Frozen's Elsa Is Coming to Once Upon a Time -- But Who Should Play Her? Our Top 10 Picks

Before Queen Elsa casts her icy spell on Once Upon a Time‘s upcoming fourth season, the powers that be need to do some casting of their own.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time EPs Talk Regina’s Blast from the Past, Confirm Season 4′s Frozen Twist

Showrunners Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis have confirmed to TVLine that Frozen‘s ice queen indeed arrived in Storybrooke at the end of Sunday’s finale, but her portrayer still remains a mystery, even to them.

Should it be another former Lost star, like Maggie Grace or Elizabeth Mitchell? Perhaps a teen drama vet, like Gossip Girl‘s Blake Lively or Glee‘s Dianna Agron?

Browse our gallery of potential Elsas below, then drop a comment with your own nomination(s).

_

1. Wild child says:

I say just say just cast Kristen Bell as a fan of he film it think that would be a nice touch

• Stormy says:

I guess it depends on whether she is good or evil. If she’s evil Kristin Bell. if she’s good Jennie Garth.

• JohnHasADHD says:

Kristen Bell has a job and honestly – they couldn’t afford her

• Josh says:

Kristen Bell because they’ll need a strong actress to make this not another repeat of “storybrooke vs evil witch”. And who doesn’t love Kristen Bell? And I think it would be great fun for the cast to see the reversal.

But I can see them not doing it because with Frozen possibly coming to Broadway, I could actually see her landing the Elsa role in that(or the Anna role) so she might pass.

• Nancy says:

I loved Kristen, but I hope that Once´s story include Anna, so she can play her, not Elsa.

• Liam says:

I thought the same thing at first but the more I think on it Kristen has one of the best “Elsa Looks” despite she played the other sister. Allison Mack, would be a good Elsa as well – if only they make her look taller. Or Tracy Spiridakos now that she is free from Revolution.

• DrStrange10150 says:

My first thought was Kristen Bell. It would be a “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” type of casting, but it would work. “House of Lies” may get in the way, though.

• Ray says:

Kristen Bell would be the best fit, but I would love Claire Holt or Dianna Agron. Hopefully Rebekah and Quinn return to where they belong.

• Lin says:

Totally agree with this comment!
        If they would hire an actress that isn’t blonde Jessica Brown-Findlay(AKA Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey) would be an interesting choice.

• Lemon Skittle says:

Claire Holt? EW. NO. Her face i have seen in sooo many places. AND SHES EXTREMLY SHORT. I THINK Kristen Bell IS SOO MUCH BETTER SHE HAS THE BETTER LOOKS SHES A STRONG ACTRESS AND EVERYTHING MUCH MORE THAN Claire.

• arrow273 says:

Dormer looks like Elsa

2. I would love if Kristen Bell played Elsa. She’s blonde plus she can sing. But I can see why they won’t hire her since she may be filming house of lies during that time and she already played Elsa’s sister.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Claire Holt would be perfect :-)

4. Casey says:

I would love if it was Yvonne Strahovski! I miss her on my tv.

• Andy Swift says:

Also a good suggestion! (If you miss her, just watch “24: Live Another Day.”)

• Jenny says:

Yvonne would be an interesting choice and it would be a nice change from the roles she’s played recently. But I think it would probably be too grueling for her to film 24 and OUAT back to back (34 1-hour episodes of network television).

• TL says:

You’re in luck! She’s on your TV tonight!

5. LK says:

Elizabeth Mitchell is too old… any of the others would do.

• Except Ginny Goodwin isn’t 14 and Joanna Garcia isn’t 16. The majority of the actors on OUAT are in their 30s-40s, I’d rather have someone similar in a role as powerful as Elsa’s.

• Mable Snodgrass says:

Agree with LK. It doesn’t matter how old the actors/actresses are in real life… it’s how they look. And Elizabeth Mitchell is too mature looking for Elsa. I love the idea of Maggie Grace! :)

• Zaakirah says:

I completely agree with you.You see, Ginnifer Goodwin can pull off being Snow White because she certainly doesn’t look her age, and you have to remember that in the show, Snow White is a mother.

• Jeri says:

Totally agree, Elizabeth Mitchell is too old.

• joycb527 says:

That was my first thought, too. I LOVE the idea of bringing another LOST alum into the mix. Maggie Grace would be good.

6. Kristen Bell would be perfect like Elsa, also Blake Lively or Maggie Grace (I miss not seeing them more on tv show) :)

7. Lucky says:

Kristen Bell would be great, either as Elsa or Anna if they brought her to the show. I’d give almost anything to see Kristen on the show.

• It's Bloggable says:

but Kristen Bell is Anna… not Elsa!!!

• Sarah says:

If Kristen Bell is going to be on the show at all, I really hope they don’t cast her as Elsa because everybody who has seen Frozen knows her as Anna. I would find her voice really distracting if she was Elsa because it would be like the snow queen with her sister’s voice coming out of her mouth instead of her own. Also, Kristen Bell doesn’t really look like Elsa at all, the only similarity I can really see between them is that they both have blonde hair, and judging by the clip from the series finale, they are going with Frozen’s Elsa, not just ‘the snow queen’ from Hans Christian Anderson’s tale. If they were just going with the snow queen and not Frozen, then Kristen Bell might have been ok for the role, but if you watch the clip, the snow queen looks exactly like Elsa from Frozen, they have the same hair and the same dress and everything.

8. ELIZABETH MITCHELL <333333

9. lindsay says:

The crux of the Frozen story is in these young sisters discovering who they are, both separately and together, so I really hope they cast young for this role.

10. JC1 says:

Did Bitten get renewed? I could see Laura Vandervoort in that role (she would have been my choice for Aurora, actually), as well as several of your other choices. One person you left off is Yvonne Strahovski, though I know it’s probably never happen.

• JC1 says:

And I see someone else already mentioned Yvonne. :)

• nate says:

syfy hasnt released any cancellations or renewals yet

• wrstlgirl says:

Thanks nate, I’ve been wondering about Bitten myself.

• Liz says:

The decision isn’t up to SyFy – it’s up to it’s Canadian producers BellMedia

• Mélanie says:

That eerie had so much potential, but it ended up being boring as hell- even and especially during fight scenes. I only watched the whole thing as a fan of Vandervoort.

• KG29 says:

Laura Vandervoort would be PERFECT! Plus they can also bring back Greyston Holt’s Freddrick! BUT ONLY if wouldn’t interfere with BITTEN’s Season 2 shooting. (Please Please Renew Syfy & Space!!!).

• KG29 says:

BITTEN was renewed for a 10-episode second season by Space (in Canada) & Syfy picked it up also. So everyone is HAPPY HAPPY!!! (I just wished it was for more than 10 eps, since season1 was 13. But I’ll take what I can get.)

• Ashley says:

EXACTLY!! I didnt even think of Laura. I forgot she is young, blond, and beautiful. she would make a great Elsa. Or even Dianna Argon shes good.

11. Dave says:

All of them are perfect? Love blake lively

12. Midnight says:

Vandervoort and Holt would both be excellent casting – they played my favorite characters on Smallville and The Vampire Diaries, respectively.

Mitchell would be amazing, but she’s probably too old for the role. I guess it depends on what sort of Elsa OUAT decides to have.

I’m pretty sure we as a collective viewership are not worthy of Natalie Dormer being on network TV outside of Elementary. Maybe in my dreams OUAT could get her. Same with Kristen Bell these days.

I would also throw out Sarah Michelle Gellar if she is still looking for work after having two shows cancelled on her, although she isn’t that much younger than Mitchell.

13. Natalie Dormer has the perfect eyes for Elsa. I’m calling it!!!
    But I’d like to see Candice Accola or Arielle Keball too!!

• lll says:

Arielle Kebbel and Candace Accola are awesome choices. So are Vandervoort, Mitchell, Grace, Holt and Lively.

• Emile says:

Natalie Dormer will play Elsa perfectly and Laura Vandervoort is gonna be perfect for Anna !!

• Molly says:

YES!! I think that Natalie Dormer has the perfect face and eyes for Elsa and as for Laura Vandervoort.. I think that she could totally pull off Anna!!! I also really enjoy her acting in her recent series “bitten”

14. Lia says:

Kristen Bell said she would love to play Anna and I guess it should remain that way – if they manage to bring her to Once, let her be Anna. As for Elsa, I like Laura Vandervoort (I think she’s my favorite), Maggie Grace, Elizabeth Mitchell (but she’ll make me miss Idina [good - for her - and bad she's busy w/ If/Then]) and Dianna Agron. Also, my TV will never have enough of Natalie Dormer, hehehe.

15. Nickii says:

Kristen Bell, Maggie Grace or Elizabeth Mitchell are my favorites :)

16. SS says:

The vote is for Elizebeth Mitchell

17. English says:

Not so sure about Elizabeth MItchell – no matter how much I love her… Diana would be awesome!!! NO WAY TO Megan Hilty!!! To much Galinda in her for me from seeing her in wicked And honestly it cannot be Kristen… shes not Elsa, She is Anna!

• It's Bloggable says:

Also not a fan of the Megan Hilty idea…. *unless* they are taking more of a villain route with the character (which, at this point, it kind of seems like they are)… in which case, I think Megan would be an excellent choice!!!

18. Sarah says:

My vote is too age her up and snag Elizabeth Mitchell. If not her than Dianna, Natalie, or Kristen. Big no for me to all of the others.

19. Stacie says:

I saw a fan made poster of Amanda Schull as Elsa and I thought it was a wonderful idea

• the girl says:

I LOVE this idea. Do NOT like the idea of Blake Lively or Dianna Agron. I like Elizabeth Mitchell but I don’t want her to be Elsa. Anyone else I think I can live with.

• Michelle Scuhyler says:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want it to be Amanda Schull

20. mc says:

Megan Hilty looks like Lana Parilla.

21. Tammy says:

I vote we have a Snow Queen instead of Elsa…. not go down the Frozen path at all. I’m so over Frozen!

• zacqua10 says:

Who says that just because the character is named Elsa they won’t go the Snow Queen route? She’s obviously going to be playing a villain, which Elsa is not. I see them making her the Snow Queen then redeeming her towards the end, which is what happens to most of the villains on the show. They have a sob story, become evil, then get redeemed.

• TL says:

Let me be the first of many posters to tell you to…LET IT GO!

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Who is a Snow Queen?

• Kay says:

The Snow Queen is the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale that Frozen was based on (however loosely). Since OUAT tends to lean more towards the printed side of stories rather than the movie take, it would make more sense to me that they go this route for the story.

• Alice says:

If they are making her the villain I HOPE it isn’t Elsa. The whole thing I loved about Frozen was that it wasn’t the typical “evil powerful woman totures society with ice powers”. I mean, they managed Rapunzel without using Tangled at all.
      But that costume was a little on the nose for a generic Hans Christian Anderson Snow Queen.
      If it’s Elsa, this better be her getting payback for some terrible thing Regina or Rumple did to her family- not “Suddenly Evil Elsa terrorizes Storybrooke”. Because I’ll root for Elsa anyway.

• Sarah says:

Same. That way they could make her a villain. But it looks like they are going down the Frozen path because in the clip where you see her emerging from the liquid, she looks exactly like Elsa from Frozen. I really hope they’re just doing that so younger viewers can see that she is the snow queen, not because she actually is Elsa.

22. Juan says:

Clare Holt please. I loveeee her and she would be perfect I think.

23. Reblogged this on Grandson of Sam and commented:
    Will this be a musical episode?

• Sarah says:

Let’s hope not. Hopefully they won’t go down the same path as Frozen. I’d personally like to see this snow queen as an original character, kind of like what they did with Snow White. If they actually include any of the songs from Frozen, especially let it go, it’ll seem like they’re trying to gain viewers by making a parody of a really popular Disney film.

24. jss0058 says:

Why limit it to blondes? Wigs will work. I think someone like Alexis Bledel would be interesting or maybe even someone like Leighton Meester might be interesting. And if we are doing former Lost cast members…Evangeline Lily (spelling?)

Also I’m 100% against using Kristen or Idina…if the creators are doing their own take on the rolls for ONCE then start fresh

25. Jessicacejalvo says:

Why get a new actor!!!!!!! I think the writers should consider that Jennifer Morrison AKA Emma play the role!!!!! IT WOULD BE PRETTY SICK!!!!😍☺️😊😍☺️😊

• Sara says:

I don’t know how they’d play that, but my first thought with the back shot of Elsa was that it looked like Emma. Of course, maybe they used her to stand in until they cast the role.

• Sarah says:

That would be so confusing though, because Jennifer Morrison already has a role on the show. Unless it’s actually part of the plot that Emma learns how to use ice magic and becomes the snow queen.

26. Ben says:

Megan Hilty would actually be really perfect for this role. But I would love to see Maggie Grace or Dianna Agron in the role. My big no’s in that list are Elizabeth Mitchell and Kristen Bell – both wonderful actors, but in that role they both feel a bit off to me.

27. hello says:

Why do people think Blake Lively is a good actress, cause she is not. Other than her i have no problems with your choices

28. Amanda Seyfried? She’s got the look, she can act, and she can sing… anyone think she might qualify?

• Ashley says:

Amanda for Elsa and Kristen for Anna.

No, I’ve never watched Veronica Mars… what makes you ask?

• Sarah says:

That’s not a bad idea, actually. She might look too young though. Judging by the costume the snow queen was wearing in the show, they’re going with the way she looked in Frozen, and in Frozen she looked like she was in her early twenties or something and she looked really mature. I don’t know how old Amanda Seyfried is exactly, but I don’t think she really looks mature enough, especially if they’re going to make the snow queen evil in the show. She might be a good choice for Anna, if Anna’s going to be in the show at all.

29. Ronda Hansen says:

I would like to see Megan Hilty be Elsa. She has the right colored hair, even though it’s not long enough. My second choice would be Laura Vandervoort.

30. Charissa29 says:

Kristen Bell should be the answer to most casting choices. Blake Lively can barely enunciate, let alone sing!

31. Clayton says:

Dianna Agron or Claire Holt. But I miss Claire Holt on the Originals more than I want her as Elsa. I think Dianna Agron would be perfect for it. Elsa is a misunderstood character and I think Agron could capture that struggle really well.

32. Dianna Argon. She looks a lot like Elsa from “Frozen”.

33. Morgan says:

Wow, I just put pictures of Elsa and Natalie Dormer side by side and they are eerily similar.

• Lance says:

Sadly Natalie seems way to busy with other stuff, she’s literally everywhere these days and rightfully so.

• Sarah says:

It would be awesome if she could play Elsa/the snow queen in Once Upon a Time though, she looks exactly like her and from what I’ve heard she’s a pretty good actress

34. M says:

The question should be. Who is she related to??!

35. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

None of the above. Get a GOOD actress, they can slap a blonde wig on her head.

36. BJ says:

I can’t decide if I want Elizabeth Mitchell, Kristen Bell, or Maggie Grace. ;)

37. Kayla says:

Love the idea of Dianna Agron. Yvonne is a really good idea too.

38. The moment the episode ended I thought of Elizabeth Mitchell as the perfect match to play Elsa. I’d love to see Kristen on OUAT but as Anna, rather than Elsa, since A&E already mentioned that Elsa won’t be the only Frozen character to make an appearance.

39. stephenwphillips says:

Sheesh.. Easy answer – the wickedly talented Adele Dazeem, of course!

40. Breanna says:

KRISTEN BELL!!! Original cast of Frozen would make it perfect for Once Upon A Time!!! It could really boost up the viewers as well!!! :)

41. Your 10th was my 1st.

42. Casey says:

I would be happy with either Dianna Agron, or Maggie Grace, but I’d prefer Maggie. Like Kitsis said in the TVLine interview, Elsa is “perceived to be a villain but is clearly misunderstood.” Remember Shannon Rutherford? Everyone thought she was a bitch, but she turned out not to be. Also, I love when they bring in LOST alums, so I would really love it if they picked her. (:

43. Kyle says:

I hope they cast an actress around the age of Regina or Zelena. Would Rumple really be so afraid of someone who was so much younger than him? It wouldn’t be believable, in my opinion.

44. KaylaAnne says:

Dianna definitely! She’s perfect!!!

45. Quite frankly, I’d rather seem them save the budget they’d spend on a “big name” and put it into the wig fund. I’d rather see the creators worry about keeping the show high quality than waste energy on more stunt casting. That way they’d have less worry about scheduling conflicts should they want to give the character a bigger role or bring her back (cough Ruby, cough Arial, cough Nova…)

46. Kat says:

Alona Tal

47. justme says:

That picture of Elizabeth Mitchell almost looks more like Jessica Capshaw. I did a double take. Is that what she looks like now? I haven’t really watched her in anything she did after
    Lost.

48. Mark says:

I’m going to throw a name in the hat and she is in Vancouver most of the year and isn’t filming everyday and can act and has the look Emily Bett Rickards although in my opinion it will go to Maggie because of Lost

49. Rachel says:

Maggie Grace certainly looks like the perfect Elsa. Megan Hilty popped into my head as soon as I realized it was Elsa, though that could be because I was trying to think of blonde actresses.

50. Lucky says:

Kristen Bell would be amazing, but she’d be great as Anna too if they bring her on. Laura Vandervoort would also be a great choice.