Ratings: Parenthood Ticks Up to 6-Month High, Vampire Diaries Hits Low, Wonderland Rises

Parenthood - Season 5Beloved NBC bubble drama Parenthood this Thursday night drew a best-since-season premiere audience of 4.4 million total viewers (up 5 percent week-to-week) while ticking up a tenth to a best-since-Oct. 3 demo rating of 1.4.

Opening the Peacock’s night, a Hollywood Game Night rerun scored a 1.2 rating (versus the 1.1 and 1.2 most recently tallied by Community and Parks), while a fresh Game Night at 9 o’clock did a 1.1.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Parenthood, Community and 26 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

Chris Meloni’s return to TV, via Fox’s Surviving Jack, was watched by 5.1 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating on Thursday night. That marks retention of 65 and 68 percent out of American Idol. Opening Fox’s night, Hell’s Kitchen was flat with 5.2 mil/1.8, while the half-hour Idol (7.9 mil/1.9) dipped 6 percent and a tenth.

Over on ABC, Wonderland‘s penultimate episode (3.3 mil/0.9) and Grey’s Anatomy (8.1 mil/2.5) each ticked up a tenth, while Scandal (8.8 mi/3.1) rose two tenths.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Already Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s Still on the Bubble?

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (1.7 mil/0.7) fell 36 percent to a series low rating, while Reign (1.5 mil/0.6) dipped one tenth.

1. Name This Tune says:

The downward Idol trend continues.
    Waiting for next Thursday to see the new series low.

2. Lea says:

LOL, what happened to TVD?!? O.o

• spindae2 says:

Poor writing, jumping through stories,inconsistency and Delena etc.

• Elyse says:

Pretty much!

• Ally Oop says:

Agreed! I’m a longtime fan but these last two seasons have been horrid.

• Elyse says:

I have to force myself to watch TVD each week. I just keep waiting for it to get good again.

• Maki says:

Things were excellent while Kevin W. was on the project, great with Julie leading but Carolne Dries leading now is a catastrophe. They have solid and funny moments but character development and stroy progression is missing ut completely.

• meleliot says:

Unfortunately I also agree with you. It’s just awful lately.I keep counting down the days til the end of the season. At this point I’m just watching by rote and not enjoying it at all. Too bad.

• Brooke says:

Delena on its own is not boring. Damon going bad AGAIN after being rejected by Elena (though it was Katherine in disguise) AGAIN was terribly boring. Seriously Damon, get a new trick.

• Elyse says:

The love triangle in general is boring to me. Be together or don’t. Be with one brother or the other… I really don’t care who. But for the love of all that is holy just end the love triangle!!

• Mark says:

The hassle TVD has and the Originals will find they can only write a love triangle so many ways, make a person go bad and become good, have two people who hate each other and reconcile. There is only so many ways this can be done before it becomes old and stale. Seasons 1 -4 were good on TVD now its pretty much a rehash without the Originals to liven things up worst thing they good have done is split the shows.

• Mark says:

damn phone I mean could have done — wish there was an edit function sometimes

• Brooke says:

Yeah, everything is a mess now. TVD was must-see watching for me, now I’m just rolling my eyes this season. The Originals is a mess from the get-go, I was super intrigued by the witches and Marcel both not being what they seemed at first, but it’s already so muddy and without any clear direction or overall narrative arc.

Two shows set in this universe is just too much each week, especially when neither are firing on all cylinders. The Originals has NOT managed to be its own show with its own voice the way that Angel did when it spun off from Buffy.

• spindae2 says:

Yeah I believe it depends on what you like as a watcher I loved the tension created between Delena by season 3 end but Damon should’ve stayed just a temptation cause he is 100 degrees wrong from all Elena belives.

• Dina says:

I know in northern California the baseball game pushed VD to 11:00 so I have to watch it on Hulu.

• Dave says:

What happened is…enough is enough with the Damon & Elena crap! So boring and so repetitive! As far as I’m concerned, I’d be pleased if Klaus came back to town and killed them both!

• Joe G says:

it’s turned into a freakshow,hard to keep up with them.

3. jimbo says:

GO PARENTHOOD! C’mon NBC, renew it already.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Is that good for Surviving Jack?

• Lilly says:

For Fox yes, that is a good rating. To put it in perspective it tied with B99 this week and was only .1 lower than Bones. The problem is…shows tend to dip a bit after the premier. We will have to wait and see next week.

• Elyse says:

TV by the numbers cancel bear said on twitter that it’s bear chow :( so not looking good.

5. Eric7740 says:

Greys was okayk last night, Vampire was okay last night, Scandal was awesome (as always) Parenthood was great!!! And Surviving Jack was very funny, I’ll stick with it!!! Just don’t screw it up like you did Enlisted, FOX!!!

6. kate'shomesick says:

Parenthood was GREAT. So glad that Julia is moving on. It’s realistic…

• Kim R says:

Great episode and I agree about Julia. It is realistic. She has already tried several times and how can you move toward a healing if the other person isn’t having it? She needs to at least stop going backwards. At this point Joel is making his bed….. I also loved Adam teaching Max to surf with Christine watching. It was nice to see joy for Max. :)

7. Eric says:

Last night was the first episode of Parenthood that I have ever watched live, and the ratings soared. Coincidence? I think probably.

8. Maggie says:

Parenthood is the BEST show on he air. Great writers and amazing actors.

• Ally Oop says:

What I like most about Parenthood’s writing is that it manages to write normal family events in an interesting way. It doesn’t rely on soapiness or action or other big plot devices. I also love that it’s a multigenerational show with real characters–people I could imagine knowing in real life. I hate that it’s buried so late on Thursday nights.

9. Babybop says:

Maybe Vampire Diaries is hitting a low because nobody knows what the hell is going on anymore and they’re giving up. Because seriously, it’s gotten really confusing lately.

• wrstlgirl says:

I lost track of time last night so I missed the first 20 minutes of the show but by the end of the hour I realized I missed nothing :-(

• sarah says:

You did miss quite a bit in the first 20 mins.

• wrstlgirl says:

I read two recaps and it didn’t appear to be much other than Delena dreaming about sexing each other and Caroline and Enzo talking about doppelganger nonsense. Was their something significant?

• James says:

its honestly not that confusing….why do people think it is, I have no idea why

• Eric7740 says:

I am getting confused with this Traveler stuff. I have not been as excited to watch the Vampire Diaries as I usually am.

10. Nicole says:

I know Wonderland is all but cancelled but good for them for upticking! These last few episodes have been really clicking and hopefully it’ll go out next week with another bump up.

• kirads09 says:

I agree. It has really picked up steam as it has gone along. I love it. I want Anna back for Will/The Knave. I really have grown to love Emma Rigby as the Red Queen!! I know it was only meant to be one season from the start. But still hoping against hope for more. I would love to see a journey to Agrabah – maybe Cyrus and Alice help Aladdin with Jasmine (or the other way around). Yay for better ratings no matter what.

• Meg says:

According to TVLine’s renewal scorecard OUATIW is officially cancelled. Also, I’m pretty sure the promo for next week’s episode said it’s the series finale.

11. sarah says:

Vampire Diaries was really good, I hope this was a one time thing.
    Happy that Greys ticked up and REALLY happy about Parenthood, I hope it gets renewed.

12. Anon says:

Parenthood sucks. Please cancel it already. Nobody watches it, especially me (proud to say I’ve never seen an episode).

• Coal says:

Ah ? Why exactly does a show that you don’t watch and by you own admission never watched go ? How does its been on air make a difference to you ?

• Eric7740 says:

First off, you’re missing a great quality tv show. and I guarantee if you were to go to Netflix and watch some episodes, you’re opinion would hopefully change because it is honestly an excellent series.

• herman1959 says:

WHAT?

• Elyse says:

Why would you wish for a show you’ve never seen an episode of to be canceled?

13. Coal says:

Okay I’ve spent the entire day bashing Scandal, but damn 3.1 ? That’s great going even if I currently have issues with the show.

• Eric7740 says:

Scandal is amazing!! It’s probably the “IT” show of the moment, and rightfully so. Sure it maybe far-fetched, but its highly entertaining, and that TV shows are suppose to be, entertaining and a form of escapism from life for a bit.

14. Christina says:

Return of Mark Cyr and the ratings increase?! Yay parenthood! I’m sad he was only back for one episode. I was fully team mark/sarah, but at this point he deserves better.

15. Guest says:

Vampire Diaries is awful now! They ruined it with the Damon/Elena relationship b/c in order for that relationship to happen the writers had to commit character assassination on all of the other characters. They are also not following any direct story lines, but instead are jumping all over the place. They write something and then solve it in the next two episodes. None of the characters interact and the majority of screen time is Damon and Elena and their horrible toxic relationship!

16. Boone says:

What happened to Vampire Diaries? =O Arrow, The 100 and The Originals are better but…

• grm says:

Julie Plec happened.
      Vampire Diaries and The Originals=same ratings at this time.
      People are sick of her and the stupid storries.Oh….and she has an issue with lack of respect to the fans.

17. HBH says:

So happy for parenthood! it was a great episode

18. DavidSask says:

Vampire Diaries is so stale and mistreating to fans that it needs to have this next year be its last. Some shows even on the CW need to be put to rest even if still have ratings or nothing better to replace it with!

19. bigguy3080 says:

Everyone stopped watching TVD for one reason only: Joseph Morgan. The Originals hasn’t gotten into any love triangles. Most people are attracted to the strong and powerful. People dissing The Originals have no clue what they are talking about. It got renewed for a 2nd season and Joseph Morgan wins favorite actof in new tv series. The guy is a superb actor. Julie Plec should listen to the fans a little more, instead of being narrow minded. IMO it would be cool if they put all actors from both shows to make regular appearances on one another. That would open up a lot of new stories.