Chicago Fire Finale Recap: Casey Pops the Question -- But Did Dawson Accept?

Chicago Fire Season 2 RecapRomance was in the air during Chicago Fire‘s Season 2 finale on Tuesday, as several couples took big steps in their relationships — yet it was all overshadowed by a “Is it fall yet?!” cliffhanger.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Dawson catches on to Casey’s plans to propose after he asks her to answer his phone (bad move, dude!) and she finds out “the ring is ready.” He still manages to catch her by surprise with what seemed to be an impromptu proposal at Boden and Donna’s firehouse-set wedding. Moved by all the couple at the affair, he gets down on bended knee.

“I’m a lucky man to have you in my life. And I want to make sure we’re together forever,” he says to Dawson. Then a call comes in and everyone is summoned to duty. Casey tells Dawson not to answer. What?! Are you crazy, Casey? It’ll only take a second. At least her smile as relays the news to Shay seems to imply she was going to say yes. If only she actually had.

The call turns into a worst case scenario when no one answers Boden over the radio. Panic starts to rise in his voice. His whole team — truck, rescue, paramedics — is in the burning building as it explodes. Oh crap. So almost every character’s life is up in the air. We’re going to need to a lot of May Sweeps Scorecard slots.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere in the finale:

* Gabby passes her firefighter test and gets assigned to the firehouse full of sexist pigs. Casey manages to get her a spot somewhere else, but she wants to be treated like every other candidate — the jerks are “not going to break me,” she assures her boyfriend — so he rips up the transfer request.

Chicago Fire Season 2 Recap* Severide has an emotional crisis when a barely alive, badly burned boy is discovered in a room that he sweeped earlier. He takes out his feelings on Devon, exploding at her and telling her to get out of Shay’s life. Then he goes to see Lindsay and finally opens up about what’s going on. Severide is showing emotional growth and is in a healthy relationship!

* Best man Hermann manages to pull off a sweet bait-and-switch when his promise to get a church for Boden and Donna’s wedding doesn’t work out. Instead, they have the ceremony and party at the firehouse with all their friends and colleagues. And hey, it creates a meet-cute opportunity for Chicago P.D.‘s Trudy and Mouch!

* Mills asks Newhouse to look into his father’s side of the family.

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the explosive season ender? Who’s on your Don’t You Dare Kill Them list? Head to the comments with your thoughts and grade the episode below.

1. westwingwolf says:

My thought was an entire line could just be Firehouse 51 except for Boden. Does it count as an interrupted wedding if the ceremony took place but the reception was interrupted?

2. This is a cliffhanger worthy of the ‘ Who shot JR” days of real cliffhangers!

TV shows shouldn’t be all wrapped up in a pretty bow at the end of every season… unless it’s a series finale & not just the season finale.

• Michael Barkley says:

The seasons shouldnt be able to end on a cliffhanger if it is in jepordy of being cancelled. Chicago fire doesnt have to worry about that. But i have watched far to many shows end on a cliffhanger and get cancelled and then we are stuck wandering about characters whether they lived or died.

3. CC says:

Casey is crazy – Dawson had time to say yes! NBC better keep them together; this show has an amazing ensemble and great storytelling technique. It’s established its footing, there’s no need to rely on will-they-won’t-they anymore. As for who must live – I love them all!!!

• jamie says:

I agree with everything you said. Although we got a little in site on Dawson’s answer, she needed to say yes, but the writers make us worry about that as well as will everyone survive. Casey and Dawson have a great dynamic that only adds to the show so hopefully the writers don’t destroy them.

4. Sean says:

A great finale. The ending was scary good, especially in those few eerie seconds before the building exploded.

5. Robin says:

I just knew something bad was going to go down. I kind of thought the building was going to collapse though. Gah! I’m going dealing well with this cliffhanger!!! This summer hiatus always ends up being sooo long! :(

6. wrstlgirl says:

A glaring omission from this episode….no mention of Antonio being shot last week on CPD. That’s very weird to me. He’s Gaby’s brother and there very close. Just odd especially since other characters from PD made an appearance.

• I was thinking that maybe they were happening at similar times? Maybe the shooting hadn’t happened yet? But it was odd.

• westwingwolf says:

I too wondered why nothing had come up yet, but when Erin showed up and was calm, I assumed it hadn’t happened yet. Maybe the fire and the shooting happened on the same day, so if Antonio survives he’ll learn his sister is in danger.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah that would be the easy explanation but it was very weird.

• Bwhit says:

I watched some YouTube videos with cast interviews and several of them said it was hard to be on the same time frame as PD because it started mid season. They said next season will be more consecutive but I agree given the fact they did one Chicago together. It’s going to be especially weird considering gabby is going to have to be made aware somehow or that would be super annoying.

• Sara says:

I feel like the episodes have a slight timing difference. In the Chicago PD episode, there was snow on the ground, here the weather was quite nice. Sooo, since he asked Antonio if he could marry Dawson while the weather was nice, that must mean that Antonio pulls through, right? ;-)

• Chloe says:

I was thinking the same thing. They need to coordinate the 2 shows a little better next season. At least Antonio wasn’t walking around in the episode tonight & then lying on the pavement again tomorrow night. That would have really been strange. LOL

• Elyse says:

I was thinking the same thing while watching but then I remembered that ChiPD has a few more episodes AND they would have had Gabby at the hospital with him I feel like. I don’t think they would have been able to justify her being there and not at the hospital with him. Plus they couldn’t have been like “oh yeah Antonios fine… WHEW” cause that would kill the suspense of tonights ChiPD. I thought it was a great finale!!

• Newo says:

that could explain it except for the fact that they JUST had that big terrorist crossover episode with the hospital explosion two weeks ago…

• Elyse says:

True but the timelines don’t have to perfectly sync up… at least not for me! I’m sure we wont hear a word about the big explosion on ChiPD either.

• Sara says:

Yeah, but that episode kind of felt kind of thrown in for ChiPD. I mean, it was smack in the middle of the episode revealing that had to deal with PoPo (I’m sure that is spelled wrong) and him actually coming back, yet there was absolutely no mention of that plot point. Given that, and the weather differences between the last episode of Chicago PD and Chicago Fire’s last couple of episodes, I think it is clear that there is a time difference.

• Lauren says:

this is my biggest issue with these shows. if they’re intent on continually crossing over the shows, they need to match up the timelines. there are two episodes of pd left that probably won’t address the cliffhanger at all. i know they ordered two extra eps of pd and pd wrapped filming before fire which probably worsened the problem but even earlier in the season things didn’t match up quite right and i find it distracting. i think the crossovers are better left to big events like the two parter but from the upfront info that has come out it seems like they plan on incorporating even more of the small “let’s throw them in for a scene” stuff. those scenes are fine when it makes sense for the characters to be there but sometimes it feels like they create scenes for the crossover opportunities rather than crossing characters over because it’s the best, most organic choice for the story they are telling (also let’s mix up the characters..too much kelly/erin). i know the writers think it makes the shows unique but i think it takes too much time away from developing the characters and relationships within each respective show. fire had it’s whole first season to do so but pd with its shorter season and overall faster pace already has less time to work with. i think the shows have the audience to stand on their own and having to watch both to fully know whats going on with the characters on each show could actually hurt more than help each show. i really enjoy both shows and i think that they will get better at this overtime..let’s just hope they choose quality over quantity with these crossovers and allow both shows to develop independently.

• Acutally the finale was filmed before the episode of pd where Antonio got shot was/planned. So kind of makes sense.

7. Bwhit says:

All of them but Boden?!?!?!? It’s going to be one loooonnnngggg summer. I just hope they can break the mold of make up and break up with Matt and Gabby and have her say yes. She looked pretty damn happy about it and really no one gets her and supports her like Casey. I also think it would be nice for him to finally get the family he has always desired. Season two knocked it out of the park in every way, stellar cast and awesome story telling.

8. FSN Global 's Rick Fox says:

Reblogged this on Global News Now.

9. wrstlgirl says:

PD still has a couple eps to go. Antonio will be healed by then and maybe their finale will end with them hearing about the explosion. That would tie it all together maybe.

• Bwhit says:

That’s what I thought maybe. I love this show so I read all the articles on it and the head writer said that Voight needed Casey’s help for something so they put their differences aside. Maybe that part got cut somewhere. Plus when Casey asked Antonio for his permission he had a lot of facial hair and then the next PD he was clean shaven. I don’t know I just hope they make it more realistic next year if they are going to do crossovers.

10. Amanda says:

I’m calling it, Bolden is Mills father…..

11. Noel says:

All the cast better be back next season or I will very upset. I love this show and the cast. Dawson and Casey better get engaged and married. September is so far off. This sucks to have to wait.

12. Diz says:

I thought the finale was great. Casey is my least favorite character so if he bites the bullet I’m fine with that.

13. forwarddad says:

Hate that Devin is back.

• Chloe says:

Me, too. And she’s so arrogant & obnoxious. Severide had every right to chew her out. Whatever her family problems are, she’s a thief. She acts as though it’s ok to steal just because you need to go see an ailing relative.

• M3rc Nate says:

100%…even if he wasnt in a bad mood, even if he had forgiven her he should have chewed her out…its HER attitude and lack of respect of staying in someone elses house, eating/drinking their food/beverage without asking or replacing…

14. It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before finish I am reading this enormous paragraph
    to increase my know-how.

15. M3rc Nate says:

I gotta say that was a truly FANTASTIC finale. I was expecting the explosion to happen as Dawson and Shay are outside so they freak out about a explosion with the men they love inside…but its even crazier that EVERYONE is inside except the commander. Consider my very intrigued to see what happens in regards to whos hurt, who isnt, and maybe even a death or two (would be a big twist especially for a season premier).

The only criticisms: 1) Dawson totally had time to say yes/no, and i cant imagine anyone with those type of jobs where going on a call/patrol/etc can be the very last thing you do, would put it off.

2) I could be wrong but considering they setup her not saying yes, im inclined to think its Casey that is majorly hurt and in the hospital un-responsive and she is devastated and so angry with herself for leaving his proposal hanging.

3) WTF happened to Casey’s “if you hit your head one more time…you could die” or w/e. I mean he totally hit his head against the pavement when the hospital exploded a few episodes ago (let alone the brain gets jostled and bounces around in the skull that close to a explosion) and now he is INSIDE of a building that has a HUUUUGE explosion, and even if he isnt thrown against a wall or falls to the ground or something…no way his brain doesnt bounce around inside his skull from that explosion…

• Elyse says:

I definitely agree with #2! you’ve gotta be right about that one and #3 that is weird how they just sidelined Caseys head issues! still a great finale.

• Beth says:

I’ve noticed this show will sideline something and bring the issue back around in a big way. Like Mills now looking into his dad again. I believe one of two things will happen either Casey will hurt his head again and Dawson will stay at 51 because she will realize she wants to stay a paramedic and at the house while he heals instead of the stress of being a candidate. Or Shay will be hurt and she stays to be the PIC and realizes that is her calling. I don’t see her staying away from 51 forever.

• wrstlgirl says:

Sadly my prediction for Dawson next season will be her struggling at the new firehouse and whining incessantly about it. I hope I’m wrong but that seems to be where it’s going. She may be back at 51 eventually but I can’t believe they went through all this “I wanna be a firefighter” nonsense for her to just bail on it. Maybe if Casey is hurt and cannot work she will take his spot. That would really put a strain on their relationship.

• Beth says:

It’s funny because my husband is a fire fighter and he watches is with me and keeps saying why don’t they just put her another shift? Drama I guess. I personally think her time as a firefighter will be short lived because the show won’t introduce a whole new cast just to keep that going. Or she will go to the hospital and get checked out after the explosion and they will tell her she prego and Casey will be hurt……. So many possibilities but her whining needs to go down by about 50%. :)

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, those are great possibilities. I’m glad I’m not the only one sick of her whining. I used to really like Dawson but this season she’s just been so annoying. She’s all about me me me.

• trvally1 says:

I agree about her whining!! I have been a Casey and Dawson fan since the start of the show. But after she finally got him all she does is whine. To me, she only wants to be a firefighter to prove a point that she can do the job. Ever since the show started the only thing that she has ever talked about was wanting to be a doctor. She was mad at Casey because he wasn’t jumping up and down about her being a firefighter. If she doesn’t get her way, or if people do not support her they way she wants to be supported she gets an attitude. The writers need to change the tone of her character, because she is really turning me off of supporting her.

• Beth says:

Another thing I hope they recap more episodes next year so us fans have a chance to discuss our fav show:)

• JMill says:

“could die” doesn’t mean ‘will die’, so I guess we can take it that in that case he got lucky. I’d guess though that if he’s injured in the explosion it will come out he’s been play Russian roulette with his head injury. His doing that, and keeping it secret from Dawson, could just turn her very apparent postponed ‘yes’ into her needing to rethink their relationship based on a lack of trust on Casey’s part.

16. Britt says:

I loved the part when Boden and Hermann were arguing all the way to the firehouse! I hope no one in the cast dies. I love them all and hope they don’t get killed off. The last few minutes were scary. I was waiting for the building to explode, but they really dragged it out and made it freakishly scary. Great finale and I hate that we have to wait until the Fall.

17. Sharon says:

fantastic submit, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector don’t realize this.
    You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!

18. Joseph hill says:

I hope they don’t kill off any body but this episode has me hanging by my finger nails is it Fall yet so we can know what going on

19. Teresa says:

OMG this finale was absolutely fantastic. All the regulars must come back. Save firehouse 51.

20. wordsmith says:

I totally did not see the Mouch-and-Sgt. Platt thing coming, but it is PERFECT. Well played, writers, well played.

21. Elyse says:

that. was. crazy. i’m still in shock. i saw it coming when they went into the building but somehow I was still shocked! can’t wait for next season!

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I agree. I was sitting on the couch and yelled “kabooooommmm” cuz I saw it coming but I loved the way they dragged it out a bit for suspense. Loved the finale’ but I could care less about Casey and Dawson. So next season will be all about listening to her whining about how the guys pick on her and Casey being all protective of her and them arguing about it. Blah, Blah, Blah….the writing is on the wall for that story line. Here’s what I’ve noticed about those two. Casey is ALL about him and Dawson but Dawson is ALL about Dawson. It irritates the crap out of me :-)

• trvally1 says:

Yep she is going to complain. But she should keep her mouth shut, because Casey gave her a way out to go to a better fire house, and she opted not to. Again, the only reason that she is going to Austin, is to prove how tough she is. In the beginning I really wanted Casey and Dawson together, but she is getting on my nerves soooooo much, that I think that he could do better. She is never satisfied.

22. H.Houston says:

And entire firehouse…..
    If the show hadn’t already been picked up for next season I would be incredibly worried.
    Two things clued me in on what was coming: Donna’s words to Boden as the call came in, “Husband and Hero in the same day, I am okay with that” and the stillness of the building and scene when the entire house went into the building. It is a very good set up for Boden to be a HUGE hero and save his House.
    As for the timeline: I assumed based on how it played out that this all took place after Casey asked Antonio if he could marry Gabby but before Antonio was shot. They will most likely end up at the hospital together.
    I am a late comer to this show. I actually began watching it because of Chicago PD. I am glad I did.

23. casey says:

I’m so glad me and my girlfriend hot to watch it with me and we haven’t missed a episode

24. Jem says:

Any news on the actors’ contracts?

25. Hmm says:

I yelled so loud my neighbors thought I was being murdered. This show never disappoints me. NEVER. And that is quite an accomplishment because I am constantly disappointed by TV shows. I swear to GOD if anyone dies in that explosion, my heart will just crumble.

I’m wondering if this explosion might sideline Dawson from being able to BE a firefighter. I just don’t understand how they are going to keep the show focused and her in any kind of light if 51 is the main stage and she won’t be there. Something must go down because I honestly cannot see Dawson leaving 51. Unless MR is leaving the show.

Really curious to see where they are going with Mills’ family history. Something is up there; he’s going to uncover some sort of skeleton no doubt.

Hope that Devon will not be a big part of next season. I’m really not into her arc. I will say however that the scene between her and Severide was incredible and I was clapping so hard my hands hurt. Cannot believe she had the audacity to sass him after she robbed him blind.

I didn’t like that Casey proposed to Dawson at Boden’s wedding. I wish he would’ve waited until a different point in time to do so. Too much was going on and it didn’t feel appropriate. Then again it was a plot point to maximize the effect of the building explosion so be it.

26. SeanP says:

I liked the finale. The writers kinda’ dropped the ball on the whole forcing Dawson to transfer to another house. Normally, all you’d have to do is switch her to a different shift than Casey. Firefighters don’t live and work at their firehouse 24/7, 365. As for the cliffhanger, I’m thinking that there is some kind of noxious gas or chemical at play. Notice how everyone entered the building without having their masks on, followed by radio silence? I’m thinking they all were overcome by this gas/chemical. Then we see the only remaining supervisor, next to Boden, hauling on his breathing gear and entering the structure, followed immediately by the explosion and preventing him from radioing what he’d found. The only thing I disliked about the finale was Dawson not saying yes immediately. She’s been mooning over Casey since the series start, now she is offered literally her heart’s desire and can’t say yes? What makes it worse is that she knew it was coming, so why would she be so surprised? The unexpected gem of the finale? Mouch and the Sgt. Making goo-goo eyes at one another! Loved it and hope they write the romance of the decade into both shows! Love to see Mouch holding the Sarge’s purse at the mall on a Saturday afternoon. :)

• wrstlgirl says:

Actually the super never made it inside the building. The explosion happened just as he was reaching the door. But yes, something was definitely off about that building. I felt it the second they drove up to it that something just wasn’t right :-)

• Valerie Tower says:

SeanP. Loved your write up. Mouch and Sgt would be the romance of the decade. would LOVE to see that happen.

• Sky says:

For everyone,not just you, who says Dawson could just get switched to another shift at 51 that would be stupid because then casey and dawson would only see each other once every three days which is only, on average, twice a week.

27. alexandrrina says:

You should really consider adding answer E, for epic

28. Lisa London says:

It was brilliant! And now, the long summer wait. Anyone else miss Clarke? I like where they were taking his character and then, poof, he disappears. Odd.

• wrstlgirl says:

I read that Jeff Hephner picked up a pilot and is also currently filming a movie. If the pilot doesn’t do well he can always come back to 51 :-) I really liked Clarke too but his replacement is pretty great too, at least from what we’ve seen so far.

29. Si alguien deseo de ser actualizado con más nuevos después hacer una visita rápida Página web y estar al
    día todos los días diario .

30. Judy Leighton says:

Cried at the end. Knew that building was bad news. I want all of them to make it. Casey is my favorite as I loved him in House. Dawson is a whiner but I want them to stay together. Mills used to be a whiner also but he has been better, not sure if his discovery of his Dad will be positive or not. Loved the new love interest with Mouch. Oh the summer will be long so please do not let Casey or Severide die or anyone else. My favorite show….

• bsabiston says:

I agree with all you’ve said, Judy! I love this show! Casey is my favorite character and I don’t want to see him die nor do I want to see him go through the heartache of losing another love interest to death! I honestly would HATE it if ANY of the characters died (except possibly Devin – she’s just irritating).

31. Kevin says:

I promise I am literally shaking after this episode I hope this isn’t the end

32. Valerie Tower says:

CF is one of my favorite shows on TV. I thought the finale was excellent until they got to the last few minutes. It was hokey and lame. We already know that the show is coming back for season 3 so is this a real cliffhanger? They aren’t all going to die or there wouldn’t be a show. A tiny bit disappointing but this season has been soooooo great i forgive them.

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t think whether or not they all will die is the cliffhanger. It’s who dies or gets injured and how it will effect them and 51.

33. fair loans says:

I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be using?
    I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest
    blog and I’d like to find something more secure.
    Do you have any suggestions?

34. Sydney says:

I thought the finale was awsome but in the next season they need to make more antonio and gabby scenes !!!!!!!

35. erica says:

I reeeeeally hope EVERYBODY is st 51 thru s3 BUT I have a feeling that something happens to casey. Whether he just can’t work anymore due to injuries or he dies, Hermann takes over as truck LT and Dawson stays at 51 on truck. Reason is Dawson(Monica Raymund) has a 6yr contract with Chicago Fire(as long as they air) which means… how can she be at another firehouse and still main characters in Chicago Fire?

36. Cindy says:

I’m so happy to hear Chicago Fire will continue to air!! What a season finale!!!! I love all the actors & actresses on the show!!!! Shay,you are beyond gorgeous & Dawson you are beautiful as well:))) Can’t wait til next season!!!!!!

37. rea says:

Thhis article is inn fact a good one it helps new web users, wwho
    are wishing in favor of blogging.

38. C. Moreno says:

Wow, what an ending. Don’t want any of the characters gone. Love them all. Fantastic show along with Chicago P.D.

39. andy bogan says:

I hope the show Will continue

40. Zachary koenig says:

I thought the season 2 finale was awesome, I just really hope that they didn’t kill anybody off
    because I love all the main characters.

41. The way it works is this: You pour alcohol into a round glass and put that
    over another glass that has a lit candle in it.
    For convenience,I just eat the same foods everyday. Start a foodd
    journal and write down every meal and snack to consume
    iin a 24-hour period.

42. Hurrah! In the end I got a website from where I know how to truly
    take hrlpful data concerning my study and knowledge.

43. kyle says:

Great show , can’t get enough. Just hoping no one died in that building

44. You can certainly see your enthusiasm within the article
    you write. The sector hopes ffor more passionate writers such ass you
    who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go
    after your heart.