Ratings: The 100 Does Great Numbers, Arrow Rises, Revolution Dips, Mixology Drops

Ratings The 100 PremiereSave for pesky residual radiation, The 100‘s future looks bright.

The CW’s dystopian drama — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B” — on Wednesday night premiered to 2.7 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, more than doubling time slot predecessor The Tomorrow People‘s most recent Wednesday numbers (1.24 mil/0.4). TTP debuted last fall to 2.32 mil and a 0.9.

In fact, those tallies mark The CW’s best performance in that time period since September 2010, and it’s also the network’s most watched midseason premiere since Life Unexpected in 2010.

What’s more, The 100 even built on its Arrow lead-in, which with 2.3 mil and a 0.8 ticked up in both measures.

RELATED | NBC Renews Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Grimm; Parks and Rec Officially Gets Season 7

Over on NBC, bubble dramas Revolution (4.3 mil/1.2, a new series low) and Law & Order: SVU (5.6 mil/1.5) each shed some eyeballs and dipped a tenth in the demo, while the newly renewed Chicago P.D. (5.7 mil/1.4) slipped two tenths to a new series low.

CBS’ Survivor (9.6 mil/2.4) and Criminal Minds (10.1 mil/2.2) each dipped a tenth (with the latter tying a series low), while CSI (10.1 mil/2.0) was steady.

RELATED | American Idol Top 10 Performance Recap: To Thine Own Selfie Be True

Elsewhere, American Idol (9.7 mil/2.2) dipped 6 percent and two tenths week-to-week, while ABC’s lone original entry, Mixology (3.6 mil/1.2), fell 16 and 20 percent leading out of a Modern Family rerun.

1. Eric7740 says:

Arrow was okay last night, I personally don’t enjoy when the focus isn’t on Arrow, I found myself being easily distracted during last nights episode unless Arrow/Oliver was on the screen.

2. Adam says:

Great numbers for The 100. I enjoyed the pilot and look forward to more.

• Temperance says:

The 100 was such a mixed bag. They had a great adult cast, and some interesting setup… in orbit. Not where the teens are. And that part? Eeech. let’s just make it The 10 right now, and then we *might* be able to make a season out of it. The wholesale Lord of the Flies element is… not a bit realistic, and worse, makes dumb, unwatchable TV. 90 more javelins, and we’ll have just enough characters to bother with.

3. Katherine215 says:

Revolution. :(

4. wrstlgirl says:

Dang Revolution, I hate to see those numbers. I haven’t watched 100 yet but I’ve heard good and bad things about it. I read several reviews that said not to judge the show by the pilot because it gets better and better each episode. If that’s true I hope people who didn’t like the pilot stick around and give it a chance.

• Elyse says:

I read the same thing online! It said the first 4 were pretty good and the show has potential. I have a soft spot for the CW though. I always at least check out their shows and normally I end up sticking around and watching them even if they start sucking!

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I’m having that issue with BATB. I keep watching thinking it’s going to get back to it’s s1 glory. Fortunately for me I think the CW is going to solve my problem for me.

• Ally Oop says:

Same with me. The CW always seems to have shows I really like. Even. Ack when it was The WB/UPN I still gravitated towards that network.

5. Elyse says:

WOOHOO Go 100! Sorry TTP fans but I’m hoping for a 100 renewal over TTP! :D

• Gerald says:

We can have both. Tomorrow People did very well on Monday night in it’s new time slot.

Agree with others, I was not that into the Suicide Squad focus on Arrow last night. And they need to get Sara off the show soon, she doesn’t have to die, but at least move.

• abc87 says:

I think Sara has been a great addition to the show. But yes, the Suicide Squad episode lowered the tempo created by promise

• Jeff says:

I’m not bashing the show but saying that Tomorrow People did “very well” on Monday is a joke. Bragging that it double the ratings of the previous show is meaningless because at that point BATB was so low even airing a test pattern would have gotten higher numbers. A .4 is still a .4 no matter what night it airs.

• Brandy says:

There’s no way both TTP and The 100 get renewed.ANTM is already rened and takes a partial slot,HoD will most Likley be rened for syndication and Reign,VD,SPN,Arrow,TO are all already renewed.Thats 6-7 of 10 spots already filled.CW will pick up four or five new shows.TTP didn’t do very well on Mon-only a tenth higher than BatB has been doing except last week(and BatB is being pulled).an 0.4 is still bad especially on a non Fri for CW

• Evil says:

i hope they can TTP. It will make me soooooo happy!

6. Name This Tune says:

Season One premier of American Idol drew 9.85 million viewers. Last night: 9.66 million.

July 3, 2002 Idol drew just 7.5 million viewers on a top 30 night. Any bets on seeing those numbers before season 13 is over?

• soundscene says:

In fairness to this season of Idol, broadcast viewership across the board has decreased a lot since 2002. It was easier to get folks to tune into a little-known song competition show when there wasn’t a ton of original cable and on-demand content to deal with. So this season’s 9.66 million could be 12 or 13 million if it had aired in 2002 (or maybe more). A direct comparison between 2002 Idol and 2014 Idol isn’t really helpful. You have to look at how 2014 Idol performs against other broadcast programs airing at the same time.

That said, this season’s Idol ratings will probably continue a downward trend. If you look at the rank the show receives among broadcast programming at season’s end, the show’s broadcast “dominance” started to decline starting with season 11. Between seasons 3 and 10, the performance and results shows were always #1 and #2 in broadcast programming by the end of the year. (Season 1 did “okay” ratings-wise and season 2 had great ratings, but ranked top 5, not #1 and #2). Considering last season the performance and results shows ranked #7 and #9 out of all broadcast programming, respectively, my guess is that this season American Idol will fall out of the top 10 altogether.

• Name This Tune says:

I just went through the past 12 years of ratings yesterday. In 2007, Idol had 30 million viewers and DWTS had 20.7 million. They were #1 and #2 that year followed by CSI at 20.5 million viewers.

The Olympics drew 20 million fairly consistently in February. Idol was holding its own at 10 million but it premiered in January with 15 million viewers. In March, many shows came back from hiatus during the Olympics. It’s been losing half a million viewers a week since.

Meanwhile, The Big Bang Theory has held at 15 to 18 million viewers the past 3 years and The Voice is holding at 13 million to 14 million.

Granted a #1 show may look like 15 million viewers, Idol is not in that part of its life cycle. It’s in the downward spiral of a show nearing its end.

• soundscene says:

Yeah, I kind of already said it was in a downward spiral. That was my whole second paragraph. My only point was that taking hard numbers for 2002 and hard numbers for 2014, and comparing them, aren’t going to give you much information.

I then pointed out the season in which the downward spiral began (season 11).

• Name This Tune says:

Well you can go the other way and look at the 18-49 demo, which was at 4.8 in 2002 and is now 2.2. Either way, it doesn’t bode well for Idol.

• Name This Tune says:

Last week, the results show came in at #21.

• soundscene says:

The season-end ranking, though, will be calculated using the ratings for every week it’s on the air, and so will likely be higher than #21 since the premiere and finale generally draw larger-than-average audiences. These early live shows don’t do as well as the auditions or late live shows.

• Name This Tune says:

That’s if the finale draws more viewers. Season One is interesting because the show started at 9 million dipped to 7.5 then finished at 23 million. But averaged 18 million. The reaction to the show on the message boards is largely negative, so it’s hard to picture a big rally at the end. If it can manage to average 10 million viewers for the entire season, that will be good.

7. Jim says:

Things do not look good for The Tomorrow People.

• Ann says:

Why? It did well on Monday night. It beat Beauty and the Beast. If anything, it’s bad news for Beauty and the Beast and Hart of Dixie.

• Ana says:

It beat BATB by .2 points. That’s not doing well. Hart of Dixie is going on its 4th season and it’s more likely to be renewed for syndication. BATB is definitely canceled though not officially and TP is probably joining it too unless The 100 crashes.

• Brandy says:

HoD is gonna be renewed for syndication.0.4 is not good for a first season especially on a non Fri.TTP is most Likley gonna be cancelled along with CD,BatB,SC.TTP will only be renewed if the 100 crashes or if CW absolutely “has to renew” another show for filler/spackle.If TTP gets rened at 0.4 s in spring,how bad do you think it’ll do next season on Fri? HoD is moving to Fri with 0.4s.!.TTP has declined all season and lost half it’s audience, it’s NOT “doing well”.Plus with ANTM renewed taking a partial fall slot and Five other shows already renewed ,and HoD a almost certainty for renewal for syndication that’s 6-7 of 10 slots filled and then CW will pick up at least four new shows so there’s no room for TTP.The 100 grew out of Arrow leadin which TTP didn’t/couldn’t.

8. Ana says:

American Idol’s numbers are terrifying. Never knew the day would come.

9. Abigale says:

Good thing CPD got that renewal yesterday. Otherwise I’d be worried.

10. tv2day says:

Watched 100 on dvr. Better than I thought it would be. A few “continuum” co stars sprinkled in w Paige turco from poi and Kelly hu. Will give it a second look. Revolution’s storyline comes up short this season. I started fwdin thru it on the dvr. That means I’m about finished with it. Arrow was OK. Like how they have sprinkled in crixis n navea from Spartacus.

11. Tom Mc says:

I won’t mind if Revolution gets cancelled, as long as they wrap up all storylines and don’t leave us hanging!

12. ChicagoDan says:

Weird, no mention of the ratings of CBS’ all new line-up with Survivor beating AI and CSI crushing CP by more than 40 percent (2.0 to 1.4) .

• dan says:

Thanks ChicagoDan, I was wondering whether Survivor beat AI this week.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, I got immersed in a bigger, sexier project. CBS has been added.

• justsaying says:

My question: Who is still watching Survivor? Notice it gets no mention in any articles. There’s no “watercooler buzz”. Who’s still watching?

• wrstlgirl says:

Me :-) and most of my friends.

• Elyse says:

ME! Actually it’s the second season I’ve ever watched and I only started because all of my coworkers watch it! It’s huge “watercooler buzz” at the company I work for. I only started watching the Amazing Race and Big Brother for the exact same reasons.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I’ve never missed an episode in all these years. When I die they can put that on my headstone, hahahaha :-) :-)

13. Claire says:

I loved The Arrow episode of the Suicide Squad and the fact that we got to really see Diggle in action, great stuff. He and Lyla, I love that they are going to work at making a relationship work. This little friendship with Deadshot? Never saw that coming, but I like it. I’m sorry we lost Shrapnel though, yikes! (or did we?) That Waller is something else too! And they just stuck to two stories! — Diggle and his crew, and Oliver and his … issues.

As wonderful as that story was though, I sincerely wish that they would actually make some progress with the overall Deathstroke story. It is quickly going into “YAWN” territory! Slade Wilson? Who is that? I understand that they are trying to build the suspense, but I think they have been doing that since the end of EPISODE 9. We just ended episode 16 and how much progress have we made? What MORE do we KNOW? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I take that back, we now know more about Deadshot from this ONE episode than we know about Felicity! We did at least find out that she does NOT reside on a park bench or the Foundry (which is good, because that is … occupied and well, never mind.)

Speaking of sisters, I sat through them, still nada, nothing. I just don’t understand Laurel’s purpose. Pill popper, alcoholic, cheating boyfriend, woe is me. Now all of a sudden she is playing Dr. Ruth to the cheating boyfriend and sister. “How can I help, you?”, “talk to me”, “be my friend because I know you better than anyone [but I stand right next to you when you are Arrow and am clueless, and didn't know you were cheating on me with my sister ... blah blah]. Oh okay, I get it now, mystery solved. {wanders off aimlessly} o.O Moving on.

The show keeps throwing out all of these ‘OMG shocker’ moments, but they really need to start pushing some ‘OMG progress!’ Take away some shocker moments and give us some more meaningful scenes like what we got with Felicity and Diggle — we need more of THOSE conversations. That was one of THE BEST scenes of the episode. Where we actually learn things about who these people are, character development.

So yeah, good episode with some white noise in between :)

14. frank says:

Anyone else catch the Harley Quinn cameo in Arrow last night?

• Jason says:

YES!!! That was pretty unique the way they subtly dropped that in there. I just want to know where Solomon Grundy is at, or is that in the final episode leading into a legion of doom for season 3?

15. Jessa says:

I don’t really understand how the numbers work, but I’m always curious if they include online views? I watch all of my shows on Hulu and show sites. Am I contributing to or taking away from ratings? Just curious.

• Katherine215 says:

My guess is you’re helping, probably a tiny little bit. You would only be hurting the ratings if you had a Nielsen box and weren’t watching via your television.

• cjeffery7 says:

i’d agree with Katherine215 (though im not an expert). these ratings are based on numbers from Nielsen boxes in random people’s homes all across the country. they just started taking dvr and OnDemand playback into consideration (although those numbers aren’t included above, obviously), but i believe most internet views are negligible when it comes to the higher-ups deciding whether or not to cancel or renew a show. Nielsen’s are king when it comes to measuring interest and viewership.

• justsaying says:

Still think the Nielsen system is crap. No amount of statistics analysis will make me think that they get a good representation of the populace. My viewing habits are unique to me and don’t follow an algorithm. Especially since they (at least used to) base it on things like ethnicity, gender, age, etc… I know many people who are approximately the same demographic and we have wildly different viewing tastes. So if they are basing my type on one or two human beings who are supposed to represent me, then they are most likely mistaken about what i’m viewing. If a statistics analyst wants to tackle the challenge of explaining how it makes sense to us lay people yet again, have at it. But I admit, I’ll probably still think youre wrong.

• Name This Tune says:

I’ve had a statistics class or two, and there is a mathematical rationale for what they do, but it’s never going to match the possibilities of a good website.

• cjeffery7 says:

i’m on your side. the Nielsen’s are quickly becoming more antiquated in that they don’t recognize the engagement of the online community, outside of just watching shows on television. what i meant by “Nielsen ratings are king” is that those numbers are still running the television machine; they are the best predictors of how much money a show is making, and money is the bottom line for the network honchos who decide what shows keep going and what shows die. it sucks for those of us with an unpredictable range of interests, but it remains a valid rating system for the people at the top with millions of dollars on the line.

• Name This Tune says:

If you notice, more networks are providing on demand viewing. Any good webmaster is going to have a way of counting hits on a site, There’s a marketing department that is looking at those numbers and selling ads based on those numbers. So it’s all to the good for your favorite shows. Just keep on doing what you are doing.

• Craig says:

If you really want to help your favorite shows, watch them live on TV. Advertisers don’t care who’s watching a show, they care who’s watching the commercials attached to that show. While networks make some money from online views selling that advertising (companies pay a different rate for online ads), their money really comes from TV advertising.

16. Mark says:

With Revolution posting another bad week is there any news about this seasons finale been changed up to a series finale just in case there isn’t a renewal so the story is finished and not left unfinished like in so many cases……

17. Boone says:

Damn for Revolution. The show is so great right now. the last episode has action, humour and drama. All things we liked. Rockne S. O’Bannon, the Farscape/Cult creator write it well.

Great for The Hundred. The pilot was promising.

18. Mark says:

Maybe this has been asked and answered many times before but maybe the powers that run this site can add there two cents worth for the not so savy like me.

S09E21 How I Met Your Mother CBS Gary Blauman 2.9 7.78
    S03E10 Switched at Birth ABCFAM The Ambush 0.5 1.19
    S04E10 Being Human (US) Syfy Oh Don’t You Die For Me 0.5 1.13
    S01E20 The Fosters ABCFAM Metropolis 0.4 1.20
    S01E16 The Tomorrow People CW Superhero 0.4 1.17
    S01E05 Star-Crossed CW Dreamers Often Lie 0.3 1.00
    S01E08 Chozen FX Boy’s Night 0.2 0.49

If you look at the table of shows and ratings to viewers from Monday how does it work that the biggest audience of 10.97 million only gets a 2.7 yet HIMYM 7.78 million gets a 2.9 with almost 2 million people less viewing now these figures come from spoiler TV’s website as they have a table that sort of made sense, but if a show is renewed on the ratings how can it be done fairly when its rated higher with less viewers there are other examples further down the list as well. Is this why the current system is so broken with regard to shows getting the short end of the stick, can someone please explain……

• JC says:

The numbers 2.7 and 2.9 are the 18-49 ratings. Basically it means that The Blacklist skews older than HIMYM – in other words more people over the age of 49 are watching The Blacklist so the total number of viewers is higher, but HIMYM has more viewers in the 18-49 age bracket than The Blacklist does.
      You might want to check out the FAQ at TVbytheNumbers for a better explanation.

19. Chris says:

I think hart of dixe the tomwrro people and the 100 will get renewed and the flash the supernatural spinoff and ether I zombie or the messages will get picked up

20. Glenwagg says:

Save Revolution!!! What gnome programs this unique kickass show @7 central? And it still holds its freshman viewers with Dvr demand adding many more. Then you hide it for few failures ( Olympics fail) never publicized no public apps for cast. Pushing tired formulaic shows whose words played out. But not Miles,Monroe,Charlie,Rachel,Neville,Jason,Connor, grace,Aron, Et’s fire flies!,my God Rock–Kripe–Abrahms..they ‘re fighting for USA in Texas. Fight for this show..don’t let those “patriot” program pigs screw viewers desire to watch original shows n dialog.

• Mark says:

It seems any show that ends with Texas going to war with the rest of the USA gets cancelled just look at Jericho…..

21. Hannah says:

Yeah, but how many people will watch the second episode…? The tomorrow people is much better. The 100 gets it’s one season and then it ends. Everyone is happy. The Tomorrow People continues. it’s the better show and it deserves more room (another season) to finish it’s tale.

22. sham says:

The 100 – Has way too many commercials!!! I dvr’d the show and watched the timmer and there are more commercials than show. What a waste of my time.

23. Mildred says:

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment
    didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Regardless, just wanted to say fantastic blog!