Vampire Diaries Season 6: Elena's Grief, Stefan's 'Big Choices' and More Scoop

Vampire Diaries Season 6

With just under 11 weeks to go until the return of The Vampire Diaries, TVLine caught up with executive producer Julie Plec to see how Elena and the Salvatores are coping with that massive season finale twist.

RELATED Vampire Diaries Adds Hit the Floor Star as ‘Tough’ New Doctor in Season 6

According to Plec, Season 6 — beginning with the Oct. 2 premiere, which we’re told is titled “I’ll Remember” — will be a trying time for all of our favorite characters, particularly those left behind to mourn the apparent losses of Damon and Bonnie. (Spoiler alert: Don’t expect any otherworldly reunions in Episode 1.)

Let’s begin…

TVLINE | I have to ask: Is there a chance Damon and Bonnie will like where they are? Is it almost heaven-like?
Ooh, well… I can tell you this: Where they are is part of the mystery of the beginning of the season. It’s not torturous, but it’s by no means a roller coaster ride of fun. If nothing else, it’s a bit of an existential experience. [Laughs]

vampire-diaries-season-6-spoilers-bonniedamonTVLINE | How aware of their new surroundings will they be?
They’ll be aware that they’re no longer where they thought they were — but they’re also not dead, per se. They’ll be asking a lot of questions, along with the audience, including: What’s going on? Where the hell are we? And how do we get home?

TVLINE | There’s a crazy internet rumor out there that suggests Elena will want to reunite with Damon so badly, she’ll consider dying to join him. Is there any truth to that?
I’ll just say that I think it’d be super sad for a young woman in her vibrant, early years to take her life and die on the sword for the love of a man. As much as I am a romantic and believe in true love, I also believe in therapy and trying to pull yourself together and getting on with your life.

TVLINE | Is she pulling herself together? What can you say about Elena’s mental state in Season 6?
She’s trying, and I won’t necessarily say she’s succeeding. She’s got some complicated coping mechanisms that are making her be things and do things and act in ways that we wouldn’t normally expect from her.

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | And how is Stefan coping with the apparent loss of his brother?
Stefan has made some very big choices about how he wants to live his life in the wake of his brother’s death. That’s part of the first round of reveals of where our characters are. Is he off on the top of a mountain talking to a shaman? Is he trying to get answers from a witch about how to fix everything? Is he back to being a ripper? Is he drowning his sorrows at the bottom of a bottle? We’ll see…

Vampire Diaries fans, we’ll have more Season 6 scoop in the coming days, but for now, give us your thoughts on Plec’s latest teases. How do you hope Elena and Stefan will fare this fall? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. spindae2 says:

I would like for Elena to go on witch hunt and try to kill Liv and Luke. That would be interesting to watch.
    About Stefan, I hope he will play something funny and drunk Paul pulls that off really well,

• IMember says:

Don’t kill alive Liv and Luke. They’re the mighty wonder twins! I would personally like to see a lot more of them.

One question I have is, why so many new characters all of a sudden? We’ve had a fair share of guest characters pop up in the past, but this season they see to be casting a ton of people.

• spindae2 says:

I said she should try not succeed ;-). I think Julie is trying to find some replacments for the original trio and work out a crew for a potential spin off

• Pedro says:

To be fair last year they also casted around 4-5 people for season 5 (Qetsiyah, Nadia, Wes, Aaron, Jesse, etc) so most of them will prob eventually die (hell, all 5 I mentioned are dead now).
        I’m also hoping to see more of the twins! I think they were one of the best parts of the 2nd half of s5.

2. I Would like to see STELENA Getting back together and live there lives like normal people and that Would be cool.✌️

• Damon rules says:

That would be cool? Normal lives? Well, I suggest you should watch another show (I am not offending). This show is about vampires and the lack of vampires and their “morals” last season was so boring.

• Please, Elena n Stefan seemed insignificant, monotonous n retarded when they were together early in the series. Elena even seemed alright n was smiling with Damon at a time when Stefan was dead whereas she had a really bad breakdown over Damon’s death instead in the S5 Finale. She isn’t that selfish to just run back into Stefan’s arms right after she’s lost Damon; the love of her life.

• Dmav says:

Ah but she was selfish enough to sleep with Damon the day after she and Stefan broke up. Elena and Damon happy?? Were you watching the same show, outside if having sex they couldn’t get along and the both turned into horrible people.

• Caitlin says:

Exactly! I keep saying that! She was a thousand times more upset over Damon’s death than Stephen’s! Damon is her soulmate, and Stephen was just something that led her to Damon. If she really ever wanted to be with Stephen, she wouldn’t have done half of the things she did with Damon while they were still together. I say DELENA end game! If there is not a reunion in season 6 with Damon and Elena where they both admit how broken and empty they felt without each other I’ll scream.

• haley says:

STELENA is life my whole life actually is STELENA.

• Tala says:

Then the story will finish.Come on.

3. Deion says:

Thank you, Julie Plec. I would not be able to deal with sad, sad Elena. Jeremy is barely going to graduate high school, if at all, and he’ll definitely fall through more cracks with Elena lying in bed all season, or until she hears something about someone that might be able to let her talk to Damon and she does something stupid to accomplish it.

4. Dakota says:

I think they are taking things from the books in a way with the otherworld and Damon and Bonnie will bond or grow closer. But I don’t think it will be romantic just a friendship kind of thing they will protect each other by any means and hopefully reunite with friends and loved ones. I can’t wait to see season 6. I think it’s gonna be good :)

• Tala says:

I think if Damon would betray Elena on the other side,I mean date Bunny,If i would be Elena I would betray Damon as well and go out with Stefan.

5. Cali says:

All I hope is that Stefan and Caroline don’t get together. I love the two of them as BFFs, I want them to show us that a guy and a girl can actually be super tight without wanting to hookup!
    Other than that, I’m game for anything they throw at us this season. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I’ve become sort of numb to any “deaths” or any attachments to the characters in the past few seasons. It used to shock me and enrage me but then two episodes later, the person was resurrected, so I’m kinda over it and never know when to actually feel a true loss. In that respect, the show had too many loopholes, too many times.

• Claire says:

Completely agree with you on not having Caroline or Stefan get together romantically. That would be such a refreshing change!

• Megan says:

It drives me crazy that they are hinting at them being together. Stefan needs a friend outside of relationship drama and in the first season he told Caroline that it would never happen and I think he should stick with that.

6. Babybop says:

I’m nervous for season after how awful this past season was, but I’m really glad that Julie said Elena won’t kill herself just to be with Damon. If she bucks up, get stronger, and gets through this with minimal whining, I may like her better. Because at the moment, she is my least favorite character on TV…

7. Gerald says:

Thank goodness Rick is there for Elena and Jeremy (who lost his girlfriend too lest we forget). They’ll need him.

8. Alice says:

I’m excited to see how Damon comes back and how he and Elena progress when he does. It must be hard for her to go from totally and completely in love, losing him and then getting him back. I miss Delena. <3

• Hina Hussain says:

I miss DE too, I understand n saw what the writers did to them later on in the series which really sucked but I really miss what they used to be early in the series, u know, when they were intriguing, exciting n legendary whereas Elena n Stefan seemed insignificant, monotonous n retarded at the start.

• Dmav says:

“Retarded” what are you 12. Intriguing and legendary??? I think you have been reading to much fan fiction those two were never either one if those things. Perhaps soul sucking toxic vampires.

• Tala says:

I don’t think JP can manage to bring Damon back,but i wish she brings him because I miss Delena as well.

9. Josh says:

That’s TVD with you…Girls grieve, guys make choices. At least she isn’t having Elena kill herself.

• Nsfa says:

Did you read the article, or just the headline? I can see what you’re saying generally, but I don’t think this particular article warrants a feminist critique… It’s very clear that Elena and Stefan are both grieving and making choices.

• Josh says:

I read the article. She just talks about Elena’s sadness and the surprising ways in which she deals with that sadness. I don’t think Stefan isn’t grieving but I could bet that Stefan will be much more proactive than Elena who’s become such a passive participant in her own show.

10. potterhead says:

i need damon and bonnie back and steroline

11. Liza says:

I hope that elena gets a new guy, and grows closer to stefan again. We had 2 seasons of stelena, 2 seasons of delena, it is time for something different. I really really really hope that this season isn’t about delena’s journey back to eachother, because i thought this show was about a love triangle, so her feelings for stefan need to comeback at the end of this new season. So i hope for a new love for elena, some girls for stefan (PLEASE not caroline) and for damon some bonding time with bonnie. Also hoping for more brother bonding, more flashbacks and more friendtimes. And i can’t wait for the stefan and damon reunion this season!

• leah says:

It wouldn’t make sense to bring in a new love interest for Elena. And it’d still be a love triangle if she doesn’t fall back into Stefan arms just because Damon’s gone. Love triangles usually end with the character deciding which love interest he/she loved more.

12. Jane says:

“I’ll just say that I think it’d be super sad for a young woman in her vibrant, early years to take her life and die” – Julie Plec

Yeah, except that she did kill herself with Damon already in the s5 finale. Delena is a huge wrong message and a big part of the fandom is disgusted (despite the few remaining vocal DE fans), get rid of it!

• And technically vampires are already dead anyway.

• Jane says:

True, but it still makes it a bad example, since they’re also still alive.

• Damon rules says:

*Sigh*. Yes. A vampire show is often used in education. Thank you for letting me know that they were wrong. The next time my boyfriend is going to bring back his brother and our loved ones from the dead I will just wait.

Well, maybe we should convince schools and teachers to banish good literature too. Just in cast children want to follow i. e. “Romea and Juliet”.

13. Mikael says:

I was really hoping Lexi would get to come back. I always loved her interaction with Stefan. And if she were to come back, she could be Stefan’s best friend again and he could get with Caroline.

14. Christi says:

The last 2 seasons have Not Been very good so I am hoping this season gets back to its roots. If they bring back the travelers storyline I will stop wAtching. I am a Stelana but I do not think they will put them back together . I prefer Damian as the bad boy. He is so boring when he is with Elana.

• Hanna says:

Agree that the travellers storyline was boring. But still rooting for Delena all the way. Even though Ellena annoys me a bit since becoming a vampire.

15. Leo says:

Why can’t Bonnie and Damon stay dead dead and never set foot back in Mystic Falls? Then maybe TVD will get back into my must watch list.
    Their tendency to kill off characters (or send to netherworld) then bringing them back is, at this point super ridiculous.

• Damon rules says:

You are so right LOL … Then there would be a show without the two brothers. Remember … Stefan came back too.
      The double standard of some of you is so hilarious.

16. LadyLilli says:

Stefan and Elena will make Liv and Luke find a way to get Bonnie and Damon back. Stefan and Caroline will obviously start up romantically, while Elena mourns and misses Damon, she tries to use Jeremy to connect with Damon. Alaric is back and in the mix, not sure why.. we can’t wait to see all the plot twist! Love this show!

17. Makenna says:

I want Elena to be hunting the douche Luke, and Stefan and Caroline to be together!
    AND I WANT MY Damon BACK! Grrrr….

18. Damon rules says:

Ahhh…. Time went by… So we don’t see how the cast is reacting to Damon and Bonnies death. That is sad.

And again… If it would have been Stefan who was trapped we were forced to watch everbody griefing (including himself). Same old same old.

Seriously… I don’t like the show anymore. The writers are too obvious.

All you people out there – have fun with the never-ending triangle! I wont’t do this to me again.
    From season 1 until the end of season 5 I was watching how Damon and Elena were falling in love and it doesn’t make any sense to revive the love triangle again. Stefan and Elena have never been epic… Just a steppingstone to the wonderful love stroy between Damon and Elena!

Damon rules!

• Michelle Vilakati says:

I love Damon. I hate Delena. I used to love Stelena but honestly… Elena has become the most annoying character in the CW. Plus for a love story that’s supposed to be epic, we haven’t seen much else from Damon and Elena except having sex

• Dmav says:

If Dalena rules why are the ratings in the hole? The last two seasons the have been steadily going down and the finale was the worst. Apparently all their tweets by the same people over and over again don’t effect the ratings.

19. Kate says:

Damon and Elena has become the whole reason I love this show. I love how she makes him want to be a better person and how he challenges her to be real with herself and not just a people-pleaser. I am not a fan of Stefan and Caroline. There just doesn’t seem to be any big romance between them. I am glad that they understand each other so well, but I just don’t see them having big passion. They just seem like they are settling. But the passion between Klaus and Caroline was epic! Why can’t he just be good already! I’m glad the other-side is gone. It was sad to think that the supernatural were all stuck there. I hope that they are not trapped somewhere else. I really had hoped to see a girl who tells Stefan straight come into his life. Lexi was such a refreshing relationship for Stefan because with her he wasn’t such a stuffy character. He was able to be a fun loving guy! I hope to see Elena and Damon back together quickly! Oh, and I love the twins! I was really sad that they couldn’t hold out for one more person!

• Dmac says:

Ah yes, they are so good for each other: Damon tries to kill Jeremy or threatens to because he didn’t get his way. Oh and there is the whole murdering a entire family line becuase he was mad and even better killing Aaron because he thought Elena broke up with him. You are so right he has changed for the better. LOL Than we have our little snowflake Elena whose whole life is wrapped around Damon, she doesn’t even acknowledge Jeremy, her friends or Stefan. She only cares about Damon and has turned into a selfish twit with no life of her own. They are the most toxic relationship on TV right now and no, I am not a Stelana Shipper – I want Stefan as far away from that succubus as possible.

• Jen says:

just finished watching on netflix and I think that Damon and Elana are epic, carlione and Klous are awesome together! I hope they bring him back to be with her. Stefon should find a new love interest in S6 and I think that Matt should get to be with someone again. I hope they don’t keep Bonnie and Damon away for too long I want to see the reunion for them coming back to everyone.

20. silversly80 says:

Just make Bonnie a witch again Plec this is just plain wrong. With everything that’s been ripped from her and all she’s sacrificed it’s cruel to rip the very thing that helped her discover her inner strength which aided in saving the gang numerous times and never see her at least reclaim that. That’s all I care to know about. I watch the show for Bonnie Bennett, the greatest underdog in a television show in recent years, and admit the character deserves vindication.

21. Courtney cooper says:

I hope damon comes back and i think elana will become a ripper and stefan trying to pull her back

22. Chloe Nicholson says:

I think when Damon and bonnie come back Elena should die, now that would be sad, though she should come back a season later! that would be so dramatic. Also to see the Salvatore bros grieve and possibly move on and then she coming back and surprising everyone. maybe Catherine should come back as Elena dies? season 6is going to be great and I cant wait.

• TVD fan says:

Nina and the writers confirmed that Katherine is really gone-gone. But I’m not surprised if Elena will die sometime in the series. Not by suicide (JP dismissed that), and not for good of course. Maybe by rescueing the Salvatore brothers, kinda like in the books. And I think it would be interesting to see the brothers bonding over her death. But I hope that DE will have enough screentime too.

23. Lori says:

Can’t wait for season opener. Julie Plec, please take us into a Season 7 as it is rumored Season 6 is it.

24. Terri says:

just want Damon and Elena back together,,,, don’t care how, don’t care why…. just want it to happen!!!!!

25. sony says:

No! Why did Damon die? And please no STELENA! This show is just going to be really sucky if they are together! More like DELENA! And one thing that really ticks me off about this show is that tons of people are dying for Elena! Lets go down the list of people who died and yet she still hasn’t died herself. Biological Parents, Parents, Jenna, Jeremy..ish, Bonnie, Rick, Caroline, Damon! and who knows how much more people will die! Bonnie kills herself to save Jeremy’s life so that Elena would be happy? Parents die because she didn’t listen to her them? Jenna dies but for some miracle Elena didn’t die on the Klaus ritual thingy? Rick dies because she killed herself but she came back as a vampire? But yet she still lived!!?!?! Jeremy dies for some cure that Elena wants to get (Yea, he came back to life) UGH! Anyway the 5th season was probably the worst.

26. mark says:

I think luke and liv are not going to be in sn 6 at least we would have had them being mentioned by now.After all it was Luke who stopped the spell and i bet they are very far away and don’t plan on coming back.

27. mark says:

Main changes in some characters ok we already saw what happened to tyler from a hybrid to a werewolf and I have a feeling that damon will come back as human and bonnie as a witch with the other side gone means the anchorism(if there is even a word like that) was destroyed.

28. ruba says:

i think that damon had to die because if he didn’t then that means that bonnie will be dead all by herself and she wont find anyone around to help her through everything that’ll happen on the other side :(

29. Constantinos says:

I want,Damon and Bonnie to come back….But i want Lexi to come back …Because Lexi and Alaric have to fell in love ….And Because Stefan needs her ….Can i ask you something,did the original vampires die ? (Klaus,Rebekah and Elijah) and why didn’t Jenna come back she die like a vampire ?

30. rose linet says:

i realy want damon and elena together.that will make me damn happy those two belong together..damon am his number one fan

31. I think that Stefan and Caroline should be together,have supported one another and Elena has not known how to value the love of Stefan, while caroline yes. and the two of them is something sincere.

32. Dulce says:

I want to know if there’s a chance that Katherine pierce could come back?!? .. I miss her soo! .. She made the show interesting and alive! .. I wished that Elena was died in stand of Katherine ..

33. kevinaj says:

Stefan and Elena

34. drezzy says:

35. drezzy says:

and katherine come back 4 stefan..who knows it looks better than steroline

36. drezzy says:

we all knw the right thing, damon stood com back ,to contd delena..be cause elena cant go back 2 stefan..after a relationship with demon..it will look lik shes goin in circles..stefan finds a love may be caroline..bonnie should come back 4 jeremy..there need 2 be a solution to travellers..and katherine my love…come back 4 stefan..its beta dan steroline

37. Valixis says:

I really hope that Bonnie and Damon don’t come back to life anytime soon. The way they kill and bring people back so quickly to life on this show is laughable. The only show that can ever do that is DBZ. And DE made me hate this show from the moment it started. Elena underwent some serious character regression when she became a vampire. She became whinier and needier for attention. Stefan’s well being became the least of her concerns at the end of season 4 when she was busy romping around in bed with Damon Damon became less of a badass and more of a lovesick puppy, eager to do whatever it took to stay in Elena’s good graces. Even if it meant hurting the people she cared about, which she didn’t really seem to give a s*** about. She doesn’t make him any better. Both Damon and Stefan deserve WAY better than Elena. She can’t save her own a** because someone always has to save it for her, she apparently “can’t live” without a boyfriend to love her because it’s the only thing she seems to thrive on, and she couldn’t care less about her family or friends. Where was her concern or grief when her “best friend” Bonnie was in pain from bring everyone back from the other side or when she was disappearing? Julie Plec should at least try to redeem this show. She’s been focusing too much on the Originals to see how Caroline Dries has butchered it.

38. susan says:

i think damon should come back as they have wonderful thing going on tv its great to watch, also stefan should not go to caroline is heart is not in it she should be with klaus ,

39. Joy says:

I fully expect Elena to find “love” with either Enzo or Alaric before Damon comes back. It won’t be the epic and true love she shares with Damon, but that is what I am expecting, and dreading, to see!

40. Denise Janveau says:

Elena should wait and have faith that Damon will come back based on track records. Stephan should be with beautiful and vibrant CaROLINE.

41. Gtime4real says:

Damon salvatore will and must surely be back for season 6.if not the film won’t be meaningful, just wanna see him back in action.

42. Beck says:

im a huge stefan and Elena fan i would like to see them get back together and help each other with the grief..as for caroline i dont want to see her with stefan i cant see them together i like that they are really great friends and thats how they should stay. Elena switching of her humanity was an awesome story line and was played brilliantly.

43. kalliah says:

I would like to see Stefan and Elena back together I love them two together they are a beautiful couple

44. Michelle Vilakati says:

I used to love this show so much. What it’s become is saddening. It is literally a shadow of its former self.

45. Terelis Klimiont says:

Tenho muitos comentários e, até mesmo, sugestões. Mas vamos aguardar para ver como é que vai ser.

46. lakeshia heslip says:

I been watching vampire diaries since day One when it came to cw I love this show i have all them DVD

47. emerald-Mae says:

I think Stefan and Elena should get back togther not any time soon but eventually I hope they can find their way back to each other

48. emerald-Mae says:

Elena is a annoying whiny character at the moment and I dont think Damon and Elena should eventually end the whole show being together I think from damon’s death everyone should move on and find a little happiness cause they all deserve it why didn’t Elena die though? huh ? Well in the end of the whole show I want Stefan and Elena to end up together although Stefan is clearly too good for Elena

49. Becca says:

I will be extremely distraught if Delena does not get back together. I feel like the show will lose some watchers because we were all in support of their relationship. So I hope they make the right decision in bringing him back to life…….

• Dmav says:

And yet the ratings sucked. Don’t know how to break it to you the ratings went down when Delena happened. So no obviously “we” were not all in support of them.

50. Jasween says:

Just my view – The show should now jump forward by like, 5 or 10 years. The “human” characters don’t look like teenagers anymore (and the vampires look older too!). So, we should start 5 or 10 years, after Bonnie and Damon’s death. Where everyone seems to have gone their own way in trying to deal with their grief.
    In the meantime, Bonnie and Damon have been trying to get out of “wherever” they are stuck. The season should start with them coming back – and the viewers finding out how everyone has changed. Definitely would like to see Elena mature and become a strong woman (like Lexi or Katherine) who can take care of herself. Not the whiny and clingy person she seems to have become with Damon. While the passion between Damon and Elena was fun to watch, I will say that the relationship did nothing for me. Neither of them grew as individuals or characters. Damon went right back to his “bad” self when he thought that Elena was dead. I would like to see Stefan and Elena come back together…he was after all her first love (sorry Delena fans!), but in a more balanced way. They need to argue, and stand by their own convictions. Be equals in the relationship. Elena’s character has not shown that strength ever since she has been with Damon. And I also hope that Elena starts to care, really care for her friends. Her relationship with Damon has made her this one track person (and I know that vampires are supposed to be obsessive in that way!)…but still. I hope that this season, we see Elena develop as a woman, a person, a friend, a sister…and then she gets back with Stefan!
    I will say though, the idea of Bonnie and Damon as a couple is intriguing to me. Really strange and difficult to digest, nevertheless, really interesting! If that happens, I agree that the triangle of the main characters is out, but then it allows the characters to “move on”. It could start with both of them not even realizing how much they have come to mean to each other (over the years on trying to get out)…and then realizing that what they feel is way too strong to ignore! One way or the other, I would like to see them move on…Grow!
    PS: Don’t kill me Delena fans! Just wanna see some change and more to the story! Love this series and would like to continue seeing it!

• Damon rules says:

Lol… I won’t kill you… But really… Stefan and Elena? Maybe the writers will go that way (I even assume it) but it feels so wrong. Frome the very first beginning Stefan and Elena felt wrong. They had nothing that convinced me. As I mentioned above, they just felt like a stepping stone for Damon and Elena. When I watched them they always seemed to be just friends. No chemistry, no nothing. That’s why I think they are in great place right now. I for one hope they will develop a wonderful soulmate-friendship and Damon and Elena will stay lovers. I think Elena loves them both. One as a close friend and the other romatically. I hope that Elena will become stronger too. But the spoiler don’t convince me to watch season 6. Sounds like Greys Anatomy meets TVD *yawn*