TVLine Items: Jared Harris 'Returns' to Mad Men, Parenthood Actor Lands HBO Pilot and More

Jared Harris Mad MenJared Harris is hanging around the Mad Men set again. (Too soon?)

The actor, whose character, Lane Pryce, committed suicide at the end of Season 5, is returning to the AMC drama to direct one of the show’s final episodes.

RELATEDMad Men Mind Games: 7 Premiere Moments That Prove the AMC Drama Is Messing With Us

According to sources, Harris will helm Season 7’s 11th outing, which is slated to air in Spring 2015.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Parenthood’s Ray Romano has joined the cast of HBO’s untitled 1970s, New York-set, rock ‘n’ roll drama pilot, from executive producers Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, George Mastras and Terence Winter, our sister site Deadline reports. Romano will play right-hand man to a record executive portrayed by Bobby Cannavale (Nurse Jackie).

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

* Tyler Hilton (One Tree Hill) has joined the cast of CBS’ sci-fi summer series Extant, per The Hollywood Reporter. The actor will recur as the chief coder on the Humanichs Project at the center of the story, which revolves around a female astronaut (played by Halle Berry) trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space.

* Queen Latifah will portray iconic blues singer Bessie Smith in HBO’s untitled project about the 1920s and ’30s recording artist, Deadline reports.

* Netflix has released a trailer for Season 2 of Ricky Gervais’ mockumentary-style series Derek, which premieres May 30.

1. AJ says:

Will Romano be back for season 6 of Parenthood (if it is renewed)? I would love to see him in as a series regular, or at least recurring.

• Mary Ann says:

I hope it means he will not be back on Parenthood again. Unfortunately, they will probably work around his schedule.

• JB says:

I concur! I wish Hank & Sarah would end. She needs to move on with some one better.

• Michelle says:

Agreed! Terrific news!!! Hope that pilot gets picked up!

• DL says:

See, I feel like their broken parts and jagged edges fit. He really does care and is a good guy. Though I DID like Dr. Perfect AKA Carl, too. I admit I was never on the Mark Cyr bandwagon.

• jimbo says:

It’s an HBO show with 12-13 episodes so it probably won’t affect his Parenthood stint (much) I guess, if it’ll be renewed (which I seriously hope or else, NBC!).

2. Too Soon.

But YAY for the directing opportunity for Jared Harris.

3. The Mangina Monolgues says:

I hope Romano does move on from Parenthood. Nothing against Romano, I just don’t like Hank and Sarah together. I’d rather see Sarah with Mark or someone else altogether.

4. Brian says:

“Parenthood actor”.. Umm isn’t Ray Romano a bigger name than that? Just sayin…

• Zach says:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

• HAP says:

Assuming you are referring to his 210 episodes as the title character in a comedy series. But, I just noticed something. He’s already done more Parenthood episodes (32) than the entire run of Men Of A Certain Age(22).

• Temperance says:

He’s not to many of us. In fact, I’d be happy to never see him again on anything… his bizarre swallowed voice/tone is a scene-killer.

5. Joey Padron says:

Glad Jared is coming back to Mad Men for of last episodes. Guess they will have him back via flashback.

6. Sandy Lynn says:

I totally love Ray Romano on Parenthood and am hoping they continue the Sarah + Hank story arc. Also absolutely loved him on Men of a Certain Age, which should never have been cancelled.

7. herman1959 says:

The pilot sounds really interesting and different, and I respect Ray Ramano for branching out with respect to the types of roles he goes after. As for the Sarah/Hank story……I’m just not going there again!