Orphan Black Recap: Monster Guardian Angel

Orphan Black Season 2 RecapOn this Saturday’s Orphan Black, clones finally collide as Sarah’s quest to get to the truth leads her into the lion’s den — and it’s up to her sestra to save her!

But before we get to the rescue, let’s review how Sarah got herself into quite the bloody bind.

RELATED | Orphan Black‘s Michiel Huisman Talks Cal’s Past, Meeting Kira & What’s Next

SARAH | After waking from the crash and finding out that Cal caused it in a desperate attempt to save her, Sarah and her ex are once again on the run. He wants to know what’s going on – “Whatever this is, I’m in it,” he says – so Sarah finally opens up just a little bit. She tells him that Daniel belonged to “a very serious” – a pause as she considers the right word for Rachel – “bitch and a very powerful corporation.” That leads to this bit of clever dialogue:

Cal: “You must have really gotten under their skin.”

Sarah: “They sort of got under mine first.”

They collect Kira and set off on their new family adventure in a camper, which is surprisingly hi-tech thanks to Cal’s skills. He gets Sarah online so she can Skype about the Project Leda photo with Cosima, who brings up the mythology surrounding Leda and the swan (well done, commenters, who mentioned it last week). Cosima also points out the scary guy with the gun in the background of the picture. Could the military have created Sarah and Co.? All Sarah knows is that Mrs. S is “the key to all of this stuff,” so she leaves Kira with Cal and heads back home to track down answers. It pays off when Sarah discovers that the man and woman in the photo are Rachel’s adoptive parents. A visit to the proclone’s suite “straight of Cold Bitch Digest” is a gold mine. Cosima notes that Rachel grew up totally self-aware, so she would  have a “profound sense of narcissism” and was raised to make strategic business decisions sans feelings. But Sarah’s not buying Cosima’s all-business-no-emotions theory. After all, there are men’s clothes in the suite, meaning Rachel’s got a boy toy, so maybe she’s not completely a cold fish. Plus, those are some heartwarming home videos she’s got.

RELATED | Orphan Black Preview: Can Mrs. S Be Trusted?

The snooping gets interrupted when Daniel enters – hello, not-so-dead boy toy/monitor! – assuring Leekie over the phone that Rachel will not find out he lost Sarah. He promises to find out what she knows “gently,” but restraint is nowhere to be found when Daniel ties Sarah to the shower and begins to cut into her. For once, Sarah seems completely helpless and terrified. But don’t fret, she’s got a “guardian angel,” Kira tells Cal. (Did you have a Nashville flashback as he strummed that guitar during their chat?)

HELENA |  Everyone keeps telling Helena she’s part of the family now, but one person isn’t so welcoming. Helena’s nightmare on the prairie continues as Gracie tries to snuff her. “Go back to Hell where you belong,” she says. But if a bullet wasn’t going to kill Helena, a pillow sure as hell isn’t going to do it. Helena gets the upperhand on Gracie and hightails it out of the compound, right past Art, who’s hot on the Proletheans’ trail, but not before some disturbing flashbacks of a creepy procedure performed on her by Henrik.

RELATED | Orphan Black Preview: Season 2 Brings ‘Character Shocks’ and … a Traitorous Felix?

Orphan Black Season 2 RecapHelena secretly follows Sarah from Mrs. S’ house and arrives at Rachel’s suite just in time to take out Daniel. Sarah looks horrified and shocked as a bloody Helena emerges from around the corner, looking like the definition of twisted sister. Clearly, Sarah wasn’t expecting Helena to have survived that gunshot, and she must be wondering if her sister wants payback. “It’s a miracle,” says Helena. “We were meant to be together. Always. Sestra. I need your help. I was married. I think he took something from inside of me.” But instead of hurting her, Helena leans into Sarah, who continues to cry uncontrollably. It’s equal parts touching and troubling.

As for what Henrik took, it looks to be an egg. (How great was the foreshadowing in the season premiere’s opening diner scene?) “Just when the night is darkest, he shines a light. And a new life begins,” he declares.

ALISON | After a disastrous opening night, Alison wakes up in a strange room with her arm in a sling – she didn’t break a leg, but close enough – and demands to talk to Dr. Leekie. But she’s not at the Dyad; she’s in rehab! She’s convinced that Donnie committed her, but Felix reminds her that rehab requires some sort of consent and convinces her to stay a week. (Lyrics from Alison’s next musical performance: “They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, ‘No, no, no.’”)

RELATED | Orphan Black Team Talks ‘Bigger and Better’ Season 2: ‘Nobody Will Say We Didn’t Go for It’

MRS. S | Sarah’s foster mom finds out that Carlton, the man who asked her to hide Sarah in the black, is in town. Their encounter is interesting to say, the least. It’s clear they have a complicated relationship. After attacking each other with weapons, they attack each other with their mouths and start going at it in the bar’s hallway. (Mrs. S, you’re making us blush!) Then it’s down to the other kind of business as Mrs. S asks Carlton for help. He claims to know even less than she does about Sarah, so she asks him to put her in touch with yet another mysterious figure. If Sarah digs any deeper, “a whole world of shit is going to unravel,” warns Mrs. S.

Orphan Black fans, what did you think of Helena and Sarah’s big reunion? Wasn’t it great to see the clones interacting again? If I have one complaint about this season, it’s that the clones have been too separate. I’ve been missing the clone-on-clone action so much that even the little Skype session between Sarah and Cosima was a welcome treat.

1. Chris says:

Mrs. S is a saucy minx!

2. webly3 says:

What a great episode. That ending was phenomenal. Tatiana Maslany deserves to win Performer of the Week – again!

• wordsmith says:

Can she win and be runner-up for that scene in the bathroom? Both halves of that bit with Sarah and Helena were just riveting to watch.

• The transformation into Helena is unbelievable. She really is whole different person there. There’s been many attempts at people playing twins, that have been OK, including Sam Underwood, who does a “good” job in The Following, but Tatiana Maslany is on a level on her own. If she doesn’t get some kind of award this year, it will be a tragedy.

• Nit Picker Jr says:

Exactly what I was thinking– before my brain blew. Or shut down. It did something anyway, after having watched the bathroom hug twice, three times, and thought “she’s. hugging. herself.” :D

Overall a good episode, not bombasic of any sort, especially with the unusually subdued Alison, but good. Until- that scene.

Also I don’t want Cosima to die anytime soon. That would be a bummer.

3. David4 says:

I forgot it was on until 9:38. I might fall asleep before the rerun at midnight.

4. DarkDefender says:

Another excellent episode! I will now be counting the bloody Helena’s at comic-con. :D

5. Ashbash says:

Helena looked just like she was from the movie Carrie coming towards Sarah I would have been crying uncontrollably if I was her too.

6. Nicotine says:

That scene in the bathroom between Sarah and Helena was the best of the season so far – better than the bar scene in the premiere. I had to rewind my DVR and watch it a few times. Tatiana Maslany is amaze-balls!!!

7. Luli says:

I agree about the clones not interacting with each other that much this season… I hope that changes soon, because those are the best scenes. I need the whole cloneclub together!!

8. We stumbled over here by a different webb page and thought
    I should check things out. I like what Isee so i am just following you.
    Look forward tto going over your web page for a second time.

9. Bobby says:

What I’m curious about is what Daniel was doing to Sarah’s neck. Last season, Paul started to figure out Sarah wasn’t Beth because she didn’t have a scar on her neck… a scar that looks like one Sarah will now have thanks to Daniel. Did he really give Beth that scar too?

10. Alichat says:

My god I was so disappointed when Daniel crawled out of that car. So glad he’s dead. And did anyone else get an uncomfortable feeling when Sarah told Cal that Dyad are the ones after her? Maybe I was reading something into it, but I got the impression he recognized that name….really well. The expression on his face was odd.

• Avon says:

Not the only one, I got the same feeling. But also thought I may have read too much into it, haha. Guess time will tell.

• Tess says:

I got that feeling about Cal too – like why did he need to know the name of the company unless he’s got some ulterior motive. I want to believe Cal isn’t as shady as Paul, but I’m not so sure now. I’d like to think that Sarah has left Kira in good hands because Cal’s her dad but who’s to say Cal can really be trusted?
      Does Sarah not know how to take a pulse? Twice now that she’s thought someone died who turned out to have survived. Clearly when it comes to taking someone out, Helena is the closer; Sarah’s pretty bada$$ but she’s got nothing on her creepy twin when it comes to making sure someone’s dead.
      Oh and it now seems pretty clear that even though Mrs. S isn’t Sarah’s bio mom, Sarah takes after her an awful lot. That scene between S and Carlton was similar to how Sarah reconnected with Cal and even her initial dealing with Paul (while pretending to be Beth still).

• How do we know she’s not the bio mom? i missed confirmation of this somehow so im still operating on the theory that she well could be. She wasn’t the surrogate, which we know. Maybe she donated eggs in her youth to make money but did so without fully knowing what they would be used for?

• Considering his work is/was in pollinators, I would totally believe that Dyad is the company that screwed him and sent him off-grid.

• Frankie707 says:

That’s what I was thinking too. His pollinating drones might have been work for Dyad or bought by them taken over by them…something. And he said they’re now being used to drop bombs didn’t he? Speculation that LEDA is a military project so…

11. Tiffany L. says:

Love this show so much and this season continues to impress. Tatiana Maslany continues to be amazing and I wish I could see Jordan Gavaris (Felix) in every scene. Love him and am amazed that his accent isn’t real. I am on the edge of my seat every episode and counting the days until the next.

12. tv2day says:

This show seemed a lot better when binge watching season 1 on amazon during this past snowy winter. Week to week off of dvr I find myself losing interest as im watching. Same with continuum n lost girl.

• There’s excellent medical help available for attention deficit disorders. I’d look into them if I were you.

• TracyWX says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because someone does not share your enthusiasm over a tv show does not call for you to insult them. It’s just a tv show. I also find the show to not be as good as the hype.

• Frankie707 says:

Actually the poster didn’t say they show didn’t live up to the hype. They said they found they enjoyed the show more when binge watching. To which I say; unless you have a Nielsen box then go for it. Wait for the season to end then binge watch.

It’s good to be self-aware enough to realize that. I’ve seen people discover a show a few seasons in, binge watch the previous seasons to catch up, then complain the current season is not as good as the previous seasons. They never seem to think that maybe it’s not the show that’s at fault, but instead the way they’re watching it that’s affecting their perception.

I on the other hand am completed engrossed each week when I watch live (if able). I get totally caught up in the episode and would not be able to until the whole season was over to binge. Neither way is right or wrong (unless you have a Nielsen box, in which case pleas watch live so we get good ratings. :D)

• EJ386 says:

Kind of agree… it is harder to track all the story lines and see the differences between the characters.

• Tess says:

Perhaps then you should wait until the season’s over and binge watch season 2 the way you did season 1 – problem solved.

13. jerry says:

another great episode! helena walking toward sarah was so creepy! Its amazing how you totally forget theyre both played by tatiana. amazing acting, so much fun to watch!

14. GeoDiva says:

It was scary, amazing, scary and more scary! This show gets better and better!

15. arianeb says:

So the moral of this weeks episode is that if you are going to kill someone, make sure they are really dead. The last thing you want is someone you thought you killed try to kill you, but then they get killed by someone else you thought you killed who also wants to kill you.

16. xx says:

SEESTRA!

17. leo21 says:

I’m a little disappointed Helena didn’t go wild on the whole commune instead of just getting away. Maybe later?

• Tess says:

Helena’s not exactly well enough to go off on the whole lot of them right now so it was better for her to use the opportunity to get away, plus she realized they did something to her but wasn’t sure what and it’s not like she has a lot of people in her life who would care to help her (Art actually might have in that instance when she blew right past him, but she wouldn’t have known that). Even though Sarah tried to kill her she still feels connected to her as a twin, so Sarah is the one person she would run to. Right now, Sarah may be freaking out about Helena being alive and all but it may be the best thing to happen for her, not only saving her from Daniel but also because she could sic Helena on Rachel (and I think we all know who that match up would favor).

18. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I really thought it was either Paul or Art that came to Sarah’s rescue and killing off Daniel! Helena still alive took me a awhile to wrap my head around I thought Sarah shot her in the head @ the end of S1. Anyways those two(Sarah and Helena) NEED each other now and what the F@#$ did those proletheans take out of Helena? Are they trying to create a clone for themselves or a baby?

This was a Crazy ass ep. LOVE IT!

19. Leigh says:

You know, this Tatiana Maslany’s pretty good. I think she’s going places. Same for the actress who play Helena, Cosima, and Alison.

20. ac says:

I got that feeling about cal as well that he knows something about dyad