True Blood's Ryan Kwanten on Jason and [Spoiler]'s Shocking Sex Scene

Eric Jason Sex Scene True Blood

“Pause” and “rewind” buttons nationwide were tested like never before on Sunday night, as True Blood‘s Jason Stackhouse got down and dirty with his most unexpected bedfellow yet.

RELATED True Blood Recap: The Vampire Diary

The episode’s not-so-cold open found Sookie’s brother dreaming of an encounter with viking vamp Eric Northman, a scene that — like most of Jason’s thus far — began in confusion and ended in sex. (Or, at least, the promise of sex.)

Below, Ryan Kwanten gives TVLine some behind-the-scenes details from the unforgettable scene — which you can click here to see in gallery form — including how the whole thing was (sort of) his and Alexander Skarsgard‘s idea.

TVLINE | Were you told about this scene ahead of time, or did you just see it on the page?
There was word on the street that a scene was coming, and to be honest, Alex and I had been — not necessarily begging to work together — but we’d been pondering the thought, “What if we were ever put in a scene where it was just the two of us? What would happen?” And this is what our illustrious writers came up with.

TVLINE | This being the final season, it kind of felt like a gift to longtime fans.
[Laughs] I wouldn’t call that a gift, but hey, you can interpret it any way you want, man.

TVLINE | How long did it take you to film?
Eh, a couple hours.

TVLINE | And what was the vibe during the shoot?
I always have a lot of fun, and I think that’s the important thing to remember. We’re just there to have fun and to stay true to the characters. Thinking back to this particular scene, I just remember Alex and I laughing a lot.

TVLINE | Have you gotten a chance to watch it yet? It turned out, I’d say, pretty elegant.
Not yet, and I certainly wouldn’t have thought it would turn out elegant, but I’m happy about that. I don’t think too many of Jason’s scenes can be called elegant. I’ll take it.

TVLINE | Can you clarify why this dream happened now?
[Laughs] Well, obviously, Jason has had these dreams before, with other vampires whose blood he’s had. I mean, Eric’s gotten himself into some trouble, and I think Jason sensed that.

TVLINE | He’s a good guy, that Jason.
Jason, to me, has always been the kind of character you can never have a bad day with. He’s always upbeat and rambunctious, even under life-threatening conditions.

TVLINE | Is that a quality you’ve inherited from him?
Not yet, but I’m trying. I want to be more like Jason.

Truebies, what did you think of Eric and Jason’s big scene? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Jake says:

This just seemed gratuitous and weird without context.

• Wtactualf says:

Totally agree. I don’t appreciate the baiting.

• Cj says:

I agree with only ten episodes this final season I was hoping the writers wouldn’t waste time on random sex scenes. They could have made the whole scene tie in the episode simply by having Jason say to Sookie “whatever happened to Eric?” I feel like the rest of town has forget tone him and it would have been a nice tie in back to Fangtasia

• Suz says:

Not be be that person, but “in the books*”, it is explained when everyone is attracted to Jason. Like his sister, he is a fay but his “powers” are not as strong and the males tend to be promiscuous.
      *Yes, I know the show doesn’t follow the books.

• Exactly. Stupid waste of time.

• sarahjay55 says:

Pretty certain the context was S06E09 when Eric healed Jason and told him “When you dream of me, dream of nice things…”

2. Ian says:

Meh. I’d say that scene was pretty tame, actually. Not that I even wanted to see Jason and Eric having sex, but there’s been countless penetrative straight sex scenes, and this got nowhere near as far as that.
    I was kind of just laughing at the absurdity of everything that was happening. Wouldn’t Jason dream about Eric in more of a personal context? What would Jason know about being in a Spanish manor? These writers, man.

3. alistaircrane says:

This was just a lame tease, just like the Sam/Bill dream in Season 4 (or was it 3?).

4. valeriel40 says:

I don’t even remember when Jason had Eric’s blood??

• It was during last season’s finale when Eric was rampaging through that compound where all the captured vampires were being held and he came across Jason in one of the rooms. Jason was in bad shape and Eric even said something like “When you dream of me, dream of nice things” as he gave Jason his blood. I’m sure there’s a video of it on youtube somewhere

5. sara says:

They build this up as a all out sex scene and it wasn’t. Just a huge lie.

6. pout says:

I want to know how Eric Northman survived bursting into flames on the top of a snow covered mountain.

7. Angeal says:

I was confused from the get-go of that whole scene, but being a woman who thinks both men are pretty damn sexy, I had to turn to my husband and say, “Is it wrong that I think this is pretty hot?” LOL Gratuitous or not, it was definitely an attention getter!

8. DarkDefender says:

Gratuitous was the point. (As is most of the sex on True Blood) I can’t believe anyone commenting here thought it would, could or should be any different.
    This one was for the fans.. Only thing hotter would have been a three way with them and Alcide.. Although I’m not sure my TV could handle that many tight abs in one scene.
    It was typical Jason.. Horse play fighting mixed with the sex. Where it happened doesn’t matter. Eric told him to enjoy it when it happened.. And considering his smile.. I think he did.

• furrina says:

That was exactly my thought. If they are dishing out random pointless sex scenes, at least have Alcide butt in at some point ;P :D

9. Jake says:

It was a pointless scene but it was hot. im just tired of this show calling these gay sex scenes, sex scenes when no sex ever happens.

10. Wtactualf says:

But why can’t the actual gay characters
    get sex scenes.

I think it’s clearly pandering.

• Ian says:

Of course it was pandering. And we’re supposed to be grateful they deemed to favor us with…that.

It takes more than making 2 attractive guys kiss though to be hot to me. Jason and Eric? I’m so done with this show.

11. Holy crap! First Warlow…now Eric. LOL

12. Kyle says:

It was by far my favorite scene of True Blood, heck of television EVER.

13. GoGo says:

It was unnecessary and ended predictably. Period.

14. Terry says:

My husband didn’t enjoy it too
    much. I had a feeling it was one of Jason’s dreams especially cause Jason was the”top” lol

15. Sherry says:

Loved the scene — Jason’s dream was hot! My dream would be to join them! :D

16. Mama Tiger says:

All I remember is screaming “NO” throughout the entire scene! I love me some Eric and though I knew it was a dream, I couldn’t bear the thought of Jason, the town does them all, bonking on that hunk of man. No, no, no! Anyone but Jason! Well, not Bill. Jason is just to sex what Jane is to alcohol. Yuck.

17. roxi says:

I’m sad to see this actor wasting his talent on this show. He does a pretty good accent and even nails the emotional scenes yet all he gets is random sex scenes. Disappointing.

• Tracytv says:

This isn’t Shakespeare it’s true blood. The Gay male sex on this show is a bit much. Didn’t an actor quit because he didn’t want to do a Gay sex scene with Lafayette?

18. Kathleen says:

Damn. Wish I watched this show! Those GIFs look hot!!

19. ionatrailer says:

Smokin’! Put two hotties like that together and what’s not to like? But so far, I’m a little disappointed by the rather weak plot. But hopefully Bill and Sookie will get back together again at some point, because there is no chemistry between her and Alcide. And isn’t that what we’ve waited for all these years? I know how the books end, but we all know we want Vampire Bill and Sookie the quarter fairy to find happiness.

20. Alex Colby says:

I have loved True Blood from the beginning, I was extremely disappointed that after the first season Jason’s sex life slowed right down, one of the major draw cards for me, think Jason is extremely hot, I’m gay and I love his straight sex scenes, there got, but this scene which was building towards sex was extremely good, I loved it, should of been longer I feel. True Blood is a show where anything goes, it’s what makes True Blood so brilliant, no limits. So what does these particular scene have to do with the actual episode? Who knows and who cares, it’s a fantastic scene and I wish I could see more of Jason shirtless or naked, he’s the hottest guy on this show and there’s a few hotties on this show, perhaps a gay scene between Jason and Alcide would be eagerly watched, I know I’d watch it eagerly. So don’t waste your time being upset with this scene, don’t pull it to pieces, just enjoy it, it’s funny and very sexy, loved how aggressive Jason was, very appealing, he knew what he wanted and went after it.

21. CountryQueen says:

I thought this was great. Funny and yummy. Jason shoving Eric, and then trying to tackle him from behind. Hilarious. Waking up from his dream IN CHURCH! Priceless!

22. lorna says:

A bit forced and laughable.

23. Dora says:

I found it a bit weird and confusing. At first I didn’t understand why this scene was there out of blue.

24. Mikael says:

I love how people found this scene to be too much, yet it’s ok when they’re constantly showing random sex between male/female characters that have absolutely no point to the plot either.