Community's 'Hypothetical' Season 6 on Another Network? Dan Harmon 'Won't Stand in the Way'

community-cancelled-season-6-moving-networks-dan-harmon-speaksDon’t retire that #SixSeasonsAndAMovie hashtag just yet, Community fans.

While series creator Dan Harmon initially felt “eh” about the prospect of shopping the comedy to othert networks in the wake of its cancellation by NBC on Friday, he promised fans in a blog post on Sunday night that he “won’t be lukewarm” about the idea if/when discussions with Sony Pictures TV resume this week. “I’m not going to be the guy that recancels cancelled Community,” he promised.

RELATED | NBC Cancels Revolution and 4 Others

That said, Harmon warned “There are lots of reasons a Community resurrection could be difficult” and that “I’m scared to tell you how little a difference I think my enthusiasm will make.”

RELATED | Fall TV First Look: NBC Releases Trailers For Constantine, Heigl’s State of Affairs and More

That knowledge, he said, made him initially reluctant to back a Community renewal campaign, especially with “the unsettling thought of your passion for campaigns being once again exploited by this rather unfair, somewhat backward system, one that now treats you like it’s your responsibility to keep a show alive, like a corporation is doing you a favor by feeding you low grade opiate through a regulated tube. Like you owe them an apology when they can’t measure or monetize you to their satisfaction. You deserve better. I love you guys, and at its best, Community is me saying that over and over again, saying let’s get less mad at ourselves and each other and more mad at the inhuman systems that keep us down and divided.”

Harmon then reiterated he “will not be standing in the way” of a hypothetical Season 6, but encouraged fans to “sit back and treat yourself to some New Girl and Parks [and Recreation] and Mindy [Project] and Brooklyn 99 and Eagleheart and Portlandia,” as well as Matt Berry’s Toast of London and his own Adult Swim series Rick and Morty.

RELATED | Community Season 5 Finale Recap: ‘Idiots Won!’

“Let TV be the needy clown that it’s still very overpaid to be, and let the suits deal with the suits and see what possibilities exist,” Harmon concluded. “That’s the best we can do for now. Ninety-seven episodes. Over eighty pretty good ones. Mission accomplished.”

Read Harmon’s entire freewheeling blog post here.

What do you think of the prospect of Community moving to a new network? Would you follow the show anywhere, or was the Season 5 finale the right place to end the story? Sound off below!

1. TV Fan says:

I can’t complain about the prospect of having more Community; however, the show had a great and improbable run (except the gas leak year). Well, at least we have Rick and Morty for the foreseeable future.

2. GuessWhat says:

Just let it go. Let the stars move on to other projects. RIP.

• TV Gord says:

I would cheer loudly if it found another home, but part of me agrees with you, too. I’m sorry that we aren’t getting more, but I’m happy that we got as much as we did.

3. While I would love to have the show continue, at least for a proper end that goes beyond a theoretical canonical asteroid destroying the planet, I certainly understand his frustration. He’s had to grovel and rally and lobby against the people he’s supposed to be working for who don’t even like him or even understand what makes Community Community and that kind of thing wears hard on the soul. It reminds me of David Boreanaz’s frustration after Angel was cancelled, relieved that he wouldn’t have to be stressing out every year anymore due to the hated, overempowered, suited mutants who never know what they’re doing.

4. Tran says:

In my opinion, Community to NetFlix.

• Ggny says:

Netflix already said no

• GuessWhat says:

yeah…that seems more logical than a cable move

• Summer says:

Hulu acquired the rights to Community, so Hulu would be the only option unless another network picks it up. It’d definitely launch Hulu headlines making them more marketable against Netflix (House of Cards/OITNB/Arrested Development). Win/win for both I’d say.

• webly3 says:

If Hulu would revive it, that’d be a huge move for Hulu because then people might actually start caring about Hulu. I think this is a great idea tbh.

5. GuessWhat says:

The bottom line here is that this is a seriously ratings-challenged show. Creatively unique and with a cult following — albeit SMALL and DECREASING following. Not sure how you shop a show like that around to a cable network. One comparison would be how COUGAR TOWN made the move. But even that had better ratings, right?

6. Tina says:

Good luck Community fans!!!!!
    I’m hoping fit a season 3 of Revolution #relocaterevolution !!!!!

7. Drew says:

I am with him. I am tired of constantly having to prove that we are out here, with show after show after show, all because the networks can’t find a way to gather real data on viewership. That isn’t our job, it is theirs. For as long as I can remember, we have had letter writing campaigns and online petitions proving their data wrong and yet they haven’t done anything to fix the problem. TV isn’t just available when it is broadcast live anymore. We had vhs tapes in the past. We have DVRs now. We have online streaming that the networks make available to us. We have on demand access. We have the ability to own episodes digitally as they air. So much data is being ignored, even as the studios and networks provide us with more viewing options. How much more can we be expected to do as an audience?

• Pat says:

Exactly, they want the options so they can make more $$$$$ but then the idiots also want to live in the past and just stick to their little nielson ratings that have been going down more and more and more. There are way more people watching than they say.

• Drew says:

It’s a silly system at this point anyway. The Nielsons sample a small audience and then pretend that those people reflect the entire TV watching population. That might have worked when there were four channels and no way to watch them later, but it’s absurd now.

8. A says:

I’m tired of people asking for other networks to bring back their favorite shows. I was a community fan as well, but we have to let it go……

9. Joey Padron says:

Hope another network will pickup Community for season 6.

10. alistaircrane says:

Lots of pessimists in here. I for one am keeping hope alive that we’ll get a proper final season (and a movie!).

• CealSR says:

Yowsers! I agree… I’m not accustomed to this level of negativity!! Community is not a “normal” show… ratings might not prove it but then ratings tend not to prove a lot of things in this day and age. I’m with you – I’m really holding out for a final season at least. I’m really happy for Parks and Recs that they got that opportunity and REALLY puzzled, considering NBC’s run of the last few years, that they didn’t keep Community around with a similar plan. Hoping against hope that someone will give the very dedicated fans some respect and some peace in the form of a closure season.

11. Bryce says:

Harmon’s the worst. “97 episodes 80% good ones” screw him man. Season 4 was good and Harmon’s treatment of it is insane. Good riddance to Harmon.

• Patrick says:

Agreed. Season 4 wasn’t noticeably worse than S3, S5, or a huge chunk of S2.

He wrote a lot, and I mean A LOT of duds. Overall it was a great show, but it was by no means flawless or perfect.

• I don’t agree. While still watchable because of the cast, it just wasn’t so funny that I would produce audible laughter, at least not very often. It just felt off. It felt like it was a comedy that was once beloved but had gotten stale after, say, 5 years. The new showrunners just accelerated the process.

• TheTeaTrader says:

I second that.

I both like the Harmoned seasons and the non Harmoned season. I mean, I get where his heart is at, how connected he feels to his fans… but to add that tad bit of a sentence…just shows the size of this producer’s ego bigger than the man himself. Let it go already! I liked the fourth season except for the Troy-Britta thing. But at least they had the guts to go there!

Anyway, that being said, Community was a cute, quirky show that every now and then tried to be too much meta that comes a little bit off desperate, but I liked that geeky stuff, especially with talented actors and writers. It also held one of the TV’s finest 20 minute comedies where it held so much stories that it felt like 40 minutes!

All in all, the show was good enough for me to easily tolerate Harmon’s ego and his holy-metaer-than-thou attempts. But really, don’t be such a Daria about it.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I’ll defend season 4, too. Wasn’t perfect, but I still enjoyed it.
      My sentiments are similar to many in this thread. Love “Community”. Miss it already. Would be absolutely thrilled if it did get resurrected on another channel or online somewhere, and I’d happily watch every episode that aired.
      But if nothing happens, and this is indeed officially the end for the show, then it’s sad, but I’ll deal with it and move on, and appreciate the five seasons worth of greatness we DID get.

12. TV Gord says:

I’d say let some time pass, and then maybe Kickstarter…I would shell out a few bucks for more Abed.

13. Scamper Petie says:

Do a Veronica Mars and let the fans decide. Tired of networks killing the most creative shows to keep cop show #million and one. Or more doctor drama, ugh. This was the only show that had continuity between cast and week to week concept that didn’t degenerate into a soap opera.

14. Ram510 says:

Come on Comedy Central, pick this show up!!!
    I’m kind if surprised Dan did list Cougar Town in his comedies to be thankful for speech considering how much they talk about the show on Community

15. Robert says:

Community was one of the most creative shows out there and I would miss it very much. I sincerely hope it can find another home for at least a grand finale season. Six seasons & a movie still!

16. Zach says:

Uh, Dan… Eagleheart’s cancelled, too.

17. I love Community. I’m sad it’s canceled. But, unlike years before, I think that sadness stems more from having a semi-complete finale, rather than a full series finale. I would have liked to see how the writers would end the story of the Greendale Seven, their wacky Human Being collegemates and everyone else surrounding this weird part of the world.

That being said, I don’t know if a resurrection project would work. While I’m sure the majority of the cast and crew love the show, they’re probably keen to moving on to other projects (and they’re so talented, it would be a shame if they didn’t). And I don’t want to see a half-baked version of Community on Hulu, where you can feel the holes of the cast members that departed. We got a bit of that in season five, with both Chevy Chase and Donald Glover leaving. No more.

That said, I know the rights issues behind this would be extremely complicated, never mind the creative aspect, but a part of me does wish Community lived on in a different form. Not a sitcom, or a graphic novel, or unpublished scripts. I don’t even need full twenty-two minute episodes with a solid A, B and C story. I kinda wish we were given occasional peeks into Greendale through little clips or minisodes, not necessarily focusing on the Greendale Seven but the other Human Beings, maybe as they navigate their daily, post-collegiate lives. But you know, that’s more for me than anything else. I think that universe is so much fun, it’s a shame to see that go… on a screen, anyway.

18. Paul says:

Just a word about efforts to extend the run of Community: Stop. You know what happens when you get a season of a show where no one really wants to be there? The final season of Roseanne. We all know how that turned out.

There aren’t any stories left to tell at Greendale. I loved peering into that place for five years, but let’s move on for everyone’s sakes.