Ratings: Did Girl Meets World Make the Grade? Plus: Crossbones Sinks

Girl Meets World Ratings

Disney Channel’s Girl Meets World was met with a warm reception on Friday night, premiering to 5.2 million total viewers — up sharply from the cabler’s most recent series launch (I Didn’t Do It‘s 3.9 mil, in January) but falling shy of last July’s Liv & Maddie debut (5.8 mil).

GMW stands as the No. 1 series launch of 2014 among the youth demos of Kids 2-11 (drawing 2.3 million of ‘em), Kids 6-11 (1.8 mil) and Tweens 9-14 (1.7 mil).

TVLine readers gave the Boy Meets World sequel an average grade of “B.”

RELATED Girl Meets World: Will You Join Riley Matthews on Her Journey?

Opening Disney Channel’s night, the Zendaya-fronted original movie Zapped drew 5.7 million total viewers, up from January’s Cloud 9 telepic (5 mil) but well shy of last summer’s Teen Beach Movie (8.4 mil).

VIDEO Girl Meets World Cast Talks Surprise Returns, the New Mr. Feeny and More

Elsewhere on Friday: NBC’s Crossbones (2.3 mil/0.4) plunged 23 and 33 percent leading out of a Meredith Vieira special (3.8 mil/0.5) instead of Dateline. ABC’s 20/20 (6.2 mil/1.3) — featuring Barbara Walters’ sitdown with Peter Rodgers — rose 24 and 18 percent week-to-week and led the broadcast networks in the demo, while CBS’ Blue Bloods repeat (6.3 mil/0.7) copped the largest audience.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Crossbones is very boring to me, and I really wanted to like it.

• Sheila says:

Me too. I love Richard Coyle, but the show just isn’t good.

• maggie says:

I’ll bet Hugh Laurie is glad he passed on Crossbones. He was announced as the star and then pulled out at the last moment. John Malkovich replaced him. Hugh Laurie would have been more believable in the part, but if HL is going to return to TV it should be in a show worthy of his talent.

• Fido says:

I like what they’re doing with the show, except when they give us all that hallucination stuff. That comes across as just plain huh?!

2. Eric says:

The fact that the pilot has been available online for the past month, and has been free on iTunes for the past two weeks probably affected its ratings a bit. I’ve seen the pilot twice and didn’t bother watching it last night for that reason. Not to mention that it was on relatively late for a children’s series.

3. Moment says:

Crossbones is making Hannibal look mighty fine. I think for the most part the consistent failure of shows that aren’t Hannibal in this slot will enable smooth sailing for further Hannibal seasons, I’m sure Season 4 will be a sure thing. I have faith Season 3 will perform just as well.

4. MP says:

Girl Meets World was cute and I loved seeing Mr. Feeney. As for 20/20 about Elliot Rodger, this is the first episode I’ve watched in years. I can only take Barbara Walters in small doses on The View, but I love when she does interviews like this. She’s still at the top of her game and I enjoyed seeing her on TV again in the 20/20 format.

5. Kevin says:

John Malkovich is an amazing actor with great range, his talents seem wasted on Crossbones. Starz did it better (Blackbeard story) with Black Sails.

6. Jake says:

Crossbones is a good show in a terrible time slot. Friday is bad enough, let alone in the summer, with no good lead in.

7. Have you heard the new song about Topanga?

Gotta hear it, think you’ll like it :)

Youtube – Artist -The Jolly What!
    Song- Topanga

8. I have read so many articles or reviews on the topic of the blogger lovers however
    this article is genuinely a pleasant piece of writing, keep it up.

9. Miles says:

I think that the Girl Meets World series opening was just as horrible as the original! And they could have made it good! The plot had all the right reasons to make the show amazing and interesting, but the show is just cheesy! Right away we have Cory talking about life lessons and owning the world when his daughter was climbing out a window, and although the main character is rather young and beginning her career, I think they could have made her a little more realistic, well, less cheesy! Lets hope the show gets better as it increases in seasons and the charicters begin to age as it did in the original.

10. Jarla says:

I think that Girl Meets World was adorable! I think that it will be very popular with girls though and not so much with boys, but it is MUCH better than the original. Let’s hope the that the show matures along with the charicters like it did in the original.

• mario says:

I hope disney has the ability to keep the show maturing with Mya as well. This was the only thing that worried me about it being aired on the Disney channel. I would like to see some returning characters as well as life lessons for parents, because we all continue to learn.