The Voice Recap: Cold(play) Justice [Updated]

The Voice - Season 6If Mark Burnett & Co. want to convince me that The Voice is really about its contestants, not its coaches, tonight’s final installment of the Season 6 Battle Rounds was perhaps not the best form of ammunition.

Take, for example, the episode’s penultimate matchup, which found a pair of Adam Levine’s urban-leaning vocalists dueting on Usher’s “Climax.” Asked by Carson Daly which one had sung it better, Usher broke into a mischievous grin, then gave the answer we all hoped he’d resist (even if we knew it was his unfiltered truth): “Me!”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

I mean, dude, you’ve got enough money in your bank account to hire the entire Top 20 to serve as cater-waiters at your next 50 parties. Do you really need to steal their shine? (OK, OK, Usher’s a capella demonstration was pretty darn impressive, but you know what I’m saying…)

Anyhow, with the Battle Rounds now complete, we’re headed to the not-live, totally-decided-by-the-coaches Playoffs Round. (For more ranting about the voting not kicking in till April 21, please see the latest Reality Check video below).

But before I get sidetracked with rage, let me jump to a ranking of each of tonight’s Battles from least- to most-promising winner:

6. Team Blake: Ryan Whyte Maloney defeats Kaleigh Glanton on Rascal Flatts (featuring Natasha Bedingfield)’s “Easy” | Wait, wasn’t there an Option C: None of the Above? Well, there should’ve been!

5. Team Adam: Jake Barker defeats Brittnee Camelle on Usher’s “Climax” | Britnee’s sense of timing failed her a little in the opening verse, but I liked the way, as Adam noted, her voice pierced through the background music and made itself known. Jake improved a lot on his absolutely awful rehearsal footage, and his raspy falsetto (raspsetto?) is kinda cool, but my gut says he’s not yet performing with enough consistency and charisma to be a true Season 6 contender.

4. Team Usher: Bria Kelly defeats Madilyn Paige on The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” (Madilyn, who shoulda won, stolen by Blake) | If Madilyn, with her potent-yet-lilting tone had pulled off the win, I’d have ranked this Battle at No. 2 for the night. Sure, there were a few moments tonight where her attention seemed to drift during Bria’s solos, but there’s something so maple-syrup sweet about her voice, so earnest in her delivery, that it hearkens back to simpler times. (Wait, when did I turn into Oldie Nostalgiastern?) To my ears, Bria really struggled with pitch on the opening verse, or more specifically, in the instances where she wasn’t full-out belting. I really dug Bria’s audition, for what it’s worth I’d put it in the Top 5 of the season, but her subsequent followups have begun to make me wonder if she has more than one color in the Crayloa box, if you know what I mean.

3. Team Shakira: Dani Moz defeats Clarissa Serna on Pink’s “Perfect” | I’m not gonna lie…I got a little skittish hearing the line “bad decisions, that’s all right” knowing it was Shakira in the black robe sitting behind the bench. Yet while Dani’s tone still doesn’t strike me as especially distinctive, she definitely displayed superior power and a better grasp of pitch than Clarissa, who skidded off course every time she pushed her vocals too hard.

2. Team Adam: Kat Perkins defeats Dawn & Hawkes on K.T. Tunstall’s “Suddenly I See” | I’m not convinced either act was well-served by this song choice, but as Kat stalked the stage and Dawn & Hawkes stayed glued to the mic stand, it was hard not to feel like we were witnessing a main act/background singers relationship. From a pure vocal standpoint, Kat was a decisive winner, too, I thought, despite what Usher labeled politely as “a few difficult moments.” Now, all we have to do is hope Adam doesn’t keep Kat’s inner rock goddess in the same cage where Cee Lo’s stage cat and parrot are currently residing.

1. Team Usher: Melissa Jiménez defeats Music Box on Alicia Keys’ “Girl on Fire” | I loved the way Melissa delivered even the opening lines of the song with clarity and confidence and the way she made interesting little melodic choices to separate her cover from Alicia Keys’ original. No, she’s not in possession of Sisaundra-level horsepower or an instantly recognizable tone (see Josh Kaufman), but in terms of commercial pop voices, she seems like one of The Voice’s best prospect in several seasons. Music Box — who probably needed to change THAT NAME if she was gonna have any shot at winning — sounded solid in the opening stages, too — until nerves and a sense of desperation caused her vocals to tighten like a pair of brand new jeans in a dryer cycle. In other words, Usher made the right call.

OK, your turn…

What did you think of night three of the Battle Rounds (Pt 2)? Did anyone deserve to get the Save and didn’t? Who gave the best overall vocal of the night? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Joe says:

blake and madilyn together is going to be a deadly combination

• Dresdin says:

Because she looks like Danilelle Bradbery?
      I don’t think she’ll last much longer. Her pipes don’t compare to Ms. Bradbery’s.

• Taylor says:

But her unique tone will give Blake a chance to be creative like in earlier seasons. Xenia and Dia were amazing voices that Blake fostered in season 1.

2. Angie_Overrated says:

Usher chose poorly tonight on both battles. Madilyn clearly beat Bria and I thought Music Box kicked MJ’s butt up and down the ring. I thought MJ would take no prisoners, but man did she sound crappy on the chorus.
    Usher’s got no chance, IMO. It’s looking like another Blake or Adam win unless Shakira does something magical with Tess Boyer.

• OhMy says:

Music Box?? Really? Even if she won – it would be a slight, slight (slight) win.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I hated Music Box’s last battle, and I was fully expecting to hate her again tonight, but I thought she very clearly won. She handled the arpeggios on the Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh’s way better than MJ. And she handled the chorus a million times better than MJ. I thought very little of MJ after that battle. Not that I thought Music Box was amazing, but rather I feel like she should have won by default.

• Rivka Simons says:

I agree. It was closer than angie suggests.

• Kaba says:

Music Box is destined for failure until she forsakes that horrible stage name.
      Upset he put Bria and Madilyn against won another but I do think Madilyn won that. Though I doubt Bria will be able to overcome her slump.
      As for Mj vs Music Box…between the two one is just less fodder from the looks of it.
      All that matters tonight is that Dawn and Snores are gone.

• OhMy says:

Not sorry they are gone — I am sorry that Kat had to go on (that was painful).

• Angie_Overrated says:

I like Dawn & Hawkes now. They are what guaranteed Kat’s advance to the next round. Incredibly stupid song choice, but the girl is crazy talented and I can’t wait to hear her on a song more suitable for her voice.

• OhMy says:

I agree somewhat — bad song choice really hurt her. But man, she has to work on her stage presence — the most off putting of the season so far.

• Kaba says:

I’m really liking Kat. I pray she can overcome Adam’s songs.

• MamaLis says:

Oh, when I saw those song choices I completely and totally believe the battle was originally structured to pull Dawn & Hawks as the winner. Those were flower-child type songs, not Kat songs!! Thank God Adam had the good sense to see his original plan failed.

• HTGR says:

I think adam totally set it up for a guaranteed D&H loss.

• Rivka Simons says:

Seriously, Hawkes was the best male vocalist for his James Taylor style. I loved him awful. Dawn needs to tie that one bobbing-off beat hand behind her back.

• diane.peterson says:

I like Kat == hope she continues!!?!

• Rivka Simons says:

Kaba-I agree about Music Box as a woman’s name. Yuck! I volunteer to braid beautiful baby’s hair. His adorable face is in there somewhere.

• Yo says:

I expected Music Box to win because she clearly had the most powerful voice, but I thought her last performance bad, even though this was much better. I figured she may just be too inconsistent and that affected Usher’s choice. I think she should leave and come back with a new, better name, which which would not induce stammering every time someone says it.

3. LizzieB says:

Yay Madilyn <3

4. Bonquisha says:

I disagree. Bria definitely won Madylin (even though I lived both) but Bria proved she had a tender side. Quit the hate for Bria.

5. OhMy says:

Some poor song choices tonight — “Easy,” “Climax,” “Perfect,” and so forth. It made the night long(er).

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes. Oh dear lord, yes. They saved the worst for last. Other than Kat and Dani, I was not impressed by the vocals tonight either.

• MC says:

“Perfect” brought out the worst in Clarissa (and Dani didn’t do much better). It’s a truly terrible song for a singing competition. I wish they could have done “Just Give Me A Reason” instead. It was meant to be a duet and lends itself to some great harmonies.

6. M says:

Jake and Brittnee were infinitely better when they were under Usher’s care. Adam entirely undid the work Usher invested in them imo.
    Dawn and Hawkes are gone, thank God.
    Melissa, you better redeem yourself
    Bria, you better redeem yourself because Usher is giving you the most hardcore free passes ever.
    Madilyn, please stay lovely. You’re lovely.
    Dani Moz I declare you fodder.

7. Quinn Carson says:

After seeing everyone, I want to see Christina or Sisaundra take the win, but I still love Bria.

8. Kaba says:

Bria is underwhelming
    Madilyn can certainly win this
    Adam picks horrific songs for his team
    Clarissa…*sigh*
    Melissa Jimenez….I’ve seen better.

I wonder how the playoffs will go.

9. Kimbo says:

Can someone explain why those song choices were so terrible?
    Even Usher had me wanting to slap the taste out of his mouth.

• Rivka Simons says:

Songs were beaten to death by EVERY tv vocal audition in the past 10 yrs. Nothing fresh, and didn’t MJ do Alicia Keyes on her blind audition? Was it the same song?

• Vince V. says:

She did If I Ain’t Got You for her audition. They shoulda picked What A Girl Wants for their battle, the R&B version Judith Hill performed for her audition.

• MamaLis says:

I know, the songs these people choose are freaking ridiculous.

10. I found Madilyn to be so enjoyable tonight. She reminds me of Caroline Pennell, but with a bit more control/stronger voice. I’ve liked Bria, but she really fell flat for me. I think she forces her tone when she’s not belting. I’m happy Dawn & Hawkes are gone, low rent version of Johnnyswim.

• Kaba says:

I think Bria just can’t sing softly. It sucks since I want to like her a bunch since she’s representing Virginia. It’s just hard to be impressed with her lower register.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Madilyn is a much better singer than Caroline Pennell. No contest. And yes, Bria sucks when she’s not screaming atonally. I don’t care for the atonal screaming either, but maybe there’s a market for that that I don’t care to acknowledge.

• MC says:

Agreed that Madilyn is considerably better than Caroline Pennell. I also like that Madilyn is gradually building to her best performance and never tries to oversing the material.

11. JM says:

Wow. Shocked to see Madilyn as the favorite on the poll. She is bland and one-note to me.
    I also didn’t get some of the judges picks, as well as the other judges advice on who won.
    My take:

Clarissa beat Dani. So sad to see Clarissa go. Dani oversang it, imo. Shocked that so many thought Dani won.

Kat beat Dawn & Hawkes. No question there.

Melissa beat Music Box (whose name is ridiculous imo). Melissa has a great voice, and she is nice and genuine so I’m glad Usher kept her against what Shakira and Blake said.

Kaleigh beat Ryan. I heard Ryan hit some really bad notes at one point in the performance. Why the judges thought he won is beyond me.

Jake beat Brittnee, and I have to give the guy props for forcing the issue on Usher’s song. That def. was a better song for him.

Bria beat Madilyn. See note above.

Knew Blake would steal Madilyn–he has a thing for 16 year old girls.

• Sara says:

Clarissa was pretty much flat for her entire vocal performance tonight. It pains me to say (because her Blind is one of the few that I actually remember), but I really don’t think she did well in this Battle and deservedly was sent home.

• Liz says:

Nearly everything you wrote is just so… wrong. lmao. Clarissa did not beat Dani, Kaleigh did not beat Ryan and Jake (awful sounding falsetto!) certainly did not beat Brittnee.

• MC says:

I agree that Kaleigh beat Ryan, but imo Blake dumped Kaleigh because he knew he would add (or had already added depending on the order of the battles) Madilyn to his team. Blake knew that Madilyn was going to be his pet project and he wanted to focus on her going forward. Incidentally, I disagree that Madilyn is bland. She is simply understated and that is unusual on these tv singing shows.

12. dan says:

All I have to say is… shakira will regret sending home Clarissa. Dani might have won that battle, but long term I believe Clarissa could have won. Her departure frankly repulsed me.

13. Kaba says:

Team setups for next week
    Blake:
    Madilyn
    Sisaundra
    Audra/Jake

Adam:
    Christina
    Delvin
    Kat? (Idk…I really like Jake Barker and Morgan for some odd reason)

Shakira:
    Tess Boyer…cause idgaf about the rest

Usher:
    Bria
    Josh
    Melissa

• Kaba says:

(ideal setups btdubs)

• Angie_Overrated says:

These look correct. I forgot Usher stole Josh. So he does have a contender. To make a smaller list of simply contenders, I’d say
      Blake: Madilyn, Sisaundra
      Adam: Kat, Christina and Delvin
      Shakira: Tess
      Usher: Josh
      Not a bad group of 7. This is a great season despite tonight’s crappy song choices.

• Kaba says:

Yeah, based on where they’re at now I agree. I’m hoping Usher will work whatever magic he worked season 4 and really buff up his team.

• Dresdin says:

There is no way Blake will pick Madilyn when he’s got Jake W, Sisuandra, and Audra McL!
          And Usher will pick T.J. over M.J. any day of the week.

• Sarah says:

Unless he crashes and burns no way Blake eliminates Jake (Worthington). I think he’s Blake’s protege, and he’s going to hang onto him if he can.

• Adake says:

I overall agree with your top 10. Rounding out Shakira’s team, I think she will choose Deja and Dani (she should have kept Clarissa). Blake will keep Jake, Sisaundra, and either Audra or Madilyn. Since Kristen was the only winner montaged in the Battles 2, my guess is she will be eliminated. Personally, my top to bottom teams are Team Adam, Team Usher, Team Blake, and then Team Shakira. I really liked Brittnee so was sorry to see her eliminated.

14. Name This Tune says:

I heard a lot of singing, but at some point, they need to let us get involved. We started at 48. And they still need 2 more weeks to get it down to a place where we can vote?

15. More and more, there’s something fishy about Season 6. I’m convinced that the S6 winner will always have an asterisk (*) attached to his or her name because TPTB (Mark Burnett et al) overstepped their boundaries. As bad as it sounds, I sense that a ‘fix’ is in place — perhaps not for a particular artist, but for a particular coach — somebody other than
    Adam or Blake. Team Usher wins because that’s what they wanted. Game over.

• MC says:

I suppose you could say that Adam dumping Josh for Delvin was slightly “fishy.” Josh, however, is good enough to win this season regardless of his team affiliation imo.

• rio says:

Unless there’s a huge bonus, I don’t see why any coach would really care who ‘won.’ There’s not even a trophy, is there?

16. USC says:

Don’t get the Bria hate, and to me, she won the battle hand’s down. Madilyn is bland, and pretty much a stronger version of Holly from last year, which works out well for team alignment.

Brittnee has a rather lovely voice, but her moaning style at times and her facial expressions are just ridiculous. I can’t be the only one who thinks she has an “I really need to fart” face when she sings.

To me, all of the favorites have flaws that need to be worked on pretty noticeably, so the competition really is wide open this year.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I can’t speak for all the Bria haters, but I’ll tell you why I do not care for her.
      She’s got the gritty rock thing going, but vocally her style is not sustainable. She’s going to blow her voice out in no time flat with those screams. And tonight while singing a song where she couldn’t scream, she sounded terrible. Listen to her vowel modulations where she’s singing a completely different vowel than the vowel the word actually asks you to sing. That’s the sign a true amateur. I think she might be good in the future, but she’s got some fairly serious technical issues to work out first.

• Brandy says:

I wonder how different it must be to watch this show as someone who knows the ins and outs of vocals all together. Does it make it harder to be impressed with people if they don’t meet your vocal standards? I’m guessing it’s infinitely easier to be impressed with these singers when you can’t notice every single vocal problem going on outside of pitch, vibrato, and emotion. I’d like to think that I have an easier time enjoying a lot of these artists because I can’t note every little thing wrong with them outside of simple cases of them being underwhelming.
        Pardon my long and probably excessive thought/question haha.
        Just something I’d been meaning to ask.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It’s an interesting question, one I’ve thought about myself. Here’s my $0.02. Ultimately I think the question is moot because the non-singers typically arrive at consensus with the singers. Case in point, the first judging panel of Idol of Cowell, Abdul and Jackson was typically spot on. I almost always agreed with what they were saying, even if they didn’t have the vocabulary to articulate exactly what they did and didn’t like. Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule, but in the end, it feels like both groups arrive at the same conclusion.

• USC says:

I recognize many of the same issues that you do, which is why I said that every contender has a serious flaw this season. Take last year, for instance, where you had Tessanne and Will who were technically spot-on and essentially finished products, and compare it to this year where many of the people are legitimate works in progress. That issue has been my problem with the hate of her as it is complete hyperbole and borderline unjust vitriol.

17. Davey says:

I actually did not like Kat tonight at all. Or Ryan.

• Timmah says:

I thought Kat sounded terrible. In fact, as much as I don’t care for Dawn and Hawkes I thought they should have won.

18. gracelessk says:

I think they’re shedding Grimmie in the Playoffs, hence the no-vote.

Also, Bria would have ran over Madilyn if they’d let her sing that song. Instead, Madilyn brought her down to her level, and the result was crap from both.

19. Lisa says:

I’m so confused that Christina’s name keeps coming up in peoples’ lists of front runners. I can barely remember her and thought she was a pretty bland singer. Is all the love from her YouTube success?

Right now Blake has the strongest overall team and will be the hardest to narrow down to 3. I think all of the coaches have a possible winner on their team though.

• Kaba says:

The girl has a stellar voice…
      Her audition is more than proof and regardless of how her battles have gone her voice is far from bland.

• Quinn Carson says:

Christina is fantastic, I think she’s been very consistent.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Christina’s voice is money. It does have a slightly run-of-the-mill quality to it, but she does a whole lot with her voice that I’m not hearing from many of the other contestants with flexibility, power in all three registers, etc. I give her a very solid A-minus.

• Kaba says:

Exactly, and if it weren’t money she wouldn’t have such a large youtube following.
          The girl has worked for/with idol at one point. She’s great

20. Timmah says:

I think Daniel Boone let Blake steal the winner tonight.

21. lynn says:

It’s become fashionable to pick whoever Bria is against because she’s the favorite, and Usher isn’t sticking her against weaklings. Don’t be silly. She sang a song in Madilyn’s lane and was in control and quite frankly, sang it better. Just because she isn’t slaughtering people it doesn’t mean she didn’t win.

I thought Melissa was pretty good. Not better than Bria, but pretty good. Kat beat the duo. Dani beat Clarissa..even though I wanted the others to stay. Can’t speak for the Usher rejects and Ryan and Kaleigh because I missed those.

22. Liz says:

I thought Melissa and Jake were both AWFUL!

23. Titina says:

You put Melissa 1st? Really? Come on! She is nothing special: Just an Alicia Keys wannabe.
    Jake was just OK. Again, he is nothing special and just a JT wannabe.

I guess Madilyn was the only good one and even she, is not amazing.
    All my faves already sang the previous week.

Lastly, Bria is so overrated. I am not impressed. Each week she is getting worse.

Usher right now, only has one contestant who has real potential. JMHO.
    Here´s hoping he can coach him well.

24. Titina says:

BTW I still Stevie Jo is Usher´s secret weapon in this race. That kid is special and he hash´t even showed us his best yet. Hope he continues to grow.
    I am sick of contestants like Josh. Nothing special.. Too old fashioned..

• Kaba says:

Contestants like Josh? How many of those do we even get?

• MamaLis says:

Really? Cuz I don’t get the Stevie Jo thing at all. Like…. At all, at all.
      There are 100,000 people with technically solid voices that don’t have the “je ne sais cois” required for entertainment.

• HTGR says:

He seems overrated to me. I like, for instance, Bria from this week way better than him.

25. Jules says:

They all have the one that they have soft spots for but sometimes that works in their favor. This season Blake has Jake, Shakira has Deja, Usher has Stevie Joe and after this week it seems Adam has other Jake. I’d be happy with any of them moving on except maybe Deja. She cute but boring as hell. And even though I don’t like country music at all, I really like Jake W. Excited to see how far Stevie Joe goes too.

• Kaba says:

Bria has has horrible battles and definitely didn’t win either. I’m fairly certain his soft spot is for Bria.

26. Ram510 says:

Am I the only one who thought Ryan did awesome? And I’m not even really a country fan

27. tealeaves says:

My favorite performance of this season, by far, is tonight’s performance of I’ll Stand By You. It is literally the first performance all season that I have replayed just to hear it again. It might not have been perfect vocally, but they both have interesting voices and they blended well together. I am so happy Blake stole Madelyn. I wanted them both to go thru.

28. analythinker says:

For those who think Clarissa would have better chance in bringing Shakira to the finale (or at least staying longer than Dani), if you say so because of the promise she gave at the audition… well, she hasn’t exactly lived up to that promise, so I’m not sure if there’s a “long run” for her. (And yes, like Michael, I thought Jeremy was -slightly- better.)

• NotVirgin Mary says:

There have only been 3 performances from her shown. No one can possibly say that she was going downhill. The song choice didn’t suit her in the first place. Clarissa’s tone and intricacies are what makes her special, and poppy songs like this don’t let her show either. Dani’s only strength is her range. Her tone is run of the mill and bland. She wasn’t in her element, like she was in her audition and battle. Dani oversang it, and forced Clarissa to try and balance that out, but her range isn’t her strong suit, so she stumbled.

• analythinker says:

Who says Clarissa’s going downhill? I said she hasn’t lived up, I think there’s a difference. While I agree that her tone is better than Dani’s, it just hasn’t been shown up to its potential, which is a shame (bc of the song choices). I wish her the best, though.

• dan says:

Did you even see her Cold as Ice performance? Her vocals were immaculate. She was the one contestant I was excited about. As you can tell I’m pretty bitter…

• analythinker says:

I already commented on that performance ;) to my ears, she was not completely in the pocket in that song.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

She wasn’t in her genre, so of course she can’t live up to one of the best auditions ever (In my opinion.)
          Cold as Ice was amazing, so either way, the only bum performance was this, because it obviously wasn’t her wheelhouse.

Ugh, we really didn’t need a second round of battles. It’s impossible to get a song that fits two different artists perfectly. I miss the knockouts.

29. analythinker says:

I’m gonna be bold and make predictions for the live show (note: I have been wrong a lot this season, heh).

Team Adam: Kat Perkins, Delvin Choice, Morgan Wallen
    Team Blake: Sisaundra Lewis, Jake Worthington, Madilyn Paige
    Team Shakira: Dani Moz, Tess Boyer, Patrick Thomson
    Team Usher: Stevie Jo, Josh Kaufman, Bria Kelly

• Timmah says:

Not bad, but there’s no way Adam picks Morgan over Grimmie.

• analythinker says:

Oh, yes way, but maybe not Adam’s decision and the producer’s aka TPTB instead, heh. You know, to avoid huge voting gap… unless TPTB wants money that bad.

• Dresdin says:

Here are my predictions:
          Team Adam: Christina Grimmie, Delvin Choice, Morgan Wallen
          Team Blake: Sisaundra Lewis, Jake Worthington, Audra McLaughlin
          Team Shakira: Dani Moz, Tess Boyer, Deja Hall
          Team Usher: Josh Kaufman, Bria Kelly, T.J. Wilkins

• Timmah says:

I must have missed something, because I have no idea what you’re talking about with the voting gap or the money.

• analythinker says:

You don’t think Grimmie’s fans won’t be the first in line to buy her song/power-vote once she’s in the live show? Or is there any vote limitation I missed the memo of?

• davey says:

I really hope Kat gets eliminated soon. She has no chance to win.

• analythinker says:

She never missed a note to me. And she’s my #1, followed by Josh. If Sisaundra’s my cup of tea, she would be #1.

30. Kovan2 says:

Wow, Shakira is an idiot! She COULD have had such a strong team with Emily B. Ddendyl, Clarissa and Tess but she completely BLEW it. What a fail!

• Simon says:

Agreed. And I was rooting for Shakira until now, since she’s so likable. But she’s so off her game this season, especially with the whole Ddendylgate thing. I really hope Shakira’s right about what that Deja girl is capable of, because she hasn’t shown it yet.

• Sululu says:

Shakira has a weak team indeed.

• I found it interesting that with both Deja and Dani, Shakira said she picked who she could help the most. Um, no Shakira, pick who was the best. You cannot help anyone when they are quickly voted out by America when they make the Live Shows. I have a feeling the first bottom three of the season will all be from Shakira’s team.

31. Hilary says:

Madilyn is my favorite by far. Last week she had me in tears with that beautiful performance and it is the only one I’ve purchased on iTunes from any singing show this year. I thought she sang beautifully insight and Bria seemed like an unwelcome interruption. She just tries too hard. I liked her at first, but she’s not keep

32. Simon says:

The teams are already narrowed down enough that the contestants should be starting to compete against each other, and not within their own teams. If we’re gonna narrow it down to the 12 best singers, Shakira really only deserves one of those spots. I think even the weakest links on Adam’s and Blake’s teams are probably better than everyone on Shakira’s team except for Tess. But if I had to predict each team’s top 3:

Blake: Sisaundra, Jake, Madilyn
    Usher: Stevie, Josh, Bria
    Shakira: Tess, Patrick, Deja
    Adam: Definitely Delvin, definitely not Morgan, but the other 3 are a toss-up.

My personal favorites happen to be one from each team: Sisaundra, Stevie, Tess, Jake B.

• grenador says:

Same opinion abt the fav. list…but from team Adam I lean towards Delvin…And I am really waiting what Usher’s gonna do to surprise us with Stevie Jo.( better not be he cuts Stevie’s ponytail :-P)

33. Sululu says:

Bria is not that good. Blake with Madilyn = success.

34. 30CamdenSquare says:

So Michael, alot of time I agree w/ your critiques, but Ryan Maloney 6 of 6 tonight? Wow, just wow Michael.

35. Noski says:

Honestly I did not get why they choce “climax”such a hard song to sing.They got it wrong and the song suited more for Jake but the performance wasthe worst,so painful to watch .

Rooting for Baby Kelly I actually saw some of her acoustic covers,she has a very tender soft voice maybe she was a bit shaky in the beginning but Usher made the right call. because she will shione individually given the right song choice.Check her out.Some of you may change their mind cannot wait for them to shine individualy though ,that whenthe public gets really connected .
    Also Shakira said it herself in one of her recent itw that she is aware that her battle winners may be the wrong song choices.At least she knows?.

Dani has great vocals but I watched Clarissa more.There’s something about her and Shak maybe should have thought about long term.

So far she lost Ddendyl,Clarissa,Emily B,Jeremy Briggs ,Cierra and the only person I can see being a true conder is Tess(that she stole).Ironic.I don’t see her winning .but I have a feeling she’s gonna drop Deja.I like her innoncence.

I really Like BRIA she just has something that makes me wanna watch her,a certain pose and her personnality comes accross but I wasn’t wowed but I do not worry.
    I aam also rooting for Christina.I really like her voice,been listening to her youtube covers for a cpoule of years now.
    Delvin’s voice is so deep.I love it
    Sisaundra is a Diva Im ecxcited for her next performance.
    I was impressed by Tess as well.Her tone is gorgeous.
    Josh Kaufman’s voice is amazing and Usher needs to pick him.

My top 12

Team Usher
    Bria
    Josh
    Tj/Stevie Joe ?
    Ps:I have a feeling the Usher might sneak in Melissa there.I don’t see him letting go of Stevie.

Team Adam
    Christina
    Delvin
    Kat?I don’t know.I don’t really care about the 3rd but Adam might surprise us here because he seems to like Kat a lot.

Blake
    Sisaundra
    Audra

Jake/Madilyn?Ior Ryan I don’t know who would be the 3rd because I think he won’t drop neither Sisaundra or Audra
    But you never know with these coaches

Shakira
    Tess
    Deja
    Dani?Kristen?
    Tess is a lock but not sure about the others.Anyway hard to predict because of her past choices

Coaches make really weird choices and people wondering about Adam not picking Chriistina ,Blake not picking Jake and Shak Deja..I think they deserve to be there

36. ElleKay says:

I’m really hating on having a second battle round instead of a knockout…I’m suffering from duet fatigue. I don’t think the song choices were all the singers’ fault, they only had 3 to choose from and in most cases thought they went for the least cringe worthy choice.

D&H also never got a chance to just be a duo since their blind auditions, and I would have preferred just hearing the rest of them sing solo. Plenty of time for group performances and more duets when the live shows start.

I don’t know anyone who actually likes no voting or other public input until after playoffs, except maybe the producers or whoever concocted the new format. Even iTunes is crying.

• HTGR says:

agreed
      Another round of battles was not what we needed and it really killed chances of some, such as D&H in most particular (I loved their audition. But then they got saddled with a bad choice last time and pushed a bit into the background this time, I mean really, picking his power rocker to run around the stage against them, what the heck. Even he had to admit both his choices and the new format basically them.)

37. Angie_Overrated says:

I just had a revelation relistening to MJ’s performance. I still hate her peformance of Girl on Fire, but I realized it was the wrong song for her. To sing that song, you have to have a forceful chest voice to bring up to your high notes, which Music Box (ugh, THAT NAME!) had and MJ doesn’t. MJ’s voice is actually very similar to Beyonce. I’d love to hear her do “If I was a boy” for her next performance. Or almost anything by Beyonce for that matter. I think she has the goods to nail it.

• HTGR says:

excellent points all around (including yes she needs to change her name fast!! when a name has people rooting against you before you even open your mouth…. that is exactly what a stage/staged name is NOT supposed to do for you). MB did do a lot better this time, although I’m still not crazy about some of her affectations. MJ had some cool things she did with the song, but as you say it made her sound too thin in parts since it didn’t match her voice.

38. Vince V. says:

Top 12:
    Adam- Delvin, Kat, Morgan
    Blake- Sisaundra, Jake, Madilyn
    Shakira- Tess, Deja, Dani
    Usher- Bria, Melissa/ Stevie Jo, Josh

Grimmie might take an exit. I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t make it. Why else the no vote? She has a hardcore fan base. Jake reminds me alot of Josiah from season 4. Patrick and Kristen are blah to me. Audra is good, but still a little bland, no way Blake’s putting her in over Jake, Sisaundra, and Madilyn and Ryan can’t compete with them either. I put Melissa/Stevie Jo because Usher really likes both of them, and will only keep one of them. Oooh, wouldn’t it be interesting if he both of them in and kicked Bria to the curb?

39. Griffin says:

I thought Dani and Clarissa’s battle was close because of the way Clarissa navigated the song that was more in Dani’s wheelhouse. And even if vocally Dani may have outdone her, in the long run Clarissa flying solo would have been a great combo with Shakira. In season 4 she had Monique who would’ve done great things with Shakira but she picked Karina. Maybe Shakira is trying to build a less strong team and be able to focus her attention on Tess once everyone else is gone? Also, I think this second round of battles has done a disservice to many artists. Had Dawn and Hawkes been able to sing together alone in a Knockout they could’ve picked a song that would’ve suited them better and also not forced them to compete with Kat for attention. I do think there is a fix going on to try to get Usher or Shakira to win since they may use this opportunity of no live voting to eliminate Christina, which is stupid because they knew what they were getting into when they allowed her to audition.

40. Karen says:

I have been watching the UK version of the voice. The audience doesn’t get a say until they are down to 3 people per coach and the coach gets to pass on through, so technically the audience only gets to choose one person. Turned out the next show the audience kept each coaches saves for the final shows. They also only get about a 10 to 15 minute voting window for the finale. I kind of like the way they do it.

41. NotVirgin Mary says:

Ugh, Shaki. I’m really dissapointed in her decisions. First Ddendyl, and now Clarissa. I couldn’t stop watching her battle and audition, and I’m really hung up over her being gone. I wish we had a say in this earlier. ‘Alexander the Great’ strategist my ass.

42. Name This Tune says:

Kind of wondering how the playoffs are supposed to work. Are they singing against members of their own team or against someone on another team?

43. Nicole says:

I think Adam has a budding bromance with Jake and will be reluctant to let him go. Similar to his time with Tony Lucca.

• Dresdin says:

There’s no possibly way Adam takes Jake into the Top 12. He’s the worst singer on the team and damn lucky to be there.

• Simon says:

I disagree. Yeah, he’s probably more likely to go with the three that have been with him since the beginning, but Jake definitely has a shot if he outperforms one of them. I could see Kat or Christina having a shaky vocal or get unexpectedly booted à la Preston Pohl. IMO the only lock is Delvin.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

lol Kat having shaky vocals. That’s unlikely. She is so comfortable on stage and practically pitch perfect. The people who have those issues are Christina, Jake, and Morgan. That’s about it. I’m thinking Jake and Morgan get booted, or so I hope.

44. analythinker says:

Usher referring to Rascal Flatts as “he” though… :D #hedoesnotknowcountry (of course, he might be referring to Ryan though)

45. MamaLis says:

As a female it was somewhat disgusting to see Britnee walk into the Battle practices having chosen Usher’s Climax.
    -Clearly that wasn’t the best song for her.
    -Clearly she didn’t want to do that song.
    -Clearly she wasn’t happy about the decision.
    -Clearly she tried to diplomatically negotiate a song that was in BOTH of their best interests.
    -Clearly she lost the negotiation.

She knew what was best for her, yet somehow – she let JAKE make the final decision and choose a song that would ultimately highlight HIS best vocal features. I liked him until that Battle. But that was bullish*t. Almost every other pair of partners worked together to choose a song they both liked.

Not Jake. He knew Usher was in HIS lane and obviously, he continued until he got his way.
    Why do we females allow this to happen?

Regardless, I thought she did a GREAT job and easily could have won the battle.

• Simon says:

After Jake said he wanted to do Climax, Brittnee said something like, “well it IS a cool song…” I don’t think she was as opposed to it as you’re saying. To me it just seemed like the two of them were leaning equally in two different directions, and my guess is someone behind the scenes pushed for the Usher song because the fact that they both came from Usher’s team made it interesting.

• Timmah says:

I think she said it was a cool song because she didn’t want to be perceived as dissing Usher. I definitely got the vibe that she was trying to get Jake to pick a different song.

• MamaLis says:

N-n-noo. Yes, She agreed they were both “cool songs.” But she specifically stated she thought they should do whatever the heck that OTHER song was because it was in the “middle of both of their ranges” and it would allow them to BOTH do some vocal acrobatics. (I’m paraphrasing the motion she made with her hands. =)

Mr. Jake then took it back to himself and Usher, stating the Usher song would essentially allow him to showcase his “falsetto” and he’d really like to “take that risk.”

She said, “I don’t know, that’s really high…..”

Silence……

Then they walk back into rehearsal and Adam asks how it went/what song they chose and with a weird inflection & vibe, she said, “We picked Usher.”

• HTGR says:

nah, she was totally pushed into it. I actually thought it kinda back-fired against Jake a bit, but I guess just because he managed to not totally mangle the falsetto this time and managed to semi-sorta-just pull off a song with nothing but falsetto, they rewarded him, in just the crafty way he said he expected.

46. HTGR says:

For the first time I was a bit annoyed.
    Adam totally torpedoed Dawn&Hawkes. I mean he puts them against the one singer that you knew he was going to pick no matter who she up against or what happened and then he goes on about how much Dawn&Hawkes were favorite. Why didn’t he put each of them up against his saves if he really felt that way? They also got totally shafted by the new double battle round format. Even Adam said they hadn’t gotten to be remotely well showcased since the audition! And then despite that he puts them into a no win battle. The only thing I can image is that maybe, maybe he thought that would make them most likely to get saved by someone else? He always annoys me with what he does in Battle Rounds, majorly, once a season at least. I loved their audition. And they were good tonight, just the way he set the pairing it forced them into being backup singers for the most part, so it just wasn’t fair at all. They were one of the few duos that I’d ever been way up on at the start. Oh well. :( Too bad they were this year’s Adam’s total shaft treatment.
    Kaleigh got kind robbed IMO. And it’s hard to not sound shaky and tentative at first when the other guy is given the entire first half of the song in solo and you are given like 1 second little interludes to try to break in during all of that time. Maybe it wasn’t the top group anyway, but I did not remotely like that call all, whatsoever. bah.
    So Jake picks a bad song for the two of them and basically forces it on Brittnee and then he gets rewarded for daring to use his not so hot falsetto (if much improved from last week’s falsetto)?? Why did Adam pair his saves against each other instead of seeing if either could actually have taken down one of his original picks? Other than Jake’s falsetto part last week, he was decent last week, but other than the non-falsetto parts last week, he has seemed kinda weak too me. As kinda absolutely not what you needed him to say as it was, the sad fact is that when Usher came out and said that he sang it best, it was the truth by a mile. I think Adam just saw Jake doing well with the ladies and if he can manage even a pseudo-passable falsetto here and there then 10x more so and duos not going far (although did he not see x-factor?) unless they are pure country.

47. Carson says:

This season has been pretty disappointing compared to last. The only singers I really enjoyed were Clarissa (blond audition) and Sisaundra. Also, not a fan of the new format with two battle rounds. The knockouts were more exciting to watch.