Nickelodeon Cancels Sam & Cat, as Ariana Grande's Pop Career Soars

Sam and Cat Cancelled

Nickelodeon has pulled the plug on Sam & Cat, with a handful of episodes from the series’ 40-episode freshman run left unproduced.

RELATED Meet the Descendants of Maleficent, Cruella and Other Big Bads

A crossover spin-off of Nick’s iCarly and Victorious, Sam & Cat starred Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande as roommates who start a babysitting business.

“Nickelodeon will not be producing more episodes of Sam & Cat,” the network said in a statement. “We are very proud of the show and its very talented cast and we wish them all the best.”

RELATED Disney Junior to Unleash Lion King Sequel Series

Production on Sam & Cat‘s freshman run was mysteriously halted in April, shortly after racy lingerie pics of McCurdy leaked online, as well as in the wake of reports that McCurdy and Grande were at odds over the latter allegedly commanding a larger salary.

McCurdy fueled such speculation by being a no-show at this year’s Kids Choice Awards, where Sam & Cat scored a top prize, and then explaining her absence on Twitter thusly: “I was put in an uncomfortable, compromising, unfair situation (many of you have guessed what it is) and I had to look out for me. I chose to not go because sticking up for what is right and what is fair is what my mom taught me is ALWAYS the most important thing.”

Soon after, Grande herself took to Twitter to claim, “The rumors circulating about our contracts and our salary not being equal are absolutely ridiculous and false.” As for the hiatus, Grande added, “I don’t know what’s happening because I’m not directly involved with the problem.”

A rising pop star, Grande’s hit single “Problem” rose to No. 2 on Billboard’s Hot 100. She also was the recent subject of a one-day Total Request Live “revival” on MTV.

Sam & Cat‘s 36th episode “#GettinWiggy,” airing July 17, will now serve as the series finale.

1. androme3 says:

Oh well. Enjoyed it well while it lasted.

2. Guy says:

LOL @ “As Arianna Grande’s career soars” and not “After risqué pictures of Jennette McCurdy surface online”

3. rod says:

What about McCurdy`s pics, that had to be a factor, right ?. At least Nickelodeon now has one less one less problem ;)

4. Et. Al says:

McCurdy can start attending support meetings at the Peter Scolari Institute.

5. Liz says:

Can Ariana Grande please please please get a hairstylist. The awful split ends and 1998-teen-beat styling is distracting. A pop star of her level should have hair that I envy.

• Ashley says:

You do know her playing Cat is the reason for the same hairstyle she sports right? She said months ago that playing Cat required her to dye her hair for years and it lead to her hair getting badly damaged :(

• liz says:

I did not actually. That makes a lot of sense. Alright then, I’ll give her some slack for a bit while she works on getting that fixed.

• Bryce says:

Yeah, she’s doing literally everything she can to get it healthy again so she can actually do something with it. I can’t believe she let Nick made her do that for so long, but I guess a little damage to some hair is worth the cost of fame.

6. Tran says:

Sam & Cat will be missed. Ariana Grande’s music career is way better than her acting career but I still feel bad about Jennette McCurdy’s real life scandal a few months ago.

7. Eliza says:

I caught this for the first time yesterday during a marathon (due to babysitting my niece & nephew). Cute show but why did Ariana’s character have such an annoying accent/voice?

8. Wesley says:

They should bring Elizabeth Gillies back and make it “Sam & Jade.” That could be an interesting show.

9. nikki says:

that’s why they cancel sam and cat

10. shyboy says:

So wat if she did or did not pose nick puts on shows that r far worse than somthing that should be a persons privite decistion to make sam and cat is a great show and should stay on

11. james hetfield says:

Glad this show is canceled, it wasn’t funny,horrible acting and Ms.McCurdy is the one who should be called the Drama Leech.Wish the best for Ms.Grande:)

12. CK says:

Run, McCurdy. Those rabid Victorious fans are going to come after you.

13. Jessica says:

My son loves this show..I can’t stand it! It is the dumbest show ever. Storylines were the worst. And I’ve watched alot of Nick shows over the years with my 4 kids. But for me, it’s mostly because of Cat, I really DISLIKE her character everything about her is very annoying, I felt the same way watching Victorious, but I really liked that show lol. So glad S&C got cancelled! My opinion!

14. klongbb says:

Now that it’s canceled… I’m all :”( Arianna and Jen, think about your fans… Think about how much they love you guys. And PLEASE stop arguing because one of you guys are getting paid more than the other. If that even is the reason.. I mean like, I would give whoever isn’t getting paid enough ALL OF MY MONEY cuz you guys are awesome, and I have $242.64. So ya. If you guys are reading this, hopefully you will stop fighting and make up… please.. :'( It would mean ALOOOOOTT to me..

15. Iraqis says:

I wish it haven’t end it ihad a crush on grande

16. Luis says:

I’m crying so hard 😭

17. Jake jacob says:

I hate you .

why did you cancel Sam&cat.
    I’m giving you a year to put

18. Jake jacob says:

I’m giving you a year to put Sam&cat
    back on the air and if you don’t put it back in a year I’m going to track you down and your going to die.

19. daisy says:

Why did you cancelled sam and cat
    Is cat going to jail in real life yes or no?

20. You guys are crazy to take these fun shows off air. My grandchildren are heartbroken. Was their favorite. :( very upset with you.

21. mikayla says:

I think they should put Sam and cat bake on because it is a awesome show and I don’t like how they left us hanging on the last ep and that bloose so put it bake on because no one is whatheing Nike anymore because you took off Sam and cat good by

22. mikayla says:

You should put Sam and cat back on TV because it was an aswome show and am out of people loved the show SO PUT THE SHOW BACK TtttttttttVvvvvvv

23. CelticGhirl06 says: