Post Mortem: Orphan Black's Dylan Bruce on That Sex Scene, Paul 'Stalking' Sarah and More

Orphan Black Season 2 SpoilersIf you have yet to watch Saturday’s episode of Orphan Black, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Who needs a shower?

Saturday’s Orphan Black delivered a rather provocative sex scene when Rachel bossed around her new monitor Paul into a very close encounter.

The proclone ordered him to get two glasses of wine — which she didn’t let him enjoy! — grab a chair and strip. But that wasn’t even the kinkiest part because she then reached into his mouth!

Below, actor Dylan Bruce talks about the unusual moment — it wasn’t scripted — and what’s ahead for Paul’s relationships with Sarah and… Mrs. S?

RELATED | Orphan Black‘s Dylan Bruce on Paul’s Agenda, His Softness for Sarah and More

TVLINE | Let’s talk about that sex scene. Rachel reaches into your mouth, and I was like, “What is she doing?!” Was that part of the script?
It was an add. I think it was an add that Tatiana [Maslany] and the director, upon discussing the scene, came up with the idea that Rachel is so in charge and that she’s such a boss lady that it was almost like I was a derby horse that she’s inspecting to buy before the Kentucky Derby. She’s looking at my mouth, at my teeth, like you would do with a prize horse that you would buy and looking at my nether regions to see if it’s adequate. [Laughs] You buy a horse that Orphan Black Season 2 Spoilershas no imperfections, right? So she’s judging me and seeing if I’m worthy of a sexual encounter with her.  [Laughs] … She’s very powerful, but at the same time, she probably has all this suppressed emotion. That’s how she lets it out by being very odd sexually. Yeah, it was really weird. [Laughs] But I think that’s one of the most interesting parts of the scene and the coolest part.

TVLINE | I thought for a second she was going to pull something out!
[Laughs] Like I had a poison pill in my mouth? No, she was inspecting me to make sure that I was worthy of a sexual encounter with her, for sure. Isn’t that crazy? Never seen anything like that on television. It was very cool to be a part of it.

RELATED | Orphan Black Preview: Can Mrs. S Be Trusted?

TVLINE | This episode was definitely not shy about its sex scenes.
No, I know. Not at all. That’s a big part of Orphan Black. It’s very dark and gritty. There’s a lot of comedy, but at the same time, there’s a lot of sexuality in the show. That’s the beauty of it, that we can get on all those different cylinders.

TVLINE | Obviously, Paul is not Sarah’s favorite person right now because of what he did to Felix. How will the Paul/Sarah relationship be affected by that?
It might be past the point of return, right? The way I look at it is it’s a small compromise for Paul to make for the greater good. And it’s not like Fee hasn’t spent a few nights in a cell.  [Laughs] He can deal with it. He’s not happy that he had to do this, at all. I think deep down, he kind of likes Felix. He appreciates the bravado and Felix as a person. It is her brother. And Felix is probably No. 2 in Sarah’s life behind Kira. I’m sure there’ll be some repercussions to that. Maybe he’ll get pistol-whipped in the face again.

RELATED | Orphan Black‘s Michiel Huisman Talks Cal’s Past, Meeting Kira & What’s Next

TVLINE | The end of the episode suggests that Paul is going to be more in Sarah’s orbit. Will we see more interaction between them now?
I don’t know if it’s more of a face-to-face meeting. It’s more of a stalking relationship.  [Laughs] That definitely happens.

TVLINE | Is Paul glad that he gets a little time away from Rachel?
I think so. Maybe. I think that encounter with Rachel might have turned him off a little bit.  [Laughs] At the same time, why is Paul following Sarah? Is he really following Sarah for the Dyad? Or is he following her to protect her?

TVLINE | What can you tease about the Paul and Mrs. S confrontation glimpsed in the promo?
I can say that Paul knows who Mrs. S really is. Mrs. S has been a mysterious figure for a long time, and Paul’s known about this mysterious figure for a long time. Paul is now aware of who Mrs. S is. It’s definitely an enlightening moment for Paul in that brief interaction they have in his car. It’s cool. You almost see another allegiance form. Paul and Mrs. S start working in cahoots as well, which is a lot of fun because Maria Doyle Kennedy is fantastic. And I know the writers and producers really like the two of us in scenes together, which is great for me, too, ’cause I love being in scenes with her, as well.

Orphan Black fans, what did you think of Paul and Rachel’s steamy chair encounter? And feel free to sound off on the episode’s other big moments like Sarah’s heartfelt plea to sis Helena, the revelation that “Swan Man” Ethan Duncan is alive and the creepy, creepy Proletheans (OMG, they sewed up Gracie’s mouth!).

1. Kat says:

That was not a sex scene, that was a rape scene. Paul cannot freely consent in his relationship with Rachel. He has no choice. It is rape.

• Ron says:

Agreed. That was completely a rape scene, and I’m glad they did it. I know that may sound weird to say, but male rape is something under-explored and, quite frankly, not recognized as a real thing on television. Actually, male-as-rape-victim is not really recognized in the real world either. That’s why I’m glad this show did it–it brought some recognition to a subject not seen all that often. I only wish the show had more explicitly made it clear that Rachel was raping Paul, maybe like a verbalization or something. This show isn’t scared to take chances, and that’s one thing I really like about it.

• Kat says:

“I only wish the show had more explicitly made it clear that Rachel was raping Paul”
        That’s kind of my problem. They didn’t make it explicit. And hey, there’s certainly time for them to address it on screen still, but I have yet to see an actor, writer, or showrunner call it rape which doesn’t make me confident about them ever actually addressing it as such. If they don’t explicitly call it rape, then they’re just adding to the problem of acting like men can’t be raped. Because looking at the fandom reaction so far, I can tell you right now unless the masses are spoonfed that this is rape, they’re just going to keep making jokes about Paul being a bottom.

• Tav says:

Uh, and you’re not gonna get it (unfortunately). Practically everyone behind Game of Thrones was falling all over themselves to claim Cersei wasn’t raped (even though that rape was clear as day), so I doubt anyone involved with OB will admit as much in this situation.
          Way to keep reinforcing rape culture.

• abz says:

But I don’t think they could they explicitly state it in this episode. If we were in Sarah, Helena, and Art’s positions and we saw Rachel and Paul like that in that moment, it’s not abnormal to assume that they were just having sex. If Sarah and Paul were to discuss what she saw later on, then maybe he could explain his feelings and actions more to her.

• Rape of a male by a female is very difficult to prove. I’ve heard of legal situations where the fact that the man could perform was deemed to be consent. He was excited so obviously he wanted it. Speaking from my own experience terror tends to be rather deflating, but male anatomy is way more complicated than that and I’m sure some guys quite like that sort of thing.

• Eliza says:

As a former care worker, an erection is a physical reaction, not just an emotional one. One can get an erection by physical stimulation even thought the stimulation is unwanted, one can get an erection from nerves (teenagers doing a school presentation) and many other factors.
          An erection is not a sign of wanting it, verbal and enthusiastic consent in a situation where consent can freely be given is.

• Sheila says:

Yep, felt very rapey. Kinda makes the last article about the “steamy sex scene” seem creepy.

• Renz says:

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who thought that this was a rape scene.

• dude says:

I think calling it a rape scene is a little insulting to actual rape. It wasn’t quite that simple. I don’t think he enjoyed it or would have chosen to have sex with her but it wasn’t entirely against his will either. He seemed more resigned to it. I think it’s far more comparable to spies who sleep with their targets for information. His attitude seemed more, “do what you gotta go to survive.”

• Kat says:

“I don’t think he enjoyed it or would have chosen to have sex with her”
        Hi, congratulations, you found the definition of rape. Sex without consent is rape. Despite decades of the “no means no” campaign, that does not in fact cover it. As a society we have some pretty disgusting and distorted views about consent. Consent is the presence of an enthusiastic, un-coerced yes. Coercion does not have to be physical, it can be mental and emotional too and those are just as abusive. Rachel is blackmailing Paul, every order comes with the weight of “obey or I destroy your life”. You cannot freely consent under those circumstances. Please do not tell me that calling rape rape is insulting to actual rape, whatever that was supposed to mean. I am unfortunately quite familiar with what rape is.

• dude says:

Nope. You’re oversimplifying it which is sad because you obviously don’t have the mental capacity to appreciate the complexities of Orphan Black. The actual definition of rape is “any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.” This wasn’t against his will. Paul wasn’t physically forced to have sex with Rachel, he made that choice on his own. He didn’t enjoy it but guess what, bad sex doesn’t equal rape. He’s a strong, resourceful guy, he was fully capable of saying no and finding another means to survive, that’s what he does. He just knew that life would be easier for himself if he went through with it so he resigned himself to that choice. It wasn’t a great choice but it was his choice. You blame television but you’re the one who furthers rape culture by crying rape anytime something makes you uncomfortable. It cheapens the word and people’s response to it.

• What? says:

He didn’t have the ability to say no because they weren’t on equal ground to begin with. Rachel is a powerful executive with infinite resources at her disposal, the DYAD is already blackmailing Paul with his past actions in Afghanistan, and he knows he’s screwed if he steps out of line and will likely lose his life/spend the rest of it in a military prison.

He CANNOT refuse, Rachel essentially owns him. Just bc she doesn’t hold a gun to his head/physically force herself on him doesn’t mean it’s consensual sex.

• qj201 says:

It’s not a rape scene. Paul never said no and never indicated resistance. Coercive yes, rape no. Was more domination & submission than anything.

• Suz says:

Agreed. By agreeing to be her monitor, he agrees to everything she asks of him.
        So….
        “Are you asking me if I am interested or reminding me I have no choice.”-Paul
        “It’s a promotion Paul. A very hamsome one if you have the stomach for it.”-Rachel

• Mary says:

I agree. It’s definitely him being dominated by Rachel and it’s uncomfortable but I’m having a difficult time seeing this as “rape.”

• dude says:

We’re also assuming a lot about his mental state. The people crying rape are assuming that Paul wants nothing to do with Dyad and that he is in fact on Sarah’s side when they purposely made his intentions ambiguous. We don’t know that Paul wasn’t using this to his advantage to get closer to Rachel be it for opportunist means or to play her.

• Nicotine says:

IT WAS NOT RAPE!!!

Paul had the ability to speak at all times and not once did he say “No” or “Stop” or try to remove himself from the situation. Coercion? Maybe. But rape? No.

2. Ian says:

i agree. At the beginning I was just trying to enjoy Dylan’s body, but by the end I was watching the whole thing through my fingers. I didnt think it was rape exactly though. Paul could have stopped it at any point. He was freely submitting the whole time, but not out of pleasure at all. He’s got to stay on Rachel’s good side.
    Loved the Sarah/Helena bonding scene though. I like Helen being a part of the family now. Kinda not sure how they’ve gotten over her killing the woman that carrid them though.
    And lastly, it was cool Felix got some action, lol.

• mquincy says:

Yea on the continuum of sexual aggression I wouldn’t say it was rape, but definitly sexual coercion which is still uncomfortable to watch and I hope is addressed by the show.

• Ian says:

Yeah, i mean, i know the monitor/clone relationships on the show usually include sex, but in this case Pauk isnt having to pretend to be Rachel’s boyfriend to monitor her. She’s completely self-aware. Its just his job to protect her and report on her to Leekie. For the moment, i guess he just figures its not worth the disadvantage having her know he’s not totally under her control just to get out of having sex with her. Its a complicated situation.

• alistaircrane says:

Felix did not get any action! It was totally interrupted.

• abz says:

Seeing that scene, my mind didn’t instantly jump to “Oh Rachel is raping Paul”. The man is huge and I think that if he absolutely didn’t want to do it (regardless of what she/Leeky have on him) like you said, he could have left, I don’t knowm it definitely is complicated maybe because situations like this are rarely seen on TV. It was awkward to watch, and it was definitely some sort of sexual coercion, but I don’t know if “rape” is the accurate word for the scene.

3. alistaircrane says:

That scene really upset me. Paul is a scumbag.

4. Alichat says:

Not sure how I feel about Paul right now. He could have let Felix know Rachel ordered him to do this….and that he’d get Felix cleared at some point. They must have some serious information on his Afghanistan incident. On another note, I really want to know why Cal has fake ids and a hidden compartment. Sumthin’s up!

• Cheri says:

My thoughts too about Cal. Why have fake IDs. Kira is intuitive about people, why is she not questioning Cal, her daddy? Rachel knows something about Cal. This episode had some very controversial content.
      I was glad that Helena and Sarah bonded in a way. They need to have an allegiance. With, The cop. Once they get Fee out of jail, they need to seek out about the cult who took Helena’s egg took make a fetus.
      And the promo, Paul and Mrs S know each. I love how this show spoon feeds small bits of info to us. Also, how Leekie went against Rachel’s order and gave Cosima the start of her treatment. Leekie and Paul are not as loyal to Rachel as we thought.

• Alichat's says:

I’d really like to know why Rachel is soooo pro-Dyad. Why is she so eager to fulfill their agenda…..be treated like a lab rat…..torture her fellow clones? What’s made her so twisted and cold? Also that Leekie agreed to treat Cosima makes me equal parts happy and suspicious.

• Louis E. says:

I expect that the parents she loved brought her up under the Dyad umbrella,and when they “died” loyalty to Dyad was what she had left.

5. abz says:

Can I just say how weirdly excited I get every time the “Helena music” plays? (I know this doesn’t have to do with the interview, but just felt like saying it).

6. Lysh says:

That scene was not sexy. It was super awkward and creepy. And Rachel’s faces were like, surprise that she had power and that this was happening. I wanted it to stop with Helena taking Rachel out, but then that great Sarah/Helena scene happened with Art’s hilarious reaction.

7. Babygate says:

I’m going to skip anything related to Paul because I’ve never been invested in his character. Besides the weird, cringe-worthy sex scene, this has to be my favorite episode thus far. It still amazes me that when I look at the different clones I dont see the same actor playing all of them. They are so unique and Tatiana is such a master at playing them that I can perceive them as completely separate entities. My favorite though is Helena. Love that she’s so dark and yet be so funny. The entire sequence at Hal’s apartment was hilarious to watch. I was only disappointed that we didn’t get to see her riding the motorcycle. And the scene where Sarah stopped Helena from killing Rachel was just freaking amazing. All of it. From a photography perspective, the scene when Cosima was getting the treatment was amazingly beautiful and touching. It was such a soft and tender moment in the midst of all the craziness and violence. The camera angles, the speed, the close ups, were all superb.

• Cory says:

Could not agree more about Tatiana. During the cold open I kept thinking how much Ibhaiated Rachel and wish she was off the show. It wasn’t even until the credits I totally remembered to acknowledge mentally Rachel is Sarah is Helena is Cosima etc because the acting is just too freakin great. I think it’s the body language and little nuances she somehow never forgets about, during the moments I’m totally caught up in the story the clones are such different people it’s shockingly easy to forget they are all one girl. I only caught up immediately before season two started to my amazement hasn’t had time to decrease much haha

• Katie_Mead says:

I don’t know that your amazement ever will decrease! It is not only that you instantly know which clone is on-screen, and never confuse them, the fact that you also know within a few seconds when you’re seeing one clone pretending to be another (Alison as Sarah, Sarah as Cosima etc), and again never get confused about who is whom, makes Tatiana Maslany one of the finest actors I have ever seen.

• Nit Picker Jr says:

Thanks for saying exactly what I was going to say. You just spared the community from another long-winded, ill-conceived, bafoonery from me. ;) Sarah and Helena’s scenes together are sooo good. And the scene with Cosima getting the shot from Leeke was just visual poetry. Feels like this little show is just getting better and better…

8. Kat says:

As a departure from my comments about the rape scene, I do want to say I enjoyed literally every other aspect of this episode enormously. And I’m pleased to hear we’re apparently in for a lot of Paul/Mrs S, because I like both of them and if he’s involved with someone other than Rachel/Leekie maybe we’ll get to see some of the Paul from last season, who risked his life to help Sarah.

9. OBfan says:

That scene may have been a big creepy, yes; but I don’t think Paul was completely opposed to the idea of being with Rachel. There was a point at which he kind of tried to guide her backward toward the bed, and seemed to lunge toward her, as if to try and kiss her…

10. Saskia says:

I reckon Paul has been working as a double agent for Mrs S’s people the whole time – maybe in the next episode he finds out who she really is, rather than her being a shadowy figure in his world. So then there’d be three groups rather than just two. Also, what if Rachel was the one who set fire to that lab?

11. christine says:

It wasn’t rape. I think part of him was intrigued and repelled at the same time but he was definitely not forced. He may have not gone with the program if it didnt suit this ultimate agenda which Dylan Bruce has alluded to. You have to look at it in context. It was weird and kinky but some people enjoy submissive/domination.

12. Cate53 says:

Do we trust Leekie now?? I am a bit suspicious of what treatment he is giving Cosima. He is a scientist, so maybe Rachel telling him to pull his experiment just because she wants Sarah might be enough to make him rebel and genuinely help Cosima and Delphine, but he was pretty quick to set Paul on following Sarah.

I missed Alison this week! Her brand of,crazy brings much needed humour to the show, but I guess she needs to go through some rehab treatment before we see her again.

As for Paul and Rachel, I don’t think you can call that a rape scene, but a woman exerting sexual power over a subordinate, treating him like a sex object. He wasn’t unwilling, just all the control was with Rachel. Tatiana rocked the sexy lingerie!!

• Anne says:

I don’t know. I got the feeling that Leekie’s sorts of sees the clones as his kids, and ultimately wants to nurture them and care for them. As such, I don’t think his helping Cosima has to do with wanting to go against Rachel at all. Either way, I guess we will find out eventually.

13. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

That scene was hard to watch……..DAMN I wanted Helena to shoot that Rachel bitch!

14. Nit Picker Jr says:

a) It’s not rape. Paul never says “no”, either with words or gestures or body language or any of the means of communication we have at our disposal. He grabs at her derriere for crap’s sake (among other things)! He might not enjoy the situation as such since it’s coercive in nature (she’s boss – he feels he has no choice but to play along), but it’s not rape. “Male rape”, e.g men being raped, is a topic that needs spotlighting, definitely – but this isn’t it.

b) The scene itself, I didn’t find terribly provocative. Perhaps by teevee standards, but other than that (and teevee standards isn’t really a good yardstick, generally), not very eye-twitching. What it is, it’s very much in character. Rachel is an upscale, uptight, coldhearted, bosslady. Makes sense she’ll go over the top in sexual domination. Paul wants to keep breathing, and probably keep his job. Makes sense he’ll subject himself to Rachel’s actions rather than tuck and roll. Characters affirmed by scene – mission accomplished.

Also I really enjoyed the farmhouse scenes this week. Feels like they’ve hit on a visual tone for those that is truly interesting and spot on for those crazy Prolethe…whatever. Can we nominate crew for Performer of the Week? Yes? OB’s cinematography, make-up, and wardrobe then. They keep upping their game week by week, it seems.

Also, Felix needs to get himself a new bedmate (couchmate?) – that morgue guy only brings trouble, every time…

Is it next week yet?

15. all i can say is that Tatiana Maslany deserves serious recognition for her work. she is fantastic in all the roles she plays

16. Luli says:

I need more Cloneclub interaction!

17. I didn’t think of the scene as rape although I can see the validity in that interpretation. I did think of it as sexual harassment. But Paul never showed resistance and his judgment wasn’t impaired by drugs, alcohol or anything else that would’ve made consent impossible to give. It was ugly, unhealthy, BDSM-tinged sex under bad conditions but that doesn’t make it rape.