Emmys

Emmy Switcheroo Scoop: Shameless to Compete in Comedy (Not Drama) Categories in 2014

Episode 404The 2014 Emmy race is about to become a laughing matter for Showtime’s Shameless.

RELATED | Showtime Moves Masters of Sex Season 2 to Summer, Pairs It With Ray Donovan

The show’s producers have received approval from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences to move the acclaimed dramedy, which wraps its buzzy fourth season in early April, to the comedy categories for the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards. Shameless competed in the drama races from 2011-2013, garnering three consecutive nominations for Joan Cusack as Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Almost Human, Beast, Community and 23 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

“[Shameless] is a category-bending show, with dark humor and dramatic tones, and the producers felt that a submission in the comedy category fit the feel and tone of the show best,” Showtime noted, in a release. The network pointed out that because Shameless is an adaptation of a long-running British drama series, it had initially submitted its version in the corresponding categories.

The switch for 2014 might prove particularly fruitful for Shamless‘ leading lady Emmy Rossum, given that 2013 Lead Actress in a Comedy Series nominees Tina Fey (30 Rock) and Laura Dern (Enlightened) are no longer eligible in 2014.

Stoked about Shameless‘ move to the comedy wars? In which races does the show have the best shot? And which perennial nominees ought to be worried about having their lunches eaten? Sound off below!

1. Wouter says:

Really stupid decision IMO. This is the best season of Shameless so far and it’s mostly due to Emmy Rossum’s amazing dramatic performance.

2. Bob Smith says:

Other years maybe but this year is way more intense and dramatic. Any chance they would add a dramedy category ?

3. ... says:

While I admire Showtime for trying to get this show the recognition it deserves, Shameless is at its best when it goes dramatic and Emmy voters have shown that they prefer bigger, broader comedic performances in the acting categories. As great as Rossum and Jeremy Allen White have been this season, and as deserving as they are of both nominations and wins, I don’t think this is the best move.

4. Bobklause says:

Seems like a silly decision considering how dramatic this season has been. I thought Emmy would definitely get nominated…now…not so much.

• Wouter says:

Yeah i thought the same. And it makes me mad just thinking about it. I really thought Emmy had a chance this year… And she really deserves it! This show doesn’t even get half the recognition it deserves.

5. mary says:

This season was so depressing and filled with drama. Wrong move, Showtime.

6. Dick Whitman says:

While I agree with what everyone else, this may not be the worst idea, considering the dude from Glee got nominated in the comedy category but the episode he was nominated for was more drama than comedy.

7. Ryan P says:

It’s definitely more drama this season, but it has its laugh-out-loud moments. It never get the credit it deserves in the drama section, so honestly, whatever could earn the show a nomination for an award is fine by me!

8. anawesomeweirdo says:

They have nothing to lose really. That one nomination/year for Joan Cusack isn’t enough for this show, and the fact that she doesn’t have any dramatic scenes means that she’ll probably never win one.
    Also, a lot of shows have been nominated in the comedy categories even though they weren’t what you’d call ”funny” (Enlighted, Nurse Jackie…)
    Last Sunday’s episode did make me laugh, it’s been a while since this season has been leaning on the drama side more, but that will only serve as an advantage for the cast against the competition.

9. Lea says:

Wow, this is a really weird decision to make this season, which is bleaker than ever – at times almost to harrowing to watch: Fiona’s downfall, Lip’s struggle to balance his family and his studies, Ian’s off behavior and his quite likely doomed relationship with Mickey, who has his own troubles… Add to that Mandy’s domestic abuse, very little Sheila, Frank dying – not even the potentially hilarious “Kevin gets a gun” storyline ended with him nearly shooting V.

I suppose they don’t stand a chance in drama anyways, but with that material, I can’t see how they could possibly prevail in comedy.

10. Andrew Hass says:

I’m fine with Shameless moving from the drama category to the comedy one.Plus maybe the show thinks their actors have a better chance of winning an Emmy this way.

11. CBWBDK1 says:

Great decision! This season has been hilarious??

12. DavidSask says:

Great for Emmy for future seasons but this year has been over the top dramatic and ZERO and I mean ZERO comedy!!!

13. webly3 says:

Wait this is supposed to be a drama? I love the show, but I can’t remember once where I thought it was funny… yeah, not even one time.

14. Ron says:

Hmm, interesting decision, and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it, especially given some of Rossum’s performances this season. OITNB also competing in comedy is also a line-straddler. I’m a huge advocate for a “dramedy” category where shows like Shameless and OITNB can compete. There are very clearly shows that are dramas — House of Cards, The Good Wife, Breaking Bad, and there are very clearly shows that are comedies — Modern Family, Parks & Rec, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (btw, where the hell is the Emmy love for this show?). But some shows, like Shameless and OITNB, don’t fit neatly into the realms of strictly comedy or strictly drama, and I think a it’s becoming more and more difficult to classify some shows which is why I think it’s almost becoming imperative there be a dramedy category. If Rossum is nominated in the comedy category, it could either help or hurt her because of great ambiguity. Her performances were so dramatic, that if she could be a stand out in a comedy category and thus win, which isn’t really fair to the true comedy actress, or it could really hurt her because it isn’t necessarily a comedy performance. Rossum and the category ambiguity is perhaps one of the strongest arguments why there needs to be a new dramedy category.

15. David4 says:

They really should just get rid of comedy and drama categories and just do a 30 minute and 60 minute ones instead.

But I don’t care about the idiot award crap anyways, so why listen to me. lol

16. greysfan says:

Shameless is a comedy now? I must say there has been so much drama this season, this decision makes no sense whatsoever. I mean sure i can see the darker comedic traits in the show but for me its more a dramatic show not comedic. Weird decision.

17. Drewer says:

It’s about time, I was shocked a couple years ago when I saw a drama actresses round table and she was included-I had always assumed this was competing in comedy until then. WHM would likely have had much better success as would the others in comedy (Joan Cusak I think got guest noms anyway-she’s so funny in this). Maybe it’s just being aware of it’s British parent’s dramatic, but ultimately incredibly light tone, but this has always felt like a comedy with dramatic things happening to the characters rather than the other way around. I’m glad they are finaly going for it, even if it is the most dramatic season yet-although everything that has come out of Kevin or Micky’s mouth this season has been comedy gold. Thinking back to first season stuff with the way they crafted episodes like the one where Debs steels the baby or last season where Jimmy burns his cloths after a traumatic day, it’s the actors priceless reactions to the ridicules dramatic things that happen,and the sheer shock factor of some of the lengths characters will go to that make it more comedy than drama in my mind.

18. Kelley says:

Well, hopefully this gives Noel Fisher (Mickey) a shot at an Outstanding Guest Actor nomination. He’s really one of the strongest MVPs of the season… and obviously I hope for the best with Emmy, as she really does deserve more recognition for her consistently strong performance.