Did Originals Death Upset? Was Parenthood Coming Out a Shock? Mad Eyesore? And More Qs

Mad MenWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Mad Men, Bates Motel, The Originals and Parenthood!

1 | On Grimm, did you worry that Adalind’s baby, even though it’s crazy powerful, was going to choke on Kelly’s little locket?

RELATED | Mad Men Mind Games: 7 Premiere Moments That Prove the AMC Drama Is Messing With Us

2 | What was more distracting in the Mad Men premiere: Pete’s plaid pants or Ken’s pirate-style eye patch?

3 | Does Game of Thrones‘ Margaery have bad luck in picking husbands or what?

4 | How many plot twists on Revenge would you estimate that we all miss (or misunderstand) because of Aiden’s mumbling and Pascal’s accent? And how awful was the Initiative flashback the show gave us toward the end of this week’s episode, when Conrad appeared to be reporting to another Trask?

RELATED | Are Barry Sloane’s Revenge Days Numbered?

5 | How mad will you be if Darkness at Noon, er, some “serious” TV cable drama takes up The Good Wife‘s spot come Emmy nominations time? And what channel do you think Darkness at Noon airs on? Totally AMC, right?

6 | Did we miss the memo that all Revolutionary War-related dramas (AMC’s Turn, Fox’s Sleepy Hollow) must have shadow-filled opening credits?

7 | Consider this, Following fans: How twisted would it have been if Mike hadn’t considered [Spoiler alert!] killing Lily until a well-meaning Max brought it up?

8 | Were you as bummed to see Paloma Kwiatkowski’s edgy, adorable Cody check out of Bates Motel as you were relieved when Nicola Peltz’s mopey Bradley left?

9 | How on Earth did RuPaul’s Drag Race decide to send Trinity packing instead of Joslyn when Joslyn failed in both the talk-show challenge and on the runway — whereas Trinity only failed in the talk-show challenge? Shady!

RELATED | Spoilers on Chicago Fire, True Blood, Reign, Mentalist, S.H.I.E.L.D. and More

The Originals10 | Who else is angry with The Originals‘ Elijah for killing Thierry?

11 | Did any other Supernatural fans find themselves with a strong urge to rewatch “Changing Channels” after this week’s episode? And what did you think of Cas’ retconned pop culture knowledge? Yay or nay?

12 | Which was the more disturbing visual on this week’s Glee: Blaine shoveling cheese puffs into his mouth or Artie’s head encased in a giant STD?

RELATED | Glee Boss Ryan Murphy Reveals Game Plan for ‘Satisfying’ Final Season (Who’ll Be Back?!); Plus — Inside the ‘Painful’ Rachel Romance Debate

13 | Did you catch the subtle Big Lebowski shout-out (white Russians!) in the diner scene in Fargo?

14 | When guest stars like Joel McHale, Paul Rudd and Seth Meyers appear on Billy on the Street, are we to assume they’re having fun, or just feeling vaguely humiliated?

15 | Now that Grey’s Anatomy has given Jackson and April that big blowout about their core beliefs, can we please start the countdown to Catherine’s well-deserved “I told ya so”?

16 | In the Scandal finale, Olivia went from deciding to leave town to having her entire apartment boxed up and ready to move in record time, no?

17 | On The Vampire Diaries, did Vicki get taken away by whatever force took Katherine? And can it spit Kat back out, please?

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Sneak Peek: Damon, Stefan and Caroline Make a Grim Discovery

18 | In this week’s Reign, you catch that the guests at Lola’s wedding ceremony were dancing Parenthoodto an instrumental version of Lorde’s “Royals”?

19 | During all the speculation that Parenthood‘s Drew might be gay, did you ever, even for a second, think Haddie would turn out to be the show’s (sorely lacking) gay character?! (Doesn’t her “super awesome best friend” look like Michelle Williams circa early Dawson’s Creek?) And did anyone expect the Amber/Ryan storyline to go from zero to pregnancy test so quickly?

20 | Once The Newsroom finishes its third and final season on HBO, could the network do us a solid and order to series the Aaron Sorkin-skewring Foodroom parody as featured on Inside Amy Schumer?

21 | On a scale of 1 to “Shove a binky in its mouth to make it stop,” how annoying is the Rosemary’s Baby ad featuring only a baby crying?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. tracyg36 says:

Trinity had been on the bottom twice before – if not this week, she was gonna go home next week. As for Cas’ retcon, having the info doesn’t mean he will get the reference, as demonstrated at the end of the episode with the Death Star thing Dean said.

• Adam says:

Agreed about Trinity. I think including Trinity, all of the queens are pretty great making it a tight competition, but Trinity was the weakest of them. I think Joslyn will be the next to go. (I’m rooting for Bianca del Rio to the win the whole thing with BenDeLaCreme and either Adore or Courtney Act in the top three with her.)

• ShadyBootzDarcy says:

I agree with everything you said! But I was sad to see Trinity go because she has really grown and I really ended up liking her, but she was still one of the weakest girls.

• Tess says:

Trinity may have been one of the weaker girls, sure, and it’s not like she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom 2 in the first place, but Joslyn should’ve been in the lip-sync with her rather than Adore. Joslyn’s faux pas in the interview bit plus totally missing the mark on the runway should’ve been enough to put her there – and I can’t help but wonder if they planned to have Adore in the bottom 2 just to see Adore do the Paula Abdul number given her Idol past. Trinity had at least shown some improvement in the last few weeks and was starting to come out of her shell (plus her runway looks were always great) while Joslyn really has been coasting all season. (And I agree with Adam that Bianca, DeLa, Adore, and Courtney are the final 4 – but only Bianca appears to be a lock for the final 3 and right now is the de facto winner unless one of the other three steps it up big time. Joslyn and Darienn are also-rans at this point.)

• RyanC says:

Honestly, I don’t think Joslyn’s interview was as terrible as they acted. If she’d have introduced the abortion question by saying something like “Now, in your Lifetime documentary you spoke quite candidly about…”, it wouldn’t have seemed so strange a question. It WAS something she’d openly talked about before, it’s not like she’d dug up some shocking news and surprised her with it. Trinity though, calling him Chad consistently, and being awkward as hell in the interview? Deserved bottom 2 placement.

Totally agree with the final 4 choices, and that Bianca is the only definite finalist (and winner, I hope). The other three will have to battle it out, but I’d be very surprised if DeLa isn’t there.

And should she not win, and she probably won’t, I *really* hope Adore Delano makes AllStars season 2!

2. DreamRose311 says:

11 – It made me want to watch Mystery Spot more… probably because there’s something wrong with me. But in general wanted to go back and watch all the Trickster episodes after that. He has definitely been missed. And I agree with the comment above, I think they’ll get good comedy out of Cas’ new found pop-culture knowledge.

8 – Yes, I hate that Cody left. I hope there’s a way for her to come back later. Though it probably wouldn’t make a lot of sense *sigh*

3. j says:

#5 In an earlier episode, the announcer said it was AMC.

4. 2. What was more distracting in the Mad Men premiere: Pete’s plaid pants or Ken’s pirate-style eye patch?
    Pete’s whole outfit and haircut! I couldn’t believe it.

3. Does Game of Thrones‘ Margaery have bad luck in picking husbands or what?
    I don’t think she’ll be marrying again anytime soon.

19. (…) (Doesn’t her “super awesome best friend” look like Michelle Williams circa early Dawson’s Creek?) And did anyone expect the Amber/Ryan storyline to go from zero to pregnancy test so quickly?
    Every time she appeared on screen I thought of Michelle Williams.
    And, about Amber… it is impossible that she is pregnant, maybe she wants his mother to think that to prevent him from leaving (after a certain amount of time the test can turn positve)… I don’t know.

• Elyse says:

Ok… I’m confused about the pregnancy test… she can’t already be pregnant. Are we to assume she wasn’t on birth control so she could get pregnant from it? OR she’s TRYING to get pregnant? That part confused me.

• Cassandra says:

I’m thinking that she is just now realizing she may be pregnant since the last time they were together. I think that episode aired back in January so three months isn’t a ridiculous amount of time to go without being aware of it.

• Carla Krae says:

There was also a time lapse at the end. She didn’t go pick up a pregnancy test the next day. They were just subtle about it.

• EJ386 says:

I think Margaery will get married soon. She didn’t care for either of her husband, but she want power [and if not she her family]. In this world she can only get it by marriage.

• Amanda says:

Why does the show have to be “sorely lacking” a gay character??? There are millions of families without gay members.

• Lauri says:

Very true.

• Dr. L says:

America, as seen on TV!

• Lu says:

Not all families don’t have gay members, either.

• Kim R says:

That is what I thought when I read that. Not that I mind the direction they are taking with her character but not every family has all things represented. :) Parenthood has always been a show, in my opinion, that depicts life in a family with all its ups and downs, not covering every basis known to man so all are represented in this one family. :)

• Bill Prickett says:

In that area of the country, not to have a gay character is an oversight.

• Amanda says:

Oh, so every family in California has a gay member? So, being gay is now regional? Sheesh. The point is, not every single ethnicity, religion or sexual preference has to be represented in every single TV show! It was the author’s use of “sorely lacking” that was unnecessary.

5. Drewer says:

19. Can we talk about how much blond Sarah Ramos looks like “Reba” era Joanna Garcia.

6. uh huh says:

#6. Sleepy Hollow’s opening credits are AWESOME.

7. Diane says:

So right about Revenge. What in the world are they saying?

• Ava says:

Thank goodness for closed captioning.

• kia says:

Aiden is the reason ive become addicted to closed captioning lol..i began using it when someone online suggested, no more rewinding over and over trying to figure out wtf hes saying! Now i rely closed captions for most shows, added benefit is my kids find them extremly annoying hehe

8. Elyse says:

3 | Does Game of Thrones‘ Margaery have bad luck in picking husbands or what?
    She just wants to be Queen but apparently it isn’t in the cards for her.

10 | Who else is angry with The Originals‘ Elijah for killing Thierry?
    I am. I know he was kind of insignificant but I liked him :(

11 | Did any other Supernatural fans find themselves with a strong urge to rewatch “Changing Channels” after this week’s episode? And what did you think of Cas’ reconnected pop culture knowledge? Yay or nay?
    Changing Channels is one of my fav episodes!!!

9. David says:

Foodroom would be awesome!

10. Bruce_F says:

10. Certainly not me. Good riddance, Thierry. You were useless, untrustworthy, and didn’t have nearly enough common sense.
    17. Don’t start with that “bring back Kat” junk. She needs to stay gone. TVD wrecked that character enough. Let her go.

• Francine says:

As much as I love Katherine’s character, they really did completely ruin her at the end. Kat was a master at fooling people and survived 500 years of running, but once she “became” Elena, all those smarts were gone and she became a sappy lovesick fool. I didnt see any other ending for her. They should have kept her as recurring but since they didnt, there was no other way to go except to kill her.

• alistaircrane says:

TVD didn’t wreck Katherine. This season was perfect at fleshing out the character more. In fact, she was the reason I was so addicted to watch each and every week!

• Naazneen says:

WORD on #10. Good riddance. Thierry was collateral damage

11. Christian says:

I have no idea what #5 is in reference to but I’m ready to get upset when The Good Wife is looked over for a “prestige” cable drama… blech!

• Dee says:

There’s something mighty wrong with the Television Academy if TGW is wrongfully ignored again this year. The past snubs were an insult to one’s intelligence. Any further snubs would be just a total disgrace to the EMMYs.

12. TVLine_FanGirl says:

S.H.I.E.L.D — How awful it was to see Ward on the hydra side — what the heck is going on with him?? Also what is up with all sudden ramped up romance, it seems out of place. Really Ward and Skye going on a date with everything that is going on around them??

• EJ386 says:

It is very awful, but also really intriguing, makes the show better.

• jenferner8 says:

I know! I can tolerate Ward even when he’s extremely boring but Skye has gotten beyond annoying. These two feel forced, it seemed like she had crush before but there’s really no chemistry there and now she’s all icky gooey and sickingly cow-eyed. Also Coulson deserves better. My question now is based on what Melinda said to Coulson, is/was there something there…? Between Coulson and Melinda?

13. Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?

I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some
    stories/information. I know my audience would enjoy your work.

If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot
    me an e mail.

14. Dee says:

If I might add, what in the heck was that on NCIS:LA between Kensi & Deeks? I am a fairly intelligent person but was quite confused by the ambiguity of that last scene. Anyone else?

15. Dominique says:

#10; yes I’m angry Thierry was killed. Not necessarily angry with Elijah, because this is the way he works; you betray him, you pay the price. It’s always been like that, and Marcel knew that. But I am angry Thierry is dead. Once again, the writers don’t seem to understand that just the main characters alone don’t make the show. It’s a combination of interesting main characters and recurring characters you like so much you want them to stick around. Both The Originals as well as TVD don’t seem to understand the latter very well. Those recurring characters just keep on dying.

16. Cassandra says:

11 – I re-watched Tall Tales and Mystery Spot already and am fully planning on getting to Changing Channels and Hammer of the Gods over the weekend. I would have preferred Cas not gaining all the pop culture knowledge but now that he knows all that Meta’s read, and Meta said he steals from the best, I think it will key in Cas defeating him.

17. Azerty says:

3: Does Game of Thrones‘ Margaery have bad luck in picking husbands or what?
    Or maybe the husbands have bad luck in picking Margaery as a wife?

18. Viv says:

10. Well I somehow knew that Thierry wouln´t last and I´m not really angry, but a bit disappointed. Liked him.

11. It was so great to see the Trickster/Gabriel again. Too good to be true… then again… he never said he really was dead (hey, a girl can hope…)

19. Mel says:

The Parenthood pregnancy test thing bothered me too! I was wondering if I missed some indication of a time jump- but nope! That was soooooo unrealistic.

• rowan77 says:

IF anything that should have been the last scene in the tag. Once we think the episode is all over and we fade out on Camille and Zeek, then we should have seen one extra scene from weeks later of Amber getting a test.

I love this show and while the episode was clearly designed to bring closure in case they don’t get a pick-up, I hope if goes another season. This is what good television looks like.

• Bradster says:

Did Amber and Ryan sleep together in like January or February though?

• rowan77 says:

It’s May in the show (college is already out), she would have missed her period four times at this point. Amber doesn’t strike me as dumb and unable to know when she’s late. She and Ryan had sex in the hospital. Now she’s obviously late. Time marched on, but the show didn’t indicate that at all. If anything it looks like it was just a few days at most.

• Carla Krae says:

Yes, there was a time jump.

20. Ted says:

13. Um… subtle?

21. ME says:

#5 I can feel the rage coming on for just reading this question

22. webly3 says:

19 – Is Haddie really a lesbian? I hope they get renewed and reveal she’s bisexual because she totally had feelings for Michael B. Jordan a few seasons ago. It doesn’t make sense to me. I mean she was head over heels for that guy at one point. lol

• Nate says:

People’s feelings do change. There are plenty of people who were probably straight in high school and became gay later in life

• cjeffery7 says:

human sexuality is complicated. she can be both, neither, either, or other. i hope they get picked up too! this past season was pretty stellar!

• JB Smooove says:

RIGHT! How do you go from MBJordan to that?

• KV says:

At Paleyfest last year (2012), they talked about wanting to incorporate a gay relationship but it had to feel natural. So it didn’t surprise me. I thought perhaps it was going to be Jabar. Just because I could see Crosby having a harder time with it. I think the goal of Parenthood’s creators is to try to really show parents in all sorts of difficult situations—the reaction, the growth, the relationship bond. Seems like they aren’t going to get as much story from Haddie, but they actress did a great job, I think.

They just can cancel this show… I’m in denial that it is even a possibility. Do we need to start a campaign?

• Anna says:

I honestly thought it was going to be Max. Pairing homosexuality with a disability could have made for an incredibly interesting and complex storyline.

23. Nate says:

#5 – Ugh…I love Good Wife, but whenever they try to tackle some kind of pop culture satire, like the AMC series or some new social media site or music or activities that are relevant to kids these days, they just seem so broad and so out of touch that it pulls me out of the episode and reminds me this is a show that airs on CBS.

24. SVUnCI says:

21.

Why hasn’t NBC aired the Rosemary’s Baby promo that aired during DAYS (but was interrupted by the NBC News Special Report [just as they were having sexy time in the shower] about the Boston bombing anniversary) in primetime yet?

25. Nate says:

#18. Yea i did that was really cool.

26. RUCookie says:

1) Grimm – I was just as freaked y the baby’s green eyes… may Wesley (cough, I mean the Royal who) live to regret this baby steal… its like lizard eyes!

27. Tina Majorino-Shepherd says:

I think Haddie’s coming out was a non-event. If the show is renewed, Haddie will probably already have gone back to Cornell and we won’t ever hear from her again…unfortunately. I think she is a good alternative to Amber…and the rest of the kids…ugh..can’t stand them. Seems like Haddie just has an attraction to this girl or the lesbian taboo or some college experimenting since she has been involved with guys in the past.

I would love to see Amber and Ryan together…and struggling…but NO MORE Hank and Sarah…ugh…can’t stand that pairing. It would even be nicer if Erica Christiensen and that bratty on screen daughter were replaced over the summer hiatus.

28. 4 – Aiden has never bothered me, but I don’t understand 90% of what Pascal says. Ever.
    9- And Trinity’s been on a up-swing and making great progress, while Joslyn’s been on a steady slide. TKB’s only real flaw in the interview was getting the name wrong. SO much more acceptable than making the interviewee completely uncomfortable with your tasteless questions.
    19 – Haddie’s return was a let down. I didn’t realize I don’t like her until they brought her back. My favorite part of Katims’ shows is the ad lib quality and she’s awful at it.

29. M. says:

2. Pete’s outfit and his demeanor. I kept expecting him to come out of the closet and former co-worker Salvatore to come strolling out of the bedroom wearing only a towel

21. What is mind-boggling is the fact that they are remaking a near-perfect film for television…and setting it in Paris???? WTF. New York City was like another character in the movie.

30. mprsmag says:

2- THE SANDWICHES!! duh.

31. tvgeek says:

11. I’m I the only one who finds Gabe/Trickster annoying. When he showed up this week I groaned with disgust.

32. cjeffery7 says:

19 – i like how they handled Haddie’s return, particularly that her having a girlfriend wasn’t this drawn out thing that rolled over into the next season (fingers crossed) causing drama. i mean, this IS parenthood, so i’m sure there will be some drama surrounding characters adapting to it, but i’m just glad it wasn’t necessarily around the realization/coming out part.

33. Angela says:

#8: Yeah, I kinda wanted Cody to stick around, too. I honestly felt really bad for Norman in this week’s episode as well-how upset he was in the interrogation room, and realizing the only person he felt close to at the moment, Cody, was leaving…and had no interest in staying in touch to boot! This show’s doing a freakishly good job of making us sympathize with Norman Bates.
    #12: The STD thing. No question. Though the scene with Artie in the restaurant only hearing words related to STDs was pretty funny.
    #14: Ha, oh, I have that episode recorded ’cause of Joel McHale, but I have yet to watch it. Now I’m sorta curious/nervous, though, thanks to that question. I sense Joel has no problem making a dork of himself on TV, though :).

34. Matt C. says:

Regarding #8…am I the only one who was disappointed when Bradley left? Especially when her character was starting to get interesting? Unlike Cody, however, Nicola Peltz is/was a regular, so the chances of her returning are much better.

As for Cody, I say good riddance. I hated her character from her first appearance. She witnesses him having a blackout and is told by his mother that this is a recurring problem, and what does she do? Gives him alcohol, takes him diving, pressures his other friend (who has cystic fibrosis) to do the same, and then acts surprised when he flips out on her? I don’t care how rebellious or “badass” she thought she was, that’s just plain stupid and reckless.

35. C says:

I hated that they wait 5 years to have a gay/bisexual character on the show, and they pick someone who hasn’t been on for a season, and probably won’t be on much more if the show is picked up. I also hated it for Haddies character, because I missed her, and I wanted her return to be about her, not her sexual preference/who she’s dated. I also weirdly disliked her girlfriend. I don’t know why, she just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I hate it the most because I REALLY wanted Max to be gay, and now that’s definitely never going to happen (for 1. the show might not come back, for 2. they’d never make two of Kristina&Adams three kids, and 3. if it took this long to make a guest character date someone of the same sex, it’s clear they’d never make a regular). Amber&Ryan were infuriating, too. He was a dick, the way he treated&left her; but once he’s hurt she’s by his side, having sex in his hospital bed? Not to mention the hilariously obvious way Amber flashed the box of the test to the camera. It’s just such a cheap cliffhanger, too. Anyways, I’m done venting = ).

• Carla Krae says:

Yes, that’s what bothers me about the Haddie choice – it’s a Stunt Story. There’s not a single thing organic about it. It clearly shows they had no idea what to do with Haddie, but they knew people wanted to see her again, so instead of a small guest appearance of “Hey, back for the summer”, we get time devoted to a random subplot while the plots of the *whole season* get less screen time. I wanted the finale to focus on what has actually been here all year, not what hasn’t.

• Anna says:

I really thought Max was going to be gay, too! I’ve been thinking that for a while now, but you’re right – they won’t make both Haddie and Max LGBTQ.

36. Dave says:

7) If Max, or Ryan, or anyone else for that matter, thought they could persuade Mike from killing Lily, then they were stupid. As soon as she had Mike’s father killed, you just knew Mike was going to find that loon and (rightfully so) kill her. And why not? After everything she put him through, not to mention the number of innocent people offed by her own little family of psychos? Lily was a good character, but she got what she deserved.

8) Bye girl bye! Not going to miss that white trash Cody at all! I want Emma to continue sexing Gunner, they’re cute together. Now if they would only find a better storyline for Dylan, I’m so over the whole drug family storyline.

10) I liked Thierry but after his original betrayal, I knew that his time on the show was limited. I just didn’t think that Elijah would have been the one to kill him.

17) How long must we wait until Enzo is stripped of his wardrobe? Bring Vicki back, bring ANYONE back, just please suck Elena and Damon into that netherworld because I’ve had it with those two whiny bores!

37. Forwardad says:

Should of Drew and Bluto gay :-)

Speaking of Drew believe his girlfriend Natalie hit a new series. Short lived love?

38. jenferner8 says:

#1-I was more creeped out by the “bond” that seems to have developed between Mama Grimm and Diana. Seriously, she’s really the only one who can seem to calm the demon? On the other hand it didn’t really look like Nick’s mom wanted to part with the thing, but it could have been because of the photo of Nick inside.
    Is it wrong that I wish Eric was the daddy and not Sean? How long before we get paternity test?

39. Carl says:

#5 duh the fake show was explicitly mentioned to be from AMC in the first TGW episode that it appeared, even used the same voiceover of “previously on amc’s…”

40. drhenning says:

#3 At least Natalie Dormer didn’t suffer the fate of her character on Tudors!!!!

41. CJ says:

Is it just me, or is Billy Eichner totally the Hazel Wassername of Parks and Rec? He’s really ruining this season for me. So painfully, annoyingly unfunny.

42. Britta Unfiltered says:

2. So is Ken just missing an eye now? I guess I sort of assumed his injury was temporary, and so was the eye patch. It never occurred to me he could have actually lost an eye. I liked Pete’s pants. It reminded me of the images of my parents from my baby pictures. I think my mom had that exact same pair of pants. Do you think Pete knew he was wearing women’s pants? Hahaha. Or maybe my mom had it wrong.
    3. Isn’t Marjory queen now? I sort of assumed she was a major suspect in his death to become queen without having him as her awful husband.
    5. I think Good Wife will still have that Emmy spot, but honestly, I would prefer it go to Masters of Sex. I know that’s not happening though.
    12. Both actually made me laugh.
    13. I totally missed that scene because it was Shabbos. I don’t roll on Shabbos. Seriously, I did miss the reference though. Grrr.
    21. I haven’t seen it, but that sounds pretty horrendous.

43. Aeol says:

#16. I said this out loud! It took me and my husband a month to pack up our one bedroom apartment last year.

44. Jms says:

First time ever to this site – just want to say that I absolutely LOVE Parenthood – didn’t love that Haddie came back as lesbian, but certainly thought she was believable. Thought last week’s show dealing with cancer and death of a friend was AMAZING and spot on – again.