Covert Affairs Bosses Talk a 'Different' Annie, Preview Her Romantic Future With Auggie — and the New Guy!

Covert Affairs Season 5 Spoilers

Annie Walker is finally coming in from the cold.

When Covert Affairs returns this Tuesday (USA Network, 10/9c), the CIA agent will find herself facing an uphill battle as she tries to get her old life back following a dark turn in which she killed Henry Wilcox.

RELATED Exclusive Covert Affairs Video: Meet the New Woman in Auggie’s Life!

At least she can pick up where she left off with ex Auggie — or can she? Although they’re once again handler and operative, Annie’s a different kind of spy now, and the toll of the job gets in the way of romance, executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord preview below.

Private contractor Ryan McQuaid (played by new series regular Nic Bishop), however, didn’t get the memo and quickly sets his sights on our protagonist, the showrunners note.

TVLINE | What is Annie facing as she returns to work?
MATT CORMAN | She’s facing some major challenges, both personal and professional. We’ll see, right off the bat, we’re changing the paradigm a little bit.

TVLINE | How different is she as a person and as an agent after the events of last season?
CHRIS ORD | Very different, and she has to be. [After] four years of doing this job, especially last season, seeing what she was doing in terms of going dark, in terms of chasing Henry to Hong Kong and taking him down… Those things have to inform your psyche and your headspace going forward, and we want to honor everything she’s been through as we bring her into this new season.

TVLINE | Would you say that what happened makes her a better agent? Or does it make things more difficult for her?
CORMAN | There’s an aspect of both. She certainly has a deeper understanding about the way that spycraft works, and her approach is more advanced. She’s become a very advanced spy, operating at the highest levels. But by the same token, it’s all taken a toll. Season 1, she never even carried a gun. Now, she’s moved to the point where when necessary, like with Henry, she’s willing to take somebody down in an alley.

TVLINE | At the end of last season, it seemed like the door might be open for Auggie and Annie to get back together. But from what we’ve seen in promo materials, they’re not. Why is that?
CORMAN | What’s standing in the way of any relationship when someone’s a spy, it’s the spy life. It is the toll that this job takes and the challenges that one faces doing this job. The central question on this show has always been – the polygrapher asked it in the pilot – “Can you separate work and personal life? Can you keep them both compartmentalized?” They always bleed into one another, and they always challenge and compromise one another. Again, that’s the main theme of this season, and we press that in a big way off the bat.

RELATED Max Martini Joins Covert Affairs

TVLINE | Where did you travel to this year?
CORMAN | So far, we’ve gone to Cartagena, Colombia, and to Paris and the south of France and Washington, D.C.

TVLINE | Can you talk about where the season picks up, in terms of Annie and Auggie?
CORMAN | There’s a bit of a reset. Annie and Auggie will always be in one another’s lives, but very early in the first episode, we’ll get some clarity as to where they’re going to be and where they’re headed.

TVLINE | How different is the dynamic between Auggie and Annie as co-workers now that they have a romantic history?
CORMAN | That’s a really good [question]. It’s richer for it, on one level. They understand one another in another way. But it’s also more challenging because they’re just water under the bridge. Just like any two people when they’ve had a romantic situation, it gets complicated quickly.

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | You’ve cast Nic Bishop as Annie’s love interest. How different he is from the men she’s been with before on the show?
CORMAN | We love Nic, and what’s great about him as a character is [he] has no agonizing compunctions about his life or the spy world. He loves being a private spy. He loves the fact that he’s not tagged down or fettered by any of the bureaucracy of the CIA. And he wants Annie to be liberated in that same way and just enjoy having it all. He says to Arthur in this first episode, “You can have it all.” That’s a question Annie is asking herself the whole season. “Can I have it all? Can I have a regular, normal personal life and be a spy? Or are those two ideas incompatible?”

1. M3rc Nate says:

Eh idk….i might be getting a bit tired of this show. It seems to be kinda the same thing rinse and repeat. Every season has her with some new love interest guy, every season some Auggie thing, every season etc etc etc. Nothing has really made me go “whoa thats creative/awesome!” or anything. I just dont know. I’m liking Graceland, Suits, and White Collar more.

• Samantha says:

It’s very much the same, each season. New guy. Thought they’d actually write a good working/personal relationship between Auggie and Anne but nope. This new guy will last the whole season and it will end w. him dead or working for the enemy. If there is another season .. another guy enters Annie’s life. If the rest of the show was good than I could overlook this aspect but, at last, it’s not and i can’t. Over it.

• DL says:

Don’t love how they’re shuffling the Annie/Auggie relationship off to Buffalo, but for me, I thought last season was firing on all cylinders. Dark, twisty, with constant tension, and great turnarounds. I thought last season was the best season of Covert Affairs yet, and I look forward to what this one will bring.

• Holly says:

I agree with you. I binge watched all of the Seasons and I have to say, they’ve definitely done a great job growing and evolving the characters. Last Season was by far the best.. and I only hope it continues along those lines. If they revert back to the earlier Seasons, I feel this show will end up cancelled.

I do wish they didn’t break off the Annie / Auggie relationship so quickly. I love them together… so hopefully this Season they find their way back to one another.

2. Samantha says:

What was the point of building up Annie and Auggie then? Why go that route if you’d spent half of the season w. them apart and come back into the new season w. them breaking up? Ugh. I deal w. enough angst during Fall TV schedule, not dealing w. it during summer as well.
    There are other things on cable TV Tuesday nights then a show that frustrates me. *cough* Rizzoli & Isles *cough*.

• LK says:

I never liked them as a couple… seemed like they worked better as friends… so i’m happy they are going this new direction

• Luli101 says:

I agree. I’ve never been into them as a couple. I think the spy story lines and the evolving of Annie are interesting enough with or without a love interest.

3. Priscilla says:

I agree with you I too am tired of the new love interest, just keep Annie and Auggie, in the worst case get them together at the end

4. Evan says:

What I want to know is is she still considered dead in the eyes of the rest of the world and does that mean she has no contact with her sister and her family.

5. KenL says:

So the show is going the route of all sub par shows that feel as if the “build up romantic tension” “release romantic tension” “break up the couple” “build up romantic tension again” round robin of story lines is actually good or needed. Nic Bishop. Well, the show may have gained him, but I’ve lost a lot of respect for this show. Think I’ll sit out this season. Yawn. I’m bored by the prospect of this merry go round. It would have been much more interesting to see Annie and Augie deal with their obvious feelings and see how they try to make things work. Just my subjective opinion. Adios Covert Affairs.

6. abz says:

Why was almost every single question about her love interests? The whole thing is getting tired. For so many seasons, it been working towards getting her with Auggie. So tired of shows feeling the need to bring in a second love interest as a way to cause conflict and drama for their characters. You want conflict between her and Auggie, go for it and come up with something. There’s just no need to create a love triangle. They’re rarely ever interesting.
    Also, how come no questions about the possibility of Anne Dudek returning or seeing her reaction at Annie’s death? Nothing about Arthur or Joan?

7. GeoDiva says:

Annie & Auggie can stay broken up. They are great friends and partners. Please bring back Eyal! Now let’s talk about the chemistry between these two.

• A says:

Yes Please!!!!! Although I love Eyal and Annie, I want him back in any copasity. Heck, make an Eyal spin off. Eyal is my absolute favorite character on Covert Affairs. Just bring him back forever!

• Amy says:

I totally agree! Auggie and Annie are much better as friends. She has unreal chemistry with Eyal. Really miss his character on the show. Bring Eyal back!

• Holly says:

Love Eyal!

8. Babybop says:

I do want Annie and Auggie together (that scene on the bus last season killed me), but I don’t even care as long as they bring back some of the fun. Last season was so dark, and I wasn’t looking forward to the episodes as much.

• Rachel says:

Yes!! After all these seasons, I honestly hope Eyal is the one she ends up with in the end. Though Auggie technically works for the CIA and has done “things” in his career, I don’t think he can completely understand everything Annie has gone through, the way Eyal does. And you absolutely cannot deny their spark!

9. CM says:

I’m leaving this show for others to watch.

With no likeable characters, the story isn’t that compelling.

• Priscillia says:

I agree with you all this new story is not interesting, Danielle was an endearing character, I hate to see Annie & Auggie them apart so I also quit this show

10. Tracy says:

Love Nic Bishop! Can’t wait to see what happens between he and Annie! Glad the show is being realistic about Annie’s life after four years in the CIA!

11. Mary says:

As much as I love Auggie, I’m a huge fan of Eyal as a foil for Annie. Their chemistry is undeniable!

12. Alichat says:

I’m glad that I am not the only one who isn’t enjoying the show much anymore. I agree that the love triangle cycle is tired……just….so….tired. Why spend so much time building toward Annie and Auggie together, and then trash the relationship two episodes later? It’s ridiculous. Why not write an intelligent relationship that is rich, complex, and fraught with the issues faced by two people who work together in this secretive world……and thread it through a season of great spy craft? Oh yeah….I forgot…this is a show that took four seasons to get their CIA spy lead character to wear a stinkin’ disguise…throw on a wig….invest in some hair color….wear a hat!

13. 4theloveoffilm says:

I haven’t watched the last several episodes from last season. I never watch a show soley for a romantic relationship; and there are many aspects of this show that I typically thoroughly enjoy. But I am definitely all for Annie and Auggie being together and I’m rather tired of the rotating men. She has already been in love several times. I thought Auggie was finally it. There is so much they can write with them together. I get that their careers eventually change them into different people, but I thought the whole idea was that they are NOT Joan and Arthur. They can have a healthy personal and professional relationship. Guess not. I know USA Network is going darker, but frankly I like the lighter side of things. There are enough dramas on TV, enough dark procedurals. And USA doesn’t sacrifice quality for a bit of lighter fare. Darn.

14. Lori Haws says:

I want Annie with Eyal.

15. marybadtke says:

i still like the return persin better

16. sdy says:

I definitely agree, it feels so weird that their relationship was so strong last season, and after two episodes, everything evaporates. Auggie sleeping around obviously causes her a bit discomfort, but doesn’t it feel somehow wrong? From the level of their emotional attachment last season to the platonic stage they are in right now, just not realistic. its frustrating as a fan to be teased for almost 3 seasons for them to get together then have them be together then break off and poof!.. they’re best of friends. frustrating!

17. Renee says:

Sorry But I what to see Eyal and her are the better choice. Auggie and her are better friend’s they don’t have chemistry I loved season 2 with Eyal and Annie was there best season so please bring Eyal back for good just can’t get a enough of him.

18. I think the only way to keep the fans is to have Auggie
    and Anne back together for good true love Many shows exist on true love and great cases

19. silvia mourão says:

despite the fantastic sexual tension between Eyal and Annie, and the trust that binds them so fiercely, it would be great to give Annie and Auggie a chance to try and deal with the highly complex interface between not being able to have a “normal” life but still managing to have true love develop and grow despite all odds. The psychological depth thus imparted to the show could be an interesting counterpart to the increasingly sophisticated acion element.