Exclusive

American Idol Offering $50,000 to Season 14 Champ's 'True Believer'

American Idol True Believer

Don’t worry if your singing voice is reminiscent of a shot glass in a food processor: You can still win Season 14 of American Idol.

No, Fox’s reality singing competition isn’t adding a new Auto-Tune feature to its live shows, but rather, it’s planning to dole out a $50,000 prize to the family member, friend or colleague most instrumental in getting the show’s 2015 champ to audition — AKA his or her “True Believer.”

RELATED | American Idol: 6 Most-Appreciated Improvements — and 6 Biggest Missteps — of the Season 13 Reboot

Contestants will be asked by the show’s producers to choose their own “True Believers”; if the eventual champ decides not to designate one, the show will donate the $50,000 to a charity of its own choosing.

Idol is announcing the “True Believer” program as it kicks off its first round of Season 14 auditions beginning June 18 in Minneapolis, followed by stops in New Orleans (June 25); Uniondale, NY (July 23); Nashville (July 30); and San Francisco (Sept. 29).

RELATED | American Idol Runner-Up Jena Irene Talks Songwriting Process, Covering Paramore, Elvis & Zedd and Voting ‘No’ to Top 5 Twist

The show will also offer hopefuls the chance to submit auditions online through social media using #TheNextIdol hashtag, via the show’s official site (americanidol.com) and through an 11-city bus tour that launches July 9. The dates for those stops are as follows:

VIDEO | American Idol Winner Caleb Johnson Talks Bond-Theme Aspirations, R-Word Dustup and the Importance of a Full Band

West Coast Bus Tour
July 9 – Portland OR
July 12 – Reno, NV
July 15 – Albuquerque, NM
July 17 – Amarillo, TX
July 19 – Branson, MO
July 21 – Kansas City, MO

East Coast Bus Tour
July 9 – Portland, ME
July 12 – Columbus, OH
July 15 – Richmond, VA
July 17 – Myrtle Beach, SC
July 20 – Tallahassee, FL

1. Mary says:

Not a bad Ideal. Maybe this will provide us with some really strong contenders. I am hoping for a diverse group next year.

2. Matthew says:

I sat near the the Idol’s biggest inspirations at the finale this year, who both got brand new cars and they both seemed very excited at that prize! I enjoyed the surprise of that and I feel this new twist might take some joyous-thrill out of the show’s last episode, but it might get some good talent flowing.

3. Dawn says:

I think you are wrong!!! This season of American Idol was an awesome one!!! And with Caleb winning I felt from the beginning he was a winner! He deserved it!!! Jena was great too but Caleb was so consistent in his performances!!! There wasn’t one of his performances I didn’t like!!! Way to go Caleb and to you too Jena!

4. Bong says:

This isn’t going to make a bit of difference. Irrelevant. Boring change. Only good for the person who wins it. Does zero for viewers. YAWN.

5. heidi says:

ive always wanted to sing or be a dancer for the videos :(

6. Steven says:

So Jlo won’t get auto tune?

This seems so silly. The “true believer” usually gets a Ford unless Idol has lost that sponsor. Its not really gonna be incentive to get anyone to audition that wouldnt.

7. Lynn Roche says:

Hey there Michael and Belinda! I’m not being completely bias but I think they let Keri Lynn Roche (yep, my daughter) go a little too early season XIII…she could’ve reached thru the TV and connected for sure and her voice is pretty darn good too!! :)

• Kelly says:

I for one really wanted to see more of her! Loved what we heard and was really disappointed when she got cut. Can she return?

8. Esaul says:

Why is it going to Portland over Boston? o_O

9. zac says:

I thought they already added an Auto Tune feature. Seen one during the finale. This girl was sitting on a piano…

10. maryvill king says:

I entering my daughter maryvill she can sing please call me I want to enter her in American Idol please call me mary . 8086995788 thank your

11. I Love American Idol First Of All. Caleb I New He Was Going To Win When I First Heard His Voice Just Awesome. The Judges Who I Love Was The Right Choice, They Also bring A variety Of Entertainment Of Their Own Perfect Group, I Hope They Stay For A Long Time Much Love To All And Ryan You Are Awesome.

12. walter veal says:

there got to be a better voting system i turn of my tv when the best singers is voted off i like idol but its makes me sick i just stop looking its something wrong with some of the voting don”t get me wrong i have no problem with winner but how it was done