Memories from the Set: Seth Gabel Talks Past Roles on Sex and the City, Nip/Tuck, Fringe and More

MFS_Salem_DW

A recurring feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs.

Cotton Mather has come a long way since Salem first premiered, with the once god-fearing reverend slowly transforming into an almost scientific thinker. “He starts out as a villain,” Seth Gabel tells TVLine.”But the second Giles Corey’s blood splatters on his face it’s like this rebirth of the character. He gets a real sense of the horror and injustice that’s happening.”

RELATED Salem‘s Seth Gabel Talks Cotton’s Transformation, Upcoming Death Toll and His Favorite Pee Break

Gabel believes that Cotton’s friendship with John Alden (played by Nikita‘s Shane West) is also partly responsible for the transformation.

“Cotton is very much an intellectual [who] is afraid to take action and is very vulnerable with his emotions,” Gabel says. “He meets this other person who inspires him to take chances and stand up for what he believes in, even if it means it’s going to hurt. … The journey Cotton goes through in season one is one of overcoming the tyranny of his own father [and] stepping into his real power with the help of John Alden.”

RELATED Salem Renewed for Season 2 at WGN America

Salem finishes it’s first season run Sunday on WGN America at 10/9c. At TVLine’s request, the Fringe alum took a stroll down memory lane, recalling some of his past TV roles, including a turn as Sarah Jessica Parker’s “sweet young sailor” on Sex and the City and the Dirty Sexy Money reunion on Ironside.

Click here to browse our gallery of Gabel’s earlier roles, with commentary, then drop a comment below with your favorite memory of the Salem star.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Memories From the Set

1. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

These are awesome, you guys should do them more often. The part about his grandma was hilarious. But most importantly thank you for the back to article link in the gallery.

2. ChrisGa says:

Gabel’s a great actor, definitely one of the standouts on Salem along with Janet Montgomery and Stephen Lang. I will say his performance on Arrow made me cringe–totally over-the-top in the absolute worst way, bordering on campy; it really didn’t jive with the tone of that show IMO.

3. Steven says:

I’ve loved Seth since Fringe. He’s so cute. And i love that episode of sex and the City, but never realized that was him!

4. Amanda says:

Dirty Sexy Money!! I still want my Jeremy Darling back!

5. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I forgot he was on FRINGE I really liked that show too why end it in only 5 seasons? I miss WALTER!!!

6. Lindsey says:

I’ve loved him since Nip/Tuck. Amazing, underrated actor, and he seems like such a nice guy too.

7. Fringe was my favorite role of his. I was wary about the introduction of new characters to the show at the time but Lincoln became one of my favorite characters. I loved every version of him.

8. Lizzie says:

I think Seth Gabel is great. Loved Loved him on Fringe. He filled that little void when Peter wasn’t there. I thought he was great as the count on Arrow. He played the count like the drugged out crazy he is.

9. Christian says:

For the longest time, I swore he played Carter Baizen on Gossip Girl. Am I the only one who confuses him with Sebastian Stan?

10. GildedRose says:

Seth Gabel has done some of my favorite roles on TV. I’ll never forget that Closer episode, and the Count ep State v. Queen on Arrow — with the Count grabbing Felicity and Oliver and he facing off in the offices… one of my favorite eps.

11. Mick says:

I have to disagree with your grandma Seth Gabel, that closer episode made me notice you as an actor. I love how Peter Krause once described ABC as the ABC grinder after doing Dirty Sexy Money.

12. TV Gord says:

The next time that you interview him, I would really like to know how he was related to Arlene Francis (What’s My Line?) and her husband, Martin Gabel. Whenever he mentions them, he doesn’t say how they were related, and as a fan of all three of them, I would like to know! (Thanks in advance.) :-)

13. Joey Padron says:

Seth does great on every role he did on TV. He’s become one of my favorite actors in past few years.