Did Fargo Twist Rob Us of Romance? Was Thrones Too Bloody? Naughtier Mistresses Than Ever? And More Qs!

Game of Thrones

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Game of Thrones, Veep, Fargo and So You Think You Can Dance!

1 | Wasn’t the premiere of NBC’s Crossbones far less campy than it appeared in the promos?

2 | We know Orphan Black has a lot going on, but shouldn’t Sarah and Art at least make mention of Helena’s whereabouts?

3 | Once Game of Thrones‘ Mountain had squashed Oberyn Martell’s head like an overripe strawberry, did the HBO series really have to show us the aftermath? And are you already missing the sexy Dornish prince, even though he’s been gone less than a week? And wouldn’t it have been great to see the look on Arya’s face if she were to have met Sansa 2.0?

RELATED | Game of Thrones Reigns Over Sopranos as Most Popular HBO Series

4 | Silicon Valley fans, is anyone clear what a Weissman score is? (Other than having a high one is a good thing.) And could we have a web-series of a sleep-deprived Jared pitching alternative Pied Piper apps?

veep-selina-haircut-dan-beard5 | Are we the only ones who thought Veep Selina’s haircut really wasn’t so bad? And might Dan actually look better with the beard?

6 | Did watching the Halt and Catch Fire kids play with a Speak & Spell make you wonder whatever happened to your Texas Instruments toys?

7 | Are we really supposed to believe that despite Devious Maids’ Nick owning an eight-bedroom home, not a single one of them is an indoor gym? Also, why has he been keeping Opal’s secret when it’s clear that Dahlia’s death is entirely her fault?

8 | Why, why, why must there always be a contestant on Food Network Star who isn’t comfortable in front of the camera? Don’t they know that’s a huge part of the job description?

9 | While it was nice of Mistresses to show us that Karen is a decent enough therapist to pay the mortgage on her gorgeous house, we’re ready for her to fire up the oven and serve us piping-hot-mess souffle for the rest of the year, right? Also, can anyone fathom how Harry and Kyra With the Fun Bags’ morning-sex scene went down (ahem) with ABC’s censors without getting left on the editing-room floor? (Not that we’re complaining…)

RELATED | Spoilers on Nashville, Teen Wolf, Grey’s, Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Dixie, Once, Hannibal and More

Bachelorette10 | Seriously, Bachelorette producers? “Pantaspreneur”? Also, raise your hand if four hours of ABC’s reality dating competition in one week is twice as much as you can/want to handle!

11 | As wonderfully inspired as Fargo‘s outta nowhere time jump was, does it kinda suck that we were deprived of witnessing more of Molly and Gus’ courtship?

12 | Did Awkward really need the “Luke might be cheating on Jenna” fake-out before the credits? (Also, why was Luke stripped down to his boxers for that massage?)

13 | Couldn’t Faking It‘s Amy do so much better than the kind-of-shallow Karma? And weren’t the storm clouds at the end of this week’s episode a titch over the top? We’d have guessed that trouble is brewing on the horizon regardless of the imagery.

14 | Although So You Think You Can Dancer James Thomas’ contortionist moves were a thing of freaky wonder, should the judges really have put him through to choreography if they could barely stand to watch him do his thing without covering their eyes?

15 | How come nobody’s talking about USA’s wacky-delightful Playing House?

16 | Let’s face it: Wasn’t John Oliver’s impassioned plea to Internet commenters on Last Week Tonight the most important TV monologue of the week?

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

20Qs_RisingStar17 | Is ABC perhaps being a bit optimistic about how many people will tune into Rising Star, let alone vote with the app and have their avatar appear on The Wall?

18 | We’re diehard romantics, make no mistake: But did The 100’s Finn and Clarke really hit pause on their race to warn the others at camp, in order to survey their feeeeeelings for each other? Also, are you a bit disappointed that the Adults in Space element of the story apparently will last barely a season?

19 | Have you seen Arrow star Stephen Amell’s first pre-season workout drill? Did you break a sweat just watching it?

20 | It took three-and-a-half seasons for Melissa & Joey to even make it to the aisle. Did the show really need the twist of Joe having a teenage daughter he didn’t know about?

21 | Is Baby Daddy going to completely ignore Danny’s feelings for Riley? Or is it only something to trot out any time he gets into a serious relationship?

22 | No one on staff here is an expert in bar design per se, but why does Undateable have the manager’s office right off the main room where, like, a restroom would be? When there apparently is a whole upstairs… right up the stairs? Also, did any Bill Lawrence comedy loyalists experience deja vu when Briga Heelan started dueting with her Last Comic Standingleading man à la Ground Floor?

23 | Did Last Comic Standing‘s DeAnne “Tell It To My Balls!” Smith totally make you think of SNL‘s “Kings of Catchphrase Comedy Tour” bit?

24 | Does Big Brother‘s new hi-def broadcast mean that houseguests’ bigoted views will be clearer than ever?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. #15 Yes I am LOOOOOVVVVIIIINNNNGGGGG Playing House – These two BFF’s (other show) are just totes Kewl (but in a serious way!)

2. April says:

Oh Oberyn, I will miss your sexy sexiness.

3. Katie_Mead says:

1) And wasn’t there a lot more of the very competent Richard Coyle in the actual broadcast than the trailers?

11) Nah, I’m fine with the well-executed time-jump; we don’t need an overdose of romance cluttering every show up!

19) I have seen it now, so thanks for the heads up :p

4. Mikael says:

I found that Game of Thrones scene so disturbing! I’m so used to how gory the show can be, so it must be that I liked Oberyn. I might not have cared so much if it were Tywin.

5. Catherine says:

Yeeees, I miss Prince Oberyn sooo much¡¡¡

6. Gilded Lady says:

8) Because it makes “drama?” Also, why do people still come to the show without finely honed pitches about their POV?

7. Piper says:

Thank you for mentioning Playing House! I hope enough people recognize it’s greatness so that we’ll have many more seasons to come!!

8. Britt says:

My comments are either not posting or just not showing :(

9. Lisa Benwitz says:

#8, re Next Food Network Star – What bugs me the most is the contestants who don’t come on with a clear concept of what kind of a show they’ll have, or even what kind of cooking they’re going to do. Marketing is equally as important as cooking skills, if not more so. Not having camera skills, I can see–I mean, you can practice in front of the mirror until you’re blue, but being in front of the camera with all the lights on you is a lot different. Watching some contestants develop those camera skills as they progress is actually a fun part of the show for me.

10. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I agree about O.B Sarah and Art need get Helena back those people will’ try’ to fill up her head w/a bunch of BS…..but Helena is smart so will see.
    Fargo I REALLY like but that time jump kinda suck I wanted to see Gus’ hearing and what he said that ended up with him losing his job as a cop!

11. Julie says:

Why aren’t you talking about “Orphan Black”? I love “Playing House” too.

12. Katie Eliot says:

Baby Daddy so needs to explore Danny’s feelings for Riley! But I bet they don’t want the same season finale as last time…

• alyssa says:

Right!? They’ve been mentioning his secret love for her since the pilot episode. And I hate Georgie. Danny’s ability to fall so hard for these other girls make it harder to take his feelings for Riley seriously. I feel like if they don’t go there soon, it will never be possible to explore that storyline later realistically

• Lindsay says:

I actually would rather them put Riley back with Ben at the end of this season. Give Ben and Riley a nice chance to be together, but have them realize how incompatible they really are. Then put Riley and Danny together. I want Riley and Danny to be end game, I don’t want them to be put together for like 1-2 episodes and then break up for some stupid reason.

13. IMHO says:

4.Jared pitching alternative Pied Piper apps was absolutely hilarious !Great show, Release the Kraken !
    15. Playing House is another good show. It is not getting the press it deserves.

14. ... says:

2: I think that had to do with time management (they can’t/shouldn’t keep every plate spinning every week) and Sarah knowing Helena can handle herself. She’ll go back for her sestra, but not before she handles some business with the Dyad.
    5: It was a cute cut, but I get why they were panicking – a sudden change in image could signal that she’s panicking, shorter hair could harden her to a sect of voters, etc. Also, Reid Scott’s insanely handsome either bearded or unbearded.
    7: My guess is that Ethan is Nicholas’s child and Opal’s holding him hostage with that information. She’ll go to the press about the affair they had if he doesn’t support herself and Ethan for the foreseeable future.
    15: Some combination of: it’s really low-key, it’s not produced/starring big names in mainstream comedy, and the media only focusing in on one female-led comedy at a time (New Girl, Mindy, etc.) Plus, it premiered during the latter part of the season and kind of got lost in the shuffle.
    21: It’s just classic sitcom plotting – they’re going to tease Danny/Riley and put as many obstacles in front of them as possible before finally going there. I just don’t understand why he’s with Georgie, because she’s pretty horrific in the way she treats his best friend.

15. Tom Charles says:

15 | How come nobody’s talking about USA’s wacky-delightful Playing House?
    ~~~~~~~
    Because it wasn’t funny the first time around when it was called Best Friends Forever, why would it be funny now?
    ~~~~~~~~
    16 | Let’s face it: Wasn’t John Oliver’s impassioned plea to Internet commenters on Last Week Tonight the most important TV monologue of the week?
    ~~~~~~~~
    If that doesn’t make it perfectly clear he’s a a force to be reckoned with, nothing does. It rocked.

16. Marty says:

Playing House is an absolute hoot! If I can’t watch the original air, I love the Saturday morning catch-up, starts the day out right! This show is “Bangin”!

17. knd says:

John Oliver was just plain genius this week.

18. Regina says:

Also re: Melissa and Joey, is this the first time they’ve established that Mel’s full name is Melanie? Or did I miss that at some earlier point in the show? Why is the show called Melissa and Joey? And I’m hoping the secret daughter thing is a fake out. The whole secret daughter thing completely ruined season 6 of Gilmore Girls…

• JKR says:

Yes, Mel’s full name was established in season 1. I, too, found it odd that it wasn’t Melissa…. I guess the show decided to go with the actress’ name at the show title. Kind of like it’s Melissa and Joey, but he goes by “Joe” on the show.

• vaneileana says:

Oh my God, I totally agree. I could barely get through that season of Gilmore Girls. I really hope they don’t do that with them. Although, they really shouldn’t have gone there because it was working just fine as it was.

• Luli says:

The daughter has already been casted, so I don’t think it’s a fake out…

19. cuius says:

25 Given there are 6+ billion people in the world, why do late night talk/comedy shows have to restrict themselves to the same 100 people in a continuing merry-go-round repeating the same answers week after week?

20. TinLV says:

Truthfully, I covered my eyes before the final squash of Oberon’s head.. I am not overly sensitive of that sort of thing, I was an EMT for years and have seen some pretty gory stuff, but there is a limit to what I want to see in my living room.

21. Diz says:

I almost spit out my Coke when reading #24 Big Brother lol!

22. #15 – I LOOOVVVVEEEE Playing House. Funny, Funny, Funny, Funny, Funny! My only question/complaint: Are we supposed to just forget that Mark has a wife?

#12 – I am fast losing interest in Awkward and Faking It. Awkward…specifically Tamara and Jake….has become so annoying it’s hard to watch.

• Ram510 says:

I’m shocked to hear people say they don’t like this season of Awkward. I feel this has been a very solid season with overall a great story. I will however agree that Jake and Tamara have gotten old but it seems these past course episodes they are sort of going in different directions which is nice

• Matty and Sadie are the only things worth watching for me anymore. I agree that they are going in a different direction, but I’m not a fan. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. The show is starting to remind me of a bad SNL sketch.

23. QWE says:

#7 – Opal are Nick have been stuck with each other because each knows something about the other. He knows she killed Dahlia; she knows that he’s responsible for the crime that Dahlia wanted to reveal the night she died. If Nick ratted on Opal and sent her to prison, she’d rat him out too.

24. torimelching says:

4. Weissman score no idea and I love technology I just don’t make it.
    5. Bad haircut. But Dan looked really hot with the beard.
    11. No. I don’t mind Gus and Molly but glad we skipped the dating.
    12. Awkward really is bad this year. Especially next to Faking It. This last episode will be my last.
    13. Yes on all the questions.
    15. I love episodes of Playing House, then others i’m not that into.
    22. Yes about Ground Floor. If she wasn’t on both shows they should have done a crossover singing episodes.

25. vaneileana says:

Number 21. I really hope they do something about this soon. I think it would be a trip to see Danny and Riley go down that road. They are both so goofy.

26. Elaine says:

3) Red Viper — :( so very missed. Darn it, GRRM, couldn’t you have kept him around a little while longer. Loved how he would “stick it” to Cersei and Tywin verbally. That was so much fun to watch.
    5) Agree. Her hair wasn’t the greatest, but it really wasn’t bad at all. In order for the big laughs, they had to have come up with a bad haircut and this wasn’t one.
    11) Agree. Molly and Gus’s romance was so awkwardly sweet. I really enjoyed watching the two together. Hopefully flashbacks will fill in some of the gaps. (Love how he was always too shy to make himself clear so it was up to her to do the asking….directing…. and then you could tell how relieved he was that she was thinking the same thing he was too self conscious to ask. Too cute.)
    16) Absolutely. Followed up this week by Colbert’s Amazon comments. You go Mr. C; you go.
    Corporate giants stepping on everyone……. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Angela says:

Ooh, yeah, Colbert was great with the Amazon thing, too. I love that they found a way around that whole mess.

27. Jen says:

#15 #15 #15!!! I am absolutely loving Playing House!!

28. A says:

20) did we learn nothing from Gilmore Girls’ April? Shark jumped.

29. Angela says:

#6: Heh, yeah, lots of “blast from the past” moments there, huh?
    #16: I said this elsewhere, but I’ll say it here, too: John Oliver’s rant was a thing of beauty. I’m really loving his HBO show.

30. Ed says:

Thanks a lot for putting the Fargo spoiler in the headline where no one could possibly avoid it.

31. Alichat says:

2) I thought that was odd as well. At least there should have been a moment where she got an update from him while she was digging around for Dr Duncan’s red box.
    11) I would have liked to have seen at least one nervous, awkward date, but I have to admit that time jump was well done. I’m not usually surprised and that one caught me off guard.
    18) I’m glad they had that moment, and how it unfolded within the plot made sense. They paused to assess what direction they needed to go, and Finn sees the blood. Now, if they’d had some massive makeout session, then I’d say it was completely out of place. Are they really going to wipe out the parents for next season? I’d like to see some of them make it to the ground….and then have to take orders from the kids.

32. Mike says:

#22 – Wasn’t Sam “May Day” Malone’s office stage right just near the bar? And the bathroom was down the hall.

33. Babybop says:

21: It used to be cute that he was pining for her, but now I’m just sitting here going, “JUST TELL HER HOW YOU FEEL!” It’s like he thinks dating other women and pretending he never loved her will eventually win her heart. I’ve started to prefer her with Ben simply because he’s never shied away about his feelings for her.

23: Yes! I’m so happy other people remember those sketches beside me and my crazy family.

34. DarkDefender says:

#3 Game of Thrones does nothing halfway. Did not bother me nor did it seem gratuitous to show the entire scene. (R.I.P. Oberyn you were awesome) What I can’t believe is that the dynamic, charismatic Oberyn was also the boring, bland, vanilla Agent Pike that made Patrick Jane so jealous he had to declare himself to Lisbon before she left town.
    Which is Major Props to Pedro Pascal..

35. James says:

“Wonderfully inspired”? …?

36. bj says:

1. I only watched as I like to give the pilots at least a cursory look. This one surprised me. It’s actually good. I’m still watching.

19. Yes, but had he taken his shirt off I would have appreciated it even more.

37. DavidSask says:

The 100 adults in space is worst part of the show so either bring them to earth or kill them all!!!

38. cjeffery7 says:

5 – right? like any of Hillary’s hair-dos have been nearly as good.
    15 – because we need a female equivalent term for “bromance.” because two women being BFFs is not something that is inherently sexy/lesbian-ish. it’s just two gals who happen to be soul mates, and who happen to want to bone dudes (akin to Meredith & Cristina on Grey’s Anatomy, but MUCH less dramatic).
    21 – NEWSFLASH – the good guys don’t have to finish last, especially when they’re portrayed in such a endearingly gentlemanly fashion as Derek Theler does.

39. cjeffery7 says:

15 – honestly, I would watch Jess St. Clair & Lennon Parham be BFFs no matter what their character names are or what channel they’re on. i would champion Emma & Maggie to the ends of the earth in the same way I champion Tine & Amy, and Grace, Mamrie & Hannah (holler for the Holy Trinity anybody?). i absolutely cannot get enough of the 150% accurate portrayal of female friendship that they put on screen (and i’m actually kind of jealous that they are so comfortable w/ one another). there is literally nothing else like it on TV right now. and for that representation i am grateful.

40. LaPiquante says:

I love that Stephen Amell and the Arrow people openly show how hard he works. The stunt video preview-things, and this, on the parkour course? RESPECT. I remember the posters for this show before it aired, and it was all about greased-up abs and scars and things. I am so glad the show has become so much more–and still takes the time for greased up abs and scars and things.

41. Ram510 says:

#9 Harry’s reaction looked very believable in that scene. I was a little shocked but figured that this is the start of another good season.

#15 Playing House has become a decent show, but it didn’t start that way. Those first couple episodes turned me off and I didn’t think I was going to watch anymore. Plus the title doesn’t do the show any favors either, makes you think your going to watch something more like Faking It. And if anyone saw Best Friends Forever you may not have been in a rush to tune into this one

42. lonestarjrs says:

It should be illegal for Dan Egan #Veep to walk around in that beard. He was smokin
    Orphan black :the final scene in the car made me fall out of bed laughing

43. Brendan says:

#22 Because they have lots of scenes in the bar and in the office and going up and down stairs every single cut scene would be annoying. Besides, Justin would be single if the office and bar weren’t so close. So yea there are TWO reasons. easy movements between scenes and for eavesdropping plot lines.

44. Viv says:

18. Hell yeah, I woud be disappointed! I like the adults up there much more than these kids… (old Lost feelings, I assume….)

45. Joe says: