Ratings: Arrow and Chicago P.D. Rise, Idol Dips, Modern Family and Nashville Hit Lows

Ratings CSI Spin-OffCBS’ planted, cyber crime-y CSI spin-off pilot on Wednesday night drew 10 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating (per finals), rising 10 percent in audience while matching the procedural’s last fresh outing.

Opening the Eye’s night, Survivor (9.6 mil/2.3) was flat, while Criminal Minds (10.3 mil/2.2) lost a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Elsewhere….

FOX | American Idol did 8.65 mil and a 1.9, slipping two tenths week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Top 5 Recap: Pay No Attention to the Kids in Front of the Curtain!

ABC | The Middle (7.1 mil/1.8) ticked down one tenth, Suburgatory (5.1 mil/1.5) dropped two tenths, Modern Family (8.3 mil/2.8) fell 14 and 20 percent (hitting a season low) and Mixology (3.7 mil/1.3) slipped two tenths. Nashville (4.5 mil/1.2) was down 13 and 20 percent, hitting a series low.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Feelin’ a Little Bit Crazy, Feelin’ Like She Wants to Be Bad

NBC | Revolution (4.4 mil/1.3) was flat, while SVU (6.1 mil/1.8) fell 18 and 14 percent, Chicago P.D. (7.2 mil/1.9) was up 11 and 19 percent.

RELATED | Arrow Recap: Did Laurel’s Journey Just Begin?

THE CW | Arrow (2.25 mil/0.8) inched up a tenth, while The 100 (1.9 mil/0.6) was flat.

1. Britt says:

I really like Nashville, so I hate to see it lose even more viewers.
    Also it must be nice to have your sports teams play on local channels :(

• Britt says:

Lastly, I don’t know if that CSI episode made me want to see the spinoff…

• Dakota says:

Totally agree. I’m not big Patricia Arquette fan. Her quirkiness comes off as weird to me, not interesting.

• MLO says:

Disagree with you both! Love Patricia Arquette and can’t wait to have her back on my screen on a regular basis. Liked the character, too.

• rawley says:

Me too! Although it’s considered a “DVR hit” and gains a lot of eyeballs that way so maybe it’ll be enough for a third season? Please ABC?

• N tTVf says:

No worries – I think Nashville will be renewed. ABC has plenty of other headaches to try to repair by Upfront later this month. Nashville is the least of ABC’s problems – of which it has quite a few.

The only question I have regarding Nashville is day/time slot. when it is renewed at Upfront, I would hope (expect?) ABC will move the show to another night. ABC needs to charge-up their Wednesday night lineup with some new blood, and that 10pm slot may be one place to start (as well as the obvious, and perhaps, most important 9:30/Wed slot).

• Katherine215 says:

A renewal for a 3rd season likely means ABC will end up renewing Nashville for 2 seasons so it reaches syndication. If the ratings are this low now, is it really worth it for them to do this?

• N tTVf says:

Good question. I think it all depends upon ‘the competition’. If ABC has some incredible shows in the pilot pipeline and they feel that those pilots have more potential than Nashville, then yes, they should go ahead and cancel Nashville and go with the new pilot instead.

The big question – how good are those ABC pilots? I remember that one season ten years ago – 2004/05, when ABC rolled out Desperate Housewives, Lost and Grey’s Anatomy all in one season – they also had another drama (Private Eyes) that was really good. That was a great season for ABC. They need another like that one right about now. If they have that caliber of pilots ready to go for 2014-15, then ABC may really turn the page and cancel their ‘bubble’ dramas and go with the ‘new stuff’.

Here’s the other factor, however, worth noting. In 2004-05, ABC was also ‘cleaning house’ on their mgmt staff, and some new blood (Steve M, Anne S) were coming on board, and they were ready to turn the page on the schedule. If Paul Lee (and others at ABC-TV) had been let go by ABC this past couple of months, I think we’d see a house-cleaning at ABC, including Nashville, SHIELD, maybe Revenge, certainly Neighbors, and Suburgatory and on-and-on.

But with Paul Lee and co. coming back with new contracts (we’ll see over time if that was a mistake), I don’t think they will want to cancel many of their ‘bubble shows’. If they did cancel them, I think that would be Paul Lee’s saying ‘I made a mistake on these shows,’ but now I won’t make that same mistake with these new ones.’ Hmmm. I think he has to ‘double-down’ and keep the shows he’s already placed on the schedule, and hope for the best. Me personally, I don’t like that strategy, and I think over time it will hurt ABC-TV, but that may be what ABC is left with at this point – more of the same.

• Katherine215 says:

I can maybe see some of that as a reason for renewing for a season, but the implication is that this will carry on for 2 more for syndication purposes. I’m not sure I see them dragging the show along for that long. But then, I’m hoping NBC does exactly that with Revolution, so who knows.

• N tTVf says:

Indeed, NBC is in a similar situation with Revolution. What makes it somewhat different for NBC is that they have a couple of newer dramas that they can point to and say, ‘we have things moving in the right direction’. Blacklist, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, even Grimm – these are all young series with a future, and they might be able to slot Revolution in that same pattern – newer series, once had big numbers, maybe placed in a better time slot, let’s give it a chance.

With NBC, the problem they have comes down to their comedies – what they have done to their comedy lineup over the past few years is hard to forgive. P&R is their best [only?] comedy. That’s not saying too much at this point since P&R is near the end of its run and the numbers… not what anyone would like. NBC has to ‘fix’ this – particularly on Thursday nights.

Regarding Revolution – I think it will come down to what NBC wants to do with that Thursday night lineup. When do they finally say, enough, we can’t/won’t schedule comedies on that night at this point. If they reach that point, then I think Revolution can and should be renewed and moved over to Thursday night along with Blacklist and Chicago ‘something’ and give NBC a new look on Thursday nights. To move just one drama over to Thursday is a mistake – they need to move en mass, three over and give all three a fighting chance together, and I think Revolution is one of those shows that could be moved – probably into that 8pm slot. 10pm Thursday slot is an option as well, but 8 pm is probably a better fit since that slot is hard to fill (for both NBC and ABC). 9pm needs to go to Blacklist so that it can become the NBC anchor show for Thursday nights.

The problem for Revolution (and Nashville, and 2Broke, and M&M) is that by year 3 or 4, you want to see a series become a ‘ 8 or 9pm anchor type show’ – something that can anchor down the night for new pilot series. Revolution is not that type of show (at least not yet) – Blacklist may be. So, Revolution is not that easy to move, as we see from the move this season from Monday to Wednesday. NBC can’t move Revolution back to Monday or even Tuesday – those slots need to go to new shows. Friday is ‘Grimm night’. Sunday – football. So, Revolution either goes back to 9pm/10pm on Wednesday, or over to Thursday, if NBC changes their comedy-lineup strategy there.

Not too many options for Revolution – but Thursday is intriguing.

• Apples says:

I think it’s a nailed on cancellation. If it is sliding into low 1s, it’ll be in CW territory next year or in the 4th season. No way does ABC waste money on that. Yes ABC has problem timeslots, but Nashville is one of those problems.

• N tTVf says:

You may be right – however, does ABC have something ‘better’ in the pilot pipeline and can ABC figure that out? Be careful, we’re talking about ABC here- this could be a trick question!! ;)

To me, that’s the key. Remember, this is the network of ‘Paul Lee and friends.’ They canceled Body of Proof last season because they thought ‘come on, we can do better.’ Unfortunately, they didn’t. ‘ Lucky 7′ anyone?

This is the network that renewed ‘The Neighbors’ – to be honest, probably because they want to keep the producer ‘on board’ and stay friends, and the show is ABC Television produced. Terrific – however, most people watching TV don’t even realize that ‘The Neighbors’ is still on the air, let alone watch the program.

This is the network that canceled ‘How to Live w/Parents’ because, “Don’t worry, we have something better to replace it.” Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ‘Super Fun Night.’

It’s ABC. What good is our logic at this point in determining what should be canceled and what should be renewed later this month? It’s ABC we’re talking about here – logic be damned!

Maybe that’s the tag line Jimmy Kimmel will use to introduce ABC at the Upfront in mid-May:

“Ladies and gentlemen, put your logic away, put all reason aside, I give you ABC-TV. Why are we in fourth place in a four horse race, where two of the other horses are limping? Why? Because it’s ABC!!”

• Apples says:

Well I don’t think the answer is to keep a failure on the air. Have their freshmen drama sucked lately? Sure. Does that mean they aren’t going to keep trying new pilots? No.
            This isn’t about subjective analysis of “good” shows or not, this is purely about the numbers. I don’t care about Paul Lee, or whatever their track record is. I don’t watch Nashville. I’m just looking at Nashville’s numbers, and what renewal will mean regarding syndication, and what ratings ABC is prepared to accept for its dramas…and I don’t see Nashville staying alive.

• drhenning says:

One thing Nashville has is its music which generates real money… ABC spent big money doing a show at LP Field (Titans Stadium) for the finale… Why would they do that for a dead show??? It’s more than ratings or watching the show itself… Plus serial shows like this often return soft after a layoff..

2. Jason says:

Arrow, just, wow!!!

• LynnH says:

I agree! I’m just sorry more people aren’t watching because week after week it’s outstanding. Last night’s show in particular.

3. Glenda says:

Imagine the #s Revolution would get in either Tuesday 10/9 central or Wednesday and Thursday same? NBC…Hello? Put Chicago clones, old Parenthood in 8/7 slots and your network gains viewers, ad$$$$$, and respect! Revolution is best on tv…only show that keeps you from changing channels, afraid you’ll miss a small nuance or metaphor. It’s a Kripke show…my God, who does it better?

• Ana says:

So basically you’re just making a biased guesses you have no way of backing up that you hope NBC agrees with?

• Glenda says:

No, I’m pointing out that old is old..and clones Chicago Pd,Chicago Fire–a re-worked ER..Parenthood , SVU ?family drama ?has played out..no good future..with Revolution you have possibilities, and with Kripke’s originality at the helm, you have substance and imagination.
        There is no guessing in regards to what support Revolution gets from the network compared to others. If NBC had the PR department the CW has, or the press access…would their viewership rise?
        That’s not bias..it’s common RL sense.

One more thing…what is anyone’s personal opinion BUT their bias? This is not news to network programmers.

• wyliesue62 says:

Agreed! Loved last night’s Revolution, it was amazing!

4. N tTVf says:

One of the things I look for when I look at ratings (particularly at this time of year just prior to Upfront) is the ebb and flow of the numbers within a network over the night. At this time of year, it is more ‘inter-network’ [within a network] and not ‘intra-network’ [network vs network in a given time slot] numbers that we’re looking at and analyzing.

A couple of shows pop out in Matt’s Wednesday night ratings recap – Mixology, SVU and Modern Family. For Mixology, there has been some chatter recently (from the producers?) about how Mixology is ‘growing’, with the overt hint [?] that the show might be worthy of Upfront renewal. But this show is holding onto very little of it’s lead-in numbers (MFamily), and its lead-out show, Nashville, actually builds upon the Mixology numbers, even though as a ten o’clock show, one would assume DVR+ numbers will be a larger factor for Nashville then for Mixology. What do the numbers tell us? The most obvious, is that viewers switch channels at 9:30 on Wednesday nights, from ABC to another network and then back to ABC. That’s not good … for ABC, and certainly not good for Mixology.

For SVU, always one of my favorites (the ‘Mariska factor’), it must be noted that not only has NBC not issued a renewal order yet for SVU (contract and cost factors?), but that the SVU lead-out ratings for Chicago PD are greater than SVU. That’s always a key factor for ten o’clock show vs a nine o’clock show – the assumption that the DVR+ numbers will be greater at 10pm than 9pm. Hence, the final ratings gap between SVU and Chicago PD will be even larger than we now see. That’s not a good sign. One show is on the way up (and less costly at this point), and the other on the way down.

At this point, I’m quite certain ‘Mixology’ will not be renewed by ABC, and it may be over for SVU – they may get a short-order from NBC of 9-13 episodes next fall to wrap things up, and then they’ll close shop.

And that leaves Modern Family. No secret here – the show is now on the back side of their arc. This is no longer an 11 m viewer/3.5 show week-in-week-out, it just isn’t any longer. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a very good show for ABC, but it does mean that ABC needs to start thinking about how best to maximize the value of Modern Family asap – particularly in that 9:30 slot.

Modern Family is now in its 5th season – maybe this series (due to the size of its cast) cannot last another round of contract negotiations? A spin-off? Maybe too late. This may be a 7 or 8 year type run, which means another couple of seasons. ABC (should) must be aware of this, and the selection of new pilots around Modern Family on Wednesday nights this fall season is critical. ABC continues to swing and miss with the placement of a new show in this post-Modern Family 9:30 slot. Paul Lee and the ABC brass must remedy this problem quickly – May Upfront is Paul Lee’s opportunity to show that Disney/ABC mgmt’s faith in him is well founded. They need a hit at 9:30/Wed. ‘soon.’

• Boiler says:

ABC has 2 comedies on Tuesday that both would have worked better with Modern Family. Why they didn’t do that is beyond my comprehension. I both love and hate ABC

• N tTVf says:

Yep, I agree 100%. And now, it’s too late. They really can’t move Trophy Wife or Goldbergs over to Wednesday now, because they/ABC will need (at least) those two slots on Wednesday to protect the two new comedies they’ll need to introduce in the fall. They wasted a good opportunity and did both TW and Gold a disservice. Simply bad tv programming-101 decisions.

ABC could have at least given both TW and Gold a shot at those Wed spots for just a week or two this past season – instead nothing but neglect. TW is probably done now, and if ABC doesn’t keep that second comedy night on Tuesday – and they may not be able to if they keep SHIELD, then (I assume) Goldbergs will move to Friday at 8:30 – that’s all that is left open [assuming they finally get serious about their programming jobs and cancel Neighbors.]

ABC is one of those networks that does some things very well (Scandal, OUAT, Castle, Revenge in the recent few years), and does some things quite badly – BoP, Happy Endings on one side of the ledger; Neighbors, Super Fun Night, Lucky 7 on the other side.

5. Beth says:

Loved the One Chicago conclusion. These two shows are probably my favorite on TV but I am against them adding a Chicago MD, I may be the only one, but I felt like they were trying to do a back door pilot. It would be too jumbled and ruin the integrity of the franchise plus there was a hospital show based in Chicago, it was called ER :)

• Claudia says:

Actually there were two hospital shows based in Chicago. The other was called Chicago Hope. How quickly we forget.

• Beth says:

I did forget! I was more of am ER fan :)

• N tTVf says:

Agree with you completely on creating a ‘Chicago MD’. Better to leave well enough alone. What’s next? ‘Chicago Law’? Then ‘Chicago OHare’, and ‘Chicago Postal’, and then ‘Chicago Dog Catchers’, and then …

Unfortunately, this is the law of television – “when you have some success, you don’t leave it alone, you milk it for everything its got. ” ;)

That said, NBC has to be feeling pretty good right now about Chicago Fire and PD. I’m happy since it allows one of my favorites, Sophia Bush, to be back on TV and on magazine covers at the news stand. So, I guess we may be seeing a Chicago MD somewhere down the road after all. Starring? How about Kate Walsh, if her new NBC comedy pilot [Bad Judge] doesn’t get picked up late this month.

• Jillian says:

You were not the only one who felt a backdoor pilot vibe!

6. Katherine215 says:

Super excited for Revolution, though I hope it doesn’t adjust down because of basketball. And I hope it’s not too little, too late…
    Also pleasantly surprised at The 100’s consistent retention. That show continues to surprise me with how dark it goes, and I’m happy to see it. I just really don’t like the love triangle. Clarke and Finn together is way more interesting than that dumb triangle.

7. Name That Tune says:

In terms of total viewers for AI, we 8.65 million is not a series low, and two weeks ago total viewers were down to 8.38. That’s definitely the lowest the show has ever been for a performance show. Results nights have been skewing much lower for weeks now.
    The demo is deifinitely hitting series lows. It was still in ranging between 3 and 4 until the end of February. So adults between the ages of 18-49 have changed their viewing habits andn are no longer catching the show live. And they aren’t catching it on DVR. If that age group is watching, they are doing it on Hulu or YouTube.

• Mr. Zero TV says:

You got it right on AI – now the question is, does FOX see the same patterns you (and many of us here at TVLine) are starting to see? Indeed, AI has not just lost overall viewers, but the ‘demo’ viewers, and with it, the water cooler buzz, if not the social media buzz.

Is the show worth the 18-49 demo’s time any longer? What is it, a 2 hour or 1.5 hour show? Can I (or you) just access YouTube or Hulu or some other system and get the same info and a quick view of the key performances/highlights of the show and only take 15 minutes? If I can get the gist of the show in 15 minutes, just looking at the highlights, is the show worth my 2 hours of time each week?

That is what FOX has to figure out in the next two weeks prior to Upfront. Maybe bring AI back, but bring it back as a much faster, more efficient show of 1 hour a week. That would force FOX to start green-lighting more new pilots for the post-AI era, which is fast approaching.

• Name That Tune says:

The interesting thing about this is to look at what The Voice has chosen to do. They accept that their audience is not going to sit still for 2 hours every week to watch the show. Performances are up very quickly on Hulu and YouTube – while voting is still active.
        Someone in the marketing department is tracking all those hits. And if you are an advertiser, do you care if the only performance you watch is by Sissaundra and you have watched it 50 times? Because you saw my commercial 50 times while it was playing.

8. wrstlgirl says:

Come on Revolution!!!!!

9. Badpenny says:

I enjoyed the two-part Chicago Fire/PD episodes but these guys need to get some of the Chicago facts straight. Chicago and Kankakee are 60 miles apart. Neither the Chicago Police of Firemen would be involved with an incident going on in Kankakee, so there would be no reason for the terrorist to want to take revenge on the Chicago groups for what happened there.
    It is great that they’re trying to involve some of the local areas but there are many communities closer to Chicago that would make a lot more sense.

10. Willow says:

It amazes me how much TV viewing has changed, even in two years. Advertisers and networks are going to have to realize that DVRing, and outlets like Comcast On Demand is changing the landscapes of network TV, and nightly ratings are going to be almost useless, because these numbers are crazy.

11. Elyse says:

Yay for the 100! I’m glad to see it steady at a .6! I know its a long shot but I hope the CW renews it.

• Daniel says:

TVLine has it as “A safe bet” in their renewal scorecard, so I hope that’s right!

• Elyse says:

Your comment just reminded me I want to see what the cancel bear is saying on twitter! — the bear says it’s safe too! I hope they’re right! :)

12. Pat says:

I really liked CSi last night. If they are going to do a spin-off with Patricia Arquette, then I say go for it, because I will be watching. Also, Arrow had me jumping out of my skin, so two thumbs up on this episode! Modern Family was pretty good and I am sorry to see that viewership numbers ticked down some. It still makes me laugh and that is a good thing for me.

13. Robby Horine says:

SVU was weak last night. It was like the writing team realized that they were 55 minutes in and had a choice to arrest Olivia and have it a two-parter or a quick convenient McGuffin. And Donal Louge was there to give it. A (as far as SVU goes) happy ending.

As for Mr. Louge, Gotham’s gain is SVU’s loss. He’s brought in a breath of fresh air when the cast seems to be going through the motions. I thought the guy was just a comic. He’s been showing some serious acting chops as of late.

14. Jenna says:

Idk, I like Patricia Arquette a lot, but the CSI formula has lost its charm. There are just too many other better crime genre shows on tv now, especially on BBC. I just don’t like the caricatures associated with the CBS procedurals, and all the posturing that goes on. I’ve tried to stay with CSI after Grissom left, but it’s not working for me. I wish Patricia Arquette luck, and I get that cyber crimes are a fertile playground for writers, but I don’t trust CBS to do the show justice.

15. majamababe says:

Really liked the CSI spin-off. Hope it is on the fall schedule for a full season.

16. qj201 says:

Overnight ratings are so last century. Call me when the DVR+7 data is in.

• Name That Tune says:

Except some shows are not candidates for DVR+7. Their audience is tied to the moment. American Idol is one of those shows and its ratings don’t alter in the DVR+7 category. And neither do sporting events like Sunday night or Thursday night games.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Besides, why look at a number that advertisers disregard and ultimately has little effect on renewal…?

• N tTVf says:

The ratings, including the overnights, are paying the bills. They matter – no way out. I know all things are digital now, and we need to ‘think young’ and ‘the new’ and embrace streaming and dynamic ‘scheduling’ via DVRs and social media and ‘likes’ and ‘yelps’ and ‘tweets’. But…

But money talks – that never changes. Technology only enhances the old fact that ‘money talks’. And the money is coming from the advertisers, particularly (and still) on television, and TV shows (at least for now) are living and dying on ratings as advertisers write the checks [or send the money via smart phones, to use the more 'youth-oriented' terminology]. ;)

• Name That Tune says:

So I watched Hulu this morning to catch some American Idol performances. Do you realize that before every song a commercial played?
        The advertisers are catching on to the game. It’s not all about ratings. On Demand services count too.

• N tTVf says:

Yes, you are correct, and I understand that the advertisers are catching on to where the customer base [particularly the young] is moving towards – social media, Facebook, Twitter, and the streaming services – Hulu, Netflix, etc. But is the money there??

As part of our job here (a relatively small part), we’ve got every OTT service, every type of antenna hook-up, every streaming service, etc. running in our ‘lab’ in support of a customer base and their home security/utility/entertainment/triple play needs. So, I’ve seen (or will see) pretty much every combination of services and hardware/software in this space… Hulu as well. It’s all good – don’t get me wrong, it’s all good.

However, if you were to ask the Hulu guys, ‘how are things going?’, I think they might tell you ‘not always so good.’ I don’t believe they are making that much money from the advertisers. That may change, but thus far? I recall NBC/FOX/etc. wanted to spin off Hulu into an IPO back in 2012. It didn’t happen – probably because the monetary mechanism of Hulu (ad supported content and some subs.) is not what they had hoped – its not enough. That’s why they wanted to spin it/Hulu out of their companies, and that’s why the investment community didn’t show up to invest in it – the ads are not enough on that Hulu platform – the money is not there – at least not yet.

The advertisers don’t see the value – if they did, they’d drop the broadcast networks in a minute. At this point, they can’t. Netflix? We’ll see – the folks behind ‘Orange/Black’ and ‘House of Cards’ are starting to ask for more money for their shows – Netflix is going to need to ‘pony up’ pretty soon, or go back to showing old movies on demand (and lose money doing it). The money is not there – no ads that generate enough dollars to cover content costs.

On demand/subscription service can only take you so far – eventually, you need content – new, compelling content, and that costs money – big money. The only people thus far who have really found a way to push around that ‘big money’ for media content, is the advertisers, and they go where the potential to make big money is – that’s still broadcast TV and the mass audiences, especially for the ‘live’ stuff- sports and big events. If there is any doubt where the big money goes, ask the folks at Hulu.

Remember, when all else fails, ‘follow the money.’

• Name This Tune says:

Don’t forget that On Demand content is available from more than Hulu, you have YouTube and the network’s themselves making their shows available online.

It’s an evolving world. Viewing habits are changing. Because very few shows are able to keep their demo above 2.0.

The viewers haven’t gone anywhere. They are just exercising their options. Broadcast networks have to adapt to changing technology.

17. lululime says:

Nashville is entertaining. It’s very different from what it was when it premiered, but I still enjoy it.

18. Ms Thing says:

After watching the CSI episode, I can’t wait to see Patricia Arquette back on primetime. Come on, CBS, make it happen!

19. DavidSask says:

SVU needs to have shortened final season or 2 part movie finale. Nashville although I like if not doing well in other countries needs to be put to rest and have finale movie as well. ABC as all has said need to fix their comedy line ups as they are weak and their programming head should be fired!

• Mr. Zero TV says:

In complete agreement – not to dump on Paul Lee, but he is head of ABC programming, and low and behold, he just got a contract extension! WHAT!!??? Only in Hollywood!! :)

So, that’s what we are all awaiting – what will PL and his mgmt team do at ABC in a couple of weeks at Upfront? Abandon ship and start fresh, or stay the course (and maybe sink later)?

We’ll know in two weeks in mid May at Upfront in NY.

• Robby Horine says:

Any final SVU season/movie must give Olivia a happy ending. No character in the L&O universe has had a harder road. She needs to go out on top.

20. JB Smooove says:

I feel like mod fam is losing its luster. cosigners?

21. SK says:

Although I did like CSI, I hope this spin-off does not happen if Intelligence will be cancelled for it. Intelligence is really, really good! CBS, please give renew Intelligence!

22. Clifton says:

That had to be the worst show I have ever seen.
    I was embarrassed for arquette.