Mulaney EPs Talk Seinfeld Similarities, a 'Potent' Ensemble and Dean Cain

mulaney-tca

Fox’s “cynical-but-hopeful” comedy Mulaney has been on an interesting journey since its early days as an NBC pilot — but creator/executive producer/star John Mulaney is confident in the show’s future, largely because of the strength of its cast.

RELATED Fox’s Fall Premiere Plan Includes Family Guy/Simpsons Crossover, 3-Part Utopia Launch, Late Mulaney Start

“The biggest revelation to me [during this process] was seeing the strength of the ensemble,” Mulaney told reporters Sunday during the Television Critics Association summer press tour, noting that we’ll really see the cast come together in Episode 6. “This is a very potent weapon.”

Executive producer/director Andy Ackerman also sang Mulaney‘s praises, going as far as to compare it to Seinfeld, which he directed and executive-produced.

“This is a cast that I’m really excited about,” Ackerman said. “I see so many similarities [with Seinfeld] in terms of the chemistry and the talent. … If we have a small percentage of the success Seinfeld had, I’ll be thrilled.”

RELATED Exclusive: Penny Marshall and Lorraine Bracco to Play Lesbian Couple in Fox Comedy Mulaney

It’s an ensemble that includes TV comedy veterans Martin Short and Elliott Gould, which Mulaney noted is “ridiculous.” When he originally wrote the pilot in his apartment, he described their characters as being a Martin Short-type and an Elliott Gould-type. “To actually get the actors themselves,” Mulaney said, “was incredible.”

(Side note: Gould will also be recurring on the second season of Showtime’s Ray Donovan, but said his “major focus” is Mulaney.)

One co-star who won’t be pulling double duty is Nasim Pedrad, who addressed her decision to leave Saturday Night Live in order to do Mulaney: “There’s nothing like [SNL], and I was lucky to be there for five years. At some point, you have to leave, and I can’t think of a better reason to leave than this particular show and this particular cast.”

But don’t expect Pedrad to find herself side-by-side with Kim Kardashian — her most popular SNL impression — on Celebrity You Guessed It, which is Mulaney‘s game show within a show. Still, Mulaney said there is one major celebrity guest fans can get excited about: TV’s own Superman, Dean Cain.

“I just set the world on fire,” Mulaney said.

Mulaney premieres Sunday, Oct. 5, at 9:30/8:30c.

1. soso says:

Well…The trailer wasn’t that (to me) funny tbh. I found Mulaney’s stand-up clips in the trailer decent and that last joke (won’t spoil it) actually got a chuckle out of me, but that was about it…

Still, I’ll give it a go.

2. “One co-star who won’t be pulling double duty is Nasim Pedrad, who addressed her decision to leave Saturday Night Live in order to do Mulaney”

I’m sorry but from what I’ve seen of this show so far, that was a bad decision. I honestly don’t see it getting renewed.

3. Scott Brecht says:

Was hoping this meant Dean Cain was part of the cast.

4. Tricia says:

Those who are still on the fence about giving this show a shot, please go over to Netflix and watch John Mulaney’s stand up special “New in Town.” If anything that should show you that he’s one of the best comedy writers out there right now.

And if you don’t like it, well, maybe I don’t get you.

5. Temperance says:

Hopefully, it’s nothing like Seinfeld, but that ‘stuff’ was a deeply dreadful show. It was so bad that to this day, Julia Louis Dreyfus and Jason Alexander send me scurrying to immediately change the channel.

6. Its on Fox? Then no. I won’t even give it a chance. And comparing it to Seinfeld doesn’t exactly help either.

7. Nick says:

John Mulaney is hilarious. I don’t care what you say. The trailer for the show wasn’t life changing but Mulaney is a hilarious comedian, so I have faith it’ll work. This is on my fall DVR radar, but too much is on Sunday nights for me to watch live.

8. You know, whether you actually liked Seinfeld or not, it was one of the biggest hits ever in the last 20 years. Pulling out such a casual comparison may come off as quite arrogant.

9. Jan H says:

Just watched John Mulaney: New In Town! It is ridiculously hilarious. I had never heard of him. Can’t wait till Oct 5, 2014 for premier on NBC! To all you naysayers… Give it a chance.

10. Ally Oop says:

Worst trailer and premise of any of the new fall shows. It did remind me of Seinfeld and that’s NOT a good thing. That show had some of the most annoying characters on television. I have no intention of even watching the pilot since it looks so atrocious.

11. Louie says:

I’m sorry but Mulaney may be a funny stand-up but that doesn’t translate AT ALL in any of the previews for this show. I also thought Seth Green is hilarious in his element… but Dads would tell you otherwise. In fact I cringe when I think people think any of the jokes and puns in the previews are even remotely entertaining.

12. Matt says:

The trailer may not be the funniest, but based on his stand up, Mulaney is a great writer. Martin Short is the most consistently hilarious comedian/actor working today, so the fact that he’s on board says a lot about this show’s potential. Throw in the insanely hot and extremely underrated Nasim Pedrad, and I see a winner here. I think it’s a good move to pair it with the awesome Brooklyn 99 along with Fox’s successful animated comedies, but the fact that it’s on Sunday night concerns me from a DVR standpoint because of shows possibly getting pushed back due to NFL double billings in the fall.