24 Recap: Give 'Em Heller!

24 Live Another Day Heller Dies

The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from this week’s 24: Live Another Day. All typing occurred in real time.

It is remotely conceivable, being the twisty-turny world of 24, that what happened at the close of this Monday’s episode did not, in fact, happen.

But assuming for the time being that it absolutely did… wow. RIP, POTUS.

RELATED | 24 Boss: Time Jump Is Coming — Plus, Might Kate Replace Jack?

When it was announced a small eternity ago that William Devane was on board for 24: LAD, I admittedly shrugged. Love the actor, but SecDef James Heller was never a favorite character. Maybe I held it against him the way he gave Jack the cold shoulder during the whole catatonic Audrey mess.

But as President of the United States for this fateful day, he got my vote — never more so than in these past couple of hours, when Heller did not pull the expected bullheaded, boneheaded 24 ‘move (e.g. I will hide my impairment and forge ahead!) and instead acknowledged the liability he soon enough would become and decided to sacrifice his life for the greater good. “The needs of the many…,” as Spock (or, you know, Dickens) put it.

Along the way, during this week’s hour, Devane was frickin’ on fire, whether bellowing his stance on this ultimate sacrifice,24LAD_EP8-SC812_CR-004 saying a discreet farewell to daughter Audrey (a moment that could have been hokey but instead rang sweet) or letting fly with Greek chorus-type zingers. (The one about Jack’s skills as a surgeon? Awesome.)

If this was in fact the last we’ll see of Devane — I don’t know how it’s not, but: 24! — I applaud his eight-episode term as POTUS. It was nice to not have a sneaky, snaky commander-in-chief for the show’s unexpected revival, but rather one more in the tradition of David Palmer. (Even weasely Mark was allowed a redemptive moment, choosing service to his president over some jealousy-fueled sabotage of Jack’s plan.)

The rest of 24‘s 200th episode was equally intense — even poor Jordan Reed’s evasion of, and brief drop on, the hitman sent by Navarro. Sad he fell for the ol’ “Is the safety on?” trick (groan), but I trust Jordan will come to, use the killer’s cell to alert Kate to Navarro’s betrayal… etc. (P.S. to Navarro: Did you really ring your cleaner’s phone, knowing he likely was in the midst of sneaking up on his target? Bush!)

The question moving forward, though, is: Did that epic kill satisfy Margot? Lord knows, Ian is happy to egg Mom on. (Ian wants to smash stuff!) And maybe that last look at Margot was to suggest that she finds herself oddly… dissatisfied. Or, will her vengeance be reignited by news that Simone died in CIA custody? (Forgetting for a moment that her stonehearted mom tried to kill her herself!)

How do you think 24: LAD will flesh out the final four episodes/16 hours (and yes, the last episodes will span 16 hours) of the day?

1. Emgee says:

“24” has been absolutely firing on all cylinders this mini-season. Not a bad minute yet.
    Side note, I knew by the end of this hour, Heller would be pardoning Jack, and I know I’m not alone in that,

• Julie says:

Something will obviously go wrong with that though. Remember the Russians expect him to be handed over when everything is over.

• Emgee says:

No doubt about it. But since Heller was unaware of Mark’s actions, it was glaringly obvious that he was going to pardon Jack.
        How the rest will play out will be great to watch.

2. Ryan says:

(Forgetting for a moment that her stonehearted mom tried to kill her herself!)

Very clever…😏

3. Ryan says:

Great episode! Hoping this isn’t the last of Heller. He didn’t get the “silent clock” treatment at the end of the episode…that’s a small window of hope! Really enjoying 24: LAD. It’s been great seeing Jack Bauer on TV again!

• Julie says:

Unless they did a switch with someone right before the missle hit, I don’t think he made it out of that one.

• BadBoyBeef says:

Cloey found 3 Streams of Data, one was the “inpenetrable control stream”. What is, when she found out one of the other streams were the video feed for the drone? She was still on the phone, could have warned jack and he got heller the second out before the missile hits, feeding Margot just a video loop standing him there.

Can’t wait next episode. A week can feel so long…

• Andrea says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I do believe Heller would have gotten a silent countdown clock if he was truly gone.

• Gerald says:

I immediately thought about Chloe getting a video feed on the drone., but for them to film it and loop it would have taken a minute at least once the drone was in view. And it wasn’t long after that that they blew it up. But it is 24!!! I am sure the timing worked out.
          I hope Jordan survives and he and Chloe get some screen time together.

• Erick says:

I noticed the lack of a silent clock too. However, Renee got “clocked” when she was buried alive in Day Seven and she still made it out.

4. Nik says:

“…Stonehearted mom.” Nice GoT allusion!

5. lins says:

Dude. This episode was Cray

6. drhenning says:

We needed a silent closer of that episode for the death of a long term character like the POTUS…

7. Kris says:

Devane deserves an Emmy nod after that episode. Wow. Simply beautiful acting. Superb episode!

8. Jeff says:

I’m presuming the absence of a silent clock for The President (and Jack’s would be father-in-law who had just pardoned him) means he slipped into a Wembley stadium secured bunker right as the drones were launched. Or so I can hope.

9. KevinK says:

William Devane for Performer of the Week! Such an emotional episode!

10. Paul says:

I doubt James Heller was killed by the missile. Despite his medical condition, I think he wants to see Margot dead. Somehow, it will be revealed a substitute was used in Heller’s place or a hologram, after all it’s 24! James Heller will be back next week.

• Julie Miller says:

If we mere mortals can have holograms of Tupak and Michael Jackson then surely “24” can have one for POTUS Heller, right? I thought that last week when they showed the coming attractions for this week. Should be interesting. I am sure that in all of the buildup to his death that somehow as Jack gets close enough to Margot and her son that it may be revealed that Heller didn’t die. How that will be achieved remains to be seen. It will however have to look like Heller is dead in order for Margot to believe that she achieved her goal as Jack, Kate and everyone else hunting for her closes in.

• McNasty says:

yes, jack set it up while sneaking POTUS out of the White House…come on…this season has been far fetched and booooring….lowest kill count for Bauer yet, (there’s a wiki page dedicated to the almost 400 kills in the… 8 days? of 24) and the drone car chase was just ridiculous…if you’re going to end a show of this caliber, at least TRY.

• Larry says:

I agree

11. Robby Horine says:

Did they give Heller the silent clock?

• MattDawgs says:

No. They didn’t which made me think he’s alive.

• Diz says:

My thoughts too, no silent clock. I grew to really like Heller as President. Finally one that wasn’t a total bumbling idiot. I hope he’s still alive, but this episode was awesome and sad with every emotion in between. Good stuff!

12. roy says:

Uhm my guess Cloe was hacking into the drones and told jack so maybe…. she changed the video feed and jack told heller to hide. probably untill the last episode and use his death for a play

• Suz says:

I agree with you Roy in that Chloe must have had some kind of comupter override to make everyone think Heller is dead! The face recognition was there but there was no heat sorce for the body. Plus, with no ticking clock…

Heller doesn’t want to resign due to his health. This way he goes out on top, and he can fade away in some country home with his legacy in tact.

• Erick says:

There had to be more of a reason to spend so much time with the “dig the tracker out of Heller’s arm” plot than, the Secret Service can track him leaving the building. Maybe it’s so now nobody can track him now that he’s supposedly dead!

13. I feel sorry for anybody that’s in Jack’s way next week.

14. L says:

Rather far fetched.. the secret service would never leave the president unguarded.. They would have someone with him at all times. and there certainly would not be any doors with no guards in front of them.

15. Tran says:

The best if not one of the best hours of 24: Live Another Day I’ve ever seen. So sad to see President Heller bit the dust by a drone mastered by Margot and I can’t believe she’s going to pay the price for it. With only four episodes left of 24: Live Another Day, will any major characters survive to the end? Are you going to have a plot line between the Chinese and the Russians? Will Jack and Chloe make it through and what are the chances the series is going to bring back Tony Almeida?

16. Holly says:

If President Heller had really been killed, then why does imdb list him as on board for all 12 episodes? Maybe Chloe worked some crazy magic.

• Chris Leonardi says:

Your mistake is assuming that IMDB is a valid source of information. Anyone can edit it. It’s about as reliable as Wikipedia.

17. Moritz says:

I also don’t believe that Heller is dead especially because of the silent ending. The same thing happened to Tony Almeida. In season 7 he returned. I think what happened is that Cloe found a way to hack into the video feed of the drone and manipulate it so the terrorist still think that James was actually sill in the stadium. But Jack rescued him in the last second. I recently watched an interview with Kim Raver. In that she claims that episode 11 shocked her very much. I believe that the President will return in ep 11. Until then everybody must think that he is dead so the attacks can stop.

18. ccsp says:

I think Mark is going to cancel Jack’s pardon.

19. TV says:

This season would be incredible no matter what happens if it ended with Jack going to some secret prison finding his cellmate is a very much alive man named Michael Scofield.

20. itsbighead says:

lol did anyone notice that young heller looked like tom cruise in that photo audrey showed him

21. Faye says:

I loved every minute of tonight’s show. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
    Jack is so compelling. Even when he is showing restraint, the viewing can feel that boiling intensity just below the surface.
    But next week I’m expecting to see him full-throttle bad ass vengeance mode.

22. jasonboegh says:

What a fantastic episode indeed! Devane was brilliant and will hopefully remembered come Emmy time in 2015… And I have to say it arguably included the best words Jack Bauer has ever said~ “Wake the bitch up!” Hysterical!

• Chloe says:

That was my favorite line of the episode.

24 really went for it with this hour. I kept hoping for a last-minute reprieve, but no dice. Classic 24.

• Jim Schultze says:

Great line, but my all-time favorite Bauer line is from Season 2: “I’m gonna need a hacksaw”.

23. Ryan says:

I hope he is dead. I like the character and the actor, but having him survive cheapens the episode. If he lives, then the episode goes from great to average.

24. Jesse says:

I too, like most commenters here, was surprised at the lack of “silent clock” after President Heller’s death. Maybe this gives us a glimmer of hope that he isn’t really gone?

25. L Lou says:

IMDB says Devane is in all 12 episodes and Margot 11.

26. Jay Benjamin says:

really bad cgi at the end there- they should watch batman to find out how to blow up a stadium! Maybe jack pushed him out of the line of fire at the last minute! They were watching optical cams not the infrared ones so it’s very possible I think. They were avoiding all those drone missiles in the street like 2 hours ago, right? I think jack and heller could have evaded one little missile. – i liked heller a lot better in this season- it would be sad to see him go under these circumstances. How are the drones getting gas? they’re doing all this flying around but no one is gassing them up.

27. Tom Detour says:

Do know if everyone noticed. When Heller was in the stadium with Jack and walking towards the center of the field he had on a black cap. But when they zoomed in on Heller with the drone, he did not have his cap on.

• justsaheyin says:

yeah. they showed him take it off and hold it in his hands as he was waiting for Margot. classic case of thinking it’s so cool that you noticed something others didn’t, that you got it all wrong. Lesson? It’s not that cool even if you HAD noticed something. just bc you post it on a msg board first does not prove your intelligence OR earn you cool points. in fact, it implies that like me you’re sad and alone and have noone better to talk to on the internets.

• MadGuy says:

LOOOOL

• eye says:

Meanwhile, your post is a classic case of someone thinking that it’s cool to go off on someone and accuse them of something, while conveniently ignoring the common sense fact that maybe they happened to look away for a moment. Do you get cool points for that?

28. AW says:

William Devane deserves an Emmy for this episode! Will miss him greatly!

29. KB says:

Remember..,Tony didn’t get a silent clock in S5

30. Great Garloo says:

The 200th episode was intense and exciting. Devane (Heller ) was spot on, heroic, emotional, melancholy, witty, worthy of an Emmy!!! I too believe that Chloe was able to alter the video transmission of the drone So when the missile fired on the presumed “target” the video display only acknowledged a kill… Either way we cant lose a President like Heller!… The clip for next week also indicates that Margot and company didn’t keep their word about returning the drones… or perhaps another faction(Navarro) and company will take over their dirty work….. I think Devane(Heller) will appear again, if only to be able to exile with what is left of his life and faculties before Alzheimer’s takes its toll….

31. Parker says:

This was a fantastic episode. However, I must say that President Heller deserved a silent clock for his death.

32. parkert1984 says:

President Heller should have gotten a silent clock…

33. Ron says:

Cloe was able to take over the visual sensors on the drone and superimpose Heller on the field.

We are coming up toward the twist in the story. I believe there maybe a tread from the Sum of All Fears. Russians financed the plot as payback. Now that they and Margot believe Heller is dead, rather than crashing the drones they will be used to attack the increased Chinese naval presence.

34. Adam says:

if you look at IMDB for 24 live another day it shows William Devane ( Heller) and the guy who plays Jordan both are credited with appearing in all 12 episodes of this season.
    Combine that with no silent clock it could mean Heller is alive!
    also the guy who played Naveed is only credited as playing in 4 episodes which he did

• eye says:

Being credited, and being in are not the same thing. IMDB and Wikipedia are both sites that can be edited. It’s best not to think of everything as a fact.

35. Joanne says:

Is he really dead…did Choloe save him at the very last minute….I though he was fantastic on the show…and as always Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer….how will this all end…..

36. Mel says:

“Things are getting tense,” says Devane, calling from London, where filming is just wrapping up.” Interview with Ann Oldenburg, USA Today, June 15, 2014.

Would they keep an actor on location in London if the character he plays died in episode 8, just to not give the plot away???

• Ajay Chand says:

Mel is 100% That scene at Wembly was filmed April 29th. How do I know this? Sutherland posted pictures of himself and Devane while shooting there.

37. Ajay Chand says:

Spoiler Alert: Heller is not dead. We will find out what happened next week, but Heller lives. How do I know this? Actors from the set have posted behind the scenes pictures of their cast mates, and there was one with Devane and Fry in a scene where they were about to board a jet. This was for episode 12 I believe. It could also be for episode 11, I am not sure. But what I am sure of is that, Heller is alive and well. I surmise whatever Chole was working on during the final minutes of last night’s episode worked. Perhaps Jack reached out to Belcheck and had him in position for an extrication. Many possibilities.

38. Ajay Chand says:

I wonder if Heller will also grant Chole a pardon too.

39. drgnprncs says:

No way Prez Heller makes the ultimate sacrifice and isn’t honored with a silent count to end the episode. He’s alive.

40. Dmp says:

There was no silent clock at the episode’s end, so I don’t believe it.

41. Daniel Twist says:

I have a theory that Heller is not dead.

Theory 1:

Chloe O’brian managed to hack into the terrorist’s computer system. The Footage they are seeing on their computer screen is not from a live feed but from a recording, just before President James Heller manages to get to a safe distance. The drone does howover cause an explosen on the field but no one is killed.

Theory 2:

Having hacked into the terrorist’s computer system Chloe programs the drone to hit a different area of the field, a safe distance away from the President

42. Pat says:

I love William Devane. When i heard he was going to be on the show i was thrilled. i can’t believe that they killed him off. Very disappointed, but still love the show!

43. MARTIN SMITH says:

Finally; a POTUS who is man enough to
    face the consequences of his misdeeds !!
    Bill Devane got some real backbone in
    his character!!

44. Pat says:

Oh, and personally, i don’t think President Heller is dead either. It will be like the movie Speed where they pretend he is standing there but he really isn’t. I love this show!

45. MKSAYS says:

THIS IS WHAT A SHOW IS(24)AND SHOULD BE,I GIVE CREDIT TO THE CAST AND CREW OF 24

46. acurat says:

Show is on fire, and I like the attitude of the old show runners in control of this abbreviated season. “There is no ‘next’ season of 24 planned right now but if the right opportunity presents itself and if there is a story to tell, we will do it.” That is the saving grace of 24 this year – a new storyline with drones being highjacked and a new market for this to take place. It is my hope at some point it does come back again with something new to tell… that is what makes this a solid show.

47. One of the GREATEST shows on tv…. So Realistic…

48. Erin says:

Stonehearted. ha. HA.

49. 24hr says:

dont forget Adrian said he is working on something to chloe (trading secrets with chinese – for what purpose? chloe is loyal to jack and adtian is in love with chloe. What way to impress the girl? there is a crater bigger than the one left on heller( doubt it) to be unraveled.

50. Ryan Moore says:

Heller did not die, if you look at imdb he is in all 12 episodes.