Critics' Choice Awards: Fargo, OITNB, Breaking Bad, Normal Heart, Cosmos and Allison Janney Are Big Winners

Critics Choice Winners 2014

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association’s fourth annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards were held Thursday night at the Beverly Hills Hilton, and FX’s Fargo and Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black did best, you betcha, winning three times each.

Also among the multiple winners were AMC’s Breaking Bad, Fox’s Cosmos, HBO’s The Normal Heart and actress Allison Janney, each topping two categories.

Here’s the complete list of winners:

BEST DRAMA SERIES

Outlander
Penny Dreadful
The Strain

LOUIS XIII GENIUS AWARD HONOREE
Ryan Murphy

1. Annie says:

Wow, of the first four winners, all are my sentimental picks. Lovely. :)

2. Rae says:

I’m crossing every extremity for Amy Poehler and Adam Scott. In reality I think I have a 5050 shot of getting my wish

3. Does Tatiana Maslany have a great chance of Winning?

• Tess says:

Apparently yes since she did. And thankfully so – her nomination and win was about the only thing I cared about with this award show… and here’s hoping the Emmy folks take notice and rightly nominate her (and give her the Emmy she deserves too).

• Matilda says:

Margulies was really spectacular this year though…

• abz says:

The Lead Drama Actress category is the hardest for me. I love so many of them. But still I’m very happy for Tatiana. She definitely deserved it.

• ZisforZombie says:

Seriously, I would have been okay with any of those lovely ladies winning. BOOM. However, SO SO SO happy for Tatiana. I just started OB and it is fantastic. Almost all caught up already. DAYMN. It still blows my mind that one lady plays all of these roles – she does a great job of making each clone have their own personality.

• theodore periwinkel says:

Who?

• dude says:

A) She’s already won. B) As good as she was, she was no Tatiana Maslany.

• Julie says:

Keri Russel is SO good as Elizabeth on The Americans and it sucks that they have to go up against each other but no one can touch Tatiana. There should just be a separate category: Best actress playing more than one character at a time otherwise there’s no chance for any of the other actresses. If Tatiana wasn’t in this category, this should’ve gone to Keri, hands down.

• Anne Hartman says:

I’m SO thrilled to see Tatiana won this award and I hope it’s just the beginning because she’s the best actress I’ve seen in a long, LONG time! Way to go, Tat!

4. Twilight123 says:

Congrats to Uzo!!!!!!! I’m so excited for her, that was a performance that really deserved award recognition

5. Braddock says:

Wow surprised for Bellamy Young. You must really be a great actress in order to convincingly play a deviant shady woman. Shes the female Hank Voight only shes not a cop and her voice isn’t like batman’s.

6. lindasays says:

So thrilled for Allison Toman!! And, what a sweet speech! Love her!!!

7. Victoria says:

I really hope Chris Messina wins! He’s done such an amazing job this season!

8. Janice W says:

Why doesn’t “Castle” get any recognition? I love that show and the whole cast is so talented.

9. Hannah says:

Still rooting for Chris Messina! He has done such an incredible job on The Mindy Project, especially in season 2 and his nomination is the only reason I’m watching!!

10. crog says:

Yay for Fargo

11. Erica says:

I am so happy…Bellamy Young, she deserves it and more!!!!

12. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.

It’s always interesting to read articles from other writers and
    practice a little something from other sites.

13. Jackie says:

Viva La McConaissance!!!!!

14. Amanda says:

Happy for all the Fargo love! Especially for Alison Tollman!

15. Lee McNutt says:

Is Orange is the New Black really a comedy? I have watched both seasons but hsve cosidered it more of a drama than a comedy. Happy for “Crazy Eyes” though.

• JJ Louw says:

IMO I disagree. Its clearly a serialized comedy with drama aspects.

It doesn’t have the feel of a full blown drama. It’s definitely more comedy than Drama.

• El says:

Yep, especially if you’ve read the book, which is not a drama either, but rather an aggressively boring badly concocted memoir with an agenda.

• Joey says:

Orange is the New Black and Shameless are two of the hardest to categorize series out there. They both have deeply dramatic moments, but they’re also filled with hilarious moments as well. Another reason why award shows should develop a dramedy category. There are a lot of other shows that would fit that mold as well.

• Zach says:

I thought Orange is the New Black was as hilarious as ER.

16. sladewilson says:

Congrats Bellamy Young!!!!!

17. Babygate says:

Tatiana, OITNB and Uzo… night made…

18. Dave says:

Disgusted that Lizzy and Vera lost out to that … whatever it is! Nobody watches that show! Glad for Allison & Matt, though, well-deserved wins.

19. Morgan says:

So happy for Cosmos!!!

20. whatsupwill says:

Broad City went home empty handed?

smh

21. anna says:

happy with most of the winners but bryan cranston was unbelievable on breaking bad’s last season, he should have won… same thing for anna gunn, I love bellamy young (in my opinion, one of the only good things in scandal), but I think anna should have gotten it instead. mark ruffalo instead of billy bob thornton too.

• Jerry says:

In Chinese culture, there is a term called “distributing pork” which used to describe the tendency of award shows to spread the awards to as many recipients as possible (minimizing repeats), which I guess is the reason why Bryan Cranston didn’t win, since he won the last two years and combined with finally meeting an “equal” with Matthew McConaughey, award shows are likely to award the other instead. And I guess Bellamy Young won because this may be one of her best shots of winning something compared to the many accolades that Anna Gunn had won.

Of course, there are two seperate school of thoughts. Do you award who you think is the best (whether that may be the nth time that person is awarded), or someone that is not the best but consistently one of the best? Because there are many actors and actresses that were consistently among the best (subjectively) and consistently nominated, but for some reason they were never quite the very best for that year.

22. Yule says:

Tatiana Maslany is overrated…

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Show me another actress who can not only carry a series the way Tatiana does, but can effortlessly play so many different characters at the same time. I remember Nina Dobrev saying it exhausted her to play two doppelgangers. I cannot imagine how Tatiana feels playing Sarah and Cosima and Helena and Alison and Rachel. Add the new clones that have and will pop up….she deserves every award she gets for what she does.

• Sue Jocelyn says:

She’s a monster.

• dioxinblues says:

Okay, sure. Just because YOU say so.
      smh

23. ScorpionGlow says:

Congrats to Matt Bomer and The Normal Heart.

24. Lululime says:

We’ll if the critics don’t even pick Vera Farmiga and Christine Baranski them there goes my Emmy hopes.

25. Alichat says:

Most Exciting New Series? Is that a legit category?

26. Alichat says:

Most Exciting New Series? Is that a legitimate category?

27. lindasays says:

Huge congrats to Tatiana Maslany! So well deserved. She amazes us more and more every week. Orphan Black is appointment tv in this house, she is such a joy to watch!! Too bad she couldn’t be nominated for supporting actress, too. They should make an exception for her…lol.

28. Babybop says:

Now can the Emmy’s recognize Tatiana Malsany? She is so good, I can tell when she’s a clone impersonating a clone.

29. Josh says:

As good as McConaughey was, I don’t think he was better than Cranston. Saying that, he’s got an Oscar, so he’ll win and we’ll get to hear another speech about how great he is.

30. Sims says:

So it turns out the Critics’ Choice Awards hates network television too! Kudos.

31. anne mcclusky says:

In what universe is Orange is the New Black a comedy? Love the show–it has some comedy here and there, but a comedy it is not.

32. queerbec says:

Did anyone else get the idea that in some cases the names of the winners were leaked in order to encourage greater attendance at the ceremony? A lot of the losers seemed to be absent and it seemed like the folk fromBBC America didn’t feel it was cost effective to fly folk over.

33. arial2 says:

Liked most of the selections (as much as I appreciated Bellamy Young’s performance, I think that category should have gone to Christine Baranski). Truly pleased about Cosmos and Neil deGrasse Tyson winning their categories: beautiful, wonderful show.

34. Britta Unfiltered says:

I knew Michael Sheen wouldn’t win, but regardless, I was really rooting for him. Same with Lizzy Caplan. I was super happy Fargo did so well, but was hoping they would recognize Martin Freeman over Billy Bob. I think Freeman had the tougher role to play and did perfectly with it. I was also happy for Uzo, Breaking Bad, and Aaron Paul. Anna Gunn got robbed. Which season of Veep got the nomination? Two or three? Because if it was three, then Veep got robbed. Season three of Veep has been my favorite thing on television in 2014 so far. But I do love OITNB too.

35. cjeffery7 says:

Kate Mulgrew! Uzo Aduba! Allison Tolman! YES YES YES!!

36. Lauren says:

It makes me so happy seeing actors who deserve these accolades finally getting some recognition. Although I would have gone with Chris Messina and Emmy Rossum for The Best Actor/Actress in a Comedy categories.

37. BlackAndBlue says:

Yeah, I’m good with this, but no love for Game of Thrones? Come on now…

38. Nate says:

Please tell me this wasn’t on tv?

39. theodore periwinkel says:

Talk about the fix being in. All award shows are a bunch of shi-…..Anyone who believes the results needs serious therapy..Say Amen……….Say Alleluia

40. Miranda says:

So no-one won MOST EXCITING NEW SERIES? They all just get honorable mentions?

41. Aimee says:

This is the first time ever that I have agreed with most of the winners. I am so excited for Tatiana, Kate Mulgrew and Uzo Aduba. All three are fantastic and so deserving!

42. Rich says:

Is FX going to run Fargo again?Any one know?

43. pat says:

What about ncis &Ncis la

44. D. says:

I’m loving all this Allison Jenney and OITNB love…

45. MLO says:

How does Orange is the New Black qualify as a TV show? And also, if Fargo is considered a mini-series, shouldn’t True Detective have been on par as opposed to being categorized as a ‘drama series’. Illogical.

46. Gladys says:

With all do respect for all the winners, I am very disappointed that The Good Wife Actors or show didn’t get an award. They are often nominated, but so far haven’t won.

47. csr says:

Maggie Siff should’ve won. She was amazing this season on SoA.

48. Fabe says:

Hugh Dancy deserves the win. Everything about Hannibal needs to win awards.

49. Jake says:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep? Really? I find this woman more annoying that comedic. There are more talented and deserving individuals than she.

50. DavidSask says:

Some great wins,This show should be called the CABLE AWARDS! Enough with Jim Parsons, ugggh!