Nashville Recap: Feelin' a Little Bit Crazy, Feelin' Like She Wants to Be Bad

Nashville Season 2 Recap Scarlett loses her stuff but grows a mean streak in this week’s Nashville, and the nastiness spreads among her family, friends and colleagues like norovirus on a cruise ship: quickly and leaving everyone a little shaky in its wake.

Meanwhile, Will and Layla decide whether or not they want to be the next Kardashians and Juliette makes her absolute worst decision yet, and it involves someone whose name rhymes with “jerky myrtle.” Read on for what happens in “Your Good Girl’s Gonna Go Bad.”

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

THE BLAME GAME | Though it’s been a month since the last new episode, we pick up right where we left off: with Avery carrying an insensate Scarlett off stage while she flops around like a carp. Juliette & Co. hustle her to the jet and fly her back to Nashville, where Deacon and Rayna are waiting to escort her to a private clinic. All poor Ju wants is someone to toss her a thank you for her role in Operation: Blondie Goes Loco, but Rayna just kind of dismisses her as they all – including Avery – make for the hospital.

I honestly don’t think Rayna means much by it; after all, she’s too busy dealing with Deacon shooting her death glances and outright blaming her for pushing his niece too hard. And Deke, for his part, is busy trying to corral his loony sister Beverly, who claims her daughter had a psychotic break and is cursed with the same mental instability that plagued Bev and her own mother.

But don’t worry, Beverly has some choice words for Rayna, too. Turns out, she’s never been a fan. (Bucky got a chuckle out of me for the speed with which he beats it the heck outta there the moment the two women confront each other.) All you really need to know about the conversation is that at one point, Rayna says, “Girrrrrrrrrrrrrl, you have got so much nerve,” – and you can hear every single “r” in there – and that she shuts down Bev’s accusations by coming in close and dropping her voice an octave as she warns, “You find somebody else to tangle with, you hear?”

RELATED | Your May Finales Calendar: What’s Ending When?

CRAZY IS AS CRAZY DOES | The whole awful situation erupts when Scarlett surfaces out of her sedation, realizes she’s tied down to her bed and makes a break for it. (Side note: Who untied her?) Rayna, Beverly and Deacon chase after her, and while Deke runs interference with his sister – who hilariously cries out, “Do not make me chase you in these shoes!” — Rayna calms the skittish blonde, who claims she’d just mixed alcohol with too many of the uppers Liam gave her and that she is not crazy. Rayna gets the understatement-of-the-night award when she replies, “I know. But honey, you’re standing out here in a field in your hospital gown. It’s not making a good case for you.”

Over the next 24 hours, Scarlett realizes exactly how bad her meltdown was (thanks to some online videos with impeccable sound recordings), throws a sympathetic Juliette out of her room and sobs on Zoey’s shoulder. After the doctors clear her as both sane and not an addict of any sort, she finally gets the courage to tell Rayna that she doesn’t want to be a Highway 65 artist anymore. And Rayna, her face betraying not one inkling of the intense financial loss her fledgling company will now withstand because this flighty chick couldn’t put on her big girl pants the first OR second time this conversation came around, merely smiles and lets Scarlett out of her contract. Scar then signs herself out and gently but firmly orders her mother to go back home.

One more thing: The night before, Avery has a spat with a jealous Juliette and spends the night sleeping by Scarlett’s bed. In the morning, they have a chat about how he was her first love and how she’ll always have “a permanent piece of my heart”… and unbeknownst to Avery, Ju overhears the entire thing.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

MY EYES! MY EYES! | So then our Juliette does what she always does when she’s hurt: drinks too much and does something super avoidable and super stupid. At an industry party, she parks herself in front of an ice luge (heh), commiserates with Jeff Fordham – of ALL people – and then joins him in a back room for a little session of “How Quickly Can You Make My Record Go Platinum?” We see his smirky turtle lips on her neck and his smirky turtle paws on her thighs and honestly? This is the absolute worst thing you’ve done, Miss Juju. You even sang about this very situation in a song! “Trouble is/one more fireball/when I’m already lit/and it’s last call.” It pains me to use your lyrics against you, honey, but that’s what you get when you unshell the turtle. Even worse, Gunnar – who earlier in the episode turns down Jeff’s offer of a lucrative Edgehill writing contract – totally catches the pair post-act.

REALITY CHECK | Layla thinks it’s a great idea to let a reality show follow her and Will around. Will is, understandably, not as psyched about the proposition… especially after Jeff all but comes out and says he knows Will is gay. But Will doubles down and agrees, so set your DVRs for ‘Til Inevitable Sexuality Reveal Do Us Part: Will and Layla!

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? What do you think Scarlett’s future looks like? What was your take on Gunnar’s new, Scarlett-inspired song? And there’s no way Avery and Juliette will last when/if he finds out about her party fling, right? Sound off in the comments!

1. tee says:

at the end you put scarlett instead of juliette! just FYI.

love your recap as always :)

• N tTVf says:

I wanted to echo that sentiment by ‘tee’ – ‘KR’ always does a nice job with these Nashville recaps. I don’t always have the time to look at what’s on my DVR for these mid-week/10pm series, but just reading KRs recaps of Nashville keeps me up to date on the series and I feel as if I’ve watched the show in about 1.5 minutes of time it takes me to read the recap. Nice! ;) thank u KR.

2. Diane Phaneuf says:

Last sentence: I think you meant “Avery and Juliette”….

3. Chablis says:

What does this mean for Scarlett now?

• ? says:

Hopefully it means a return to the Scarlett-Gunnar partnership/performing duo. She said she didn’t want to be a star with the lifestyle and all the pressures that entails, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t want to be a successful artist. It’s a very different thing to be Taylor Swift than it is to be one half of The Civil Wars.

• Jenny says:

Exactly I’m thinking it means she’ll go back to songwriting for the time being, maybe partnering up with Gunnar and perhaps performing together again.

4. Riana says:

Scarlett needs to stop ruining Avery and Juliette.

• miri says:

Ms. Juju needs to stop sabotaging herself. Nothing to do with Scarlett. And I am all for Avery-Juliette pairing.

• I think she sabotages herself but that’s only because that’s what she thinks people expect of her. The low expectations, and her own low self esteem (all of that thinking that she’s not good enough for everyone, and that everyone who loves her always leaves) makes her think she’s not worth good things, and so she just ends up screwing herself over. I was beginning to think that Avery was helping to show her that she was amazing and that she deserved good, but this drama with Scarlett has just sucked her back down into her old insecurities.

• Scarlett did NOTHING to interfere with Juliette and Avery. She simply trusts Avery and has a history with him- he is probably one of the few people she still trusts after everything that has happened. It’s not like she was trying to steal him from Juliette. Avery and Scarlett may have a romantic past, but now they’re relationship is completely platonic. Leave it to Juliette to over react and land herself in a mess. She made her bed for herself and now she can lie in it.

5. the girl says:

I both love and hate how swiftly Juliette gets shut down every time she tries to be nice. First Layla, now Scarlett. Juliette was being pretty selfish to want attention during what was a very stressful and difficult time but I also believe that’s the best and most genuine effort towards kindness she’s taken in a while. Avery was also insensitive, it wasn’t that long ago when Juliette admitted to being vulnerable and insecure, and he didn’t take that into account at all in this scenario. As much as Scarlett needed him, his relationship needed him too.

• Geo says:

Yeah, I didn’t have much sympathy for Avery this time. He owed it to Juliette to at least have an honest conversation about why he felt he needed to spend so much time with Scarlett, but in the scenes we saw he sure didn’t look like he wanted to talk or communicate much– just more like: “I’m home, I’m tired, sorry you’re upset, oh well, back to the hospital and Scarlett.” Seriously, if you were in a relationship with someone and they suddenly started spending all their time with a former lover (even if that lover was in crisis), if they really cared for you, wouldn’t they kind of owe you at least a real conversation about what was up? It’s not like Avery’s the only person who could watch over Scarlett in this situation, so I think it’s reasonable for anyone dating him to wonder why he feels he has to be the one to spend the night with his former lover. I know that lately Avery’s been portrayed as “Mr. Good Guy,” but, here, I’m on Team Juliette.

• CoryRox says:

I would have to agree with you. Also, Juliette’s insecurities were magnified x10 when Avery rejected her in bed. Not cool dude. I will have to say that I screamed at the tv when Ju hooked up with Jeff. Come on girl! How many bad decisions can you keep making??

• MA says:

So wait…Avery should have sex with Juliette when he doesn’t want to so that she doesn’t feel insecure…really??

6. K says:

Does anyone know the name of the song Rayna was singing at the end of the episode?

7. justme says:

lol/loved your norovirus on a cruise ship analogy

8. Amber says:

I’m so mad. Avery and Juliette are the only things I’m really liking about this show and now they are ruined

• I don’t think they’re necessarily ‘ruined’ or at least if they break up I hope they still end up having scenes together. The possibilities for angst and pain and hurt and BEAUTIFUL song writing are there though and I can’t wait for them.

9. miri says:

I loved when both Deacon and Scarlett finally told Beverly off. So satisfying.

Too disgusting to watch Juliette spiral that low…ugh. First Scarlett and now I feel like I am watching Juliette start the spiral down.

I laughed when the DJ said all the drama is what makes Nashville keep running.

seeing the previews, I am a little concerned for next week.

10. Claire says:

Loved Rayna in this episode! (woah that song)…her chemistry with Beverly is awesome…and poor Juliette. I feel for her….

11. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks for
    supplying this information.

12. Deacon and Beverly have it out! Deacon and Rayna talk – agan! Feeling sorry for Juliette, even if does stupid things. Just perfect!

13. GeoDiva says:

Ohhh…JuJu what have you done?

14. Great recap. I really really hope that Avery/Juliette can work through this. So incredibly painful though.

Loved the Rayna/Deacon moment where Rayna told him Scarlett was family.

And though I guess this was supposed to ‘redeem’ Scarlett, the episode just made me annoyed. She took the blame for her problems right at the end but she upset Juliette a whole lot before that. I didn’t enjoy that much.

Gunnar sticking up for Scarlett was great though, and his song… beautiful! But I felt awful for Zoey.

15. Liza says:

I was loving the Juliette and Avery pairing, but I don’t see how they will make it through all of this. Still shocked she did it with Jeff!!!!

• At least sleeping with Jeff wasn’t ‘emotional cheating’. If she’d cheated with someone like Charlie Wentworth where there were previous feelings imo it would have been worse. But with Jeff at least we know it’s because Juliette’s in a place of bad insecurities and low self esteem, rather than using Jeff as a way of getting back at Avery.

• Saabgirlatx says:

When I saw Juliette at the party alone, and then the camera panned to swarmy Jeff, I knew it would be bad. Thing is, Jeff is so desperate he’ll prolly use it against Juliette and HW65!

As so Scarlett’s story, I’m glad she sent momma home, but I was hoping for Scarlett or deke to explain to momma that she antagonizes Scarlett the most.

16. Karon Warren says:

Why does Rayna’s label continue to financially struggle? Didn’t she & Tandy inherit Lamar’s fortune after he passed? After all, the Feds dropped their investigation, so his accounts would no longer be frozen, and, thus, passed to his daughters upon his death.

• Pearl says:

Er… Good question, never thought about it. Unless Lamar left his accounts for his granddaughters…

17. CK says:

I love this show, but do we have to go back to the “Juliette sleeps with every male character, because she is awful/emotionally messed up storyline”. If you want to make her a sexually liberated country starlet, do it. However, please don’t try to shame her behavior by making it all the result of her insecurities. It’s tiring and really loses it’s value around the 5th guy (Deacon,Dead Manager Guy, Charlie, Avery, potential new assistant guy, Jeff) or so. They really are going to have to make her sleep with Teddy, Glenn, Will or Gunnar at the rate that they are going.

• Amy in KC says:

Ew, gross…Juliette and Glenn would be even worse than Juliette and Jeff, which I didn’t think was possible. He is like a father to her.

Juliette and Teddy makes me laugh, though. (But also gross.)

18. First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question
    which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious
    to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I have had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my
    thoughts out. I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15
    minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any ideas or hints? Many thanks!

19. shar says:

Why, why, why, why??? Juliette??? I hate what happened with her. I love Juliette and Avery together. I hate Scarlett and Avery together. What is going to happen?? Very disappointed right now.

20. Dillon says:

“…that’s what you get when you unshell the turtle” is an amazing phrase. Another recap well done, Roots!

21. CJ says:

I admit I loled at the Juliet and Jeff. I actually think they’re perfect for each other. They both hate everything about Nashville but the music. Theirs is a case of same polarity repelling. If they ever got together for real, they’d either be together forever or kill each other.

22. What is the name of the song Gunnar sang?

23. JAO says:

I think ‘It Ain’t Yours to Throw Away.’ Great song.

24. amy says:

Whoever mentioned Juliette’s man list: lol you forgot Randy in s1, the producer guy for Boys and Busses. that scene with Jeff made me puke in my mouth a little, but I think the funniest was Gunner’s golf outfit. That hat should be outlawed!

25. amy says:

Oh yeah and Sean she married too!

26. Phyllis Strickland says:

20 minutes of my life I will never get back! Thank god for Tivo and fast forward. Why do I keep watching this train wreck of a show??? It’s the same thing over and over, except now is is Scarlett and her Mom and disaster. I really need to stop watching this when there is actual quality TV to watch, but I’m hooked and I can’t stop. I keep thinking that these characters will wise up and things will go well for them… and I will be glad I continued to watch…

27. Nashville fan says:

What was up with everyone blaming Juliette for Scarlette’s breakdown? Avery acted like a drip, too. He didn’t need to spend the night keeping a watchful eye on Scarlette. He could have just stopped by in the morning. Juliette should never have signed on with Rayna because it!s obvious that Rayna never did respect her. Maybe Jeff doesn’t either, but at least he wants his people to succeed. Juliette should just focus on her career, and Avery should focus on his career. He acted like he blamed Juliette for Scarlette’s breakdown. I would have told him to get lost after the way he acted. Why was he “tired”?

28. Hermit says:

Getting tired of this show. The whole Scarlet drama is beyond boring and now we’re back to the same old Juliette shenanigans right after we were given some hope for character development and new storylines.

29. Celina says:

I love Nashville, but I hate when they take a couple that the fans love and destroy it without chance of returning. Really, the Juliette-Avery relationship didn’t last a month. They were finally doing a good relationship, that didn’t start with sex (because Avery dind’t want it), but with friendship, then it grew into romantic feelings and respect, and then Juliette had sex with a guy that she hates. I hated this. VERY MUCH

30. Grady says:

Does anyone know what song was playing when they showed next week’s previews?

• NF says:

I think the song they were playing was “How You Learn to Live Alone”… think it was a song that Avery (Jonathan Jackson) sang earlier in the season. Is also on the season 2 volume one soundtrack.

31. Sandy says:

I hope that Juliette and Avery can get past what happened with her and Jeff. He’s a slime, and Avery bears some responsibility for what happened. He knows Juliette is insecure, and he goes and spends the night at Scarlett’s bedside?