Teen Wolf Recap: The Curious Case of Derek Hale

Teen Wolf Derek

Monday’s Teen Wolf revealed an important, albeit super-ironic, lesson: Despite the show’s title, none of the characters are in any way equipped to deal with an actual, real-life teenager.

RELATED Teen Wolf Season 4: Berserkers, Bodies and More in New Supertease Video

17 AGAIN | That teenager, in this case, was Derek, who had been magically Benjamin Button’d by life-ruiner Kate Argent. First, things got crazy, as quick-healing Derek attacked Deaton and Lydia. Then they became sad, as Lil D revisited his childhood home, unaware that most of his family members were turned into supernatural s’mores years ago. Lastly, things turned statutory, as Kate invited Baby Blue Eyes into the bone zone.

Teen Wolf Derek KateSeriously, I don’t even have words to explain how gross it was watching Kate get all up in young Derek’s business. It was like watching a teenager on The CW (like, mid-to-late 20’s) kissing a teenager on Degrassi (like, early-to-mid teens). And I don’t care if it was all part of Kate’s plot to get the triskelion from the vault below Beacon Hills High; there had to have been another way.

DADDY ISSUES | But Kate and Derek weren’t the only ones who shared an uncomfortable reunion this week. Malia finally came face-to-face with Papa Peter (aka “Satan in a V-neck”), and it was just as awkward as Shelley Hennig told TVLine it would be. During their brief encounter, he was being less “daddy” and more “daddy,” and I didn’t like that. Not one bit.

MONSTER MASH | Scott and the gang had their first encounter with the Berskerkers this week — I guess it was technically their second, but they didn’t know what they were facing in the desert — and it did not go well. The Shredder look-alikes made quick work of Scott, Kira and Malia, and were it not for Derek’s sudden growth spurt, the entire pack would have been donezo.

Peter’s battle with Kate also didn’t go according to plan, as their face-off was interrupted by a mysterious figure with exceptional taste in footwear — The Benefactor, perhaps? — and now Peter is out $117 million. Has anyone ever lost such a large amount of money in such a short amount of time? It was pretty much the sexiest Ponzi scheme ever.

Questions I still have after tonight’s episode:
* What is a Berserker?
* How did Derek turn back into a grown-up?
* When will Lydia’s powers become useful?
* And most importantly, will Stiles ever get to be the big spoon?

Teen Wolf fans, what are your lingering questions after tonight’s episode? And do you have any answers to mine? Drop a comment with your thoughts. Together, we can make sense of anything.

1. bj says:

One of the main issues I have with most so-called teen series today is that they’re usually all mid to late twenties. Stand a real 15 or 16 year old next to them and you’ll see why so many teenagers today have issues with body image. They’ve been brainwashed to think they all should look like people 10 years older than them. Some of those “teenagers on Glee, for instance, must have been half way to retirement age before they graduated high school! And most of the CW shows are the same.

• Andy Swift says:

Prepare yourself. Liam, who we’ll meet next week, is played by Dylan Sprayberry, who’s ACTUALLY 15. It’s unthinkable…

• Kait says:

Most of them have been unbelievable (past season 2, a few before) as high school age, I looked past that, and actually kind of dislike that they cast a person of Actual high school age.

• brycealexander says:

Wow!!! What an original idea!!! Great input!!! It’s not like this same practice has been going on since the original 90210 or anything!!!
      No but really, no one cares.

• Kate M. says:

The ages on Teen Wolf have always been a bit off. Tyler Hoechlin at 26 is younger that than most of the “kids.” Posey and O’Brien are 22, but Roden, Reed, Hennig, Cho, Sharman, Kahuanui are all older. There is a noticable age difference between adult Derek and Kate which has always made their prior involvement when he was only a teen very skeevy.

• Karen Brown says:

Well, the reason for that is that they probably can’t have real teens doing the actions (on basic cable) that their fake teens are. The reason the 70’s show specifically asked for over 18 year olds is portraying drug use and sexual activity. Same goes for Teen Wolf. You want someone where you don’t need their MOM on set watching the filming to make sure everything’s legit for an underaged actor.

• Isobel says:

Also things like child labour and providing tutors for school means they prefer to cast adults as teens

• MixMi says:

Don’t really see a problem with that. Teen Wolf cast looks more teen than the cast of The vampire diaries ( just an example ) did back when the characters were supposedly going to high school.
      Besides, looking at teens in Europe these days , they look way more mature than the Teen Wolf cast. I don’t know about American teenagers though since I am not from there.
      That said, some actors and actresses who are actual teens do look older…I mean, some 15 year olds had teen roles but as 16 – 17 year olds…So, they are out there but I guess if you are older but do look younger than your age you might have better chances…And they are adults…

2. Marcus T. says:

The episode was pretty much filler which is bad considering it’s only the second episode of the season. Pretty much nothing happened that was that important.

• Andy Swift says:

We got to see Kate in action, which was pretty cool, and we got our first taste of the Berserkers… but we also got all of that from the promos.

• Joe U. says:

I disagree, although the bulk of the importance of the episode came towards the end. The money being stolen from Peter, $117 million seems to have huge significance and probably the introduction of The Benefactor, or at least one of his cronies (maybe the one shown in the previews for the next episode). The introduction of the Berserkers. Derek’s eye’s changing to yellow and his overall transformation back to an adult (which Jeff Davis hinted at saying did not come without serious consequences).

Again, towards the end of the episode but important nonetheless from my perspective. Overall fun episode to watch, a lot of stuff you don’t expect to resurface does in future episodes, what’s fun about this show is we get to find out the effects of everything the very next week.

• Andy Swift says:

It was definitely fun.

• Joe U. says:

Definitely was, it really reminded of the Season 2 atmosphere (I absolutely loved Season 2), the sort of mysterious, dark, yet still fun, humorous and brainteasing adventure

And Ian Nelson as Young Derek I really enjoyed watching again, you know he’s portraying a young Derek Hale, but he’s able to make his own character out of it, if that makes any sense, separating his character from regular Derek Hale, exploring the witty and fun loving side of Derek that was shown in parts of Season 2, while still maintaining the brooding and deeply troubled persona he has as older Derek.

• Emmy says:

I don’t think “filler” is the right word. I might describe it as a set up for the rest of the season. Personally, I liked the episode a lot. I kinda wanted young Derek to last a little longer but with there only being twelve episodes I understand why they did that so soon. I am really intrigued by the whole eye thing.

• And just how do you know what is important? Been time traveling have you?

• MixMi says:

The benefactor made an appeariance, Kate was shown still being Kate, Petere met his daughter for the first time, something happened to Derek for his eyes are not blue anymore and we know that the strange things are called Beserkers.
      We can agree that something did happen in the episode.

3. Chrisjozo says:

Berserkers are from Norse mythology. Insane warriors who wore bear skins that gave them power.

4. brycealexander says:

Fifth question: Why does Peter have all that money to begin with???

• Joe U. says:

My guess is that it’s mostly insurance money from the fire. Although I’m no insurance expert, that still seems like an absurd amount of money. Wouldn’t surprise me if Peter was some Werewolf of Wall Street in his spare time

• Karen Brown says:

The Hales have been big in Beacon Hills for a LONG time (their vault predates the High School, for instance). And I’d bet the 9-5 is probably a no-go for the werewolfy types. Sure, there’s some humans, but… I’d bet simply having power, influence, and time for investing, etc. They were, probably, prior to the fire, power players who simply didn’t make that well known. Being what they were, having some easily disposed of liquid assets helps if you are being chased out of town by the pitchforks and torches set.

5. Jenna says:

Those shoes, anyone else think it may be Scott’s daddy dearest. I know insane idea but felt like someone like him if not him.

6. Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    I actually missed the season premiere last week because I was at camp. Tonight’s episode was awesome. Like Shelley Henning.

7. Dan says:

Far from my favorite episode but noone…noone…can turn around and glare at the camera like Hoechlin.

…and did anyone else notice that his eyes are back to Golden now instead of Blue? We know why they go from gold to blue..but I wonder if there are any consequences now that they’re gold again.

8. Sara says:

Yea…when Kate kissed young Derek…I was a bit creeped out. That actor looks about 16yrs old. I also wonder what made Derek ‘grow up’ so suddenly. Was it because he fought for Scott…that his memories returned and that’s all it took? Hope the explain that one next week.
    Side note – I’m not a fan of all the slow motion hero shots they are doing so far. It’s borderline cheesy. Stop it.

• MixMi says:

Oh , that slow motion…People complained about it in season 2 ( i think ) but, I doubt they will stop using it.
      As for Derek, I thought it was his anger which brought him back… Peter did talk about his anger before the fight ( or was it durring the fight – I don’t remember ). Maybe Derek focused on his anger to get his wolf side out so he could fight? Maybe that made him turn back…
      Or maybe the effects stop after a certain amount of hours…

• Hailey says:

Ik he does look 16 but I looked it up he’s 19

9. I don’t think either Peter oe Malia have any clue that they’re related. Yet…

• MixMi says:

Peter knows that he is her father. It was hinted in season 3B.
      Lydia first heard a baby when she slammed Talias claws against the wall and Peter wanted to know what she heard.
      Then, some episodes later, he helped Scott only to get a name. Scott mentioned Malia…
      I think Peter knows he is her father.
      Why would he make that father statement about her eyes if not? Doesn’t make sense.
      But yes, like Scott and Stiles mentioned in the episode, Malia does not know that Peter is her father – – yet.

10. Chris says:

WTF!! Why is Scott so damn weak?? He should be able to kick everyone butt… He’s the damn alpha… Your making the show suck… I was looking forward in watching him kick ass this season

11. Ella says:

I want to know what Malia did to Stiles’ back!

12. Luli says:

I think Deputy Parish is the Benefactor.

13. Ollie says:

Berserkers are from Norse mythology, they usually hunt down mythical monsters. (Werewolf, Banshee, She-wolf, shapeshifter ect.)

14. Ash says:

Wow luli I never even considered parish!!! It makes sense! I remember last season sheriff asking him why he came to beacon hills and he said because he felt drawn to it! :D exciting! I personally was thinking the benefactor is Gerard (Allison’s gdad-I think that was his name) both I’ll totally be cool with :D

15. Ash says:

On a personal note though I loved the episode! It was fantastic! Yes we didn’t get any real action or answers until half way through but gosh that first half was hilarious!!! Sheriff looking at derecks criminal photo and teen dereck then the whole “I want the truth. Is time travel real!? Because if so I’m done I’m out you’ll have to be driving ME to eicken house” and of course the stiles, teen dereck, and mr McCall’s entire scene! Berserkers are crazy cool!

16. Anthony says:

What is a berserker? Why did Derek’s eyes turn yellow? How did he turn a grown up again?

17. Mille says:

God! I loved this episode. The first half of it, were Stiles were all like: ”Couldn’t we just figure this out, then all of us would be happy. Except for Derek, he’s never happy.”
    Hilarious!

18. joseph says:

What is derek now, after he turnee back to his old self hie eyes changed?