CW Boss Defends Beast Renewal, Offers Supernatural Spin-Off Update, Drops Dixie Pregnancy Bombshell

Supernatural SpinOff News

Crossovers, cancellations and spoilers were on the menu during Friday’s Television Critics Association panel with CW President Mark Pedowitz.

RELATED The CW’s Fall Schedule Opens in Early October, The Flash Gets Big Boost

First topic of discussion was Beauty and the Beast — specifically, why the low-rated series was renewed for a third season. Pedowitz attributed that to its “very engaged fan based” and “very international following. In short, “We brought it back because … it’s a very profitible show for everybody.”

He noted that producers weren’t certain of its renewal when writing the Season 2 finale, crediting Brad Kern for crafting “a terrific ending, whether it was a season or series finale ending.”

As for where Season 3 could go from here: “[Vincent and Catherine] are out in the public, they’re a couple and they have to find a life together,” Pedowitz said. “[Vincent] is a medical doctor on the show, and you know what, he will get his license back.” There will also be a bit of a time jump between the finale and the premiere.

Other highlights of the CW executive panel…

* “The Supernatural spin-off that came in, creatively, did not quite get where we wanted it to go,” Pedowitz said when asked why Bloodlines wasn’t picked up. “We have told Jeremy [Carver] and Eric [Kripke] and Bob [Singer] that we’re very open to do another spin-off. We’re waiting for them to come in with whatever the new concept is. I would love to get another Supernatural spin-off [on the network].”

* Pedowitz  also discussed the upcoming Supernatural special with TVLine after the panel: “It’s a treat to the fans who’ve supported the show for the prior nine years. It’s taking you back all through the nine years. It’s giving you some commentary from the cast and the creators, Eric Kripke, and the executive producers. It’s fun. It tells you what happened over the past nine years.”

* Pedowitz emphatically denied that Hart of Dixie‘s Friday placement signals its impending end: “We’re doing 10 episodes this year, and we’re looking forward to seeing what happens.” (After the panel, he told TVLine, “[executive producer] Leila Gerstein is planning to have a pregnancy eventually happen to the character of Zoe Hart.”

* When asked whether or not Pedowitz took Star-Crossed fans’ complaints into consideration before canceling the alien drama, he said, “I did receive 90 boxes of pasta this week. We appreciate the fans and everything they do … but there just weren’t enough of them to keep the show going forward. We appreciate their passion for the show.”

* Future Vampire Diaries and Originals crossovers will happen, Pedowitz said, “when it’s organic.”

* New drama Jane the Virgin came to The CW because “it has a title that catches your attention.” Pedowitz previously worked with executive producer Ben Silverman when he did Ugly Betty on ABC and wanted to recreate that on The CW. As for pairing Jane with The Originals on Monday, Pedowitz said that even though the shows aren’t thematically the same, The Originals was a “self-starter” last season.” He hopes its large female audience will also love Jane.

* “We brought [The Carrie Diaries] back for a second season, not necessarily because of its ratings, but because of its digital presence,” Pedowitz said of the now-cancelled Sex and the City prequel. “But you need both aspects, otherwise you can’t sustain a show. … I was proud of the show. Again, an incredibly engaged fan base. But after a while, it just wasn’t economically feasible.”

* As for The Tomorrow People, “the show just did not generate the audience we hoped to generate [on-air or digitally.]“

1. ... says:

It’d be really nice if we could get through a romantic drama like Hart of Dixie without anyone getting pregnant. So tired of that trope, especially for hot mess characters like Zoe who have no business raising children right now.

• Lindsey says:

It’s probably just because she’s pregnant in real life.

• Hannah says:

Rachel Bilson is pregnant.

• CMarie says:

It doesn’t matter. Lots of shows have played around it (SATC, Scandal, even HoD did with Jaime King!). I think it would ruin the dynamic of the characters. Just like I’m not looking forward to Hayden Paniettiere’s pregnancy on Nashville – it’s unnecessary.

• Mo says:

Jaime King could be gone from the show for months because Lemon is a secondary character. Can’t really do that with your lead.

• Rook says:

Or it could be a better oppertunity to develop secondary characters while giving Zoe less time to deal with her real life pregnancy.

• they did do it with the lead on scandal. it worked out.

• re flower_petals: Scandal was able to hide Kerry’s pregnancy because they started filming long before she really started to show. Then they (Shonda & ABC) reduced the number of episodes of S3, so that they could further hide her real life pregnancy.

For Hart of Dixie, they only started filming at the end of June/early July, they only have 10 episodes, and Rachel’s been visibly pregnant since May/early June. Since thy apparently didn’t want to delay filming until after she gives birth, they must be writing the pregnancy into ‘Zoe’s’ storyline too.

• Whatevah says:

And how much do you want to bet it will be a WTD storyline?

• ash says:

Rachel Bilson is Pregnant. They probably wouldn’t have had Zoe be pregnant otherwise. I just hope it’s Wades.

• Dr. M says:

Some crossed signals here. According to TVGuide: Pedowitz played coy. “[Executive producer] Leila Gerstein is planning to have a pregnancy eventually happen, but not for the character of Zoe Hart,” he said.

Someone is wrong, and at the moment I’m hoping it is TVLine.

• Tracie says:

E! Online, AV Club, and Zap2It all have articles that match what TVLine said. The only one that differs is TVGuide.

• Martoukian says:

It would be a natural part of any similar show–you can call it a “trope” if you want, but that implies it’s a cheap, attention-grabbing ploy. People do actually have babies, in real life; why not on television?

2. sin bella says:

Thank you TV LINE very mucg for the above.
    I love Beauty and the Beast and cannot wait for S3. The long wait is going to be extremely painful but our beautiful show is worth the wait. !!!
    Our beast Vincent. …practicing medicine is just a dream come true! He has a lot to offer our multi talented beast! Mega excited! !!

3. ninamags says:

So the Supernatural special has already been put together?

Cool. I hope they have new interviews and comments from Jared and Jensen.

4. Tammy says:

Mr. Pedowitz has failed to mention the increased fandom since the cancellation as the series was STILL AIRING in other countries “after” it was canceled. The Facebook page alone had a quarter of a million likes and was increasing. CW made a mistake and just will not admit it or correct it by bringing back a series that deserved a chance because it was placed on the worst night of the week and opposite the olympics. What did they truly expect. What is more appealing…a show dealing with many real-life problems like racism, bullying, acceptance, love, segregation, etc or a show about a virgin who gets accidentally inseminated?

• Mo says:

I watched Star-Crossed too & felt like it was just getting interesting when it was cancelled. But you can’t blame the cancellation on 2 weeks of the Olympics. And I don’t see why those issues can’t also be addressed in Jane the Virgin, albeit in a different way. Not saying they will, but they certainly could be.

• Ally Oop says:

I only watched the 13 episodes of Star-Crossed that I had saved on my DVR after the show was cancelled due to a few good reviews that convinced me it was worth watching. It actually was a really good show, perhaps my favourite new show of the season.

• catha tillman says:

I loved that show! Really disappointed. I am so incredibly tired of “reality shows” popping up all over the place. I like a good comedy or drama with actors and actresses who can actually act! It’s crap! I hate reality tv!

• Alvillyn says:

There was no space enough for all the shows to get renewed, and the SC fans were not mobilized enough for M. Pedowitz to keep the show. It was the same for TTP, the fanbase was not mobilized enough….

• Mark says:

Pedowitz is an idiot he just cannot admit he was wrong with Star – Crossed, the show was never given a fair go — no major lead in up against the Olympics and on a Monday and next to no promotion from the network compared to the 100, Which was given the golden slot behind Arrow and promoted at every opportunity. On a ratings scale Mr Pediowitz Beauty and Beast was the lowest rated show on any network not just CW and according to TV by the numbers the worst ratings by a show in four years so to claim it was making a profit is a joke. So basically in his statement CW is all about making cheap crap than good television.

• Dee Dee says:

Mark Pedowitz did not make a mistake when he made the decision to renew BATB. This show isn’t “cheap crap”. It’s an intelligent show that has everything as well as a fine cast of actors. It deserved to be renewed for a third season. Sorry if the story isn’t to your liking, but Mr. Pedowitz’s decisions have all been the right call.

• Mo says:

Actually, I think both you & Mark are responding based on your emotional connection to your respective shows. He’s ticked because his show got cancelled, therefore the network made a bad call. You’re pleased because your show survived cancellation, therefore the network made the right call. I watched BatB the first season & while it was never a favorite I did think it was entertaining. But I quit watching this season because I just didn’t like the story anymore. I started watching Star-Crossed about 4 episodes in, honestly because William Shatner had been live tweeting. Again, it wasn’t a favorite but it was entertaining & I thought had finally started to really get interesting by the end. Sadly, it just didn’t find its audience a little earlier.

• Alvillyn says:

I totally agree with that! You have no idea of all the fans did to keep BATB, it’s probably one of the best shows on the CW right now. It had almost no promotion, no good lead during its 2nd season, and don’t tell us about Monday because we were there too! And yes it does very well overseas because people outside the US have different tastes and we love it!

• Mo says:

As I said upline, you can’t really blame the Olympics for the cancellation here. That was 2 weeks. The promotion compared to the 100 is more of a valid issue because you are right that Star-Crossed got next to none, but the 100 was a better fit with Arrow than Star-Crossed would have been IMO. If Star-Crossed had not been cancelled, I do think it had potential to build that international and online presence that has saved Beauty and the Beast but it never got that chance. Just because a show has low ratings doesn’t mean it’s not getting buzz online, and that and international markets have been profitable enough to save shows that no one thought had the ratings to continue: 90210, BatB, etc. Heck, I remember when everyone was shocked that Gossip Girl was renewed after its first season. There are a lot of factors that determine whether a show is profitable, not just ratings.

• LOL I know for shows like Gossip Girl and 90210, previous executive producer Dawn Ostroff favored those shows and renewed them despite mediocre ratings at times (and hence why they lasted to 5 and 6 seasons eventually…at which point ratings had significantly decreased.) So yes, I agree that executive producer preference can sway why certain shows are renewed, while others aren’t.

Notice also too, with the exception of perhaps upcoming freshman show ‘Jane the Virgin,’ NONE of the CW’s veteran & freshman shows really have a ‘high school’ setting anymore. (TVD began as a scify ‘HS drama’, but now in its 6th season none of the characters are supposed to be ‘HS’ anymore…which was unlike the case for ‘Tomorrow People’ & ‘Starcrossed’.)

• So you’ve researched CW profitability? I understand why a fan of Star-Crossed might be upset over its cancellation…I liked the show too…but let’s not pretend you have even an inkling of profitability.

5. Dean says:

Just throwing this in for spin off ideas. A prequel of John’s journey or something involving Bobby and Rufus.

• I’d watch that….or ‘The Crowley Chronicles’ how’d he get to be the king? How’d he get a tailor? Did his tailor know he was the king of hell? Why does he enjoy being frenemies with the boys so much? How’d he get a pet hellhound?….

• Mo says:

I would watch a spin off featuring Jody Mills & the young vampire girl she rescued last season.

• rena ben-yakov says:

Mo- I was thinking the same thing. Especially since that episode aired right before the hot mess that was the spin-off crossover kickoff. Part could be a high school drama and the rest could center on the adults who know about monsters.

• rawley says:

Oh I like these ideas. The Bloodlines idea was horrendous. The episode itself was also horrendous. I couldn’t even sit through the whole thing. Had to turn it off.

• Patrick says:

I don’t watch Supernatural. At all. Nothing against it. It was just always on vs something else I wanted to watch, and I missed too much of the early seasons to get caught up. But I am peripherally aware of the show via this site and other TV sites.

When I read the proposed write up for the spinoff, I was shocked. It was just a typical CW teen(ish) drama with some supernatural elements. The characters were not at all compelling. And it really had very little to do with the Supernatural universe at large, or so it seemed to me.

• ninamags says:

Definitely, a prequel is the way to go. The early years of John Winchester and how he started off on the hunting ways.

A Men of Letters prequel would be fantastic as well, including more info on the Judah Initiative. We need to see the Golem again.

6. fuseboxbaby says:

Yeah! finally! I have been waiting to find out if Dixie would write the pregnancy in.

i cannot wait to see the zadebaby :)

• I’ve read that the baby will be George’s baby and that the last half of the season will explore Zoey and Wade’s attempt to deal with her pregnancy with another man.

7. alistaircrane says:

Jane the Virgin is anti-abortion nonsense. I will not watch it.

• Cideric Rhyes says:

Yeah because any time someone keeps a baby they are anti abortion. Stupid people keeping the human race alive, shame on them!!!

• Marcus T. says:

if only Hollywood didn’t push pro-choice down the publics throats 99% of the time! oh wait….

• Angela says:

Um…actually, they don’t. Most shows and movies don’t even touch the issue of abortion, or if they do, it’s in a brief lip service sort of way. Otherwise, if a woman gets pregnant it’s generally assumed/expected she’ll keep her baby, and 90 some percent of the time she does.

• Mo says:

Not sure why continuing an unplanned pregnancy is “anti- abortion”… pro-choice means having options, including the choice to have the baby, right?

Not that the issue of reproductive politics will determine whether or not I’ll watch. I’ll probably wait & see how the reviews

• Megan says:

Just a side note if I were accidentally inseminated by my obgyn I would file a law suit and never have to work again!

8. Rebecca says:

Wait.. We’re only getting 10 episodes of Hart of Dixie?!

• ChicagoDan says:

Yes, Rachel Bilson is pregnant. It’s not like they can film episodes without her. Same deal with Kerry Washington and Scandal.

9. MP says:

Does anyone know if Hart of Dixie was supposed to get a longer season order before Rachel Bilson’s pregnancy came into play?

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

It would have most likely returned for another 22 episode season but I’m guessing 12 episodes were shed in light of her pregnancy. I’m pretty sure she’ll be due sometime in December or January so they wouldn’t have been able to film more episodes. Just pray that the season goes well and they get a season 5 haha.

• I think the number of episodes Hart of Dixie was given was mostly ratings & fandom based, in that considering the ratings from S3, CW is treating HOD’s S4 the same way they treated Gossip Girl’s S6 in 2012 (and Carrie Diaries S2 in 2013-14), more or less. The network gave them a shortened ‘renew’ because the ratings were so low, but there was still an on-going interest, and so they wanted to give the show an opportunity to finish without being left with a cliffhanger…Or if it has high enough ratings, to prompt a S5*. (*As may have been the case for why Carrie Diaries was renewed for a 13 episode S2.)

Or at least that’s the deal I’m guessing was brokered, since the production company that produced Gossip Girl & The Carrie Diaries also produces Hart of Dixie…and currently Hart Of Dixie is that company’s only/last show on the CW..so it wouldn’t surprise me if the abbreviated S4 is their final season, and that they were going to get a shortened season (because of last season’s ratings, etc.) even if Rachel hadn’t been pregnant in real life, now.

10. I love that the first questions were about #batb, who’s presence was barely felt during most of the CW promo this last year. Way to go Beasties, keep up the good work S3 here we come!

11. I have only 2 words for Mr. Mark Pedowitz. Challenge Accepted #StarCrossed

12. Drew says:

ISupernatural is ripe for a spinoff, but Bloodlines was too forced and broke cannon. If they want a spinoff there are a few easy ways of doing it. But they have to remain true to the world that has already been created.

13. Bwhit says:

I really want Zoe and Wade to have a baby. They both have grown up and it would be all kinds of adorable watching them juggle a Zoe pregnancy and newborn! Please let it happen :).

14. Jared says:

Only 10 episodes of Hart of Dixie???

15. Zaderinside says:

Yay for a baby zade! I can’t really wait!! *___*

16. Debra says:

I liked star crossed . I hate when a good show gets canceled.

17. Nichole says:

It is a real shame that The Tomorrow People didn’t find a good audience base, loved that show. Felt they made a mistake in either the casting of the Stephen character or in making him the “centre” of the show as such, that just didn’t work for me, otherwise it was a great show. Had a good Nikita type vibe about it (other then the Stephen character that is lol). While I understand that The CW mostly airs shows aimed at younger audiences, shows like The Tomorrow People and Nikita even had good appeal to older audiences too (well 39 in my case!). Would be nice if they made a TV movie to at least wrap up the show’s story for those of us that did watch.

18. Patrick Maloney says:

What a hypocrite! He just said that he renewed Beauty and the Beast for a very one sided reason, and after that he says Carrie Diaries was cancelled for not having two sides!

• Ally Oop says:

I’m going to share a little talked about truth regarding international sales. Shows starring blonde-haired, blue-eyes actresses don’t sell well in non-European countries. That’s why shows like Carrie Diaries sell poorly internationally compared to shows like Beauty & the Beast.

19. Jake says:

They need to totally revamp this network. I enjoy Who’s line, Arrow, Nikita, Supernatural and The Tomorrow People, but the rest are just sappy tween/teen emo dramas. Technically they should just call this the Vampire network, because minus a few Arrow promos, all they promote is the ridiculous TVD and The Originals. How the heck HOD stuck around is beyond me, Rachel Bilson annoys the crap out of me. Nina Dobrev is the Kristen Stewart of TV. If you can master one emotion and get it done, you are an outstanding actress.

• Ashley says:

Hart of Dixie stuck around because it’s cheap to make and got good enough ratings the first couple seasons for the CW. It did better than other new shows at the time, even with a bad time slot. Once you make it to season 3 you’ll be renewed for Season 4 because of syndication.

20. Boiler says:

Hopefully the performance of the 10 eps of HoD will be good enough for Season 5. If they are using Rachel’s current pregnancy for the story don’t see how it could be Wade’s. I would be a little worried about how a baby for Zoe, or even Lemon, would affect the show.

21. MichelleOhD says:

As long as its Zade! I hope HoD picks up, its a fun light show which I enjoy despite its flaws.

22. CBWBDK1 says:

Bloodline was terrible!! I’m glad it wasn’t picked up.

23. Azerty says:

It seems that since the merger between UPN and WB, the CW can’t keep a show more than 4 or 5 seasons (except for Supernatural that was already on the WB). I don’t know why and I used to watch a lot of series of the cw but now I can’t get interested in it (except for Arrow that I love and probably the Flash). Don’t know if the network changed or if I grew up but there must be a reason… I miss the old days of Smallville and One Tree Hill.

• Brandy says:

SMV lasted 10 seasons, OTH nine, 7th heaven 11,Gilmore Girls 7,ANTM is soon starting cycle 21,Gossip Girl lasted six seasons(though I admit some of these started on WB/UPN but CW still kept them past season five).

• Azerty says:

Yes but that’s my point now it’s not like that: tomorrow people cancelled after 1 season, star crossed 1 season, carrie’s diaries 2 seasons, nikita 3 seasons. Hart of Dixies has 10 episodes only, just like OTH, Gossip Girl and 90210 in their finale season so I hope for the fans there will be another seasons but it doesn’t look so good . I mean except for Supernatural and TVD they don’t tend to keep shows very long lately.

• Azerty says:

* My bad 90210 had a full season 5.

• JJM says:

But 90210 was verbally promised to the showrunners, cast and fans of getting a shortened 6th and final season. The writers had written/filmed their finale and after it was surprisingly canceled, they had to rework what they could cause of what was left of their budget. 90210 really got cheated/mistreated in it’s final year.

• Brandy says:

16 for The 100.Yes, HoD 10 cause of Rachel’s pregnancy and starting in Midseason and being close to syndication

• Mark says:

HOD only needed 10 episodes for syndication the only reason it was renewed the pregnancy was only known about and announced after renewal.

24. Ally Oop says:

HoD is getting only 10 episodes?! That sucks. I was hoping for 13. Any word on how many episodes The 100 gets for Season 2?

25. Tracie says:

I’m happy that he answered what they’d be doing about Rachel Bilson’s pregnancy. I can’t imagine the baby not being Wade’s since Zoe and Wade are the endgame couple. They’ll probably disguise her pregnancy long enough for Zoe and Wade to get together and then for Zoe to get pregnant.

26. Dee Dee says:

I congratulate Mr. Pedowitz for his decision to renew Beauty and The Beast. This show is terrific and so very interesting. Very different than the other shows on The CW, but unfortunately BATB is underrated. I hope Season 3 of BATB will get the recognition it deserves. Can’t wait for BATB to return to The CW soon after its exciting season finale. Thank you Mr. Pedowitz for giving BATB a third season,.

27. mary says:

im overjoyed to see b/b coming back again i love seeing them together , fabolous.

28. mary says:

they make a realy good couple made for each other chemistry there good one

29. Why is it EVERY show on network TV goes for “time” jumps”? Its totally unnecessary and annoys the heck out of me. The first few times okay its a gimmick..after that..just don’t bother!

30. Michael says:

What?!!? Not even 13 episodes for ‘Hart of Dixie’?? If they are working her pregnancy into the show why didn’t it get a full season? Dang. Looks like it is the final season.

31. Dr. M says:

Groan. Because as we’ve learned from EVERY medical drama on TV, medical professionals have no grasp on birth control.

32. Lisa London says:

“profitible”, seriously?

33. Jessica says:

The only SPN spin-off I’d want to see would be about the Antichrist from season 5. You can’t just introduce such a powerful character and then forget about it.

34. Rhonda says:

loved the tomorrow people- very sad to see it go!

35. Mandy says:

I watched Star Crossed and really enjoyed it. I accepted cancellation news with a shrug but on the othet hand would have been gutted if BATB had been cancelled. Its under rated and not promoted enough by CW – just my opinion. The chemistry of the lead actors is mind blowing – nothing like it on TV at the moment.

36. Adele says:

Love Beauty and the Beast, very grateful it was renewed for season 3. Can’t wait!!

37. Jan says:

I was so relieved when you brought back BATB. Love This version of Beauty n The Beast. I am disappointed to have just read about the cancelation of the Tommorrow People. Maybe if you moved it around some it might have done better! I liked it.

38. Nancy Krey says:

Can’t uber wait! I’m like every other Dean addicted female-can’t get enough of him-and now he gets to be the one not having to be all responsible! Bring it!

39. Mina says:

The Tomorrow people should have been renewed long before they thought of renewing Beauty and the Beast

40. bonnie says:

BATB should have been renewed its a FANTASTIC show, it needs more promotion though, Thank You Mr. Pedowitz!!!

41. Ashley says:

I personally think the reason Star Crossed failed was because it was promoted solely as a star crossed love story between Roman and Emery when it was a lot more than that. They should have done a better job marketing it. CW does a mediocre job of marketing a lot of it’s show, it focuses on a select few. Hart of Dixie is another one that suffered because of this, but luckily scraped by every season. Star Crossed was a good show that would have done better under different circumstance, IMO.

42. My husband wants me to mention that he would LOVE to see a Supernatural spin-off about Oz! He’s actually been saying since we started hearing mention of a spin-off. Avid watchers of Supernatural from the beginning, we were very disappointed in the direction of the gangster scenario, but are extremely excited to see what might come in the future!