Once Upon a Time Casts Fringe Alum as Frozen's Ice Queen Elsa

Once Upon a Time Cast Frozen ElsaWe have seen Etta Bishop’s future, and it is very, very… cool.

TVLine has learned that ABC’s Once Upon a Time has cast Fringe alum Georgina Haig in the plum Season 4 role of Queen Elsa of Arendelle — aka the chillin’ quasi-villain of filmdom’s Frozen.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Creators Preview Season 4′s Frozen Twist

Previously, TVLine broke the news that newcomer Elizabeth Lail and Greek grad Scott Michael Foster have been cast in the arc’s other two roles, as Anna and her beau Kristoff.

In her Once incarnation, Elsa has long struggled to control her “chilling” powers, and once even — Frozen spoilers ahead! — unleashed upon her town an eternal winter. Ultimately, she realized that the key to keeping her powers in check is love — namely, her bond with younger sister Anna — and now she is aware of the threat she poses if she were to lose control of her magic again.

Previewing the show’s introduction of Elsa, which came about after negotiations with Disney brass and then was teased at the close of the Season 3 finale, Once cocreator Adam Horowitz told TVLine, “We are very well aware of how beloved [Frozen] is, so we’re very careful that we want to tell a story that is uniquely ours but also honors those characters that everyone fell in love with this past year.” Added Eddy Kitsis: “The thing we love about Elsa is she is perceived to be a villain but is clearly misunderstood, and that goes to the heart of our show.”

In addition to her run on Fringe, Haig’s TV credits include CBS’ Reckless (where she’s playing disgraced cop Lee Anne Marcus) and the Aussie drama Underbelly.

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. What_EVAA says:

that’s some MAGNIFICENT news!! I loved Georgina on Fringe and I don’t think they could have gone with a better choice!

• DoppyFog says:

Really?!?!!

Anna Faith looks more like her than Georgina. Look her up.

• loveless16 says:

Well maybe they actually wanted an actress.

• TopHat says:

Hmmm, this is an acting role. So isn’t it more important that the actor be able to portray the character as conceived by OUAT writers? Someone who can relay the emotional and mental turmoil to the audience. Let the actor bring her own spin on the character and not a replica of the film. THAT would be boring in my book. GIve it a great twist, OUAT-style!

So whether or not an actor “looks more like her (a cartoon character mind you) is less important. Quality acting is all I demand of my entertainers.

• AnnaAsElsa says:

THANK YOU. Out of respect for Elsa and Frozen, they should of casted someone that actually looked like her. Anna honestly couldnt have been that bad in acting, and in this instance, an actual lookalike would top Georgina Haig anyday.

2. hello says:

Absoutely fantastic news

3. Command says:

What kind of perfect casting is that?!?! Get John Noble is S4B!!

4. Dean says:

But isn’t she on another show right now called ‘Reckless’

5. Tessa says:

Looks and sounds good to me!

6. Melosm says:

Thank goodness she has blonde hair. I can’t stand when actors/actresses with dark hair are cast and hair dyed blonde. It just looks off.

• Lia says:

I know what you’re trying to say but…
      You serious? You cant see the regrowth on her head and the colour of her eyebrows? She clearly dyes her hair.

• Dwayne says:

Ok elsa’s eyebrows are brown too not blonde … She ain’t daenerys targaryen … O wait they goofed that up too … But yeh she ain’t a true targaryen

• Brooke says:

LOL! I hate to break it to you, but most adult blonde women (especially in Hollywood) have helped their color out with hairdye. Adults who retain their bright blonde color naturally are very rare, it’s a color that tends to darken up as you enter your teen years.

• name_required says:

I’m pretty sure they’ll use a wig anyway, you have to have a veeeery impressive mane of hair to recreate Elsa’s hairstyle without one.

7. Michelle says:

8. Lisa says:

‘She is perceived as a villain’ uh? No she is not.

Not a good start.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Yes she is, the town perceived her as a villain because she accidentally froze summer. Maybe try watching the movie again.

• Amy says:

perhaps I’m mistaken but I’m pretty sure Elsa is falsely perceived as a villain in Frozen…(especially thanks to Han’s false report of her killing Anna) that’s the point the town is scared….and Elsa is scared of herself and her powers, …thus the perception she’s a villain…Anna knows better though, as does the audience but that doesn’t change the ‘fear’ of her that the Duke of Weselton tires to stir-up or that Han’s stirs up…

Super excited about the casting…loved her in Fringe!!!

9. Jerry says:

Sharing this news with people who haven’t finished watching Fringe is, complicated

10. Vittoria says:

Love Georgina, she did a great job on Fringe and I am sure she’ll be up to the task

11. Joey Padron says:

Good casting news. I loved her on Fringe’s final season. She did good on first Reckless episode. It will be interesting to see her play a villain on show.

12. Ana says:

So exciting! I thought Georgina was wonderful in Fringe – though her part was more short lived than I had expected.
    She definitely looks perfect for the role. The ouat casting department never ceases to amaze.
    I’m a huge Frozen fan myself and am not at all worried about how Adam and Eddy will handle the story and their characters on ouat. They’re too big a pair of fan boys themselves to compromise that beautiful story. Can’t wait for S4 :)

• Leny1 says:

Agree. They will handle it well. Its just some ppl will want to point out negative things as usual. Part of the job it seems by ppl

13. melinae says:

Great cast! Happy for Georgina, She’s really good. She prouved it in Fringe, and will prouve it again on Once.

14. Lysh says:

I don’t see it, but I haven’t seen Fringe or anything she’s been in so I don’t know how she acts. Once usually has amazing casting, so I trust their decision.

15. Jennifer says:

I can definitely see this… OUAT has done very well over the years with spot on casting. Better than any other show I’ve ever seen.

16. Drew says:

Bigger fan of her than I am of OUaT. I know she will do well… I guess I need to stop hoping that Fringe actors get more Fringe level work. There really isn’t a lot of Fringe level work for them to get.

17. Lou says:

Go Aussie Go!

18. Gerald says:

Great casting. Real question is: What did she (Anna) do to Rumple that got her stuck in that box in his vault?

• joe says:

Knowing Elsa, who wants to bet she ASKED Rumple to be sealed in his vault, to protect others if her power goes crazy again?

• Mona says:

Eh, you never know … part of a mysterious deal, perhaps? Maybe Rumple wanted to study her powers or something, in exchange for providing a safe haven for Anna

19. Chris says:

I was a little iffy on it being Frozen, but I think it will work out well. But please, please don’t let her be related to anyone in the cast, I can’t take another “family twist”. There was no reason that both of the Season 3 villians had to have family ties with Rumple/Regina.

• Asha says:

I agree. It would be cool to have an unexpected villain on Once for a change. If she is a villain, that is. It seems like somebody already knows all of the villains that have been on OUAT–Regina, Cora, Pan, Zelena. I want them to have a villain who no one is familiar with and who nobody is sure how to defeat. (Although I wouldn’t be surprised if Emma and Henry know who she is because of their year outside of Storybrooke. However that’s not really on a personal level.)

• Mona says:

agreed … it kinda reminds me of what charming said once… thank god they don’t have thanksgiving in the Enchanted Forest … :)

20. Sherry says:

Haven’t heard of her, not someone I pictured playing Elsa, but I do love OUaT! They haven’t disappointed yet!

21. Lambsilencer says:

I have to say that that is some terrific casting. She definitely looks the part, and has the quality to play that emotional ambiguity they are looking for in their version of Queen Elsa.

22. MariaD says:

Great news! Wonderful actor. She did a fantastic job on Fringe and I look forward to seeing what she does with the role of Elsa on Once.

23. Rich Abey says:

Honestly don’t care much as to who plays Elsa as long as she has a strong resemblance to Elsa and has the acting chops to pull off a strong performance. After all Elsa is no doozy fairy-tale character like Ariel or Aurora or even Tinkerbell. Elsa is a very powerful Queen, often prone to mood swings, easy to anger & has strong magical powers…not unlike Regina!

24. Misakix says:

Isn’t it wonderful? Fringe’s my favorite Tv show and Etta was one of my favorite characters ^^ I am looking forward to the next season

25. Shuayb says:

Excellent casting… I like that they picked someone who is pretty without trying and loved her on Fringe. Tho she was in Fringe for a few eps, when she died it was heartbreaking she can really draw people in…

26. James D says:

Sweetness Georgina is a very good actress, OUAT has always been a guilty pleasure for me but now i might actually pay attention. On a side note, I miss Fringe so badly greatest TV show ever.

27. CK says:

I saw the title before the picture and thought that Once had gotten Anna Torv. I was literally jumping out of my seat.

• i know right! same thing happened to me!

• Pattydoo says:

Well guess what? The world doesn’t revolve around your precious Anna Torv. Jasika, Georgina, Nina were also on Fringe. Get that through your Anna Torv obsessed brain.

• CK says:

You need to take like 5 chill pills and wash them down with 2 bottles of wine. I thought that they were casting the blonde role with the signature blonde (brunette in the alternate universe) actress of the series, sue me. Maybe you need to take down a couple of posters of Georgina off your wall, because your hatred of Anna/love of Georgina is making you come off like a crazy person.

• Rich Abey says:

Still Anna Torv’s TV daughter being cast as Elsa is the next best thing..

• omg!! And I’ve comment here before for Anna to play Elsa, but never’ve thought about Georgina. Having her ‘daughter’ instead is really cool; it’s like we were oriented at the beginning (with the facial features), if the Fringe crew thought they look alike, so does the OUAT and us!! ;)

28. YES! although i wanted Dianna Agron to play Elsa, but still–I love Etta on Fringe! I was so sad when she died. so glad! can’t wait for september (:

29. They film in Canada, during the winter sometime. I sure hope the cold doesn’t bother her. Anyway…

30. Terry H says:

Is she still with Joshua Jackson? Now get him a part and it will be wonderful.

31. Lindsay says:

And her parents are… Hansel and Gretel? That’s disturbing.

32. ashley says:

What happened to kristen bell :(

33. sam braga says:

eu gostei da escolha!!!

34. Andrea Oliveira says:

I liked the choice!!!! beauty is not to say talent, once upon a time is not behind cosplay but talent ;)

35. Rian alves says:

amei a escolha … eu adoro essa atriz na série e sei que ela atuar super bem se Ouat a escolheu é porque ela sabe atuar

36. Layana Almeida says:

A escolha foi boa… a atriz sabe interpretar bem nas outras séries com certeza ela saberá interpretar elsa

37. Diana marques says:

ameiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! lindaaa

38. liana says:

amei essa atriz

39. Sandra Albuquerque says:

a atriz tem experiência, então a escolha foi excelente.. amei <3

40. John NYC says:

Not the best choice of photo for the actress. Didn’t see her in fringe, but in any case looking forward to OUAT and where they’ll be going next!

41. Michelle says:

She is pretty but they should of cast the girl from Florida who looks just like Elsa.

42. selina says:

the actre elizabeth looks nothing like elsa. she looks like a svary actress. is thst how you want kifs to see. kifs are the msin focal oint an you need a younger more friendly actress. im very disapointed with the choice you picked for elsa!

43. LostonFringe says:

Hip Hip Hooray!!!! Just when I think that OUAT had lost an interesting Storyline….we get this INCREDIBLE news!!! OH MY GOSH! I am a FRINGE FANATIC and would have loved to see Anna Torv in this role but second best is Georgina Haig. LOVE HER! She is so beautiful and will make a gorgeous Elsa. Thank you Writers for going with Georgina and bringing on Cast Members with substance (Emilie de Ravin/Belle and Rebecca Mader/Zelena both from LOST-yes-fanatical about that also). I am know counting down until September! Cannot wait to see how they will use Elsa…this is too perfect and the best news of the SUMMER! Whooohoooooo

44. McKenzie says:

What will Anna look like

45. EE says:

Best casting!!!

46. Pattydoo says:

Too bad every other actress on fringe can’t get a new gig without some Anna Torv obsessed freak whining about her not getting the job. GET OVER IT.

• CK says:

Anna Torv was the lead actress on the show. Whenever Fringe is mentioned in an article, she is going to get mentioned in the comments. You are the one that needs to get over it because you’re sounding very sandy about Anna.

• Pattydoo says:

Oh so because Anna Torv was the lead that means that NOBODY ELSE who was on that show deserves work? So everytime Fringe “alum” is mentioned, it should be only Anna Torv? I mean who cares about Josh, jasika, lance, Blair brown, seth gabel right? Only Anna freaking matters. Gotcha.

• Colleen says:

You know Anna Torv shot a Ryan Murphy pilot for HBO, right?

47. Jenny says:

Hell yeah!!! Love georgina!!

48. BrianR says:

She could be Emma’s cool new girlfriend BFF.

49. Chad says:

When I saw the ending to the season of Once upon a time the actress that popped into my head was Eliza Coupe (Jane in TV series Happy Endings).