Modern Family Season Finale Recap: Cam and Mitch Finally Get Hitched

ERIC STONESTREET, JESSE TYLER FERGUSON, JULIE BOWENThough it takes four tries, Cam and Mitch become legal spouses at last during Wednesday’s Modern Family season finale — and here’s how it all goes down (the aisle).

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

• The day’s problems begin when the encroaching wildfire caused Mitch, Cam and their guests to quickly relocate — via school bus — to a venue that miraculously opened up in time. But when Sal’s water broke, causing her stymied new guy to escort her to the hospital, the guys were without an officiant… until Phil, who’d secretly gotten ordained online, stepped up to take her place.

• After hearing Haley describe Andy’s situation with his less-than-loving girlfriend, Alex realizes that her sister has feelings for the manny. Though she denies any emotional attachement, Haley stops by the coffee shop where he’s still waiting for a delayed flight and lets him know that he deserves better. He later calls to see if she meant that he deserved her, and off a warning from Alex not to toy with Andy’s heart, Haley says she merely meant that he should be happy with whomever he chooses. So Andy, who unbeknownst to Haley is outside in a cab, drives off instead. (Sad face!)

• Back at the new venue, all is well until the couple that originally reserved the hall reunites and demands use of the space they paid for. So the entire shebang moves to Cam and Mitch’s place, where the guests are crammed into every nook and everything is so threadbare that the guys decide to call it all off. But just as they’re about to announce to the crowd that the day is kaput, Jay — whom Mitchell had thought was staging a passive-aggressive protest to the proceedings — steps up to save it all: He’s arranged for a lovely ceremony at his golf club.

• Jay walks Mitchell down the aisle, touching his son, and Cam’s folks do the same. So with Phil presiding, the two are married. Kisses, tears, joy!

What did you think of the finale? Did you enjoy the Luke-and-Manny-as-a-married-couple side plot? Was the wedding everything you’d hoped? Grade the episode via the poll below, then elaborate in the comments!

1. charlie says:

Great episode! Kinda hope they do more with Haley and Andy next season though, digging that pairing so far.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

Great episode had me laughing and crying which is why I fell in love with this show in the first place this season had some ups and downs but this episode was the best! The Luke and Manny side stuff was hilarious!!! Was hoping Andy and Haley would get together but there is always next season :-)

3. Matt says:

I really was happy for Luke and Manny!

4. Doreen says:

Haley and Andy better continue next season…. They teased that couple too much to just let it slip away like that.

• alistaircrane says:

Because they’re not supposed to be a couple. Hayley belongs with Dylan.

• Nicole says:

Gee, allistaircrane, I can’t tell. Do you think Haley belongs with Dylan? (She doesn’t. She’s like Claire and will choose a Phil-like Andy.)

• alistaircrane says:

She does. Dylan is Hayley’s soulmate.

• David says:

Yeah but soulmates evolve and so do people. Andy and Haley would be good for each other and challenge each other in ways that Dylan and Haley never could. After the last episode with Dylan and Haley they had grown apart and have different goals now.

• alistaircrane says:

Soulmates don’t evolve. They belong with each other for life. That’s what makes them soulmates. You are obviously not a romantic.

• CountryQueen says:

Soulmates DO evolve. I’ve been with mine for 26 years, and we have both evolved to be more in love than ever. Dylan doesn’t belong with Haley. He didn’t bring out the best in her at all. He just brought out her selfish narcissism. Now Andy, he will bring the best out in her (which we have seen this season, and we really saw in this epi). Haley realizing that Beth is her had quite an impact on her. An impact that means she has grown up, and unless they bring Dylan in and show he has also had growth, there is no way that she will end up with him. And, unless he’s changed drastically, she should NOT end up with him. He is not good for her. Andy, with his bright outlook on life, and his willingness to call her out on her crap, will be very good for her.

• Rocky says:

I must agree with CountryQueen I think Andy is the best choice for her, he is a lot more grown up then Dylan is.

5. msbrewski says:

As a big sister, I really loved Claire’s speech

6. Ali says:

Really, really hope that the Hayley/Andy storyline continues next season! They’re too cute.

7. alistaircrane says:

The absence of Dede in this and last week’s episode was glaring. Would it have killed ABC to pick up the phone and call her for these wedding episodes? Her very first episode of Modern Family is still their funniest episode EVER.

• alistaircrane says:

And by “her”, I mean Shelley Long, obvi.

• Michael says:

I like the fact that she wasn’t there. Dede has never really liked Cam and he gave it more of an impact when Jay called her and eventually saved the day.

• CountryQueen says:

Ah, but if she would have been there we would not have had the phone call from Jay, which Cam’s parents overheard, and realized that no matter what Jay said, it did bother him that she wasn’t there. I too wondered why they couldn’t just bring Shelly in, but this was perfect. It’s actually the pin the turned a few things around.

8. alistaircrane says:

Loved the wedding, teared up. It’s been a long time coming for Cam and Mitch! Felt like five seasons finally paid off. Next season: new adoption? Although there is potential for hilarity if they hire a surrogate….

9. qj201 says:

I was hoping the epilogue would be Alex’s “Luke and Manny’s Wedding” video

10. Tom Charles says:

I haven’t seen it yet, but why sad face that Andy drove off in a cab? Did he drive off to Haley? If so I can understand, but if he goes AWAY from Haley, why is that sad? That’s a good thing/ They really need to stop trying to make Haley and Andy happen

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. Hayley belongs with Dylan. Andy is a great “manny”, but he should not be with Hayley.

• Hmm says:

Are you capable of saying anything else on this topic? Just curious.

• ken1313 says:

seriously……alistaircrane has made the exact same comment on every message that even MENTIONS Haley and Andy. Here’s the fact…..Haley will end up with Andy…..otherwise..they never would have had those scenes on the season finale. Haley has a crush on him…..and it’s not one of her usual crushes, as she took the time to explain to her sister. That is setting the groundwork for their future relationship…..it’s another Ross/Rachel type deal where they are not gonna get together right away because neither of them will admit their feelings to each other….but it is gonna happen. The pair has good chemistry. Dylan is a funny character……but he’s a dumbass……and Haley is at times too…why pair up 2 dumbasses? Andy is hilarious……

• Good Lord alistaircrane, I agree with you , but you’re making “our side” look bad by just posting the same thing over and over in the same article.

11. Jack J. says:

alistaircrane needs to get out more. Jesus.

12. thatdude says:

Season 5 came to a wondeful end from the crisis that formed at the beginning to Phil doing his thing to Manny and Luke to mitch and Jay..and Lily ending the show in her usual way…bring on s6

13. thatdude says:

Wonderful..and ps Dylan can happen later but Andy can be there for a while

14. taran63 says:

Alistaircrane, I summon you!
    “Haley and Andy would be a good couple”.
    And now we wait…

15. TaMara says:

Ok, you guys are all funny. Re: Haley and Andy ;-)

This was by far one of my favorite episodes and one of the best tv weddings, Bones coming in a close second (I can be a duck!).

16. Marianna says:

I love the episode! All I have to say is… Why didnt HANDY (Haley + Andy) happen?!?!?!

alistaircrane BRING IT ON!

• speedy says:

I think the possibilities for comedy are endless with HANDY (Is that their legitimate ship name?). And the depth they could bring to that couple. I never thought I’d be shipping on Modern Family, but as much as I love Dylan, I think Andy/Haley just have so much more potential for the long term. Dylan/Haley are too much alike.

• alistaircrane says:

They didn’t happen because Hayley belongs with Dylan.

I WIN! :-D

• CountryQueen says:

Handy should NEVER happen! Gah. Stupid shipper names need to GO AWAY!!!1

17. Amanda says:

This is such a great ensemble cast with fantastic writing. Loved how the wedding ultimately happened with Jay walking him down the aisle *sniff*. Pepper is absolutely hysterical. I love Nathan Lane. But I was bummed that Haley and the manny guy didn’t connect since it would be fun to see her in a relationship with someone else for a change, especially someone so different from Dylan. But Alex is kind of right – Haley might break his heart and he just got dumped so….Maybe next season.

18. Para says:

This episode has severe pacing problems.

19. I liked the fact that the music Mitch and Cam walk down the aisle too is Edward Maya and Magnetic Zeroes “Home”, via the untet (wasn’t there really just one guy from the quartet left at that point?). And yes, even though it was something you could see from a mile coming, Jay asking Mitch to “take a walk” was probably one of those moments that make you realize what makes “Modern Family” a great show. When it wants to click, it just does. The episode was full of way too many hijinks, but the final moments were near flawless. Be it Jay walking Mitch down the aisle, Phil realizing the greatest depiction of marriage’s magic is embodied in his wife, Claire’s best PERSON toast being the voiceover (leading to the typical sort of joke you find in such things)… it just works.

20. Mike says:

Sorry, but no one on this show feels as if he/she belongs with his partner. There is zero chemistry between any couple on this show. It feels as if they were put together as representative types, not real people or characters.

21. alex says:

HANDY!!! I love them because uts like phil and claire in their younger days cant wait to see where it goes. And that was a very beautiful wedding with no cliffhangers exept for the haley plot
    I love that andy is a dork dylan eh he was ok but i like andy more ( escapes before allistercraine attacks me with a pitchfork)

22. Knight Racer says:

Loved tonight’s season finale. I’m glad Jay got over his insecure feelings on how to act as a guy dad and feel more about how happy he is for his son. Hailey and Andy are Clair and Phil the early life so I do want to see that flourish more in the next season. Dylan was a phase in Hailey’s past. By choosing Andy it shows how much she’s matured in 5 years of growing up.

23. David says:

I love this show! And episides like this are why it’s the best sitcom on tv. My biggest criticism from this season is how the issues between Jay and Mitchell seemed forced. Jay has evolved quite a bit over the series and I don’t think the fight was realistic. I see how he is still trying to figure things out but it just seemed out of character and seemed like they were just trying to create an issue.

24. Pat says:

I absolutely, loved it! We all knew that Jay would come around and also be the one to safe the wedding. I laughed and teared up during the ceremony and yes Jay walking Mitchell down the aisle, did me in. All of the Luke and Manny scenes were hysterical. So Thank You Modern Family for an enjoyable wedding.

25. Marianna says:

I can’t believe i coined the ship name HANDY – or so I thought I did – and now people are using it!

26. RUCookie says:

I absolutely love the episode. Just a quick nit-pick on the write up – they tried to stay that the forest site for a quick ceremony where Sal’s water broke and just as Phil was going to step in the firefighter said get out now! Then they went to the almost-failed wedding setting of the runaway bride.

The whole thing was one disaster after another…and that made Jay stepping in to save the day even sweeter. We all knew he would do something, and just when he made sure the setting was perfect, he muttered the line “want to take a walk?” I cried. Thank goodness Gloria made me chuckle with her “Wait for me!” It was fantastic!

And the bromance between Luke and Mannie is beyond words adorable. They had me cracking up last night (as always). “Ever since that baby came…” priceless!

27. Rich Abey says:

Awesome wedding finale. It had everything that is good with Modern Family, be it the fast-paced scenes or the sudden switch to a slow-pace or the tear/wide-grin inducing happy/sappy moments like the ending scene where Mitch & Cam finally get married in a lovely setting.
    – Luke-and-Manny-as-a-married-couple were awesome. While Luke may not be the best all-round character on Modern Family, scenes been him & Manny are always hilarious cause the duo have great chemistry. My favorite scene of the episode, after the wedding at Jay’s golf club, was Luke’s comment to Manny: “Ever since that baby came..” Hilarious!
    – Here’s to more great moments on Modern Family, my favorite comedy on TV (alongside Parks & Rec)!

28. Dj says:

I like Haley and Andy as a couple. Dylan feels like a young Robbie Sullivan which isn’t a good thing. Andy is nice guy who makes Haley a better person so I do hope Handy happens next season.

29. PPti says:

I loved Haley and Andy plot…so sweet. Lovely episode!
    PS.Please…please Alistaircrane I get your point, dont say anything, or at least, say OTHER thing.

30. Mikael says:

Can shipper names just go away, please?? That being said, I feel like the Dylan humor has run its course and it would just be more of the same. With Andy, there is plenty of potential for hilarity, at least for a while. I also have to say that Pepper was funnier than ever in this 2-part episode! I loved the cameo from Elizabeth Banks. I wish they’d bring her in more.

31. June says:

I loved Nathan Lane. Wish he was in more scenes. Also, Thank you Taneem for helping with the name of that song! Home. I was searching for days!

32. Sarah says:

I loved the episode I can’t believe they finally got married! I’ve been waiting for this since like the first season!! I do ask for one thing though and that is to make Haley and Andy have a relationship. I think that they will make a very cute couple and it could make the show even more funny because Andy technically works for her family so it could cause some tension between him and jay. Can’t wait for next season!!

33. Tina says:

I would love to see more new episodes of modern family

34. Andy and Haley should’ve hooked up