Mistresses Recap: It's All the Same, Only Her Name Has Changed

YUNJIN KIM, BRIAN HALLISAY

Nobody came right out and said it, but this week’s installment of Mistresses implied that our favorite hot mess Karen Kim is presently operating at such a supercharged sexual frequency that her decision to engage in some sizzling hotel-room foreplay caused an earthquake across the greater Los Angeles area.

RELATED Mistresses Preview: EPs Talk Reckless Savi, ‘Confusing’ Connection for Joss-Harry and the Return of [Spoiler]

To paraphrase Mick Jagger, she makes a grown man cry (out like a frightened toddler), then hide for cover beneath the bathroom door frame. The only problem with sex that good? Sometimes all the writhing and whatnot dislodges your assumed identity from your brain, putting a new spin on shouting “What’s my name?” during intercourse.

But Karen’s not the only one bringing tears to men’s eyes. This week found Savi causing her attentive lover Dom to stop, gawk and ¡whoa! at her possible betrayal; Joss making Harry get misty with a scrapbook of watercolored memories; and April shutting down a skeevy dad at her daughter’s school — without even stopping to lick the chocolate frosting off his index finger.

So, let’s recap the action from the hour, while raising key questions about each of our titular Mistresses.

KAREN | The Character Formerly Known as an Award-Winning Psychiatrist kicks off the episode with her favorite pastime — meeting a sexy stranger at a bar and then checking out the “amenities” in his room upstairs. “Who are you?” he asks, as she throws him down on the bed and gets a closer look at his duvet cover (definitely a euphemism). A few nights later, that same handsome gentleman rescues her from some lout with a horrible pickup routine by pretending to be her tardy hubby. He wants dinner. She wants “dinner” (if I’m not being too subtle). And so they wind up back in his room where something big registers on the Richter Scale (not a euphemism) and Ben winds up embarrassed by his show of fear. “What are the chances we can pretend I didn’t just squeal like a little girl?” he asks, with a mix of self-deprecation and suaveness that makes Karen go “hmmmm.”

RELATED OITNB Star Joins ABC’s Forever as Series Regular

When she wakes the next morning, he’s still there, and they’re both in a confessional mood. The last time he woke up with someone, he’d paid for the pleasure of her company, Ben admits. Karen, meanwhile, reveals she was involved with a married man who’d died — and that she can’t shake the feeling that his death was a punishment. “Let’s hope that’s not how the universe works. You can’t help who you love,” Ben says, with just a hint of sadness. And then, after giving Karen his number and saying he’d like to take her on a real date, he’s all, “Bye, Rebecca.” (ACK!) But that’s not even the needle-across-the-record moment. Later, recounting the encounter to April, Karen confesses that, “He thinks my name is Rebecca — or Valerie. [Gasp] I can’t remember!” (Coming up on the next Dr. Phil: Women with too many sexual aliases!) Karen returns to the scene of the hunt, hoping her two-night-stand might have some longevity, but instead, she bumps into (dun dun DUN!) Jacob!

Key Questions: Does Ben possibly maybe think Karen is a working girl who waived her fee because of some kind of Pretty Woman fantasy? Can they possibly build a relationship when Karen doesn’t even know what name she gave him? And if Jacob has also been having hot hotel sex all these months, why didn’t we get to see it with our own eyes? (Asking for a friend, of course.)

JOSS | She might not even be aware of it herself, but Joss seems to be juggling two fellas, no? First, there’s sweet Scott, who’s giving her slingback charm necklaces, helping her polish her silver (not a euphemism), and generally being a good listener about Joss’s work and family woes. “Are we still fighting or can I tell you how cute you two are?” Savi asks, when she stumbles across the new couple. Completing the triangle, though, is Joss’ about-to-be-ex-brother-in-law and current business partner Harry — who’s decided he wants to move back to Australia. Wait! What?! “I just bought a gravy bowl! What the hell, man?” Joss snaps, but then, in perhaps my favorite moment from the episode, she checks herself and puts her friend’s needs first, listens to his plan to take over the beachside seafood shack he loved throughout his childhood. “Do I have to pretend to be happy for you? Well, I am anyway, you jerk,” Joss asks, but there’s a wistfulness in both her and Harry’s eyes that’s more than about saying goodbye to their party-planning business.

Later, when Harry’s sister reveals he’s got “nothing to show for but a bunch of failed dreams,” Joss springs into action, showing him Savi’s secret scrapbooks outlining his successes as a chef. (Joss wearing sequins, and Harry wearing pajamas and bedhead, in this scene makes it particularly emotional for some strange reason.) Joss says she just wants to make sure Harry remembers that guy from Savannah’s Kitchen. Harry responds by telling Joss she’s his “best mate in L.A.” — but he’s going to leave town anyway.

Key questions: I know I ask this every week, but let’s have a snap poll: Do we want Joss and Harry to “go to there”? Or is Scott’s general adorableness the path that our tall drink of blonde should be traveling?

APRIL | April has a low-key week — which means she doesn’t get to lay eyes or hands on Daniel’s “painting supplies.” (Not sure how that’s supposed to be a euphemism, but it is.) Instead, she spends her spare time making Lucy realize why she can’t accept Gucci purses from her BFF’s mom; accepting a dinner invite from the rich bitch in question; and then fending off a second round of sexual advances from the woman’s hella nasty husband. Samantha (Peyton’s mom) proves an unworthy candidate for the Maison Par la Mer coffee group after April’s icked-out reaction to her open marriage results in a flurry of indignation and insults. But later, the woman swings by with an apology bouquet — and a “helpful” bit of intel about having spied a “gorgeous redhead” at Daniel’s art gallery when she went to shop for a little somethin’-somethin’.

Key questions: Are we OK if we never see Samantha, Peyton or Stephen again? Who literally LOL’d when Lucy huffed that April wanted her to return the purse because she “had issues”? (Kids today!) And let’s hear your theories about that dang redhead! WHO IS SHE?

SAVI | Finally, Savi continues her spiral — but it kinda, sorta makes sense considering this is also the week she signs her divorce papers with Harry. But first — pizza and beer, not with Dom (AKA the guy she chose over her ex-hubby) but Zack (her car crash BFF). “What would make you happy?” he asks her. “I am happy.” Savi replies. But then she concedes she’d like a baby — immediatement. Zack, he’ll settle for a motorcycle. (Can we all just admit babies and motorcycles are not the new chocolate and peanut butter?) Savi shares her desire for a child with Dom — and he responds with a truly romantic vision for their future: They should move into a new place (not either of their existing homes), then get married, go on an extravagant trip, and after all that, make a babeh. (I like how this man thinks!) What’s more, he planned that scenario in his head during their first case together. (Considering Savi was happily married, the timing is a little squicky, eh?)

Speaking of said marriage — it finally comes to an end in an emotional scene in a conference room. “I don’t regret everything. I did love you. We had some good times, right?” Harry asks, before adding, “Thank you for believing in me when no one else did.” The former couple hold hands for a moment — and then Harry walks away. But just when Savi finally agrees with Joss that she needs to come clean to Dom about her friendship with Zack, she gets caught in the act — hugging “danger boy” on the sidewalk — just as Dom is exiting a jewelry store with diamond earrings for the future mother of his kids.

Key questions: How messy is this about to get? Is it possible that Zack is actively attempting to ruin Savi’s life — perhaps because he blames their accident for ruining his? Did Savi and Dom’s frank conversations restore some of the heat to their relationship? And post-divorce, is anyone still holding out hope for Savi-Harry?

Quote of the Week
“What am I supposed to do? Let him go back to Australia because the thing that brought him here slept with a coworker, got pregnant with his baby, nearly died in and then, what, chose the other guy?” —Joss, sharing with Scott her concerns about Harry — and, in the process, providing him with a little background on her brother-in-law and sister

Your turn. What did you think of this week’s episode? Are you #TeamScott or #TeamHarry in Joss’ love life? Would you be OK if Harry actually went to the land down under? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kevin Blankenhooper says:

I am still hoping that Savi and Harry get back together. I mean did you see their emotions in the office building? It seems like they both still love each other but are just afraid that there feelings will not be reciprocated and that is why they decided to divorce. Harry definitely felt something between him and savi in the courtroom and when Joss showed him the scrapbook. As for Joss and Harry, they are just really good friends that each other have known for fifteen years and there is nothing going on there.

• Dane says:

Same. Really dislike Dom (no offense to the gorgeous Jason George) – but Harry’s the man. And I while I see great BUDDY chem between Harry and Joss.. I do NOT like the romantic chem.

But let’s face it.. we all know where the writers are going. It’s a nighttime soap and it’s predictable.

2. panda says:

Hey Michael! Love that the recaps are always fun and fast :-)
    Unto the poll, nope we DEFINITELY don’t want Harry and Joss to go there. They are better as just friends. I like Dom, but I still want Savi and Harry back together

3. Anthony says:

Seriously How Delicious and Messed Up and Soapy and Hilarious Is This Show?! Karen is the best hot mess in Primetime! Momma is scrrrrrrrrrrewed up!

4. andy says:

I turn off my TV right after the conference room scene. (Thank for the recap for what happened after)The show had always been messy and I almost give up on it. Season 1 finale draw me back to the show after that scene of Harry said he chose Savi. This episode just did it for me. I am done watching the show. However, I will continue reading the recaps. It is better than watching the show.

5. Magali says:

I’m not sure if I want Joss and Harry to go there, but i’m pretty sure that is exactly where the show is taking them. There is just a hint of sexual tension in every scene they have and in the end it is a soap right?

6. Kalee says:

Geez, TV Line. Simmer your Harry-Joss shipping.

They have good chemistry… as friends who happen to be the opposite sex. That’s rare in TV these days. Plus, a good ol’ pitch-slapping and Dateline NBC story is to be had if a sibling went out with an ex-spouse. That’s just Jerry Springer levels of low.

7. Ian says:

Joss being the lovingly bossy little sister tonight with Harry brought a tear to my eye, so I’d never forgive this show if they ever crossed that line between them. When she said, “This isn’t about me, STUPID!”, I cry-laughed. Savi, Harry, and Joss are a FAMILY, the chemistries are epic and perfect, and the feelings are SO still there and as deep as ever between Savi and Harry, so I can’t help but hope they get back together.
    So whenever I hear her say she loves Dom, I just roll my damn eyes. It even just sounds so forced and false, the show really needs to just now quit while it’s ahead. If her and Dom ever had any real fizzle, it’s definitely gone now. Hopefully his jumping to conclusions tonight about Savi and Zack is the beginning of the end. I can see him immediately going and sleeping with Toni now out of anger without giving Savi and chance to clear up his assumption. Her whole speech to him about how they can’t simply trust each other in their relationship because of how they started, was basically a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    And I actually hope Joss finds Alex again, because I think that’s the relationship for Joss most people still root for and rooted the hardest for of all the love interests she’s had so far. They seemed really right together. When she mentioned Alex at dinner a couple episodes ago and admitted she loved her, I let out the shippiest scream, lol. Shannyn Sossamon’s gotta be putting in an appearance at some point this season.
    And Karen needs to stay the hottest of the hot messes, just the way we like her. Although I’m more than willing to see what they have in store for her and Jacob.
    And April’s storyline is perfect as is, continuing to try to find love while learning and growing with her daughter.
    I’m praying there’s going to be a Mistresses trip to Australia coming up in the season, when Savi and the girls all go to win Harry back when Savi realizes he’s the one she really wants. I can only imagine the hijinks and twists to come along with it though. This is Mistresses, after all.

8. LaLa says:

I’ve always been #TeamDom. Especially since he was considering actually giving Savi what she wanted and trying again on the baby. At least that’s my takeaway – did I misinterpret? Let me just say that I wish I would have talked back to my mom the way Lucy did to April. And I about died laughing at April’s reaction when Samantha said she was OK with her husband being interested in April. Can we please, please keep Scott? That slingback pendant was soooo cute! But I, too, can read the tea leaves. And poor, poor deluded Rebecca – I mean, Valerie – err, Karen!! Too bad, cause I liked this guy.

9. Leo says:

Please tell me this is not the last time we see Harry? I know it’s a month but time flies. Brett Tucker is the best male lead in this show and his scenes with Joss are fantastic.
    Please TVline easy with the HarryJoss shipping. Now I can’t watch without going, “Crap, Michael will think this scene as a HarryJoss baiting.”
    Is it just me or I thought Peyton’s mom invite April for a threesome? Lol. Throw in Daniel and we can have probably the first foursome on TV?
    Karen karen karen, her gasping whe n forgetting her alias is juat cute and yunjin Kim, what an amazing body. So glad girl got some.
    Finally, I still believe Harry and savi are endgame. Their courtroom scene is just sizzling with chemistry. writers are dumb if they can’t see that.

10. Nathan Lewis says:

I’m still rooting for Savi and Harry. Dom just really bothers me. And Joss should stay with Scott. He’s something new and adds more to the show.

• Kevin Blankenhooper says:

I know. Something about Dom just makes him seem selfish and a hog. I mean who pushes a woman that far when she is MARRIED to someone. Savi and Harry all the way

• SK says:

Me, too! I don’t want Joss and Harry together. They’re good as best friends. I enjoy her with Scott. Hate Dom.

11. ChrisGa says:

Yes to a Savi-Harry reunion; never got the appeal of Dom and why she’d choose him over Harry. They need to keep Scott around for Joss(THIS is the Justin Hartley I LOVE i.e. of Arrow and Emily Owens M.D., not the one that was a total bust on Revenge). And poor, poor Karen a.k.a. the worst psychiatrist in the history of television psychiatrists–calling her the biggest hot mess in primetime is an insult to big hot messes the world over. And yet, she’s one of my FAVORITE characters in primetime television. Go figure.

12. Ashly says:

I want Joss and Harry to go there, but I want a little more build up. I prefer slow and steady to hot and fizzle.

13. Kevin Blankenhooper says:

*******Attention everybody***** Please listen to the song “After All” by Michael Buble featuring Bryan Adams. This song is so perfect for Harry and Savi. It describes what could happen to them in the future and what Harry would say or sing to Savi. Or the other way around. If abc makes them get back together, than abc should definitely, DEFINITELY play this song in the backround. It described their situation so well and would be a perfect end to their story. Thank you!

14. Das Snow says:

Savi is a loose woman. She wrecked her marriage and now is going to wrecked her relationship with Dom. Seriously are we supposed to root for her, she is totally the bad woman here. Men stay clear of her. She will throw all of her issues in your face and blame it on you

15. Beda says:

Don’t like the idea of Harry and Joss. That’s just too creepy. If that happens I will tune out.

16. Joe says:

Such a fun summer show!

17. CL says:

Here’s a theory only plausible because it’s Mistresses we’re talking about. The mysterious redhead is Daniel’s police partner. They are running a sting operation to bust an escort ring in the city. He will eventually end up arresting Karen, who is pregnant (darned if she knows who the father is) and on the verge of a real relationship with Jacob, whom she must bed immediately if she wants him to believe that it could possibly be his. Just a thought…

18. SK says:

So how come Karen is not wearing wigs anymore? Why is she going to the same hotel bar without disguises anymore?

19. Emma says:

Joss and Harry definitely need to “go there.”

20. ladybug says:

Does somebody know the Name of the actor who places the role of Ben?

21. Jeanette says:

Savi & Harry all the way! Joss and Scott should stay together. They’re so adorable. If this gets out if hand anymore, I’m tuning out. I hate soaps and this is bring dragged out and getting too sleazy!