What Happens Next: What Will Bring Scandal's Olivia Back to D.C.?

Scandal Season 4 Preview

TVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes

When last we tuned into ABC’s Scandal, Olivia had declared herself to be the scandal in need of fixing, so she accepted sometime-beau/sometime-stalker Jake’s invitation to get away from it all, once and for all. But surely something’s gotta lure her back to D.C., right?

RELATED Columbus Short Discusses Scandal Firing: ‘They Did the Right Thing’

Will it be the news that Harrison (we presume) was indeed shot dead by Tom, at Rowan’s bequest? Or, since secrets don’t keep long at all on Scandal, perhaps Liv will learn that Rowan, and not her mother, orchestrated the murder of Fitz’s son Jerry?

Or maybe, just maybe, Jake’s not all that?TONY GOLDWYN, BELLAMY YOUNG

The other big question as Season 3 came to a(n early) close regarded the Grants’ marriage, which had been tested over the years in seemingly every way possible, but now had to sustain the tragic loss of a teenage child. Did Jerry’s death crystallize for the couple what’s really important in life, erasing their respective past misdeeds? Or was it the straw that broke the First Couple’s back?

RELATED Eye on Emmy: Bellamy Young on the Scandal Twist That Made Mellie a Survivor (and the One That ‘Killed’ Her)

Rewatch Season 3’s closing montage below (c/o ScandalTVGladiators), then review our pair of polls and share your predictions for how Season 4 will start out.

1. C says:

Jake+Olivia icky

• ... says:

Olivia/Fitz are worse w/r/t ick factor. They had chemistry once upon a time and I rooted for them during season one and into season two, but their whole relationship is a toxic cycle of yelling, tears, forlorn glances, sex and frankly, it was exhausting to watch for much of season three. They’re two people who bring out the absolute worst in one another (Olivia’s daddy/power issues, Olivia’s self-destruction, Fitz’s possessiveness/anger streak, Fitz’s resentment of the life he was forced into) and all they have keeping them together is their sexual chemistry and self-hatred.

• sarag says:

YES! This! All of this! I was getting so bored and tired of Olivia in s3 because of this.

• didi says:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bree says:

Olivia and Fitz may at this point be utterly unworkable, not least because her father murdered his child which is a lot for any couple to get past, but in NO way is it worse than Jake.
        As women we need to stop overlooking a domestic violence situation simply out of dislike for the alternative. With the possible exception of Huck and Quinn there is no relationship on scandal worse than Olivia and Jake.
        Jake has hospitalised her, throttled her, threatened to kill her, killed on of her closest friends and made and distributed a sex tape of her which is still in the hands of at least 2 people.
        This is domestic violence and the fact that he media are normalising it and Jake as a viable love rival is really SICK. To paraphrase Will Ferrell in Zoolander, ‘I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!’
        How are the long articles about misogyny in game of thrones and yet Jake’s behaviour Is treated like it’s okay by everyone, even ABBY who was battered?
        Continuing to normalise Jake’s behaviour in this way is dangerous and irresponsible.

• RReg says:

And oh what a chemistry between the two of them. I so would like to see more of that!

2. JJM says:

I can actually see Fitz and Mellie being stronger after this. I think Mellie has finally worked out that Fitz and herself are over, but there’s that mutual ground. The last couple of episodes (of season 3) really came full circle for them and I think it’s the beginning of something new. The loss of a child is beyond comprehensive and that’s something for them to work on together and try to move forward with.
    Besides, I think we’ll have Fitz hating Olivia when she gets back as he’ll turn on her for leaving at the worst time possible in his life.

• bemoor8 says:

Unfortunately most couples that lose a child usually break up, accusing each other of the tragdy. So, no it will not bring them together but further them apart. Liv and Fritz will definitively be together!!!

3. Ange says:

What are you talking about :) Jake is all of that. I thought you knew.

4. ME says:

Noel, I mean, Jake has got to get the girl this time!

5. Tai says:

Jake isn’t all that?! Crazy talk. I know I’m one of the few but I actually like Jake with Olivia. It’s sadly a much healthier relationship than she has with Fitz. I’m so over them already. So if she wants to take a few weeks off to stand in the sun with Jake, I’m all for that. Much better than her crying and drama with Fitz. I’m sure they’ll be back to that pretty soon into the season. Poor Jake.

6. Kat Aston says:

Olivia and Fitz will never be over. They are the main couple/attraction to Scandal. The show wouldn’t have ever gotten off the ground if Fitz and Mellie were the main couple. Kudos to Shonda for pairing two beautiful, attractive, and sexy people together. The word chemistry has been used so many times with this couple that we all could be millionaires. I don’t know why a small minority of fans want Mellie to be with Fitz, when you all know he will never get over Olivia. He’s only been cordial to Mellie and has never shown her any affection in the present day. It’s as if people want to see Fitz make love to Mellie the way he does to Olivia, That’s sick and it would make Fitz and Scandal look ridiculous. This isn’t a competition; it’s about two people who are madly in love. Allow Mellie and Andrew to move forward and stop fantasizing about Fitz and Mellie. We want Scandal to stay on the air, not tank in the ratings

7. Razzy says:

I think that Mellie and Fitz will find common ground after their sons death, and now that he knows the truth about what happened to Mellie I don’t know that he’ll leave her. I’m actually rooting for these two because like someone else mentioned, they came full circle. I’m also over the whole Olivia and Fitz tragic, toxic love story, I was actually over it last year but thought that they would figure it out, I was wrong. Olivia is a stronger person without Fitz in her life, he’s the unstable one without her, which makes him come off pathetic.

8. caro says:

loveee Jake and Olivia

9. bj says:

Fitz is like an addict and Olivia is his drug. He can’t seem to function if she’s not there to tell him what to do. Maybe with Olivia gone he will finally turn to Mellie and she’ll take Olivia’s place as his crutch.

I agree with those who say his relationship with Olivia is now getting too exhausting to watch. Enough already. That’s not true love.

10. ronnie says:

It will be more interesting to see if Fitz and Mellie grow closer. The loss of their child will bond them closer to their other children. Also, now that he understands what happened to her and what caused her to shut herself off from him, they will be closer than ever. Then, when the marriage is going so well, Olivia Pope returns to town and Mellie will find out about it first and not tell Fitz or Cyrus, and then….DRAMA! Can’t wait.

• Bree says:

Mellie and Fitz by their own admission never loved each other even when they married. They could become friends again which would be nice, but that’s about it. Still this is Scandal, we could find out in Season 4 that they’re siblings!

11. Tran says:

Harrison will be a goner now that Columbus Short is out of Scandal because of his real life problems with the law. I’m going to watch the entire first half of Season Four beginning in the Fall and then switch over to The Blacklist come mid-season 2015 in the 9 p.m. Thursday night time slot and I’m not so sure if I’ll be watching the the other half of the season when Scandal is back from its hiatus (several ABC dramas always have split seasons).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK!

• Christie says:

For her character’s sake, I hope Olivia comes back because she hears about Harrison. Otherwise she’s going to get so much hate for staying away. And I don’t get how anyone can get invested in Jake & Olivia. The show isn’t even hiding the fact that Jake is nothing but a plot device. I wouldn’t be surprise this season begins with Olivia dreaming of Fitz, but it’s then revealed she’s with Jake. When you see stuff like that, how can you take Olake seriously?

12. Autumn says:

I’m surprised at people who likes Jake for Olivia, after he shocked her and threatened her life. they still think he’s an awesome guy. I guess on Scandal this kind of behaviour is acceptable. Jake should have never made it this far on Scandal, he’s a dead weight to the storyline.

13. Shawnee says:

For someone who fell in love with this show because of the chemistry between Fitz and Olivia I must say it’s a real tragic story. This is definitely not the show I once loved. The whole B613 story arc really turned me off! The supposed to be relationship (I mean come on can we really call it a relationship) between Jake and Olivia feels forced. Chemistry….there is none! Oh and let’s not forget he gave Olivia a concussion, choked her, used her as a human shield and threatened her life. And this is the guy people want Olivia with? Truth be told Jake isn’t all that!! Bring back the cases of the week and the take charge Olivia Pope. I want the show that I once loved back!!

• Lola says:

Don’t despise. Jake and Olivia are not the endgame. That is not the story that is being told. Olivia is testing the waters with Jake and using him for her physical needs because the affair with Fitz if off and on, although she cares for him. The ‘relationship’ with Jake is one-sided. Olivia calls the shots: she shows up at his place for s.ex when she feels like it. Fitz shows up at Olivia’s place like he owns the place, Olivia never allows that from Jake. Sometimes Olivia uses Jake to get at Fitz.

Real love notwithstanding, adultery is difficult, Fitz is POTUS and Mellie still loves Fitz. Before Fitz and Liv can be together as a couple, they have to go through the wringer. It is difficult and unpleasant hence the rollercoaster in S3.

Granted S3 sucked because Jake was forced on the viewers. So much air time was wasted on Jake in S3, yet he remained uncompelling as Command and as Liv’s love interest. That’s one of the reasons Scandal was hard to watch in S3.

Here is my take on the story Shonda is telling and my predictions for S4:

S1: showed us this great , extraordinary love of Olitz
      S2: was the ‘informal’ ending of the Grant’s Marriage, This happened in S2 episodes 20 and 21 with the running out of the clock on the Grant’s marriage. Notice that there was no intimacy (forced or otherwise) or real affection between Fitz and Mellie throughout season 3 (except in the finale when little Jerry died and Fitz found out about the rape).

S3: Showed Olivia’s back story crafted around B613; dealt with the fallout of the clock running out on the Grant’s marriage, tested the strength of Olitz love with operation remington, Mellie’s rape, Fitz’s reaction to Mellie relationship with Andrew, Olivia with Jake and of course, the crazy Popes. S3 is when Mellie finally accepting Olivia’s place in Fitz’s life. Shonda used S3 to tell the public that Scandal does not condone adultery:)

The Olivia we saw in S3 was not due to the ‘abusive or toxic’ relationship with Fitz but because of her parents in her life. Season 3 showed the obstacle to Olivia’s happiness: her parents. Since her parent showed up, Liv’s life has been turned upside down, she lost herself (hence her jumping between Fitz and Jake), gone is the formidable Olivia Pope. Her parents are the reason why Olivia cannot totally commit or truly love anyone. She runs. She pushes people away except Huck because according to Olivia, Huck was the only one whose eyes were sadder than hers.

S4: I predict season 4 will be when the Grants let go the animosity and start to become friends. Although I think they may become intimate or make a fail attempt to repair the marriage for the sake of their surviving kids.

Olivia will continue her dalliance with Jake in order to pull away from Fitz. It won’t last.

Mellie will initiate the divorce, probably find love with Andrew. Fitz will be alone and will become a better president and man. At the end of season 4, I predict Olivia will be the one fighting for Fitz’s love because, I believe, for all of Fitz’s weaknesses and tantrums, he is a very determined guy and stay true to his course. Remember, despite his love for his Livie, Fitz looked Olivia straight in the eye and ended their relationship on two occasions.

Olivia and Fitz will reunite before the end of season 4, for how long is anyone’s guess!

14. Lola says:

The people that wants Jake with Olivia do so because they want Fitz to remain with Mellie. This people claim Fitz is emotionally abusive etc. and should not be with Olivia however this same people want emotionally abusive Fitz with Mellie. Most people that hate on Fitz do so because Fitz chose Olivia over Mellie.

Fitz and Olivia are the essence of the show so any relationship with a third party is temporary. One thing the show has been consistent about since 2×20 when Fitz ran out the clock on is marriage to Mellie (if you read between the lines, the Grants marriage unofficially ended in 2×20) is that Mellie and Fitz are over romantically. S4 will see the Grants let go the animosity and actually become friends. Mellie will initiate divorce in S4 but by then Olivia will be with Jake. Olivia will continue her dalliance with Jake to get her mind off Fitz but it won’t last. I think Fitz will have more backbone in S4 and will not pin for Olivia as in previous seasons. Olivia will be doing most of the chasing towards the end of S4. Expect the divorce to drag out forever because Mellie is great on Scandal and is not going anywhere soon.

People will get to see the other side of Jake and it won’t be rosy. Shonda is great at breaking down characters and peeling out the outer layers. So far Jake has been an Enigma and has fooled the simple minds and the gullible audience.

In the end, we may well see Liv and Fitz together as a couple however it is more likely that everyone in these love triangles will go their separate ways.

15. Anon432 says:

I’m laughing at the same people who hate Fitz because he is in love with Olivia and claim he is abusive but yet want to see him find love with Mellie. Are these people watching the same show? The Fitz and Mellie marriage was always a political partnership which started out amicably but it was never about love. They don’t have the same beliefs and was never a good match. The people rooting for Mellie should want her to be with Andrew who loves her else they are hypocrites.

Contrary to the naïve opinions, the death of a child usually breaks a marriage apart. It rarely makes a bad marriage better. It highlights the fact that life is short and it is time to move on and achieve personal and professional goals.

As for Jake, is there a more useless character on a TV show? The Jake and Olivia story feels forced not organic and the actors have zero chemistry. Also this relationship really is abusive – physically (choking) and emotionally (save me save me, STFU and save your damn self).

I hope season 4 goes back to focusing on OPA and less White House and relationship drama. Plus please for the love of God end the B613 nonsense.

16. cool breeze says:

I fully expect to see Mellie and Fitz on common ground and Jake and Olivia enjoying their time in the Sun at the beginning of Season 4, but this won’t last past two episodes (IMO). Olivia must return to her gladiators. Fitz and Mellie WILL face new challanges in their relationship. Olivia is still a huge part of their lives. Jake well…. he needs to find a job (LOL). That unemployment check will run out soon. For those who are saying they are sooo over Fitz and Olivia , I understand but Olivia and Jake will become evenually become tiresome to watch because there is no such thing as a healthy, stable relationship in the Scandalverse lol.

17. Lola says:

Scandal is huge in the US, not so much in the UK where I live. As an outsider who enjoy Scandal, it has been difficult to listen and read about all the Fitz hate. The main stream media idolizes Mellie, who by the way is one of my favourite characters on Scandal. Mainstream media continues to push for Jake& Olivia pairing and bend over to make Jake relevant with articles upon articles demonizing Fitz and humanizing Jake. For the under 21s, one can understand why Jake is a favourite because lets face it, Scott Foley looks kind of delicious, and those eyes:)
    Other than that, anyone/media who routes for a state assassin that has physically abused, threatened to kill, slut shamed a lover and betrayed their friend’s trust (Fitz), as a viable option for the formidable Olivia Pope does not like Olivia.

happy Mellie = happy mainstream media.

Despite the US having an AA Potus in real life, race remains a major issue even in the matter of the heart. I hope Shonda will let true love prevail. Life is hard enough.

18. Erica says:

Honestly, I believe either someone (Rowen) tries to or succeeds in killing David, after Jake gave him the B6-13 files and David got too deep.

Also Mellie and Fitz, while together and an united front and strong. I do not think that their relationship is physical (sex), but otherwise good, healthy and strong, better than it has ever been before.

I’m not sure I even want Olivia back!

• RReg says:

And this is what I simply do not understand how and why some of you people watch the show. Scandal is about Olivia. How is it you do not understand that without Olivia there cannot be a show call Scandal?

19. Jake says:

I hope we get back to what made Scandal so awesome..Liv and the team fixing things. I get the whole side story of B6-13 and Fitz and Mellie, etc…But I like seeing Liv and the team in action and please please give Abby and Huck more screen time.

• cool breeze says:

I hope we see more of OPA next season as well. A good balance between OPA, the Whitehouse, and B6-13 is what I think the viewers want to see although I personally wouldn’t miss B 6-13 if the entire organization imploded. That whole part of the story brought alot of unnecessary drama into most of the characters lives.

• RReg says:

I would like to see more OPA. I have no interest in seeing the White House. If I want to see the White House I watch Veep on HBO.
        In Scandal, the White House only exists because of the Olivia factor. It’s one of those peripheral agents that could be done away with – just like Mellie.
        B6-13 plot needs to be put to rest – enough already. We have seen her two dysfunctional parents. We understand what makes he who she is. Enough already. No more spy plots.

20. Cas says:

Essentially I feel Jake and Fitz are the same except Fitz has people do his dirty work because he is the President after all. Jake was the one doing all the dirty work. Jake wasn’t a good guy for those people thinking he was. He killed James, who I liked. The fact is, without any of them, Olivia has all kinds of issues and will most likely drag any guy she is with down with her. So we can all blame Fitz or Jake but remember they all keep going back to each other and I don’t think either of them are bad or good for each other. As far as losing a child, I wouldn’t mind seeing Fitz and Mellie not hating each other if they are going to stay married but actually I have heard the opposite in that losing a child does terrible damage to a marriage if not taken care of. And I don’t see them as the type to deal with it properly. But they may surprise us all. I firmly believe that Olivia and Fitz are the Meredith and Derek of Scandal though so they will be together in the end. However, I also think that after his presidency ends I would be that those two people are completely different people and maybe even better people. The people and places you surround yourself with can sometimes shape your personality so maybe that is why Jake and Fitz as well as Olivia all make horrible decisions at times and treat each other like crap.

21. RReg says:

I have made two postings and none of them show up. Why?

22. RReg says:

I have made 3 posting and none of them show up. I would like to know why.

23. RReg says:

Here is what will happen, because it has happened for three seasons now and I’m afraid Shonda does not have the creativity to write anything different. I’m assuming a 13 episodes season, but if there are more episodes just pro rate what I have said:

Episodes 1-5 Fitz and Liv are on the outs. Fitz and Mellie have reached some sort of accommodation.

Episodes 6-7: Fitz and Liv start to dance around each other again

Episodes 8-10: Fitz and Liv back together again

Episodes 11: Something rears it’s head to start breaking up Fitz and Liv again.

Episodes 12-13: Fitz and Liv on the outs again.

• Shawnee says:

This is exactly what will happen!! This show is afraid to make bold moves and I am not talking about killing people. I am talking about A DIVORCE!! Is Shonda bold enough to make that happen? Until there is a divorce we will keep getting the same repetitive story line involving Olivia and Fitz.

• RReg says:

Shonda is not bold enough. I suspect the management at ABC has more power in how the story plays out than we are led to believe. God forbid that the most powerful man in the world leaves his blue blood white woman for a black woman!!

Now I ask you, what could be more scandalous than that? But this is not something that anyone has the cojones to show IMO.

The same repetitive story will not work for me this season. I came late to the Scandal party and had to binge watch to catch up. Having done so, I have a really good sense of the story – and the on again off again relationship is weak and tiresome. After binge watching I wanted to throw the tapes out because the break ups seems too manufactured and so silly. If this plot device of make up break up occurs in season 4 as well – I will be exiting stage door left… or is that right….

• Cas says:

Way to make it about race. I was wondering when someone would do that. I’m thinking it’s more of the fact that what President has ever divorced his wife during office? Or left his wife for another woman period during office? If the President can’t even save his marriage why would you want him running the country? I’m thinking that is how it would be looked at. They would probably try to impeach him for leaving his wife for another woman. Heck remember Bill Clinton?

• RReg says:

What on earth is going on with this site? I just wrote a detailed response and it did not show up. I have little inclination of re creating it. This site is beginning to annoy me.

• RReg says:

Of course the racial aspect of the dynamic plays into the relationship plot. I fail to understand why you do not think it does.
            Scandal is a fictitious show, it is not real life. Consequently A US president in real life not ever having divorced is irrelevant to the Scandal universe.
            In real life one cannot ever see how the relationship fractured and so one is left to make a judgement call. In Scandal we know full well how the relationship developed. I would much prefer that the president in Scandal be honest and kick the other woman to the curb and live with the love of his life. I would have more respect for him. Rather than being miserable and becoming an alcoholic he would be happy and manage the country more appropriately. AS any psychologists or experts who study human behavior will tell you – a happy worker is a productive worker.

The attempted impeachment of Clinton was due to lying to congress.

This is about all i care to recreate of my earlier post which has not showed up.

• herman1959 says:

RReg, your posts are showing up – just click the refresh button if you can’t see them.

24. RReg says:

@Herman1959

Thanks Herman1959. Some are showing up, but some aren’t.

25. Crystal says:

I think that Olivia is going to tell Jake that she needs to go back to D.C because of her father and because of Harrison…but I think that she will use that as a cover-up because she really just wants to go back because of Fitz. She loves Jake, but she is not “IN LOVE” with Jakes. She is “IN LOVE” with Fitz and that is never going to change. Loving someone and being in love with someone are two totally different things. Olivia wants to be there for the man she is in love with. I don’t like when Jake is with Olivia, I refuse to back them up as a couple. Jake is to simple and easy going and mellow…Olivia can do better than that. She is a successful, smart, beautiful, talented, elegant, and lovely woman. She is strong enough to be with Fitz. Love is not simple…and if it is than that is not love. What Olivia and Fitz have is not easy. It’s hard, it’s devastating and lovely all at the same time. What Olivia and Fitz have is extraordinary!! Fitz and Olivia fight with everything they have just so that they can be with each other, they would give up anything to be together…that is true love. True love is putting the needs of others before your own…Fitz and Olivia demonstrate this. They deserve to be happy together, and they deserve to have their “ONE MINUTE” everyday with each other for the rest of their lives.

• Iris says:

I hear you, but the fighting is too much with Fitz and Olivia. Fitz just learnt about Mellie’s secret and also lost his son. This is time for him to fix things with Mellie and with his children. He didn’t know that his kids hated tennis in that season. This is time for him to move on!! Jake may not be striking (even to me) but he represents Olivia’s opportunity to freedom away from Fitz and all that drama in some way! Jake also shows true love, he guarded the door when Fitz and Olivia where doing their thing, he is always coming back, there is something between those two. It should bloom. I am tired of Fitz and Olivia break up to make up missions! they need to move on

26. Jene says:

Don’t have time to read all the comments, but agree with most of what I read, however, if O was pregnant with Fitz’s child what direction would the story take? What would happen with Fitz and Mellie, even though she should get with Andrew? Let Jake find someone else.

27. skatingfan 1 says:

I hope Liv sticks with Jake …more chemistry and more interesing than Liv adn Fitz…hope Liv adn Jake get pregnant oon and enjoy a better life…her parents are a mess…lets meet Jakes family ….

28. Iris says:

Yes, Olivia and Jake should go on,”keep standing in the sun”. The affair with with Fitz gets boring sometimes. They can’t keep fighting like cats .Fitz should give his first lady a chance, that would besomething different.

29. bmarie3668 says:

OLIVIA & FITZ = OLITZ !!!! OPA case stories I love. LOVE helps couples be as one! Shonda Rhimes has been given the opportunity & has the ability to have endless seasons writing what she desires. LET’S LET HER!!!! SCANDAL FANS !!!!

30. marva says:

love the show, waiting patiently