Arrow Preview: 'Birds of Prey' Delivers Damaged Huntress, Laurel's Comeback and... a Spin-Off?

Arrow Spoilers Sara LaurelThe Huntress returns to Arrow tonight (The CW, 8/7c) on a mission of revenge, and she’s also aiming… to score her own show?

An off-shoot is certainly on the wish list of executive producer Marc Guggenheim. But first, Helena reemerges in Starling City this week and takes Laurel — among others — hostage just as the recovering alcoholic lawyer is finally starting to get her mojo back at work. Enter: The Canary (aka little sis Sara)!

PHOTOS | Arrow ‘Birds of Prey’ First Look: Will Laurel Learn Her Sister Sara’s Super Secret?

Read on as Guggenheim and guest star Jessica De Gouw, aka The Huntress, share six things to know about the action-packed hour.

IT’S A SISTER ACT | Episode 17 “was very much designed to be a Laurel and Sara story using Helena as the fulcrum in that relationship, and Oliver definitely does take a little bit more of a back seat,” previews Guggenheim.

IT’S A COMEBACK STORY | “This is the episode where Laurel gets her groove back,” reveals the EP. “We knew that we wanted to return Laurel to the D.A.’s office and we knew that Laurel, by the end of the episode, had to be in a good emotional place. So we wanted to emotionally and professionally reestablish her.”

IT’S A BLAST FROM THE PAST | “Obviously, when you’re talking about bringing [Laurel] back to the D.A.’s office, you naturally think about, ‘OK, what case is she prosecuting?'” Guggenheim says. “The scenarios that resonate best with us are, ‘What’s a case that could affect a character who we care about?” And that led [executive producer] Andrew [Kreisberg] to pitch the idea, ‘What if Frank Bertinelli is being prosecuted and The Huntress comes back to town?’”

RELATED | Arrow to Introduce Characters From The Flash

Arrow Season 2 SpoilersTHE HUNTRESS IS A DIFFERENT BEAST | “She’s, literally, been off the show for a year,” notes Guggenheim. “What’s Helena been doing during that time? What mental state is she in? What emotional state is she in? We definitely went into this with [the idea], ‘We’ve got to wrap up the whole Helena and her father storyline.’” Adds De Gouw: “There’s an ease to her, as well as having that darkness. I think she’s let go of a lot. She’s let go of all these complications, and she’s got a very focused aim.”

IT WAS A WELCOME CHANGE | “Look, [on NBC's Dracula] I was running about in a corset for a long time, so coming back and fighting people was all I could’ve possibly [wanted],” says the actress with a laugh. “I got to do something entirely different to what I was doing — worlds, worlds apart.”

IT COULD LAUNCH A NEW SHOW… MAYBE | Although Guggenheim admits any decision about a Birds of Prey spin-off is “way above my pay grade,” he does have some ideas on how to keep it alive. “One of the things we would love to do at some point is an episode where you’ve got Black Canary, Felicity and The Huntress working together,” he says. “That’s on our show bucket list. As far as what becomes a series, what doesn’t become a series, one thing I’ve talked to D.C. Comics about is, I’d love to do a Huntress series – I mentioned this to Jessica – where we cover the year that she spent between Episodes 117 and 217, from her perspective, traveling the world and hunting for her father. You never know, all things are possible, as long as we’ve got Jessica’s willing participation.”

1. Sasha says:

YES for a Black Canary/Felicity/Huntress episode….or show for that matter

• dude says:

This just further proves that Felicity is their Oracle. Clearly they have no intention of introducing Barbara Gordon.

• Playhouse says:

They’re probably limited from doing so.

• Mark says:

This is why I have been asking this question for the last six months as we have multiple shows coming and multiple cross overs who own’s the rights to what between fox and cw. As the birds of prey storyline is based in Gotham and so is the Teen Titans( Roy & Thea)… Can we please have this clarified and if cw has the rights then do they still Smallvilles rights, for those characters use in Flash.

• L says:

Teen Titans isnt based in Gotham, it’s been based in many placed but never Gotham.. I assume the CW has the rights to all the DC characters except the Batman ones that are tied up with the Gotham show.

• JC says:

I don’t know about that. There was an interview recently where MG said at the beginning of every season DC gives them a list of characters they’re allowed to use. I don’t think they have just blanket permission to use anyone they like.

• Singlestick says:

There is no reason to introduce Barbara Gordon or to be slavishly faithful to any comic book continuity. The Arrow show runners are creating their own compelling narrative arc. Viewers should embrace it instead of insisting that any particular story from the comic books be inflicted on everyone. Felicity would make a great Oracle.

• ? says:

Barbara Gordon is Batgirl again anyway in the comics, and is most famously known for being Batgirl in popular culture, not Oracle. There probably isn’t much reason not to allow Felicity to be known as Oracle if that’s something the writers asked the suits for. She’s basically already performing the Oracle role for the heroes of their DC television universe anyway.

2. Mr. Sunshine says:

With what they’ve done with the character of Laurel, how many people really care what happens to her? Still looking forward to how the rest of the season transpires on one of my favorite shows!

• azu says:

More laurel? Zzzzzzzzz boring!!! The EPs don’t realize how unlikable she is? Terrible actress, whiny character. Kill her off already please!!!!

• sam says:

crappy character yes ..terrible actress no imo shes the best on that show

• meg says:

I agree. She is a terrible character and I don’t care what happens to her. I actually turned off the television today after all the parts that had Diggle and Felicity because I don’t care about her “getting her groove back.” But Katie Cassidy CAN act. She holds her own in dramatic scenes. I just wish they’d kill or write her off so she can move on to a show where she can shine. I like Katie Cassidy, but I can’t stand Laurel Lance (not a big fan of Sara Lance either…Quentin Lance, on the other hand, rocks).

• Ugonna Wosu says:

I find her interesting now. I think she’s started her journey to becoming the next Black Canary.

3. Fido says:

A series following the redheaded leatherclad Huntress as she takes down terrorists, battles baddies and shoots assassins in the arms with arrows, that could work for me :)

4. enri says:

I love Arrow. I’m just not enjoying the last few episodes as much. Too many characters and too many storylines everywhere. To be honest I’m looking forward to season 3 because it was stated somewhere it was going to be scaled down in comparison to season 2.

• A says:

I totally agree, these last few episodes feel like a different show than before. I can’t wait for the show to “get its groove back”

• CBWBDK1 says:

You must be joking? Episode 15 “the promise” was one of the best episodes of the series! I don’t know what show you’ve been watching, but it wasn’t Arrow.

• A says:

I thought that acting in that episode between Stephen Amell and Manu Bennett was awesome, but the rest of the episode for me was extremely predictable. I really thought that they’d give Slade a stronger motivation to hate Oliver than that Oliver supposedly “chose” Sara over Shado.

• meg says:

I hated “The Promise.” I still can’t figure out why it was so popular. What did I learn from that episode? NOTHING. Obviously Slade was going to find out. I worked on lesson plans while watching. I was THAT bored.

5. Jake says:

I like Laurel…I think her story could be better…but you got to admit that Katie does the best with what the writers give her.

6. Derek117 says:

Arrow’s producers/writers have a very strong track record in finding talented actresses and giving them great characters & story-lines to play with. Caity Lotz and Jessica de Gouw come immediately to mind: both have delivered break-out worthy performances. Putting them in a spin-off “Birds of Prey” series is a natural extension of the Black Canary (Sara) & Huntress (Helena) stories–and, a nice way to “clear the deck” for Oliver & Laurel to become a couple again on The Arrow. Of course, in order to do this, the writers will need to have the courage to depart from the source comics, and let Sara continue to be the Black Canary, and not Laurel. But, given the TV series is a “re-imagining” of the Arrow stories, they should take advantage of it!

• JC says:

If Laurel is not going to be Black Canary (and I fervently hope she is not), there’s no reason for her and Oliver to be together. The only argument ever in favor of that pairing was that she was supposed to end up as Black Canary, and Black Canary and Green Arrow are/were together in the comics. If she’s not going to be Black Canary, I can’t see the slightest reason whatsoever for her and Oliver to be together, or, for that matter, for her to be on the show at all.

• Kristina says:

Totally agree. I don’t mind her being on the show actually, but I see no reason at all for them to push an Oliver/Laurel pairing. I’m just now working back to liking her, and that would ruin it.

• Trene says:

Whoa You are delusional if you think Oliver and Laurel can ever be together again. if they do, it would be the end of the show, like get cancelled.

The Laurel character is awful, Katie is a bad actress and Oliver & Laurel are such a toxic relationship.

• L says:

You could always just re-watch the old “Birds of Prey” series

• Derek117 says:

Update: Caity Lotz just Tweeted a half-hour ago that she’s back in Vancouver. So, she must be in the Season Finale, which is filming this week. I hope this is an indication that Sara doesn’t get killed off.

7. Jake says:

Why does everything need a spin off? TVD and the Originals…The Flash…Really, maybe the CW has just ran out of ideas?

8. troll says:

Zzzzzzzzzzz! Could care less about laurel, Helena and the other one. They need to focus more on Oliver, Diggle and Felicity plus the Suicide Squad. Any story involving laurel and her sister turns me off. so I turn them off.

• Warning: Shipper alert!

• le sigh says:

You can be a team arrow fan and not a shipper. You can like Sara but hate Oliver and Sara and not be an Olicity shipper. Just because you dislike something/someone does not automatically make you a shipper. And assuming so is terrible.

Team Arrow HAS been missing and it’s not just the shippers who are feeling it. I would love to see Sara interacting with Team Arrow. I’m really bummed that they cut the introduction scene between Roy and Sara– and as a shipper I would have happily have given up the “you’ll always be my girl’ scene in favour of getting the introduction scene.

• A says:

I hated the “you’ll always be my girl” scene, it felt really condescending to me.

• meg says:

Ditto. I like Oliver-Felicity, but that line was so terrible. That whole episode made Felicity seem like a child. It patronized her, and she deserves better than that.

• Zathe says:

Team Arrow has been missing? do you hear yourself talking. In what way are you an Team Arrow fan or even an Arrow fan. First of your definition of Team Arrow is different from that of the actual show (you need an update). Team Arrow has 5 members including Roy and Sara and possibly more if you add the other characters who have worked with the Arrow. Since the recent episodes we have seen Roy teaming up with Oliver or Sara, and Sara teaming up with Felicity, Oliver, Diggle and Roy. Diggle and Felicity have also worked together etc, too many Team Arrow dynamics to count. Newsflash, that is Team Arrow maybe you are mistaking it for Team Olicity, and Arrow for the Olicity show.

You need to watch the actual show, because the Roy & Sara introduction scenes were already done. Sara in 2.05 and Roy in 2.14 (again update your system)
          Yes its possible to hate something and not be a shipper. But its very clear many of you haters are shippers, it doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. You can’t see things pretty well outside of your shipping googles, for starters. You always take your hate way too far and the bias is very strong. You are refusing to see the show for what it is and what’s its becoming, its the show’s way or the highway. You can’t expect the series to be what you want it to be.

• le sigh says:

Stephen Amell was the one who made the distinction between Team Arrow and team arrow by the way. Not Me.

• Totally agree. I think the ratings have been suffering in recent weeks because they’ve gotten away from the big three of #TeamArrow Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. The Reason the show was a hit in the first place!

• Linda P says:

Yes, we need Team Arrow: Oliver, Felicity and Diggle. We care about them. As much as they’ve shoved Sara down our throats (I like her fighting skills okay) we’ve gotten sick of the Lance girls. They haven’t made me like Sara or Laurel at all, or be emotionally engaged or care about what happens to them. Not like last year, where you pretty much cared about all the characters.

• A says:

I completely agree. I don’t even care about Oliver at this point. Felicity and Diggle were what made me like Oliver in the first place and they’ve barely had any interaction lately.

9. Name says:

More Lance sisters – that is all I needed to hear to know this is an episode I can skip, particularly since “Lance sisters” means Sara in every scene while Laural has to tell her how special she is. “One of the things we would love to do at some point is an episode where you’ve got Black Canary, Felicity and The Huntress working together,” Sure it is Marc. And you couldn’t do it this time because..? I wonder if even he believes the …stuff… that comes out of his mouth at this point?

• Zathe says:

Ok entitled name person, the episode hasn’t even aired, and they have future plans for those three characters to come together gradually at some time in the future. Its just cant happen now because you want it, they have to sow the roots first and tell the story organically. What part of that don’t you get, they already confirmed Felicity will definitely be part of it (yes its that obvious what this is about) just not now.

So get your ass down and relax, let them work Felicity in the Birds of prey team up, on their own pacing.

10. JC says:

I wouldn’t be interested in a Huntress centered spinoff. For one, I just don’t think Jessica de Gouw is a strong enough actress to anchor a show on her own. A Birds of Prey spinoff, however, I would be interested in, as long as the Black Canary was Sara and not Laurel. And no to Felicity as Oracle – she needs to stay on Arrow, and Oracle needs to be Barbara Gordon. Find a strong lead actress to cast as Oracle, back her up with our Huntress and Black Canary, maybe throw in some Nyssa and some of the other BoP characters, and you have yourself a show. For all that the old BoP show did wrong, they did get it right when they cast Dina Meyer as Oracle/Barbara Gordon.

11. I wonder how contrived the reason will be for getting Laurel un-fired, and un-disbarred?

12. The Rookie says:

The WB already had a Birds of Prey series. Arrow people; Dina Meyer can still be Oracle :D

13. Jared says:

The characters on Arrow are so thought out that any number of them could potentially lead a spinoff(The Huntress,Black Canary,Suicide Squad,Flash etc.)Correct me if im wrong but wasn’t “Birds of Prey” already a series?

14. meah says:

Yessss at my favourite the huntress returning!!oh I have missed her..Her fighting with the canary would be a must see,I can’t wait soooo excited!!!!!
    Am happy laurel would get her groove back I don’t really love her,but I sure as well don’t hate her like most of the delusional olicity shippers
    I wouldn’t mind a huntress spin off,I mean jessica isn’t the best actress,but stephen’s acting scenes are not that good,yet he has a show about him.
    Am ready for the huntress to slay tonight!!

15. A spin off based on THIS version of the Huntress would work really well. What’s the status of Dracula?

16. sarah says:

I am good with the Flash being a series. I am not sure about the Birds of Prey. It could work. However it could become overkill especially when people also want the Suicide Squad to have their own show too!

• Mark says:

Birds of prey / suicide squad /huntress centric stories would be a cool model for web episodes and could be used to tie in the bigger dc verse between flash/arrow

17. Didn’t they do a show called “Birds of Prey” like 10 yrs ago?

18. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t care about anything Laurel and nothing they do is going to change my mind. Well unless they kill her. Sorry, that ship has sailed.

• Isobel says:

Agree I think most Arrow watchers dislike her now, hopefully the Arrow writers have realised this and keep Sarah as Black Canary

19. robinepowell says:

That would be something I’d watch and hope would do better then original series. Maybe at the time, it wasn’t meant to be but with all these D.C./Justice League movies and TV shows, Birds of Prey might word the second time around.

20. DS says:

So Arrow is pretty much reducing the Birds of Prey to “women Oliver Queen boinked”? This is gross.

21. Mikael says:

I would be all for a Birds of Prey series as long as it meant that Sara could remain the Black Canary. This is one deviation from the comics that I actually prefer. Laurel does not need to become BC. Katie Cassidy is trying, but she’s really only good at playing mean girls. They should just have Laurel turn into a giant B if they absolutely have to have her on the show. I don’t think there’s any more room on the CW for another DC property if The Flash is successful, though. If they do, I think a show revolving around Sara, Helena and Nyssa would be great, since Felicity is probably not going to leave Arrow.

• Linda P says:

KC is good at snarky comments and crying, but I cringe when she supposedly “kicks ass”. She seems really sweet though. Is that acting or the real her?

• Isobel says:

She probably is a nice person, and on Supernatural and Gossip Girl playing nasty characters she was good, but her character in Arrow is just really boring

22. Veronica says:

I couldn’t care less about Laurel. I sincerely hope that she’s not destined to be the Black Canary because I will never buy it. Let her character move away and be done with it. She feels shoehorned into every episode she’s in. Ugh.

Birds of Prey sounds very cool and I would be up for that in a heartbeat.

I also have to chime in on the Bring Back Team Arrow chorus! *OliverDiggleFelicity

23. Meg says:

I would be very sad if Sara dies. I like her as BC. Caity’s martial arts skills will be hard to replace, big shoes to fill for KC, that is, if the writers decide to kill Sara off.

• Sara is just TOO GOOD as Canary which is a big problem if they intend to make Laurel into Black Canary.

• John NYC says:

I guess one scenario is kill her off in this show’s timeline and move her to pair with The Huntress in the sort of prequel mentioned for the spinoff.

A bit bittersweet then knowing her “fate” but then to an extent with so much coming from the comic book world a lot of the characters have a known fate…

24. mary says:

I don’t care what they’ll do just please don’t kill off Sara and make Laurel BC. It just won’t work.

• I agree. I think Katie is a nice person, VERY attractive and is maybe even a better actress than Caity but the problem is Caity, like David Ramsey is a skilled martial artist in real life. That’s an incredible hurdle for Katie. That Combined with the fact that the audience likes – LOVES Caity as the Canary and has seen her in the role far more than we saw Yao Fei and Billy Wintergreen in their ‘precursor’ roles. But I really think the writing has been the biggest problem for Laurel. The Black Canary is one of the best fighters in the DC Universe and is supposedly a better strategist than even Batman. The Way they’ve written her, where is she supposed to learn all this? They had an opportunity with the drinking storyline. Have Her do a ‘Leaving Las Vegas/Starling City’ episode and actually have Katie LEAVE the city for the second half of the season and go off and study under Lady Shiva. That would be cool I think.

• Yeah. For me, Caity is the perfect Black Canary. No one else. Her fighting skills are awesome!! I really hope that Sara stays as Black Canary, and they will do another thing with Laurel. Sara Lance is the only Black Canary for me.

25. A says:

I think any version of BC should only occasionally be in the show. Right now there is just way too much Sara/Laurel, and all the other characters are getting sidelined. One full-time vigilante is more than enough for me.

• Zathe says:

By other characters being sidelined you mean Felicity right. Who isnt even sidelined to begin with as she has so much screentime than many of the other characters combined.

But the entitled and spoiled Felicity fans get so angry and upset when Arrow isnt the Felicity & Olicity show. You don’t care if Diggle just recently had his own centric episode, or when Roy did and when Thea is going to get a centric episode. Team Arrow isnt even gone, you do know Roy & Sara are also part of that so called Team right not just Felicity and Oliver. And every supporting character deserves focus too.

You are not fooling anyone, stop using other characters you dont even care about to hate on the Lance sisters.

• Linda P says:

Zathe: “A” didn’t say Felicity – you are making a lot of false assumptions here. “Other characters being sidelined – I agree with that, because all the characters we loved last season are being sidelined to make way for the Lance sisters. It’s been all about them the last half of this season. It’s up to the writers to make us care about them, and they haven’t done a good job with the Lances except for Quentin.

26. Penny says:

Arrow’s been confusing me so much. Episodes from 2×13 had felt really scattered. Sadly this one seems the same. BUT since The Huntress is making an appearance it could be interesting. Birds of Prey huh? Guess I gotta wait and see. I don’t want them to go down the same road they did with Sara once she stuck around I liked her LESS and LESS.

I desperately miss Team Arrow. And feel I’m back in early s1 when things were off. 2A of Arrow was fantastic. 2B of Arrow has been lack luster.

I’m hoping it gets better!

Laurel’s “journey” has only made her harder to like. But I’m glad to see her holding the stick. She could have been good BC if the writers had made her character remotely likeable.

27. Linda P says:

Laurel makes a comeback? Most of us don’t want her to come back at all. These last few episodes have been boring. Too many DC characters introduced too quickly, at the expense of a more character driven show. What’s up with the EP and writers that they’re trying to ruin a good show?

• Linda P says:

Is there some site that I’m missing where there are a bunch of Laurel fans, and that’s what the EPs are reading with blinders on? Because every site I go to 99% of the fans do NOT want Laurel around.

• The EP’s on any show only listen, if even then, when you don’t watch. I don’t dislike Katie at all but they’ve so mishandled Laurel that unless they do something dramatic, dramatic meaning contrived, quickly it could end up being one of the causes of the downfall of the show.

28. tara says:

I’m sick of these spin-off shows! Leave arrow be and keep The huntress on it- I love her character and the interaction with Oliver. However if they do decide on a spin-off show leave Sara and take laurel- I really hope they get rid of katie cassidy- she just brings nothing to the show and laurel and Oliver have the worst chemistry out of all the girls. Turn her into Deathstroke’s side kick or kill her character off. Let the triangle be between sara oliver and the huntress.

29. CastroK says:

NO more spin off please, stop the milking and start thinking of new ideas.
    Why does TVline even have to ask this non question anyway, why do you want to fuel the flames for no reason.

Arrow already has a spin off its called The Flash,Birds of Prey isnt going to happen because it already did, the BOP characters in Arrow are awful and there is already Gotham. Guggeintroll need to start telling the truth for once and stop fuelling impossible rumours.

30. Michelle says:

Laurel’s such a special snowflake she has magic addiction beating powers! GAG.

31. wrstlgirl says:

I gotta agree with those here with regards to all the spin offs. Enough is enough. It is getting tiresome.

32. James says:

YES! YES! YES! I would throw The Huntress and someone like Roy in a spinoff in a second! Oh and they maybe could find someone from The Flash!! YES YES YES!!!!

33. Arrow is so much better this season! Really one of my favorites shows in TV right now! I love Sara Lance, Caity is the perfect Black Canary!!

“One of the things we would love to do at some point is an episode where you’ve got Black Canary, Felicity and The Huntress working together,” >> OMG, that would be amazing!!

34. ana says:

I just cant… Kill Laurel or make her evil!!! god

35. Chris says:

I think caity lotz will be promoted to serise regular

36. Ugonna Wosu says:

someone below said Caty Lotz has delivered a “breakout worthy” performance, lol. She only excels in fighting scenes. Sucks otherwise. Sara is shoved down our throats and we see Felicity for only a minute per episode it seems now. Can’t wait till she’s killed off and Laurel takes over as BC. I don’t like Laurel either, but she’s the one who’s ultimately supposed to be BC, she’s supposedly Ollie’s true love, and frankly she’s not as awful as person as Sara is whom they’re trying to tell us is just great. I don’t remember her apologizing for sleeping with Oliver(and yes its worse than some teen prank Laurel pulled to keep Sara away from Ollie , Sara and Oliver didn’t get together that time and we don’t even know if he noticed Sara that way at the time). Laurel is annoying, but she was there first and I can only handle one annoying Lance at a time. Both of their presences make Ollie look like he’s still such a big a-hole, but one of them gone would help a little bit.

• Lucius says:

I have to say that I like Caity as Sara, she’s supposedly skilled in martial arts in real life, and it shows, and let’s be real, she’s just hot looking but I do agree with you that they have promoted Sara to the extent that it’s almost a different show. And That’s not a good thing because I don’t think The Canary-centric episodes do as well in the ratings. I actually think Diggle-centered episodes, if that’s even that right words for them, which are unfortunately fewer and increasingly farther between, do better in the ratings. Felicity at least has techno-jargon to speak every week, Diggle often says a grand total of 10 words, if that in any given episode.The Huntress episode that just aired saw a ratings increase, because like Jessica/Helena or not, I think she’s a more compelling, more interesting character than The Canary. And That’s What it’s all about. Pushing An Actor/Actress/Character that the showrunners like that the audience DOESN’T like as much and who doesn’t bring in solid ratings is foolish in regards to the longevity and sustained quality of the show.

• Zach says:

I agree, and I hope Laurel does become BC even though she gets whiny as well. Besides JR Ramirez is going to play Wildcat in the show who in the cartoon trains BC to fight better, so screw all these Laurel haters and follow the comics. I’m sure they’re aware Laurel is a whiny b and I have good hopes for her in season 3

37. Derek117 says:

Wow! Lots of very emotional recent comments, that break into three basic camps: the hate or love Laurel/Katie group (mostly hate); the group that want the TV series to be faithful to the comic book storylines/character relationships; and the final group that’s tired of spin-offs.

Regarding Laurel/Katie, in my other comments I’ve been very clear that IMO Laurel is a major liability to the show–though I understand the writers didn’t intend for her to become “Arrow’s” version of the Dana character from the “Homeland” series. I also recognize that Katie Cassidy should be commended for her willingness to portray such an unlikable character as Laurel was written to be for much of the second season. Unlike the “Homeland” writers, who never tried to rehabilitate Dana with the viewers, the “Arrow” writers are making a last ditch effort (and MAJOR gamble) that they can write a “Laurel rehabilitation arc” that will sit well with the audience. I believe they will fail…Laurel has way too many negative scenes in her history for viewers to now accept her.

Next is the “How faithful should the TV show remain to the comics” question. I believe Christopher Nolan’s trio of “Batman” movies sets the modern standard. His approach was to keep the familiar characters–but take liberties when it serves the purposes of the dramatic narrative. Or, if departing from the source material allows for better use of the actors involved. Thus, we have Tim Burton’s “Batman” and “Batman Returns” that was vastly different from Nolan’s three movies. And both Burton and Nolan’s versions were different than the comics. Bottom line: Laurel doesn’t HAVE to become the Black Canary, nor is the make-up of the “Birds of Prey” set in cement. Both are free to be determined by the writers–with the talent available in mind. Which leads back to the Katie/Caity choice. IMO, since we’re talking about “action” shows, the actors have to be good at the physical aspects of the role. Which gives Caity a clear advantage. Even with stunt performers, Caity’s dance and natural athleticism fit the Canary in ways that would be false if Katie were to play the role.

Lastly, to those who are complaining about too many spin-off, I have to remind you: TV is a business–and any business, when launching a new product, love to have a “built-in” market. Thus, the use of comic books as source materials–and the prevalence of spin-offs in TV. Can you say “Law & Order” or “NCIS” or “Buffy” & “Angel”? Trust me, the Writers Rooms of TV series are not filled with the modern day equivalents of the writers of “Citizen Kane” “Lawrence of Arabia” or “Schindler’s List”. Creating new, original ideas is near impossible given the large number of broadcast hours networks must fill. Bottom line: There will be Spin-offs, get over it.