Fall TV Scoop: The CW Orders Four Dramas, Including Flash, iZombie and Jane the Virgin, Passes on Supernatural Spin-Off

The CW New Fall Series 2014The CW jumped into the fall 2014-15 fray on Thursday, ordering four pilots to series including Arrow spin-off The Flash, while passing on the Supernatural offshoot.

The network also handed series orders to Rob Thomas’ iZombie, apocalyptic drama The Messengers and dramedy Jane the Virgin.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Among the noteworthy pilots not getting the go-ahead from The CW was Supernatural: Bloodlines. (The CW’s complete development slate can be found here.)

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

The Flash
EPs | Greg Berlanti (Arrow), Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns, David Nutter, Melissa Kellner Berman
DIRECTOR | David Nutter (Arrow)
CAST | Grant Gustin (Glee), Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order), Danielle Panabaker (Shark), Rick Cosnett (The Vampire Diaries), Candice Patton (The Game), Tom Cavanagh (Ed), John Wesley Shipp (the 90s The Flash), Carlos Valdes, guest star Patrick Sabongui, recurring star Michelle Harrison (Emily Owens, MD)
Based upon characters published by DC Comics, through a freak accident, scientist Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) is given the power of super speed that transforms him into the Fastest Man Alive.

iZombie
EPs | Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars), Diane Ruggiero, Danielle Stokdyk, Dan Etheridge
CAST | David Anders (Once Upon a Time, Alias), Robert Buckley (One Tree Hill), Rose McIver (Once Upon a Time), Malcolm Goodwin (Breakout Kings), Alexandra Krosney (Last Man Standing), Nora Dunn (Entourage), Rahul Kohli
A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head. Based on the characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, and published by DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint.

Jane the Virgin
EPs | Jennie Snyder Urman (Emily Owens, 90210), Ben Silverman, Gary Pearl, Jorge Granie
CAST | Gina Rodriguez (The Bold and the Beautiful), Yael Grobglas (Reign), Brett Dier (Diary of a Wimpy Kid), Andrea Navedo (One Life To Live), Justin Baldoni (Single Ladies, Everwood), Ivonne Coll (Switched at Birth)
A series of surprising and unforeseen events causes a hard-working, religious young Latina woman to be accidentally artificially inseminated. Adapted from the successful Venezuelan telenovela.

The Messengers
EPs | Eoghan O’Donnell (Teen Wolf), Basil Iwanyk (The Expendables), Kent Kubena, Ava Jamshidi
CAST | Shantel VanSanten (One Tree Hill), Sofia Black-D’Elia (Gossip Girl), Joel Courtney (Super 8), Diogo Morgado (The Bible)
When a mysterious object crashes down to earth, a group of seemingly unconnected strangers die from the energy pulse, but then awaken to learn that they have been deemed responsible for preventing the impending Apocalypse.

1. Pia says:

The desription of iZombie reminds me a little of Tru Calling. I’ll give it a chance for Rob Thomas. Jane the Virgin sounds terrible. Will probably pass on the other two as well.

• rawley says:

Yep, exactly what I was gonna say.

• Pia says:

I like Arrow but I’m not sure how long I could stick with yet another comic book series. Especially since Gotham on Fox looks amazing.

• Gail says:

So no more Dr. Whale and Tinker Belle on Once Upon A Time. I guess Emma and Hook do something in the past that causes them to no longer exist in Storybrooke.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s not how it works, with the timing and all. Plus they appear so infrequently, they could do both.

• Cici says:

Are you sure, Matt? I don’t want to get my hopes up for more Ruby and Victor next season and find out he can only do cameos like what happened with Meghan this year.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You only got Victor cameos this season, as well. So, status quo. Maybe.

• alistaircrane says:

I won’t watch it. I want Rob to focus on bringing Veronica Mars back to the small screen, not working on a new show. Plus, the iZombie show has little to nothing in common with the comic book upon which it’s based.

• Pia says:

I am a Veronica Mars fan but that’s not going to happen.

• Zach says:

Yes, because all the networks are just jumping at the chance to get Veronica Mars…

Anyway, if he does manage to do that, Diane Ruggiero can just take over as lone showrunner.

Plus, who cares if it has anything to do with the series? It’s Rob Thomas! I think I’d trust his judgement.

• arianeb says:

Memo to Rob Thomas or Julie Plec or whoever is in charge over there. iZombie is a HORRIBLE name. This is not a cheezy Apple product, and I don’t care what the comic book name is. A blatantly obvious better name would be “I, Zombie” (like Asimov’s “I, Robot”), you may get a better reaction from the audience.

2. Aleana says:

They all sound interesting I was hoping they pick up Dorothy Must Die read the book it was really good

• r0ckmypants says:

Dorothy Must Die never even shot a pilot.

• ? says:

I don’t see Jane the Virgin working with the rest of the CW’s lineup at this point, and I’m not sure The Messengers has a strong enough and unique enough concept to stand out. Next year’s Carrie Diaries and Tomorrow People, respectively, probably. The other two have a shot.

3. Felicity in Portland says:

What happened to Lauren Graham’s pilot – – was that at CW? Another network. I really liked the book and was hoping it would get picked up (or maybe it was never even filmed?)

4. Bonnie says:

I have quit watching TV. I am tired of getting invested in a show and then they take them off.

• haymarilyn7 says:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I stopped watching TV for five years at one point, when they killed off a character I loved and canceled the show. Now, after being demolished by the cancellation of Almost Human, I’m looking at cancelling my cable (in the US) and satellite (in Canada) and just use Amazon, Netflix etc for movies. Would save a ton of time and money. There’s no loyalty in the networks anymore. I know it’s all about business, but business used to be about more than making a buck. Used to be about customer satisfaction, quality programming, investing in quality shows to give them a chance but those days seems to be long gone.

• webly3 says:

LOL boycotting TV because your favorite show is cancelled. That is pathetic. There are many quality shows out there that would probably make up for that loss.

• Aubree says:

that’s not the point that he was making or anyone else was making who said they were going to boycott and/or were thinking off canceling their television subscriptions. I like many others are getting sick and tired of these corporations putting on really great new and interesting television shows that are unique unto themselves and not spin offs or sad imitations of other shows. I’m tired of these corporations putting out some really great show and giving them one season or half a season only to take them away. That’s extremely frustrating when you invest in a show that you really like… for example The Tomorrow People. The show isn’t perfect but what new show is? It’s in its infancy stage. It had one season and in that time the writers and actors set some pretty great groundwork for what was top come…out could have come…The sky was the limit. The show could have done some pretty amazing things in my opinion. It had a lot, a lot of promise yup be utterly unique and now that it’s cancelled all that great story telling is gone. The same goes for Almost Human!

• Teag says:

Haha these comments are everywhere during May. There’s GREAT shows that haven’t been cancelled and that aren’t procedural dramas.

• Lysh says:

This is an odd comment to find on a site about television.

• Renee says:

I stopped watching Fox because of their automatic cancellation record several years ago. Haven’t regretted that at all.

5. sane says:

Jane the virgin. Is it the same as the telenovela Juana la virgen?

6. hello says:

Happy The Flash was picked up, not sad that Supernatural Bloodlines was not picked up

• was that a boring episode or what?!

• Pia says:

I’m a few weeks behind still but I’m not sorry they passed on it. I do not need to add another show to my roster.

• It wasn’t boring. It was reeeeaaaally boring. Plus it was basically the same storyline: guy gets girlfriend/fiancée killed by a monster and decides to get revenge [Sam]; other guy teams up with guy and shows him the ropes [Dean]; other guy’s ex-girlfriend is a supernatural being and keeps secrets from him [Cas]. Not to mention other guy and ex-girlfriend had a mirror scene that was EXACTLY like that when Dean discovers Cas’ betrayal in season six (like, the exact same words.) Seriously, I really don’t understand what they hoped to achieve, it’s the same story with characters with different names, basically.

• fatalsin says:

Im glad also i felt no connection to the characters or really a connection to the real supernatural..other than dean and sam being it for a forced connection!

• EJ386 says:

I kind of agree, but both the Jane the Virgin and The Messengers sound lame, so they had options.

• Reality says:

Ironically, this is the opposite of how people on “tumblr” feel about Supernatural Bloodlines not being picked up. They are calling it a “cancellation” and are attacking The Originals as the sole reason for why it was not picked up.

7. haymarilyn7 says:

Sure wish CW would pick up Almost Human from its parent company WBTV. Personally, I’ve had more than enough of zombies, vampires and evil in general. ::shudders::

• rawley says:

They probably can’t afford to make it. It was a super expensive show, which was a major reason why Fox decided not to do another season.

8. rawley says:

Thank GOD they passed on the Supernatural spinoff. That Bloodlines episode was by far the worst episode of Supernatural ever. I had to turn it off halfway through.

9. A says:

Jane the virgin will be the first to go. It sounds boring.

10. DiverKlein says:

Flash-yes, Izombie-at least a couple cause Tinkerbell is smokin hot–Jane–instant pass. Messengers–eh..maybe a couple.

What about tomorrow people? gone or not?

11. CBWBDK1 says:

Great news! I’m glad the flash got ordered to series! The supernatural spin-off looked terrible! I’m glad they passed on it.

12. Mike R. says:

Though it was all but guaranteed, I am so excited for The Flash!

13. Elyse says:

Surprised they passed on the SPN spin off but not mad. The pilot was awful. Now a ghostfacers spinoff is something I would watch!

• Linda says:

It would be kinda hard for them to do a ghostfacers spin off when the two guys are probably not speakinng to each other now.

• rawley says:

That actually makes it more interesting. Now they’re more layered than just being one note witless foils.

• rawley says:

Yes! Doubly agree that the pilot was abysmal, and about watching a Ghostfacers spinoff! Although I’d worry it’d go the same way as The Lone Gunman did back in the day.

14. Ethan says:

I’m kind of surprised by them not picking up Supernatural: Bloodlines, not that I enjoyed the backdoor pilot much. It was decent but not great, I was probably 40/60 on believing I’d enjoy the show.

• rowan77 says:

I’m kind of happy it didn’t get the pick-up, it felt like the 90210 version of Supernatural, and if SPN is going to be a multi-show franchise, this one would bring the quality level down. They should try again next year using recurring characters from the original series to base it on (Crowley would be an interesting guy to watch, for example). Off-shoots should be as good as the original or they shouldn’t be made.

• Peter J says:

I have a feeling if it had been up to the people at SPN, they might have used SPN characters. Last year Mark Pedowitz said no SPN characters could carry a spinoff. I have a feeling the CW was responsible for most of this backdoor pilot. I wish they’d given it a chance with retooling, as some of it had potential. But the chances of any SPN spinoff happening probably aren’t great, as it’s not well-liked by the network.

• lisa says:

I’m surprised they passed on it also. I enjoyed seeing kol again since he was killed off in tvd.I rather enjoyed the first pilot of the series, they could have given it a chance.

15. 80s says:

If the Flash is even half as good as Arrow, I’m in!

16. David says:

I wish CW would give more normal dramas a shot. Jane the Virgin sounds absolutely ridiculous. What about the Lquren Graham show they were looking at? Oh well at least the are keeping Hart of Dixie around.

17. Michelle says:

Thank god that SPN spin off rubbish is gone. Yuck. Yay for Flash and iZombie!

18. LE says:

I will not be surprised if next year, the CW gives an early renewal to Jane, the Virgin..

• Sayde says:

Yes my thought exactly. If it’s its what I’ve watched on the telenovela, people will love it

• Josh says:

They like stories where girls are impregnated and have to carry it to terms because of their religious belief? People are effed up

• Zenith Tim says:

With that horrible title? What happens when she’s not a virgin anymore?

19. Jon says:

Great news for The Flash, guess we have a new timeslot companion for Arrow on Wednesday nights. iZombie does sound Tru Calling-esque mixed with the zombie flavor of the month, And I’m BORED with zombies. But it’s Rob Thomas so….maybe. The other two are total pass (Jane the Virgin sounds downright horrible)

20. PitaJean says:

Allof these new shows sound promising but since no supernatural spinoff what happens to that episode that was gonna air where it would be an introduction to that cancelled spinoff? Let us know please!

• Kat says:

umm where have you been? They aired that lame back door pilot last week. There was nothing spn about it other than Dean and Sam’s brief 10 minutes. good riddance it was embarrassing calling that show supernatural.

• Ray says:

The backdoor pilot to the Supernatural spinoff aired last week.

21. Brooke says:

I’m actually shocked they didn’t pick up the potentially awful SPN spinoff. Good move on their part. Now maybe Kol can return to life on The Originals and make things interesting again.

22. Brandy says:

I’m glad IZombie,Jane were picked up.

23. sarah says:

I will tune into Flash.
    However I can already predict that the other 3 will not get a second season.

24. Ally Oop says:

I hate the title but love romantic comedies so I will give Jane the Virgin a try. I will also try Messengers. I won’t check out either IZombie or The Flash. This is CWs weakest new slate in years. Hopefully they will renew The 100 and Hart of Dixie. I’m glad Reign and The Originals were renewed and I plan on discontinuing Vampire Diaries. Assuming CW will have 11 dramas again, that means that with the 5 dramas previously renewed and the 4 just picked up, that leaves 2 dramas out of Hart of Dixie, Star-Crossed, The 100 and Tomorrow People to get renewed.

• Ally Oop says:

Ok just read the next article which told me Dixie, Beast and 100 got renewals. That makes 12 dramas. Interesting. I really am curious how they r all gonna get scheduled.

25. sarah says:

So they have 12 shows for the fall, 2 of those will be half seasons.
    HOD and BATB or 2 of the new ones!

26. woodyinho says:

I kinda want to watch the Flash but I’m afraid I’ll lose interest halfway like I did with Arrow.

• Sayde says:

I have a big feeling flash and I zombie won’t make it. Sorry but I predicted same for spn bloodline. I couldn’t finish episode five of arrow. But some do love it. We already haves TVD/TO/the100, what more zombies do we need. I zombie…I goodbye. The. Rest I will give it a try esp jane the virgin.

27. Hasn’t The Messengers been sort of done before? I can’t think how or why but it just sounds very familiar.

28. marcinho says:

How the hell can you be accidentally artificially inseminated???

• Meredith says:

As someone who’s gone through fertility treatments multiple times, I promise you, it’s impossible.

• Can’t you trip and accidentally fall on a syringe full of semen? We are talking television here though..the industry doesn’t have that much of a grip on reality.

• jm says:

you go for an operation to remove your apendix and you get an extra-baby for instance.

• Babybop says:

Well considering recently a guy went in for brain surgery and came out with a vasectomy instead (seriously did happen) it is possible that she went in for a different surgery and they got patients mixed up.

• Meredith says:

Except that you’re fully awake for artificial insemination and I would hope question the doctors if they started a procedure you weren’t there for.

29. Regina says:

Thank goodness they did not pick up the SPN spinoff. It was the wooooooorst!

Excited about iZombie, I love Rob Thomas! Can they do an episode where Liv eats the brain of Lily Kane? I miss Veronica Mars…

30. Stacie says:

Im totally gutted that they passed on the Supernatural spin-off, the only show that I will probably check out is Flash, Izombie sounds awful as does Jane the virgin and I might check out the messengers. Im pissed that they cancelled The Tomorrow People and annoyed they cancelled Star crossed but more angry about TTP since I really got into it in the last few episodes and they left a pretty big cliffhanger.

• nate says:

you’re gutted they passed on Bloodlines which was terrible, yet you think Izombie sounds awful? Izombie sounds amazing compared to the BS that was Bloodlines

31. TL says:

YEAH!!! THE FLASH and JANE THE VIRGIN are gonna be awesome!!!!

32. Danj says:

I hate the cw from not picking bloodlines was awsome so many things to tell

33. Nate says:

So before you people act like little bitches and whine about it The Flash will be a lighter show than Arrow. Anyways can’t wait till Flash, izombie, and messengers

34. Joey Padron says:

Happy The Flash got pickup for fall. I knew they would get a series pickup. Excited to see trailer for show next week. Hope a Arrow/The Flash crossover episodes will happen next year.

35. alistaircrane says:

I hope the failure of Bloodlines doesn’t deter the CW from developing another Supernatural spinoff in the future. Bloodlines was a bad concept, but there are plenty of characters and concepts in the SPN verse worth exploring and spinning off.

• Peter J says:

I totally agree, but Mark Pedowitz already last year that no SPN characters would have spinoffs. So it’s probably not happening, unfortunately.

36. Meredith says:

Pretty intrigued by all of these except Jane the Virgin. The concept for that one is absolutely ludicrous, no one is accidentally artificially inseminated.

• johnhelvete says:

It is ridiculous but doctors have cut off the wrong leg doing amputations, it is not like doctors never make mistakes. After you get past the insemination, if you can, the show is clearly going to be about a young woman dealing with an unplanned pregnancy under unusual circumstances.

• Pia says:

Women need all kinds of hormone injections before they can be artificially inseminated, so it couldn’t be a “she was in the wrong room” kind of mistake.

• johnhelvete says:

Thanks for the info. Would there be a medical condition a person could have that would lead them to having similar hormone injections that would allow the insemination to happen?

• Ally Oop says:

Um, those shots are for people who are not very fertile. They’re given to increase fertility. But for a woman who is highly fertile, they don’t need those shots.

• wingsstef says:

Forgive me if I wrong, but perhaps you are all talking about different types of insemination? I mean there donor eggs by in vitro, or attempted increased fertility but implantation or by drugs, but there are also people that are fairly fertile but use sperm from a bank because they wish to be a single mother or because of their husband’s infertility issues? I am guessing Jane gets pregnant by the last example. Still I understand why such a show would bother some people.

• Meredith says:

As an infertility patient I can’t get past the insemination bc it is absolutely not plausible. I can’t suspend belief on this one.

37. Amanda M. says:

Is anyone else still mourning the end of teen dramas? CW is all about shows on superheros and the supernatural. I was really hoping they would pick up a new teen drama without superheroes or vampires or whatnot.

38. rehabber says:

Hate the loss of The Tomorrow People, but so glad SPN:bloodlines has not been picked up.

39. GhostWolf says:

Happy about Flash and thrilled Bloodlines was a no go. If you wanna do a spinoff do it on an existing character not on something that has nothing to do with the parent show whatsoever

• Peter J says:

That’s on the CW, not SPN. I don’t even know why the CW asked for a possible spinoff, really, when they’d said they wanted nothing to do with SPN characters.

40. I like Arrow, so I’m interested in The Flash and iZombie does not sound too bad. But the other two do not say anything, it was much better Supernatural’s spin-off Bloodlines. :-(

41. anto33 says:

The Supernatural spin-off didn’t look good.It’s logical they passed…

• Peter J says:

Considering the quality of some of what they picked up, it doesn’t seem to be based on logic.

42. Eric says:

Looking forward to iZombie, and I’ll probably watch Flash too. Pass on the other ones.

43. LaPiquante says:

I’m going to take a HARD PASS at Jane the Virgin, but I’ll be there for The Flash and iZombie. I will follow those Veronica Mars people anywhere!

44. Christian says:

Can’t wait for Jane the Virgin. Same people were talking crap about Reign and I knew it would survive, and look at that, it did (and got an early renewal to boot!). I loved Veronica Mars but iZombie sounds asinine and The Messengers sounds derivative as hell. Maybe I’ll watch Flash, maybe I won’t.. I’m ODing on comic book shows!

45. Lena says:

Because of horrible writing, I went from watching four or five CW shows to only one. I mainly watch Arrow. I will probably check out The Flash and maybe iZombie, but that’s it.

46. I am very upset that CW canceled star crossed and The Tomorrow People, I loved both these shows and hope another network or Netflix pick them up.

47. Ella says:

I feel guilty saying this but I’m glad Bloodlines wasn’t picked up. It would diminish the quality and basis of the original show, Supernatural, and you can’t get chemistry like that twice so why try?

48. ezri says:

iZombies – I will try it but I am sceptic. I like my zombies mindless and my vampires not sparkling.

49. James says:

There has to be some conflicting storylines with Arrow and the Flash,as with both of them being DC characters the producers cant rule the prospect of the Justice League in the future if they want to challenge Stan Lee’s Marvel universe.

50. TIL that I’m the only person on the planet who was actually excited for Bloodlines. To each their own, of course, just something I was looking forward to.