What's Next For MTV's Faking It? The Stars Talk Secrets, Sacrifices and a 'Lesbian Sherpa'

Faking It SpoilersLast night’s series premiere of Faking It ended with Hestor High’s new “it” couple solidifying their fake relationship with a public make-out session. But how long will Amy and Karma really be able to keep up this charade?

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

TVLine spoke with the MTV comedy’s stars — Katie Stevens, Rita Volk and Gregg Sulkin — to find out what we can expect from the rest of the season, including which character is harboring more secrets than we know.

AMY’S ‘SACRIFICES’ | As you might expect, Amy’s feelings for Karma will propel their fake relationship from ‘complicated’ to ‘out of control,’ and all the lying will take a toll on them. “At the end of the day, Amy just wants her friend to fit in and get all the normal things that high-school girls want,” Volk explains. “But in the process, Amy sacrifices a lot of who she is and what she wants. She’s lying to everyone, including herself.”

LIAM’S ‘SECRETS’ | “You’ll definitely learn that he has a few secrets throughout the season,” Sulkin says of the seemingly perfect Liam. “He’s a likable guy, but his family situation isn’t ideal. Towards the end of the season — and if we, hopefully, get picked up for a second season — you’ll see more of Liam’s background. It’s been fun playing a character that’s not so one-dimensional.”

Faking It SpoilersSHANE’S PLAN | Shane (Michael Willett) isn’t going to leave the girls high-and-dry after outing them. No, sir. “Shane is going to take Amy on a little journey to figure out whether she likes boys or girls,” executive producer Carter Covington tells us. “[He'll] be what we call her lesbian sherpa to help her figure this all out.”

KARMA’S MELODIES | Karma finally whips out her guitar in Episode 3, but don’t expect much singing beyond that — for now, at least. “It’s important for me to separate [acting from singing],” Stevens explains. “There won’t be more singing in Season 1, but I think they might bring in something like that for Season 2. They added it once I came on board, and I like that they incorporated that into the show.”

LAUREN’S DEAL | “Lauren is the bitch character, but she has heart, and there’s a reason she is the way she is,” Volk says of Bailey Buntain’s on-screen troublemaker. “You’ll see that as we go through Season 1.” Adds Sulkin, “She wants love, and she thinks that by gaining power, she’ll find love. There’s a soft side to her that she doesn’t like to show.”

PARENTAL CONTROL | Future episodes will also introduce Amy and Karma’s parents, some of whom aren’t quite ready to join #TeamKarmy. “Episode 2 is all about Amy worrying about her mother’s disapproval,” Covington teases. “The finale takes place at Amy’s mother’s and Lauren’s father’s wedding. What I really want to show is that it takes a while for parents to accept their kids when they come out of the closet so it won’t be a one-episode-and-we’re-done revolution. That’s going to take a while to figure itself out.”

Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. Elyse says:

“Executive Producer Carter Covington”… like Hart of Dixie? is that character named after an HOD EP? you learn something new everyday…

• Vlada Gelman says:

Yes, HOD’s Carter Covington is named after one of the show’s former writers/EPs, the real Carter Covington.

• ROMANS 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through THE LUSTS OF THEIR OWN HEARTS, to DISHONOR THEIR OWN BODIES between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: FOR EVEN THEIR WOMEN DID CHANGE THE NATURAL USE INTO THAT WHICH IS AGAINST NATURE:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, BURNED IN THEIR LUST ONE TOWARD ANOTHER; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves the consequences (((((((((( OF THEIR ERROR )))))))))) which was meet.

• Elyse says:

Thanks but no thanks for your input. I choose love over hate!

• Kitsunay says:

Your close-mindedness is really not appreciated here… I think you are contradicting yourself, your hate will only lead you to loneliness and “hell”.

• awesome says:

god loves all of his children and regaurdless and if you didn’t have anything nice to say you shouldn’t have commented at all .

• Whitney says:

ROMANS 1:24 Wherefore Lady Gaga also gave them up to heroin through THE KIBBLE OF THEIR OWN DOGS, to TRAIN THEIR OWN BREEDW between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of Bon Jovi into a bad 80s song, and rocked out and teased the hair of the creature more than Bon Jovi who is blessed for ever. Amen

26 For this cause Hindu gas station guy gave slushies up for vile affections: FOR EVEN THEIR WOMEN DID CHANGE THE ICEE MACHINE AND USE INTO THAT WHICH IS AGAINST NATURE: 😯

27 And likewise also the women, leaving the natural use of themselves, BURNED IN THEIR LUST ONE TOWARD ANOTHER; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves the party to which transpired shortly there after. #orgiesrock

2. Jenna says:

I didn’t mind the pilot but I must admit I was quite horrified at Shane for outing them without any proof that they were actually gay. That was probably the only downside of the episode for me.

• Jeannine Rae says:

Okay look I like the chemistry between Karma and Amy. But the premise “faking it as lesbians to achieve some short term award/status” kind of is a bit of an insult to gays and gay rights, like really using gays to move up in the social ladder? Shallow. But after seeing the first episode, I have to say I like where this is going, I like the character of Amy a lot and can see the complications she’s about to face. Really only hoping that Kiam doesn’t really happen and Karmy does because that would really then make it different. Like for once it’s not about boys and girls and that kind of heterosexual song and dance, it’s time for a new romance.

3. Riana says:

I hope for real Karmy by the end of season. If they play their cards right, they could have the next South of Nowhere on their hands.

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, BURNED IN THEIR LUST ONE TOWARD ANOTHER; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves the consequences (((((((((( OF THEIR ERROR )))))))))) which was JUSTIFIED.

• Jes says:

Please go read every word in that pocket bible and then throw it back in the drawer it stays in until you need this paraphrased crap. Thank ya sir…

4. ROMANS 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through THE LUSTS OF THEIR OWN HEARTS, to DISHONOR THEIR OWN BODIES between themselves:

5. Fido says:

I thought it was a load of fun and planned to follow the series. Then I caught the end of ep preview of the coming season, during which they appeared to give away EVERY single important plot twist, so now there does not seem to be any point, darn it. :(

6. Kitsunay says:

I loved the pilot, it was a sweet moment at the end, though I am really not liking Karma very much. I hope that Amy and Karma do actually become a couple, one can already see that Amy realized she liked the kiss a bit too much. xD
    I do want to know Liam’s background more, it is really insulting to say “I’ll turn her straight”. I teared up once they showed Amy’s face when she saw Liam and Karma kissing.

7. dreamlife613 says:

I thought it was cute and I think the two lead actresses have great chemistry. I like that one of them is actually, possibly, maybe a lesbian and not just faking it.

Also, I am happy to see that the intolerant character is in the minority at the high school.

One thing I find amusing is how similar Karma and the actress from Awkward look. At first, I thought they were the same actress.

8. awesome says:

I REALLY love this tv show and i can’t wait until the upcoming episodes. Honestly, from the look on Karma’s face.. i don’t think she’s faking it anymore but Amy clearly is. I really love how you can read their face expressions . But lez be real, Karma did enjoy that kiss a bit too much i really hope Karmy happens by the end of the season and they end up getting serious and not faking it anymore . To me it seems that Liam is trying to turn Amy straight because he knew that Amy was going out with Karma and he kissed her anyway and didn’t look a bit sorry when she told him that they broke up. I’m looking forward to more of the show .