Reign's Anna Popplewell on Lola's Pregnancy, Time Jumps and 'Exciting' Bash News

Reign Lola PregnancyCan Reign‘s Lola ever catch a break? Her time at French Court has been a nightmare since day one, and now that she’s pregnant with Francis’ child, things are only going to get worse for everyone. (Well, almost everyone.)

RELATED | Exclusive Reign First Look: Francis’ Former Flame Returns — and She’s Got a Knife!

TVLine spoke with Lola herself, Anna Popplewell, about her character’s complicated pregnancy, the impending “Darkness” at Court and how the baby could play a major role in the ongoing Mary-Francis-Bash love triangle.

TVLINE | It’s crazy how Lola suddenly went from just one of Mary’s ladies in waiting to this major problem for her marriage. What’ll happen there?
In the next few episodes, you’ll see Lola and Mary trying to avoid having Francis find out about the pregnancy, because the implications of that would either be her giving the child to Francis or possibly remaining at Court for the rest of her life.

TVLINE | Mary appeared to forgive Lola, but has she really?
I don’t think it’s something that Mary’s ever going to forget. It wasn’t a brilliant decision on Lola’s part, or Francis’s — it does take two to tango. But I understand where it came from. There was originally a speech in that episode where Lola talks to Francis about Colin, who was killed, and also the death of Aylee. These characters were really connecting out of sadness. Anyway, I don’t think Mary will forgive her, but I think she’ll come to understand how sorry Lola is about it and how little she wants to threaten their marriage.

RELATED | Reign React: Did Mary Wed the Right Brother?

TVLINE | Is this a secret that could drive a wedge between Mary and Francis?
Well, as long as Mary is keeping this secret, she’s going to be lying to her husband and Lola is going to be the cause of that. It’s not just Lola’s future at stake, but also Mary’s future with Francis. So, drama on all sides, really.

TVLINE | I’m sure Bash would love to get his hands on this information. Will he?
At the moment, Bash is less involved in that side of things, but as you said, any weakness between Mary and Francis is key for Bash because he’s still so in love with Mary. And it’s impossible for those feelings to ever be forgotten. But there’s something exciting that happens for Bash during the remaining episodes that will alter the balance of that situation.

TVLINE | Time is progressing so quickly. Could Lola have this baby by the end of Season 1?
It could be. There are definitely more time jumps between now and the end of the season, and we’ll be moving the plot along very rapidly.

TVLINE | And what’s this “Darkness” we keep hearing about? It’s spooky.
“The Darkness” is a threat to everyone in the castle, really. In addition to all the scheming in French Court, there’s also this overwhelming threat from outside. You’ll see that come to the front in the last few episodes of the season.

TVLINE | Lastly, any major deaths we should be bracing ourselves for?
It’s always a possibility, and there’s plenty of death at the castle. Life expectancy was not the same then as it is now, so people are really dropping like flies.

Do you think Lola’s pregnancy could break up Mary and Francis? And what’s “exciting” twist could be in store for Bash? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

_

1. Maki says:

I like all of Mary’s ladies in waiting and this plot point pregnancy is a really smart move. And don’t forget Lola had early on a connection with Bash aswell. What a crazy season so far!

2. M. says:

This pregnancy plot is dumb. I’m not sure what Mary expects Lola to do. She stopped her from getting rid of it. So unless she marries someone super quickly then Lola’s got no options.

• Alichat says:

I’m not a fan of it because it’s just so cliched. She was obviously intimate with Colin, and nothing came of that. But that one time she’s with Francis, and boom. I just feel like there are more political avenues they could follow to create drama than this. Enough with the love triangle…..or I guess now it’s a quadrilateral…….

3. AddyMoss says:

LOVE THIS SHOW. No matter who gets pregnant and gets between soul mates I will watch it and love it!

4. Belle says:

The pregnancy was obvious at first kiss…back then royals were always pawns in bigger things so it was no surprise that one Lola hooked up with Francis and two she wound up preggers on top of it. I think that season 1 has moved way too fast, where can they possibly go from here that would give this show a chance at 3 or more seasons???? Just bummed really, I love the show just so disappointed at it’s pace of storylines. I mean we didn’t even get to see the fun story of Aylee and Mary concocting fake letters to Mary’s mother – that could have proved to be a twisted prank to play on Catherine :) Ah the wasted talent…and where is Greer’s cute baker-boy??!!!

• Coop says:

So true, I wish they could go back and unkill Aylee – and have really offed Clarissa, talk about a boring/stupid plot – and had that whole thing about Aylee pretending to be Catherine’s spy :) Ahhh, nothing better than slowly twisting the knife in Catherine’s back! And yes please on the Baker Boy, where is that flour covered man???

• Alichat says:

Yes!….I agree with you on the pacing. Entirely too fast. They’ve burned through time and story so quickly, they barely built these relationships, and we’re supposed to care. Would it have killed them to have more than one or two episodes of her and Francis in love and happy?…..Aylee and the fake letters?…..wait until the finale to reveal anything about Clarissa?…..

• Isobel says:

apparently baker boy turns up again soon, but I don’t think this show is lasting more than 2 seasons, I’d say they end next season with Francis’ death at that’s it.

5. IMHO says:

Love the show and very happy the CW renewed it !

6. Lizzie says:

Disappointed with where I think the Bash storyline will go. I think he’s going to end up with Kenna. If that happens, I doubt I’ll continue watching. I don’t like Mary at the moment, it’s like she’s constantly kissing Francis’s ass and this last episode (1×15) was very boring. I just feel like the whole baby storyline, especially Mary obsessing about becoming pregnant is a yawn. I know it was like that back then and it was important to produce an heir, but it just doesn’t work well for me. I miss the way Mary used to be. And I still don’t like Francis.

7. tp says:

The storylines were moving so quickly because the season was supposed to end at episode 13 so I get but hopefully it’ll slow down in season 2. I’m a Francis and Mary fan but if the king makes Bash marry Kenna Imma be pissed! There’s no way that Bash deserves to have his father’s sloppy seconds. I mean what would happen, Bash marries Kenna so the king can continue to see her on the side? That would be too evil even for Henry. I also wonder why hasn’t the king given Bash a title yet? That is the least he could do for Bash. Especially after this whole marriage debacle.

• Isobel says:

I think they’ll kill off Henry soon, and have Francis become king, because the time skips would work in favour for that, maybe at the end of the season

• Isobel says:

and a title for Bash would make sense as royal bastards did have titles, maybe he does have one already and its not used? I don’t know….

• Sara says:

Too evil even for Henry? Are you serious! He’s killed two girls already, and seems to like it, and he intends to continue. That’s not evil enough for you?!

8. Danielle H. says:

Please take this off main page… spoiled the Episode for me.

9. reign fan says:

I think Lola should marry Bash. Even if DNA testing was possible back then it would be hard pressed to disprove Bash as the Father since he is blood kin to Frances.

10. Sarah says:

I’d end the season with Francis’ death and move the next seasons to Scottland to focus on Mary using her third husband to kill off her second husband.

11. G Iyer says:

I want Francis to live to take care of the child!

12. Celine says:

I think they moved quickly, but if the secrets came out next season and made people wonder where they came from, it would be more exciting. For example, if the fake letters caused a big problem in the future, because of what catherine has done with them. Or about diane giving the poison to aylee, it was shown diane throwing the poison if ım not mistaken … So it could be exciting. I hope they change history in the end, because the history is very upsetting.