The Fosters' David Lambert on Whether It's Over for Brandon/Callie, 'Odd' Connection With Dani

The Fosters Season 1 SpoilersGrand gestures and emotional confessions will only get The Fosters‘ troubled lovebirds Brandon and Callie so far in Monday’s spring finale (ABC Family, 9/8c).

With Adoption Day upon them, Callie’s “hands are tied” when it comes to her feelings for her soon-to-be foster brother, star David Lambert reveals below.

Plus, now that her ex Wyatt is back in town, he’s filling the void left by Brandon, who’s forced to face the consequences of his recent bad-boy behavior. Perhaps pseudo-mom Dani will help him get over his troubles?

RELATED | Nickelodeon’s Ashley Argota Joins The Fosters as a Love Interest for [Spoiler]

TVLINE | How much of Brandon’s speech about Callie not feeling the same about him as he does about her was real?
That was an interesting scene. I think, personally, a lot of that was bluff. That was Brandon solidifying and making it a believable reason behind why he would frame Callie…

Brandon has always had a connection with Callie and has very intense feelings for her and cares about her greatly. They’re very close, obviously. But there’s always this underlying thing of Brandon really almost loves her from afar, in a weird way. Callie always has so much on her plate that he tends to be that person for her. But things have gotten so nutty now, it can’t be that even though he wants that so much. It definitely could have some truth in [it], for sure.

TVLINE | Going into the finale, does this big gesture that Brandon made sway Callie in any way?
I feel like her hands are tied. There’s not much to do in this situation. They’re looking to get adopted by Stef and Lena and become part of the family. Brandon, as much as he would want to leave [his moms' house] and give that up to be with Callie, it just can’t happen. It’s just one of those things where it’s a fantasy at this point — or at least that’s where it’s looking like it’s going. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. In Callie’s mind, she’s just so set to be adopted, to have a family, to have a place where she belongs, to stop worrying. She’s tired at this point. The Brandon thing is an unfortunate occurrence, but I don’t think she feels like there’s much she can do there.

RELATED | ABC Family Sets Summer Premieres For Pretty Little Liars, 90210 Gals’ Mystery Girls and More

TVLINE | This season, we’ve seen Brandon dealing with things in a unhealthy way. With the adoption approaching very quickly, how is he coping?
He is feeling the effects of all these poor choices he’s making with the fake ID stuff, and now the truth comes out about him giving money to Ana. It’s a brutal time for Brandon everywhere you turn. It didn’t go well with Callie. It’s not going to go well with his parents. He’s having to face the facts, and it won’t be a nice time for Brandon. In the finale, we’re going to see an extension of that. We’re going to see a little bit more of Vico and Brandon. Overall, it’s all the things that Brandon’s been doing throughout the season all culminating and the way it affects him. It’s a very interesting growth period for him. Going into Season 2, he’s going to mull a few things and probably shift gears a little bit.

TVLINE | They’ve added a little bit more of an edge to Brandon this season. Have you enjoyed dirtying him up, so to speak?
Definitely. I was excited to do that with Brandon from the second I started playing [him]. I assumed this kid is very wholesome and very happy, so it’s only a matter of time until it completely goes away for him and something’s going to happen. I wasn’t sure to what extent or how that would present itself. But yeah, I’ve really enjoyed making mistakes as Brandon and fielding all those internal conflicts. It’s been very fun.

TVLINE | Callie also made a big confession that she didn’t sleep with Wyatt. How does Brandon take that? And where does Wyatt fit in?
Wyatt definitely is in the picture. And Wyatt is a good guy, too. He is good for Callie in his own way. They are really genuinely friends, I believe. That’s only more to add on to what I was saying earlier about Brandon feeling like there’s a wall between them. There just kind of has to be. Wyatt is a way for Callie to get distracted almost and not have to worry about Brandon. What does Brandon do? He’s going through so much right now anyway with his own mess-ups that, as of right now, I feel like he doesn’t even want to deal with the whole Callie thing. That messes up him and causes him a lot of anxiety. But Wyatt is definitely a good rock for Callie and should be around to help her and be a good friend almost in the way that Brandon used to be.

RELATED | Trophy Kid Bailee Madison Joins The Fosters

TVLINE | I’m getting a very borderline inappropriate vibe from Brandon and Dani. Am I reading too much into that? Is there something going on there?
No, I don’t think you’re reading too much into it. It’s a very odd relationship between them. I, personally, think Brandon feels indebted to her a little bit because she’s gotten him out of tight spots and has been this odd ear for him, in a way. She’s this female figure, but she’s not one of his moms and she’s not Callie. So who is this other kind of person that he can talk to? He feels that and he knows it’s something new. That’s a little intriguing to him. It maybe makes it easier for him to open up to her. … Her connection with Brandon is somewhere in between maternal, but then she almost enjoys the attention that she gets from him. It’s a very interesting relationship, and those scenes are always very interesting to film with Marla [Sokoloff], who plays Dani. I really enjoy them. It’s going to get interesting. There’ll be more of that in the finale, as well.

TVLINE | The last finale really packed a punch. How would you describe this cliffhanger?
It’s definitely going to affect people, and it’s going to be maybe the best one yet. I don’t know. I might be speaking too soon. It’s going to be good though. It’s going to be shocking. There’s always going to be a good amount of drama

1. Andrew Hass says:

I can’t wait to watch the season finale tonight because i have a feeling it’s going to be great in a lot of ways and probably a good cliffhanger to keep fans interested.As for Brandon and Callie they may always have that what if factor because they both know under different circumstances they’d be together.

2. pamill says:

LOVED the first 10 episodes but left the show a few weeks into the second half of the season, the Brandon/Callie drama bored and annoyed me at the same time. So my question is should I give it a second chance, is it good again, or is that astonishingly annoying storyline still happening ?

• dude says:

I still love this season just as much as I loved the first 10 episodes so maybe I’m not the one to ask but I’d say yes. Callie/Brandon aren’t as much a focus but it’s still there.

• Beth says:

After Callie moved back in she has been distancing herself from Brandon. I think it has been more internal struggles with each family member. Plus they sort of came to an agreement that she needed a family and not a boyfriend. It was only after Mikes gf put ideas in his head did he start trying to get Callie back. Give it another go.

• Allison says:

TV Line announced last week that they already casts someone to play Brandon’s new love interest next season so I think we may finally be done with this annoying Brandon/Callie story. Unfortunately, you do have to suffer through it a little bit longer until the end of this season but it has been easier for me to take knowing that they will be moving on next year.

• Andrew Hass says:

I think next season the show will be moving Brandon and Callie in different directions storywise.Brandon supposedly is going to get into a band and as you pointed out meet someone new.As for Callie the show is going to be bringing on another girl from her past.So Callie’s story next season at least at the beginning may not be about romance.The show may always tease the fans about Brandon and Callie but maybe not as much.However on tonight’s episode Brandon and Callie might have some sort of closure and decide to move on.

• nate says:

there was no reason to stop in the first place

3. Diz says:

Can Brandon go to college or something and just go away forever.

• Josh Emerson says:

Agreed! Brandon is just awful. I can’t understand why anyone would ship “Brallie.” I hope the show stops focusing on that in season two. The rest of the show is actually pretty good.

• Beth says:

I like Brandon, I think the hate comes from his interest in Callie. If you look at him with Callie taken out, he is very likable and a good character. They just need to end the Callie and Brandon dynamic. It is realistic to show this side of foster care when it comes to teenagers, does it add more drama than needed? Of course but it is an ABC family show! Lighten up on Brandon, I have a feeling he will be better next season

• Ari says:

He’s kind of a jerk. Easily my least favorite character. They need to do some major character rehab next season!

4. Calamity says:

Brandon is the most annoying character. He has three emotions. Anger, depression, and anger. Everytime he’s on the screen I want him to disappear. And that whole Caillie “romance” icks me out big time. I actually like Wyatt’s character.

I like all the other characters on the show. I’m worried they’re going to break up Stef and Lena other this baby arc, and the solid relationship is one of the things I like most.

I hate Marla Sokoloff’s character, but she plays it so well that I can’t write her off like I have Brandon. Her characters awful, but I’m still curious to see what she pulls next.

5. April says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is creeped out by Brandon and Dani. I pretty sure that she is trying to manipulate him so she can use him to get in good with Mike but sometimes the vibe I pick up in their scenes together is just wrong.

• nate says:

i feel it too. i feel like she’s gonna rape him or something

• JKR says:

Same here. But it’s mostly because I can’t believe that Stephanie Tanner’s BFF is old enough to be dating a guy as old as Mike (with a son in high school… ). :)

6. Alex C says:

He is a teenager that just lost his way a little bit. Anyone that doesn’t understand that is an idiot. Curious to see what Season 2 brings

7. Babygate says:

Brandon is the most unlikeable character in this show, IMO. There’s something utterly annoying about him. But the worst thing is this horrible storyline between Brandon and Callie. She came into the house as a foster child which implies a sibling relationship between all the kids. I was extremely disappointed the writers went in that direction and I’m really hoping they will put it to rest once and for all because it is beyond creepy. It just felt like a very incestuous relationship from the get go.

8. Jasmine says:

I think brandon and callie should be together because it will stop brandon from getting in so much trouble because when he was with callie he was never in that much trouble so I think brandon and callie should be together forever till the fosters is completely over

9. Jasmine says:

Brandon I love you if your reading this and please stay with callie get back together don’t let wiet be with her that’s yours get her back

10. Gianna says:

I like Brandon , to me that would be a hard person to play in the show , and him and Callie are cute together and I think they can make it work with out people knowing

11. Jessica says:

Brandon and Callie should be together. Cuz he was their for her when she went threw to hardest time at that foster home. Wyatt did nothing that would help her. Brandon cares so much about her that he would have risked Juvie. He needs her and she needs him.Girls united showed that he cared and Wyatt was not their. Brandon skipped his his performance for her so pleas put them together