The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut This Week? [Updated]

The Voice - Season 6Growing up, my mom always had verrrry strong ideas about wearing white after Labor Day. She did not, however, provide me with any guidance about the protocol for rocking a sheer body stocking with not-entirely-opaque undergarments, an eye-popping look that Shakira sported as she half-sang, half-mouthed her rockin’ new single “Empire” tonight on The Voice‘s Top 12 results telecast.

RELATED | The Voice Top 12 Performance Recap: Waiting on the Set List to Change

Perhaps the prayers of easily offended viewers made their way to whatever deity rules the world of reality-competition series. (God, it should be noted, spends the 8:30-9:30 Tuesday hour reading Mindy Project fan fiction. It’s true because I read it in Ask Ausiello.) Or maybe said entity was offended by a talented vocalist making like a RuPaul’s Drag Race contestant and lipsynching for her life. Whatever the case, poor Shaki found two-thirds of her team in terrifying jeopardy before the night was over.

Then again, if there was some kind of cosmic/fashion retribution in play, how come Adam Levine’s team went totally unscathed in the gross, autumnal glow of his vomit-colored ’70s-pattered Hawaiian-esque shirt? (Someone’s clearly fighting against a repeat as People’s “Sexiest Man Alive”!)

VIDEO | American Idol‘s Dexter Roberts Talks Song Clearance Woes, Anthemic Country Jams and More!

Anyhow, tonight’s lively hour featured several solid group numbers — Sisaundra upgraded the awful “Put Some Drive in Your Country” for #TeamBlake, while #TeamAdam’s “Sledgehammer” made me wonder why you never hear Peter Gabriel ditties in competition — but the real purpose was winnowing the Season 6 field from 12 to 10. Let’s see how it all played out:

Saved by America (in chronological order)
Josh Kaufman
Kat Perkins
Kristen Merlin
Audra McLaughlin
Delvin Choice
Jake Worthington
Bria Kelly (¿¡her!?)
Christina Grimmie
Sisaundra Lewis

This Week’s Bottom 3
Dani Moz
Tess Boyer
T.J. Wilkins

“Singing for Our Lives!” Performances
T.J. Wilkins: Edwin McCain’s “I’ll Be” — Grade: C | Is there a more played-out song for a reality singing competition than “I’ll Be”? OK, maybe “Against All Odds” and “I Have Nothing,” but T.J.’s total lack of ownership — and wobbly glory note — made his exit a foregone conclusion. Even Coach Usher seemd lukewarm about saving his fella. Yikes.

Dani Moz: Adele’s “Turning Tables” — Grade: B | Maybe Dani needs to be behind the piano to really, truly, madly feeeeel it. Still, her pitch here was rock-solid, and her tone is very pleasing, if not instantly identifiable.

Tess Boyer: Kelly Clarkson’s “Dark Side” — Grade B | Sure, Tess’ power-diva vocals were more on point during Monday’s Bon Jovi cover, but her cool song choice, plugged-in phrasing and enviable control made this the best of the night’s troika of last-chance performances. Combined with a body of work superior to her rivals, and the Instant Save seemed like a no-brainer.

With that in mind, I hauled booty to Twitter and did my part to give Tess another take!

For once, my Twitter tantrum was not entirely in vain.

Instantly Saved by America
Tess Boyer

Eliminated
Dani
T.J.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 12 results night? Did the right people go home? Share your thoughts in the comments!

The Voice Season 6 Top 12 Rankings: Who Has Momentum Heading Into the Live Shows?

1. OhMy says:

Shakira — really — lip synching? (and not very well)

• Adake says:

Yep, while not surprising it’s kind of like why bother.

• HTGR says:

She sings so well live too. I think maybe just these new songs have so much auto-tune voice alteration these days that it’s easier to just sync large chunks.

• Jennifer says:

She was on the Tonight Show and did the same awful lip synching. WTH?

• rwfblog says:

Thank goodness I watch reality shows on my DVR. As soon as lip-synching or auto-tune start, so does my fast forward. I’d rather watch commercials.

• Mary says:

I hate it when talented stars who are paid a gazillion dollars lip synch at all. Thanks Michael for commenting on it. By the way, why no reality check this Monday? I always look forward to you and Melinda, you make a great team.

• DeeZ says:

And not even GOOD lip synching. Oof, that was bad!! I went and watched the video for the song afterwards–her lip synching is even terrible in her own video. She needs some coaching of her own!

2. Kaba says:

Yup.
    Looked like the right two to me.
    As for next week…I can see Adam shafting one of his contestants beyond repair.
    Or Audra messing up.

• Adake says:

Kaba, you having another negative comment about Adam – shocking!!!!!

• Kaba says:

Not as shocking as you, once again, perched at your computer desk looking for anything I say within bad grace to Adam.

• Adake says:

I will keep calling you out Kaba because you are a broken record about Adam. Let’s instead talk about the actual results of tonight’s show, not your constant dislike of Adam.

• Kaba says:

….you seem under the impression that what I said was loaded with dislike toward Adam. You assume way too much.
            Adam’s trend, save the results, has been he’s not that great with song choices.
            Sorry to break it to you, but he’s not that hot with it.
            Needless to say Usher was piss last night. Shakira’s always horrid with them, and Blake is so damned predictable it hurts.
            CeeLo is bad at it too.
            I could give you a list of bad songs on Adam’s end and you’d still dismiss it as my dislike for Adam.
            So I’ll leave it at this, I’m not going to bother replying to your mess any longer lol.

• a guest says:

Just give up Adake. Stop arguing with them. Just skip their comments like i do. They hate Adam, it’s like he personally hurt Kaba and Angie in the past

• Adake says:

Thanks “guest” for your support and suggestion. I concur. Just think it’s funny how two blog posters think they have all the answers over two superstar coaches who have won all five seasons of the Voice. I didn’t hear Tessanne complaining how terrible of a coach Adam was last year. Just the opposite.

• MamaLis says:

Except I thought Usher’s choice for Josh was pretty perfect. He was wonderful.
            Many of the others you mentioned though… ugh! Unwatchable in full.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Adake, you have to admit, his song choice over the years has been abysmal. Last night being no exception. Delvin and Christina should be at the top of this competition, not slumming it with Unchained Melody or anything by Katy Bleepin’ Perry.

Exactly.
          I’ll call him for a good song choice when I see it.
          I haven’t yet.

• Adake says:

The only song choice I thought was questionable by Adam was Delvin’s only because it was too low key for a live playoff round. But they all three made it through so Adam’s Team will be fine. I respect your right to your opinion about Adam, but I think his results prove you both wrong.

• Angie_Overrated says:

He does well becuase he inexplicably gets the best singers, not because he knows what he’s doing with them once he has them. How many other judges do you hear giving Katy Bleepin’ Perry songs to their contestants? KbP is yet another kiss of death on this show.

• Kaba says:

You can do the conversating with the guy Angie.
            Waste of time on my end.

• Brandy says:

Translation:
            Hail Adam Levine and those who disagree must die.
            Amiright?

• Adake says:

Katy Perry, Number six on the iTunes chart. Christina G. – number 56, 4th out of all contestants this week. I don’t think Christina, Kat or Delvin are sad they chose Adam. Just like Audra, Jake and Sisaundra are happy to be on Blake’s team. Both coaches prove each year they overall know what they are doing. But I guess Angie and Kaba know better than these two superstars what songs to pick for their contestants. I guess I don’t have that kind of ego to say that.

• Angie_Overrated says:

May I also remind you that Right Said Fred, Baja Men and Chumbwamba also had giant hits? You’re making the assumption that because a song is / was a hit, that it’s an appropriate song choice. Ask Amber Carrington or anyone else who’s attempted Teenage Dream how that’s worked out for them. Frenchie Davis got just one chair turn with I Kissed a Girl despite being one of the best vocalists this show has ever seen. See a trend?

@angie
            *Firework
            Something tells me Teenage Dream is sing-able.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, I know Amber sang Firework. I just had poor syntax in my sentence.
            Two people have gotten dinged singing Teenage Dream, one of whom was really good. Carson Daly always has a knowing cock of the eyebrow when he announces someone is going to sing a Katy Bleepin’ Perry song. It’s kind of “oh boy, here we go” look, and to his credit, he’s never been wrong.

• Adam Fachry says:

I’m sorry Angie, but I have to disagree with you on Teenage Dream. It’s a good song. Actually, musician Owen Pallett wrote a piece for Slate about how the song is one of Pop music’s most exceptional tunes. Maybe not from the perspective of vocal delivery/singing, but from music theory. Look it up, it’s a good read and not an exaggerated parody or anything.

• Kaba says:

Damn that must have been a while back cause I can’t remember any teenaged dream performances.
            As for Adam, I believe Angie just means it has a poor history on singing shows like the voice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, from a music theory perspective? Teenage Dream? Really? REALLY!?!?! There’s a lot of pop music that I’d say is crazy interesting from a theory perspective (Beyonce immediately comes to mind, particularly Girls Rule the World). I’m highly skeptical that I’ll agree with any argument sympathetic to any KbP song, but I’ll go ahead and read it. And wait, Slate still exists? That’s a site I haven’t heard of in years.

• Angie_Overrated says:

@Kaba + Adam, yeah, exactly. I mean, I despise KbP (just to let you know, the middle initial is always an F when I’m in less polite company). But even if I liked her, they’re all studio songs. They’re not meant to be sung live. Just Give Me a Reason by Pink is a better example because I legitimately love that song. Trying to sing it solo in a live performance is not advisable. Michelle Chamuel pulled it off best, but it was still just ok. Dani flubbed last night and Amber Holcomb tripped up on it really badly too.

• Kaba says:

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one still trying to hear the magic that everyone else heard when they say Michelle perform “JGMAR”.
            Love that women, but that is one of my least favorite performances by her, thought it was okay too. The best I’ve seen so far on the show though.

• Adam Fachry says:

Oooh yaass!! Yonce knows how to make exceptional pop music. Her latest album is actually critically acclaimed. It received 88, iirc, out of 100 on Metacritic. While Katy Perty’s latest? Mmm…let’s move on lol.

The Slate piece actually started as a counterargument to a Daily Beast piece in which a writer there criticizes how music criticism these days has little to do with music theory and become a lifestyle reporting. It’s definitely an “agree to disagree” piece because I’m not sure the production of Teenage Daydream is the second coming of brilliance no matter how much I like the song. But the way he elaborates his argument is really insightful.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I don’t get it, if you say Adam made some terrible song choices, that means you hate him? Last nights choices were abysmal, please no more Katy Perry for anyone. I told you I had a feeling that Delvin would be safe despite the awful song Angie, he seems likeable, that usually helps offset a bad performance. On the other hand Bria seems totally unlikeable yet she survived a bad performance so what the hell do I know :)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Phew! I was really worried my boy Delvin would be gone. I’m so glad you were right, Bob. I was sweating this one. And can I just take this moment to declare my undying love for his pants this evening? Yes! I say yes.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Can we dispense with the “sing for the save” on these shows, after 50 minutes of nervously sweating results out, there is no possible way for anyone to deliver a decent performance. I hate the effing twitter save anyhow, but if we have to live with it then just let the people vote at the end of the night sans the performances, I’m quite sure no one is changing their votes based on them.

• giselle says:

Bob, I really agree with your comment about the sing for the save. The twitter save seems unfair for those not connected (can it be possible?) to twitter. If they had gone by the actual votes, would both of Shaki’s people have gone home? It seemed that at this point, the show did not want Shakira’s team to be down to one. Didn’t Adam even mention it right before the Instant Save kicked in. Seems like the Instant Save is a last-minute attempt to get the viewers more involved since it took so long for them to be allowed to vote. Sometimes a good show takes things one step too far and ruins itself.

• HTGR says:

I don’t both Dani and Tess would’ve been gone by votes. TJ ws the only contestant who had zero reviews on his song and was bottom of charts. He was the one 100% for sure goner I’d bet.

3. Angie_Overrated says:

Dani Moz looks like a younger, prettier, and slightly heavier version of Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad. I knew she resembled someone but I didn’t place it until tonight.

• LB says:

I agree. Not only because of their hair and faces, but also because they are both quite tall… Oh, I just looked up Anna Gunn. She is only 5’10” which isn’t exactly amazon territory, but it’s still pretty tall by Hollywood standards. I’m curious how tall Dani is.

• Cassandra says:

I said the exact same thing during tonight’s show. It think she should have stayed over Tess but it appears she wasn’t even close.

• The Beach says:

Maybe if she had sung Crystal Blue Persuasion she would have gotten the votes :0

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ha! That question was a Final Jeopardy question the other night, and not a single person got it right. I was kind of surprised. But yeah, that’d be an awesome song for her!

• Joe says:

I don’t know why, but she reminded me of the Piano Lounge singer in Lost In Translation. “We are Sausalito.”

• Angie_Overrated says:

Really? Didn’t she have red hair? It’s been a few years since I saw that so I don’t remember. Great movie though.

• LizzieB says:

Yep. Mentioned the exact same thing last week when she was on the piano with her hair straightened and let down like that. It’s really uncanny. Too bad she’s gone before she could get really better! And we’re left with Bria instead!(no offense Bria fans, just not my cup of tea)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, did you say that? Sorry, didn’t mean to steal your thunder. I must have missed your comment. But man, is the resemblance striking. They both have the same smile. And it’s not a common type of smile that they both have. Weird.

• Nit Picker Jr says:

That’s who she reminded me of! Thanks Angie. ;)
      A shame that she, like seemingly many tall women, seems to feel it’s necessary to hunch over, like, all. the. time. Stand tall, woman.

4. Quinn Carson says:

I almost threw up for Sisaundra and Christina. Announced at the end, why? : (

• Angie_Overrated says:

They do that every season. They always announce front runners last to get people fired up to vote. Happens every season. They couldn’t do Josh last as that would be uber-obvious manipulation, so they chose Sis and Christina.

• Adake says:

Be prepared for more of this to add some drama to the show. Seemed rather stupid to show where the instant save stood with a minute to go. Pretty much stole the drama when Tess was announced as she had 42% of the vote.

• Betty says:

Carson always used to say that the results were in no particular order. So I think that’s just how the producers wanted it announced.

5. Name That Tune says:

I couldn’t even remember who TJ was. Not a good sign. And I preferred Tess over Dani.

6. skrable2 says:

Did the right 2 go Home? Probably not based on the performances Monday night. But were either Dani or Teej going to win The Voice? Nah, so their departures, while sad are perfectly in keeping with the storylines we’ve been fed thus far

7. Gailer says:

I would not have been offended if any of them were in the bottom except Josh. The Voice is on the same level as Idol this season: the judges/mentors have made some questionable choices, and we are left with not the best.

8. Melanie says:

Does this mean Tess goes home next week? ):

9. Adake says:

The results tonight were not surprising. Blake and Adam have built the loyalest followers over the past six years. This often turns into a popularity contest. So I say just enjoy it for what it is, a great music reality tv series. That way you won’t be as disappointed. Many times the best vocalist doesn’t win. Based only the three performances tonight, I thought T.J. should have been saved.

10. Ana says:

NO WAY!! Dani was one of my favorites. :( The bottom three had to be T.J., Jake, and Delvin, with Delvin getting saved. The only reason I put Delvin so low is because I can tell Adam is going to give him terrible song choices.

11. You forgot your most important Tweet- “Dude is singing “I’ll Be”? #automaticelimination”

Anyway, I only voted last night for Josh, Kat, and Kristen and boom, boom, boom they were the first three saved so I really didn’t have a hound left in the hunt. But of the three remaining, I thought Dani has been the most memorable.

12. Jeanrie says:

Haven’t watched, because I hate all results night shows. But, no Bria in bottom 3? That is Wrong.

13. Valencia says:

I’m not sure why Miss Tess Boyer was even in the bottom 3. I thought over all (even last night) that she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom. But lucky for her she is this season’s Underdog. And everybody likes an underdog (because we are all secret underdogs (^-^).

• Angie_Overrated says:

I agree, V. I think there’s a voter bias against classic rock on this show. It seems to be the kiss of death on more than a few occasions. But still not as bad as disco. Ask Sasha Allen ’bout that one.

It’s disco.
        I think everyone hates that genre nowadays.

• Adam Reinaldy says:

Which is sad, because Daft Punk and Bruno Mars made a hit indebted to the genre/era. I will never hate disco simply because of how it influences modern electronic music. I’d also like to think I’m the lovechild of Studio 54 and CBGB lol, as in those iconic NYC spots epitomize the kind of music that I love wholeheartedly.

• The Beach says:

Disco had its place in time. It’s popular these days to hate on it but it was 70s dance music..no more, no less. It’s not classic but it’s not meant to be. Should it ever be sung on a reality singing competition show? Hell, no. But it can really get your blood pumping through your earbuds at the gym :-)

• Adam Fachry says:

I don’t think it’s as hated as some made it out. Or simply because kids tgese days may not realize how heavily inspired by disco Get Luck and Treasure are.

• Adam Fachry says:

*Get Lucky
            *These

• Angie_Overrated says:

I love disco (hides in corner). But I hate Treasure and Get Lucky. Especially Treasure. I don’t think I’ve ever hated any of Mars’ songs except that one.
            I think I’m gonna pop in my headphones and blast the Studio 54 soundtrack now.

• Sara says:

I have a bias against classic rock song poorly. I don’t see or hear what everyone else apparently does in regards to Tess, but that was not Bon Jovi done well last night.

• Angie_Overrated says:

What didn’t you like about it? I thought she sounded pretty good, but I admittedly didn’t listen that closely. Did you think she was worse than Bria or Jake though? That’s a tough argument to make.

• HTGR says:

Tess was better than most last night. Far better than Jake, Audra, TJ, etc. Only Kat,Sisaundra,Josh were better through and through their whole performances.

• Sara says:

Yes, I thought she was worse than Jake (and I am in no way a country fan). Not worse than Bria though. My bottom would have been TJ, Bria, and Tess. Tess is too breathy for me and I don’t think she sustains her notes at all without a lot of wobbling. And when she “hits” big notes it actually makes my ears hurt. And she is always way too pageant-y for me. I did not think she sounded good at all last night and didn’t sound good at all tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Tess’ big note tonight was kind of painful. I can’t disagree with you there. But the lower middle part of her voice is very nice.

• Sara says:

I am going to amend my statement. My bottom 3 would have been Tess, Bria, and Audra. That was a disaster as well.

• HTGR says:

Jake garbled the first two thirds of his song and was totally breathy though.

• HTGR says:

Yeah Tess being in the bottom three might have been the single worst initial bottom three type result in the history of all of these singing competitions (although was Haley bottom three the very, very first week too? I know she was basically every week the entire competition other than once). XF had a brutal start to voting last season, but TV might have actually outdone that. As someone said above, you just can’t take the voting seriously on these shows.
      Man someone who had a few great weeks coming in and did really well last night to be bottom three the very first week. Utter disgrace.

• sheba says:

I think Tess’s problem is that viewers don’t know what sort of artist she is trying to be and she doesn’t have a strong stage persona. I assume she wants to be a pop singer, since the songs she’s picked for herself were all pop songs, but she’s bounced around teams so much and sung many styles of music, that she doesn’t have a strong musical identity. Shakira hurt her with that Bon Jovi song, even though she sang it well, because the choice confused voters even more. Tess is also somewhat stiff on stage, which makes her hard to connect with. Cheerleading and beauty pageants have given her poise, but that’s not sufficient to get viewers to want to invest emotionally in a performer. If anyone can teach her how to perform, it is Shakira, but it might take a few weeks for the benefit of her coaching to show up in Tess’s performances.

14. Mike says:

I’m still not sure why people voted for Bria after last night. That was the shocker. Tess never would have needed the save and maybe we’d still have Dani.

• Kaba says:

She’s a 4 chair that was a preview that gained a LOT of attention based on her audition.
      It’s going to be harder to get rid of her than that.

• skrable2 says:

She has a pre-existing fanbase, particular when you add in her time on AGT. Acts such as Bria will keep getting votes at the expense of those less well-known.

• Kaba says:

Lol, do we even count AGT? Who remembers anyone from AGT? I have a hard time remembered when the show starts.

• skrable2 says:

You’d be surprised how many folks follow these singers from show to show. Bria got some fan support there, has an established “following,” such as it is, then had a terrific blind audition.

• Angie_Overrated says:

When my husband puts AGT on, I start whining and throwing a hissy fit until he changes the channel. Worst. Show. Ever.
            [I do the same if he ever turns on Glee. Luckily we've come to an understanding that the only Ryan Murphy allowed in our household is American Horror Story]

• Adam Reinaldy says:

@Angie: Glee itself is sort of an American Horror Story.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Glee has the ability to immediately piss me off. No matter how good my mood is, I become sullen and start pacing during the first song and dance number. AGT is a close #2 (operative phrase being #2).

• Colton Smith says:

why people are so suprised that she wasn’t in the bottom 3 is beyond me
      she is a frontrunner from the start ,she gave a lot of tv time
      she is an amazing singer
      sure,there will be people who doesn’t like her but who doesn’t ?

15. JMac says:

Josh was well-deserving of the top spot. After him, I might have counted one thing that wasn’t completed screwed up. For starters, on those that were…

– All three of Blake’s artists go through? I love Blake Shelton, both the Singer and the Judge, but no way all three of his singers should have made Top 10.

– I don’t know if they named them in order of votes received (I doubt it), but either way, Kat Perkins ,the second person safe? Stupid.

– Kristen Merlin should have been in the bottom three and had to sing her way to safety… whether her fault or not, last night she did NOT show that she was worthy of a Top 10 spot and she should have had to be one that sang for her life.

– And last but not least, TESS BOYER IN THE BOTTOM THREE?! Is America smoking something?

16. CM says:

I love how when Carson announced that the first person being saved was on team Usher, they all started looking at Josh.

• Mr Spock says:

They know and check out the itunes sales,blog comments, and surveys…. the contestants know who’s been naughty and who’s been nice… :)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Do they have time to read these blogs? I couldn’t read these if I were them. It would psych me out too much. Man, can you imagine if Bria has been reading these comment sections the last few weeks? Not that she didn’t deserve the scorn as her voice is an abomination, but I hope for her sake she’s not reading this.

17. Maris says:

This format’s better than what they were doing in the past, we get more performances and less of carson trying to build suspense, I’m all for it… Now I just hope next week the bottom 3 (2? how many?) will be more fair than this week’s

• The Beach says:

I still use the FF button to skip past Carson’s unbearably long build up to naming who’s safe. All these shows do it to an irritating degree.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Right? I feel myself aging during those. Like, seriously, I can totally hear my biological clock ticking. It’s painful.

18. Deena says:

Stevie Jo is sitting at home while TJ is booted on the 1st live elimination. You screwed up big time Usher.

19. Coryrox78 says:

Bria stays and Dani goes??? So much wrong there…

20. Kayla says:

Ugh, Bria was awful and I thought Dani has done really well in her past two performances. This is the first time I’ve watched past the auditions and I’m starting to wish I hadn’t.

• Blank Slate says:

Can someone explain what Bria is doing stringing the world’s biggest necklace– aka a guitar– around her body? It just sat there. It felt like a HIDE THE PREGNANCY trick from daytime tv.

Did the last three know what the #save votes were during the commercial break? (Good way to keep the tv audience glued to the commercials, VOICE staff. Give the genius who came up with that idea a raise!

21. Peaches Jackson says:

Hmmmm, I liked Miss Dani, too bad she’s gone. I NEVER saw what made TJ so special. Tbh, he kinda sounds like Usher. The only people I’m rooting for at this point are Sisaundra, Josh and Delvin. #TeamSoulllllllllllll

22. Jobless says:

The eliminations were fine. Both good singers but both fairly forgettable. They weren’t the worst offenders on performance night but they weren’t contenders to win either.

23. Kaba says:

I think Kristen coasted off sympathy vote mostly. Which isn’t to say she was bad, I just think people were mainly feeling bad for her performance being cut off a bit.
    Bria…hmm….I dunno what’s the case with her. She could do poorly again next week or maybe she’ll finally live up to her audition. It’s all in the air, I’m rather unsure. I have some songs in mind she could do, but merh.
    Kat ought to be safe next week, but I think she’ll need something a bit better of a song in order for her to survive top 8 week.
    Delvin…if the guy gets another boring song choice I won’t be surprised if he goes. He was pretty low on itunes.
    Audra has this potential but I just don’t care at all lol. I’m guessing she won’t survive next week or she’ll be the instasave. Unsure
    Tess will need to work next week in order to survive the instasave curse. Otherwise she’s guaranteed dead meat.
    _________________________
    As for the rest, I think they’ll [Josh, Sisaundra, Christina, Jake] will definitely make up our top 6. Unless Sisaundra is just so vocally aggressive that people just can’t side with it.
    I can see Bria making a redemption regardless of how people feel about her voice. The right song for her will propel her far.

• gracelessk says:

She’s extremely talented. I’ve watched her carry shows alone with an acoustic guitar, singing Carrie Underwood and Miranda Underwood songs that just blew everyone away. I think you can see some of the performances on YouTube. I’m not sure where this rock growl is coming from because she’s got the talent without it to stand out and possibly win.

• Kaba says:

Oh yeah I see that she’s definitely better geared toward country.
        I’m guessing she got tired of the scene to be honest.
        She needs to figure out her voice, it’s a weird genre she’s going toward when her voice doesn’t seem suited for it.
        I’ve seen her youtube videos.
        She should do “Ain’t No Sunshine”

• danin says:

I’m thinking Southern Rock for Bria…or neo-souther rock/folk. ala Patti Griffin.Who knows maybe some of Led Zeps bluesy rock stuff.

• Kaba says:

Oh some Led Zep would be nice for her. I don’t listen to a lot of blues rock so it’s not my genre.

• Random says:

Christina will win off of her twitter followers alone. Just wait and see. :(

• Kaba says:

Well, from the looks of it she isn’t going to be handed multipliers like we expected.
        If someone just keeps garnering multipliers and she doesn’t, she won’t it seems.
        Josh could win so long as he hasn’t peaked yet.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I was thinking about this today…
          So Christina Grimmie has a bazillion youtube followers. Got it. These are people who are accustomed to getting their music online and NOT PAYING FOR IT!!!
          See where I’m going with this?
          She seems to have done better than most with the downloads last night. And for good reason as she gave a pretty good performance last night. But I really don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that she wins this. Sisaundra is a force to be reckoned with, Kristen has the lesbian AND country votes locked up, Josh is stupidly good, and even Kat seems to be drumming up a following. It’s not a lock for Grimmie. She’s beatable.

• Kaba says:

Yeah I finally just thought of that just 2 days ago.
            It makes complete sense. The girl released an album back in the summer and then for some reason auditions for the voice? Her contestants are too used to the free stuff and her album didn’t do as well as projected.
            Then there’s the other aspect that her youtube followers aren’t strictly american.
            Though I will say she’s guaranteed a spot in the semi-finals at least. The insta-save is absolutely in her favor.
            Still, I’m rooting for Josh above all, that man is just…goodness. Him and Sisaundra are just nitemares for the rest of the competition. Blake just needs to stop putting training wheels on the woman.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup, the youngins today (god I’m getting old at the tender age of 34) don’t pay for music. It’s anathema to them. I’d be curious to see the breakdown by age of downloads for The Voice. My guess is it skews to my age bracket as I don’t think your age bracket purchases much of their music. I honestly don’t know. Just guessing.
            She well could make it to the end. She is very talented. But she’s gotta get past Josh and Sisaundra. And Kat is a force to be reckoned with too. If she has a Dream On or Over You type moment, Kat could be in this. And she’s got the pipes to do it. And let’s not forget the country voting block.

• Kaba says:

Yeah, she’s got a pretty solid wall of people to fight through. Especially since I definitely recall that her fanbase is younger than people would think at times.
            Them kids are broke.
            Still, best of luck. Interesting season we’ve got here.

• DDuncan says:

I am not a lesbian or country fan, and I loved Kristen. To be honest, I hate that song, but loved the way she sang it.

• Mariana says:

Ok so christina grimmie is beatable even tho she wants to be hella greedy an got on the voice even tho she is already YouTube famous. I honestly don’t see what’s so good about her. Her voice is not all that good. Hopefully Lewis wins (: and not that irritating grimmie.

24. Adam Reinaldy says:

You can tell that Josh will be Usher’s Michelle Chamuel this season, in that he will do whatever it takes to keep him in the competition. I’m not mad at it because judging from Michelle’s arc, Usher’s coaching works better if he were to focus on one contestant. TJ was obviously his canon fodder, sort of like Vedo.

• Kaba says:

He evidently wants to be that way for Bria and Josh, the issue is that..Bria is tough work lol.
      Unless he just gives her country songs I dunno what blues rock music works for her…or even rock music.

25. Ryan P. says:

Dani Moz is like the Sylvia Yacoub of this season – not very hyped going into the live shows, then gives an amazing performance in the first round on the big stage, and finally is eliminated way too early because the following performance(s) didn’t live up to the first one.
    Also – it boggles my mind that people like Audra, Bria, and Delvin got more votes than Tess, especially after what we saw last night. These other three don’t amazing personalities to justify them earning more votes than Tess despite singing much worse.

• Ryan P. says:

Oh, and both Dani and Sylvia had their “moments” at the piano. I still regularly play Sylvia’s “The One That Got Away.”

26. AlyB says:

I don’t think Tess belonged in the bottom 3 at all so I’m glad she was saved. I figured TJ would be one of the first to be eliminated so that was.no shocker. I wish it had been Jake leaving instead of Dani but he has some kind of fan base thanks to being on Blake’s team and being such an awwww shucks country boy. His performance last night was abysmal. Still, I don’t think Dani was a contender for the win so while I think she got cut too soon, it’s not a heartbreaker. I think she just came off as too pageantry for this show’s audience. I hope Tess survives the curse of the saved and stays out of the bottom next week. Twitter won’t save her twice. Shakira better think long and hard about her song choice. Shakira should have sung live. I don’t think anyone performing as a guest on a show like this should be lip synching let alone a coach. If that song can’t be done live, she should have done another one. What does it say about her ability to coach people to sing live if she can’t do it herself? Maybe it’s just me but that just seems wrong.

27. David H says:

There’s a certain arc that the judges try to follow with the song choices. First, they try to find the limits of their singers’ voices. Then the emphasis subtly slides into showing different sides of the singers. Finally, they’ll try and establish what kind of artist their singer will be if they win. I think that Shakira and Usher have their favorites (Tess and Josh). Those are the ones who will get the best song choices. I think Adam and Blake have their favorites, too (Christina and Sissaundra). But, they have three artists still.

28. Maybe the order was really like this and they decided to just fu** with everyone (LOL):

#1 Josh Kaufman
    #3 Kat Perkins
    #5 Kristen Merlin
    #7 Audra McLaughlin
    #9 Delvin Choice
    #8 Jake Worthington
    #6 Bria Kelly (¿¡her!?)
    #4 Christina Grimmie
    #2 Sisaundra Lewis

Seems plausible… :-)

29. Kaba says:

Bria should try out some ZZ Ward.

30. Angie_Overrated says:

I have to give credit to Sisaundra for being a great sport during the country throw down. She legitimately looked like she was having fun. Such a lovely woman. I need to be friends with her.

31. Spencer says:

I am really hoping the curse where the saved one is sent off the next week. I LOVE Tess!

32. linda hardge says:

Blake needs to give Sisuandra better songs and by all means do not restrain her magnificant voice. Let her shine!

33. Titina says:

I knew Tj was a goner the first week in! Usher made a huge mistake for not keeping Stevie Jo instead. If Stevie was there he would still have his team intact.

Hopefully Bria is shown the door soon too. She is so overrated. Josh is a great singer but he does nothing for me. I dunno why. He is technically perfect but that´s about it..

Anyways! Still miss you Stevie Jo! Usher is paying for his big mistake..

34. Diego says:

Sisaundra is amazing and really should win, just like Javier in the first season. But unfortunately The majority of people voting are either teenagers and young adults that don’t have a clue. Country fan base is huge and jake is great, but to vote him over Sisuandra!!!!! Season 4 was a similar disappointment for me, uuuugh…

35. Catniss says:

Didn’t anyone notice Grimmie’s stank face before her name was announced? She bugs me.

36. Carola says:

TJ a goner, of course. I never understood why Usher picked him . He was fodder with a capital F.

I still miss Stevie Jo too. That kid had the most potential to grow on a show like this. Yeah, his last performance was not perfect, but he proved many times he is an amazing singer and with the rich material he just kills it. I predict a great future beyond this show…

• ThinkStrategy says:

Stevie Jo would have been fodder, too. Performance and voice wise, it didn’t matter which guy Usher kept, so he kept the brother.

37. Colton Smith says:

“Bria Kelly (¿¡her!?)” , once again you proved that you have something
    against her but you got to be objective and keep it to yourself
    i told you that she’s not going anywhere
    she is an amazing singer and even that they put her first and
    even that she sang adele which is pretty much should be forbidden
    she still nailed it and sail through to the next round

• Angie_Overrated says:

Bria “nailed” Adele? That’s why she looked she was going to poop in her pants suit after her name got called? She clearly thought she was in trouble. I don’t think Bria herself agrees with you here, Colton.

• Colton Smith says:

Maybe she read comments like yours and starts to think
        that people more dislike her than like her
        she is 17!!!! the nerves are very understandable
        and yes,she should work on her confidence
        but this things doesn’t come over night

• Angie_Overrated says:

I never mentioned anything about her confidence or nerves. Her problem is her voice. Period.

• Colton Smith says:

you said she was nervous when carson read the results so I
            think its because of lack of confidence
            her voice is definetaly not the problem,but lets agree to disagree

• Caitlyn says:

You clearly don’t like her voice. Your one-thousand negative posts about her, gives us a small clue. ;-) I’m not a huge Bria fan, but at least she is different, in what is a pretty washed out show. My guess is that will take her very far. If I had to guess who will be the final three (not who I like best, but who I think will be left standing at the end), I would probably go with Bria (because like her or hate her, at least she doesn’t bore people), Jake (Probably my least favorite of those still left, but I still think he will make it) and Christina (Really the only artist that has great technical skill AND great stage presence), with Christina winning it all. I’m not even a big Christina fan, but do recognize that she is singing much harder songs than the others, and delivering them quite well. Sisaundra and Josh are probably much better singers, but it’s a long show. I think they will start to bore the fickle public.

• HTGR says:

exactly, you can’t read into anything more than that (plus checking itunes and grade given here). Even I think Usher’s comments made it almost sound like he was saying some of it had gotten into her head before lives started and they worked to try to forget it all. Comments sections are a mess anyway. Reading them through quickly would probably be a good way to mess up your head over nothing.

• John Anthony says:

Hi again Angie. I’m still watching Sissaundra’s progress with you. There should be more comments regarding her chances even if she’s not my first choice to win this thing. I was impressed this time around when she chose a song that did not call for her upper range ability. I think it hurt her a bit going up against some of the other performers strength. Depending on the upper reaches of the note scale may lead to defeat but I think she better return to that strength so she maintains her best chance to win. Don’t give up on her!

• Deluded says:

“I told you” ??

• NotQuite says:

Actually, this is an opinion column, not a news report. Michael is paid to write his opinions. He’s not paid to be objective; he’s paid to tell us what he really believes – as opposed to serving up a load of touchy feely pablum as though he was one of The Voice judges. So no, he doesn’t need to keep it to himself.

Bria is young, she can clearly sing, but she needs a lot of work. She may have been the big fish in the small pond she came from, but standing out in Glee club is not the same thing as being able to carry an actual career. She needs more seasoning before that cookie is baked.

38. Michael, none of your tweets counted because you didn’t do the hashtag right :( It needed to be VoiceSaveTess

39. analythinker says:

Not that my opinion matters anymore, but I actually think Dani has more potential over Tess in the long run. Her (Dani) tone is more flexible, I think. Maybe that or the way Tess sings sounds so calculated to me.

40. Sharon says:

I was disappointed to see Dani go. I find her voice and approach more interesting than that of either Tess or TJ. As always, I feel bad for contestants who are, as Carson always puts it, “singing for their lives.” Happily, not actually the case.

41. Ann VerWiebe says:

I’m wondering if Usher is regretting letting Stevie Jo go. I get that Stevie Jo and Josh are operating out of the same wheelhouse – and that there aren’t very many African American contestants this year – but Stevie Jo was building a fanbase and TJ obviously wasn’t.

• Kaba says:

How was he supposed to know of Stevie Jo’s fanbase?
      Granted the playoffs were recorded a week or two before, that doesn’t mean much.

42. Emma says:

I prefer Dani and Tess’ tone over Bria and Christina’s but Dani and Tess obviously weren’t connecting with the audience as much as Bria and Christina. Oh well. I was most curious if Sisaundra would get the votes once the lives started and she did indeed so I’m happy about that. #beastmaster

43. Nit Picker Jr says:

Caught this mess on Tweedr last night. Still a little bummed. Jake W safe? WTF? But, hey, called it. Audra safe? WT… But, hey, called it. Dani out? Okay, based on Monday night alone, I get it, kind of. But W.T.F? Still, called it. Still bummed about it, a little. T.J out I can live with. No disrespect intended but I just never connected with his singing so for me it’s no loss. But (and it’s a big honkin’ but), this only confirms my misgivings that Christina and Bria (and probably Jake … sigh) can do no wrong, and one of them will probably win the whole effin’ show. Jeez. But, hey, it’s only reality-teevee. I should maybe try get over it.
    Won’t be a bit surprised now if the #BeastMaster gets urrshered off next week…

• Random says:

According to Itunes the night before the results show there was no surprise in the bottom 3. It predicted them perfectly. It also predicted Tess getting the instant save.

44. MusicCritik says:

Vocally speaking I think tess did deserve the save. However, I do not like her demeanor. I understand being freaked out being in the bottom 3. But at least show some humility and grace! Fake a smile. Dani and TJ did. I’m pretty sure Tess was shocked to be in the bottom 3. From what I can tell she thinks pretty highly of herself. In an annoying way. I hope she is gone next week.

• HTGR says:

oh please. The only one who sounds like they think too highly of themselves are the ones who write stuff like that. It’s so ridiculous to read this or that nonsense in this or that supposed demeanor. Who cares anyway. Well, sadly, 80% of reality tv voters. Oh well.

45. Mikko says:

I feel quite bad, that Tess does not seem to appeal to audience. I just had the time to watch the live show and then the results show, and in my papers she was the number 1, and I think she is fabulous.
    The rest of my order was the following: 2) Sisaundra (I have not liked her at all earlier, but this performace was something!) 3) Jake 4) Kat 5) Delvin 6) Josh 7) Audra…The rest did not interest me, although they were ok. Based on these performances, TJ and Dani leaving was the right decision.

These group numbers are so great, and people were singing better than in their personal performances.

Olease, people, give Tess a chance.

• Emma says:

Jake in 3rd place? Really? I thought he struggled mightily last night. He sure didn’t live up to comparing himself to George Strait and George Jones!

• Mikko says:

Jake’s performance was not at all as strong as it could have been, but there is something special in all he is delivering, that appeals to me, so that even with not-so-strong performances I dig him. I think he is unique and one of his kind.

• Kiwiland says:

I also think Tess is fabulous and in my top 3 for sure. I wonder if the right song choice next week could give her enough of a moment to turn things around. Otherwise she will inevitably be out of the competition much too soon!

46. BooBoo says:

Tess is saved. YES

47. jaxguy says:

Dani and or Tess should have not been in the bottom. Stevie Joe would have had a better chance than TJ. Jake was terrible. He should have been gone over Dani.

48. Carole Stevens says:

Dani Moz should have been saved over Tess! Tess’ performance last night was horrible, where Dani’s Turning Tables was great! Shakira obviously favored Tess when she told America to save Tess. Dani sang beautifully on Access Hollywood today! I agree with another comment that Tess is calculated in her performances!

• Ana says:

I couldn’t agree more. I also saw that performance on Access Hollywood and she was great. I’ve liked all of Dani’s performances while the only one I liked from Tess was when she did Human.

49. megs says:

Sorry, Michael…I thought either of the other two should have been saved over Tess.
    That being said, I’m just glad Sisaundra and Josh were safe. Those are really the only contestants I’ve cared about for a couple weeks. I do really like Blake, but he has REEEEAAALLLLLYY gotta step up his song choice game for Sisaundra. Maybe just let her pick her own songs? That may be for the best.
    Absolutely unimportant side note- what happened to the “Voice Confessionals”? Very obviously filler, which I usually hate and fast forward through, but I always thought it was kinda entertaining(thanks mostly to Blake, I guess).

50. Michael, I agree with you yet again. I’m in Hawaii and couldn’t vote to save Tess but I was shocked she was in the bottom. Again it comes down to song choice. With Tess’ power house voice and humble yet strong stage performances she could go far with the right song. She has always been one of my favorites and I hope she stays for the long haul. I hope her song choice that will be chosen by America and the producers will showcase to American this is one great singer. Aloha