Pretty Little Liars Pilot Revisited: Ezra's Big Clue and 19 Other Crucial Moments

Pretty Little Liars

The 100th episode of Pretty Little Liars is almost upon us, but before Tuesday’s milestone hour arrives (ABC Family, 8/7c), TVLine is going back — like, way back — to reflect on how it all began.

RELATED Pretty Little Liars First Look: Will Paige and Emily Reunite in Episode 100?

Before Aria knew about Ezra’s secret book, before Emily confessed her love for the ladies, before Caleb ever stepped foot into Rosewood, Pretty Little Liars was a simple pilot about four girls receiving suspicious texts from their (presumed) dead friend. And that’s how far we’re going back.

We’re also having some fun with a few of the things that have changed between Episodes 1 and 100, from the girls’ thoughts on “A” (Emily almost went to the authorities immediately) to the actors playing fan-favorite characters (Keegan Allen wasn’t always Toby).

RELATED Pretty Little Liars‘ Tyler Blackburn Talks Caleb’s ‘Dark’ Return in 100th Episode

In the first installment of TVLine’s Pilots Revisited series, nothing is off-limits; not even a lovingly cheap shot at Ezra’s hair.

Click on the gallery button above (or click here) to check out our gallery of 20 noteworthy moments from the pilot, then drop a comment with your own below. What do you miss about the old days of PLL — and what are you glad you’ll never have to see again?

1. How bout we stop rooting for the epic statutory rapiness of Ezra.

2. William says:

*sigh* I really miss Maya. Her relationship with Emily was one of the highlights of S1 Pt. 1 for me. No matter how hard the writers try with Paige/Emily or even Emily/Alison (which still doesn’t make any sense), either pairing will never come close to what Emily and Maya had back in S1. The latter still stands as Emily’s best love interest. It’s just a shame that the writers sabotaged their relationship in S2 because they never had a chance to grow as a couple.

3. Leo says:

Agreed. Ezra watched the girls got tortured for who knows how long and all is forgiven when he got shot???
    I was an ezria shipper and now their scenes creep me out.
    and now ezra is all puppy dog eyed instead I-hide-my-chickpeas eyed and its disgusting.

4. ashley says:

Wow, didn’t realize they had so many recasts…Mrs. D, Ian, Toby, and don’t forget Jason! Oh, and not sure why they glorify a student/teacher relationship. That’s all sorts of wrong. Two words: JAIL TIME

• BrittBrat says:

I forgot about all the recast. I did remember Jason being a different person, but I didn’t notice the rest!

5. A says:

It was a really good pilot. It totally sucked me into the mystery. I also loved how cinematic and stylized it was

6. xx says:

“There’s nothing wrong with rooting for their epic romance”
    The way you, presumably an adult who should know better, write about Ezra is absolutely despicable. This is a grown man who, after accidentally dating a 14-year-old (perfectly gross in its own right), deliberately enters a relationship with a 16-year-old so he can spy enough to write a book.
    I don’t understand how anybody can be so warped as to think there’s “nothing wrong” rooting for this. I sincerely hope you have no contact with underage girls.

• Andy Swift says:

Chill, bro. I spent years recapping PLL and knocking the statutory romance. Rosewood is not real life.

• Kai says:

But the core viewers of this ABCFamily show sure are real life teenage girls who may or may not know better (see: twitter). And they do read recaps. So..

7. Nate says:

Hopefully this is better than the TVD 100 episode. Otherwise this show sucks ass

8. Et. Al says:

One thing hasn’t changed since the first episode – the writers still have absolutely no clue where this is going.

9. James says:

I hate the new gallery format. Nuff said. :(

10. Rebecca says:

Question? They seem to be so many people that despise Ezra and Aria and think it goes against everything good in the world. So why support the show? I don’t understand?

I personally understand it’s a show and that If it bothered me so bad I wouldn’t watch it. But I like them and hope they get back together.