True Blood Recap: A Shot in the Dark

True Blood Alcide Dies

Spoiler alert: This recap contains a major reveal from Sunday’s True Blood, so turn back if you haven’t seen it yet. You’ve been warned…

“Death is a dark and blinding motherf—er, whether you see it coming or not.” Those not-safe-for-the-pulpit words from Reverend Daniels perfectly sum up Sunday’s heartbreaking, game-changing True Blood, which took the life of yet another beloved resident of Bon Temps. (And I’m not talking about Maxine Fortenberry. No one’s laying a flower on that nut job’s grave.)

RELATED Joe Manganiello Speaks: Why Alcide’s Shocking Death ‘Had to Happen’

Desperate to save her friends — and Sam’s pregnant girlfriend — from the basement of Fangtasia, Sookie hatched one of her classic half-baked plans to lure the Hep-V vampires into the open. Bill followed along, mostly to take part in the maiming, but also to spend time with his ex, who’s apparently been having massive doubts about her love for Alcide. “Maybe you’ll grow to love him more,” Bill said, a sentence not even he believed.

Now here’s the craziest part: Sookie’s plan actually kind of worked! Then, without (enough) warning, a bullet pelted Alcide in the forehead, sending his giant naked body tumbling to the ground. Given the opportunity to bring him back as a vampire, Sookie declined, sealing Alcide’s fate forever.

AS HE LAY DYING | Is semi-irrelevant nostalgia a side effect of Hep-V? It must be, because Eric spent the entire hour reflecting on Sylvie, a delightful French gal he used to bang back in the late ’80s. It was right around the introduction of Tru Blood, and Eric’s refusal to go along with the Authority’s plan cost him the life of his sweet, sweet Sylvie. (He was actually forced to choose between saving Sylvie or Pam, and I’ll give you one guess which choice he made).

SHE’S BA-ACK! | The episode also featured the long-awaited — not that it’s been very long — return of everyone’s favorite stiletto-stabbing blonde, Sarah Newlin. She appears to have left her mad days behind her in favor of a deep-breathing, self-reflective lifestyle, but come on, do you really buy that? Either way, yoga won’t save her once Pam and Eric come calling, just as it didn’t save her guru lover. (R.I.P., guru lover!)

ISN’T IT BROMANTIC? | And can we talk about James and Lafayette? Clearly inspired by last week’s Jason-Eric rendezvous, their symbiotic relationship took a major step in a less-than-platonic direction. “Is you groovin’ on me?” Lafayette asked, to which James awkwardly replied, “I’m with Jessica.” (For the record, “I’m with Jessica” is not the same thing as “no.”)

Truebies, how are you holding up after this week’s episode? Bummed about Alcide? Curious about James and Lafayette? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the episode below.

1. Wtactualf says:

I spent most of that episode eye rolling.

2. Les says:

I’m done with this stupid show.

3. KevinK says:

Do they realize this is the last season? Soooo boring!

4. ggny says:

This show stopped being good last season.

• Lucy says:

This show stopped being good before that. If Sookie ends up with Bill I will be disappointed.

• DarkDefender says:

Get ready for disappointment then.. The showrunner already said the final season was to come full circle with the epic love story. Sookie will end up with Bill. Bet it happens soon too.. With Alcide’s wolfie abs out of the way ..and Since he apparently also has a “clean slate” (and Sookie’s already had his blood).

5. Anna H says:

Well they’re definitely going away from the books but I have no idea what the endgame is. Seems almost like they’re just going to kill off everyone except the originals.

6. laurie caeasso says:

Beyond bummed.Grief stricken. Way to ruin a nice 4th of July weekend, Trueblood!

7. Lizzy says:

This show has continued to falter and Sookie is now my least favorite series heroine. She now makes Bella from Twilight less annoying.

8. J says:

Bill would never say “ain’t,” nor would he have used the wrong form of the verb “to be.”

9. Orion says:

This show jumped the shark some seasons ago. Why do I even keep watching? Well, it’s the last season, but they are coming with some forced stories and unbelievable choices. Why include Silvie? They keep pushing to a fling between Lafayette and Jessica supposed bf, Tara was
    Indeed killed offscreen and now Alcide is gone out of the blue…. kept rolling my eyes too.

• water bug says:

Tara was in the opening scene of the entire series…and she gets an off-screen axe? Don’t get me started…

10. Courtney says:

So disappointed in this season so far! RIP Alcide

11. para says:

this show becomes so nonsensical.

• In a show with vampires, werewolfs, shifters and faeries you expect sense? Did you not notice its a fantasy?

• Fluff says:

Yeah fantasy and scifi still have to make sense, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Just because you have vampires in a tv show doesn’t give you the excuse to have people acting completely out of characters or to have an alien ship drop out of the sky and crash on half the cast, killing them instantly in between episodes lol
        A good writer has to stay true to the characters, the story and the universe he/she creates.

12. ronnie says:

Upset about Alcide, but glad Hoyt’s annoying mother was finally gone. She has been a useless thorn in the side of all the main characters since her first episode.

13. knd says:

After reading this recap and the comments I’m so glad I stop watching after this season’s first crappy episode.

14. ChrisGa says:

Season 3 was really the last truly good season of this show. It’s been wildly hit-or-miss since then, mostly miss(witches, the Authority, FAIRIES). It’s too bad about Alcide but, as was mentioned, he hasn’t really been relevant for a few seasons now(although Joe M looks HOTTER than ever IMO).

15. Susie says:

The producers of this show have their favorite characters and the others have always just been filler. RIP Alcide.

16. Jill says:

With Tara’s death, Lettie Mae’s story line should have died with her. And there must be a showdown between Eric and the Japanese corp who killed Sylvie. Only logical reason for them to bring her up, but then again nothing has been logical these past few seasons. I’ll miss looking at Alcide, but it was time for him to go in order for Sookie to actually go out and fight.

• Jill says:

And I have to also say that 1/2 way through this episode, I thought “This is terrible, but it’s only 7 more episodes

17. Mo says:

Didn’t Sookie surely get infected with Hep. V through that gash she put in her arm?

18. Katie says:

This episode was better than the previous 2 this season (still not fantastic but better). I was happy to see more Pam and Eric, and I’m glad Sarah is back; she is always entertaining. I think they could have given more screen time to Alcide so he could have a proper send off.

19. DarkDefender says:

R.I.P. Alcide and your beautiful tanned abs. You will both be missed.

20. CH WRECED HER OWN STORYLINE IN THE LST 3 BOOKS AND THE PRODUCERS RUINED THE SERIESWITH ALL THE CRAZY ADD ON BORING AND CONFUSING SUBPLOTS. I STILL LOVE SOOKIE, BILL AND ERIC . WATCHING THIS LAST WITH DISGUST.

21. Yanez says:

I’m as underwhelmed with this season as I was when Eric went full frontal! But I’ve given this show too much of my time to quit now.

22. K says:

I’m glad Alcide is finally gone, I’ve never liked him or his over-inflated muscles. Terrible actor too.

23. Truefan says:

I don’t care that Alcide is gone. Although Sookie has dropped her obnoxious attitude to be more humble, she is still unlikeable. The writers ruined her character long ago. Lafayette and Miguel were cute together. Lafayette and James not so much.

24. Matthew b Lawler says:

I can’t believe they killed off Alcide without giving us a full frontal Joe is one of my favorite actors and he will be missed

25. Lala says:

Do you think Eric knew they would kill the opposite of his choice because i knew they would

26. Lala says:

Do you think eric knew they would kill the opposite of his choice cause i knew it was obvious

27. MikeD says:

The show went into the toilet about 2 seasons ago. Like most, I’ve grown to despise Sookie–the stupid biotch! But I’m committed to see it through to the end even though I’m not paying attention half the time!

28. pati says:

its a good thing this is the last season. It’s just so bad. there is no point hoping that it will get better. Are they even going to explain how Erica is alive. So Tara really is dead, since Pam confirmed it, what a pointless way to die and no she is going to hunt her mother, just let her be gone. and then someone who is not even part of the cast kills Alcide ugh, just terrible, and when Sookie asked if Bill had ever been to six flags I wanted to punch my tv. The only good thing is that Eric is still pretty hot.

29. kate says:

So… Alcide dies. Y’know, Ive stuck with this show since the very beginning. I stuck around during that whole ” Theres a Maenad in town who wants to enslave us all” business, during the GOD AWFUL Faerie night club debacle, the were-panther…thing that had too much time devoted to it, the Marines in Iraq who apparently pissed off some kind of demon thing that I mainly saw through glazed over eyes (which ended up being most of season 5) and I even put up with the less than satisfying end of Warlow. Because I kept seeing this show for the potential that it had. However, when you kill off two of my favorite characters, who seem to be the ONLY voices of reason in a whole damned town, I pull a Pontius Pilate and wash my hands of you. I realized that Bill and Sookie would eventually end up together, but really, HBO and the creators of True Blood? Was it REALLY necessary to kill off Tara and Alcide, two MAJOR supporting characters, in the first three episodes? You could’ve killed off Holly, or Andy, and I wouldn’t have cared. Instead, you take two of everyones favorites and without so much as a by-your-leave, drop the axe. If you kill off Lafayette, I’m giving up on the whole network as a whole.

30. Latoya Ford says:

Why did Alcide had to get shot but at least he is now a vampire but Sookie get her way either ways.

31. I could spend an entire episode just watching Lafayette do drugs and dance around his house.

32. Katrina says:

This has to be the worst recap I have ever read!!!!

33. Frances M DeLaRue says:

I should have expected it When it was revealed that Trueblood writers were going to get back to the core theme of the show. Something had to give in order to pave the way for the Sookie-Bill reunion. Poor Alcide.

34. Kerri says:

Well thanks ever so much to this thread for ruining the end of this episode! I only typed in Google, True Blood Sylvie, as I thought I’d forgotten an old character and the bloody heading for the link to this was Alcide Dies about 4 sites down. Learn how to avoid spoilers, stupid website.

35. RReg says:

Russell the vampire king was the best thing about True Blood. I stopped watching when they killed him off.

• water bug says:

I loved Russell…his season was very good…and also the rogue vampire who took Tara captive…loved him too.

36. christine baker says:

How could you kill off sexy as hell alcide. omg.that what was so. not cool.I’ve been waiting a year 2 c him n eric now they both both goth gotta die in 1way or another.this sucks.

37. Dawn says:

I’ve never before been so disappointed by any epesode of true blood – as I am these first 3 of season 7! Wtf! You cannot have a decent finale by killing off important members of the cast!

38. Nonetoomany says:

HBO and the writers for True Blood suck! This last season is going to be the worst season ever. I have spent the last 3 weeks yelling at my tv. Like WTF why? Why are they killing off everybody? Alcide didn’t have to die for Sookie and Bill to be together. Why did they make Eric sick? They killing off everyone I cared about in this show. Except Hoyt’s mom. that crazy woman had to go.

39. Fluff says:

lol “Spoiler alert: This recap contains a major reveal from Sunday’s True Blood, so turn back if you haven’t seen it yet. You’ve been warned…”
    BIIIIG title on top of my browser’s window: “Alcide dies”
    Good job with that spoiler warning, people. Thumbs up.