Pretty Little Liars EP on Aria's Final Words to Ezra, the Christmas Episode and More

Pretty Little Liars Season 5 SpoilersEzra Fitz wearing nothing but a pair of Christmas boxers. … Do we have your attention now? Good, because that’s just one thing executive producer Marlene King tells TVLine she’s planning for Pretty Little Liars Season 5.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Season Finale Recap: Shot Through the Heart, But Who’s to Blame?

Fresh off last night’s game-changing season finale, in which Ezra got shot and Mrs. DiLaurentis found herself six feet under, the brains behind “A” spoke with us about our lingering questions — and what we can expect when the ABC Family drama returns June 10.

TVLINE | I’m curious: What was Aria about to say to Ezra before he got shot?
That’s such a good question! I don’t know if she even had words. I think it was probably “thank you” and “what are you doing here?” I think she was overwhelmed and definitely shocked that he was there.

TVLINE | And the fact that he was there proves he’s still stalking them, right?
Once a stalker, always a stalker, I say.

TVLINE | He literally took a bullet for her, that metaphor wasn’t lost on me. Was that supposed to be his redemption?
[Laughs] If there’s one thing we’re not, it’s subtle. I think there’s an emotion Aria had when that happened. I was talking to Lucy and Ian last night about it; she’s not thinking in that moment, she’s just doing. You can see how much she loves him now. That you can’t deny, and she won’t be able to deny that moving forward. She’s not immediately going to jump back into the sack with him, but she has to be aware of the fact that she almost lost him. That means something.

Pretty Little Liars Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | Is the big mystery of Season 5 going to be who killed Mrs. DiLaurentis?
Definitely. It’s a lot of things, actually. Who would she have been protecting? Who would want to bury her? Who wanted her dead?

TVLINE | And now that she’s gone, who is Alison going to live with?
That’s exactly the situation that plays out over the first couple of episodes [in Season 5.] Her father comes home and wants to take her with him, and she has to explore this idea: Do I really want to stay here? Should I make a clean break? That’s all part of her journey.

TVLINE | In the video you posted online, you said one of the girls will go on a downward spiral with her boyfriend. That could be any of them, except Emily, right?
Yeah, that rules out Emily. But I like that, normally, one person in the relationship has to save the other person, but in this case, it’s two people going down a destructive path together. Neither of them is in a position to save the other just yet.

TVLINE | You also revealed that Lucas is returning.
Yes! I’m so excited. There are so many story lines going on and we tried to wait for the right time to bring back Lucas in an organic way. This is a great season to bring him back.

TVLINE | Is he coming back because Caleb is coming back? They had a nice little friendship going on.
They did! They had a little bromance. I think they even had bunk beds, so I definitely see them continuing that friendship. But we see Lucas our first episode back, and Caleb isn’t coming back until our fifth episode, which will be our 100th episode.

Pretty Little Liars Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | Rumor has it you’re doing a Christmas episode this year, instead of a Halloween episode?
That is correct, and I’m so excited. I’ve been trying to make a Christmas episode for four years, so I’m thrilled.

TVLINE | I assume we can expect “A” to show up in a Santa suit.
That feels like a no-brainer, right? I think we’re going to need that, and if I can’t figure out a way to do that, I’m a worthless writer. … Actually, I’m trying to find a way to get Ezra Fitz into Santa boxers. Ian said he’d actually wear them if I could make it happen.

TVLINE | I’m holding you to that.
I’ll do my best.

Pretty Little Liars fans, how are you holding up after last night’s finale? Which of King’s Season 5 teases are you most excited about — besides Ezra’s santa boxers? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

_

1. Kaycee says:

I wish she’d stop trying to force Ezra and Aria back together. Is Aria that dumb to take a guy back who lied and manipulated her? – just let a major character die, it adds to the drama. I want to see Aria actually move on or have a storyline that isn’t purely about her ridiculous choices in lovers.

• Asher says:

agreed! Marlene needs to stop idolizing this illegal relationship between a high school girl & her TEACHER that stalked and manipulated her for years…This is worse than Bella wanting to be a vampire on twilight!! Where is Buffy the vampire slayer and her morals when you need her?

• annie says:

lol really? buffy dated two different vampires who stalked and her TA in college, i wouldn’t go around praising her relationships as “moral”

• Rook says:

Well at least Buffy saved the world. A lot. Wha has Aria done?

• annie says:

i wasn’t comparing buffy and aria – the person above me was, i think that it’s a ridiculous comparison because they’re both wonderful in their own ways. i just think it’s silly to praise btvs or buffy herself as being somehow more “moral” when it comes to romantic relationships.

• Fernanda says:

Ezra is worse? I remember Gossip Girl stalking and going to bed with Serena and Blair in the same year. At least Ezra only slept with Aria. They aren’t back together but I could imagine Aria’s reaction if Ezra starts to date with other girls, it’s about time

• Jay says:

The difference being Dan wasn’t gossip girl at that point nor was he the one out spying. And he came clean before getting back with Serena. Ezra on the other hand continued spying while dating, doesn’t seem likely to ever stop and only begrudgingly came clean when confronted. Worse, since hes still spying on them he hasn’t disabled any of the systems he has in place nor do they know anything about his methods or the times hes gone through their underwear draw. That’s a helluva lot more creepy than a guy doing a Perez Hilton and setting up an all-can-knowingly-participate website to which people sent tips of themselves in

• I’d just like to see Aria move on. To somewhere else. Most annoying character ever.

• Aria says:

No, your the worst character ever.

• Teagen storey says:

I Love aria, Ezra is trying to help all the liars. I would love for them to get back together but i wantto really see them happy and in love as they should be :)

• Andy says:

I too am a hopeless romantic. I want them to sort their issues out and finally have a normal stable relationship. It’s the fact that their relationship is so forbidden that it’s intriguing. I’d love them to have a happily ever after.

• DIVYA VARGHESE says:

cmon, he betrayed her, i think jason is the right one for her.

2. Kaycee says:

Also, I do like the relationships that the girls have, Caleb, Ezra and Toby. I know Caleb’s a fan favourite but I preferred Hanna when he was gone. Not many couples stay together during high school, bring in some new blood that isn’t around for 2-3 episodes max.

3. I’m not happy Caleb is coming back or Lucas. And I thought Jason was A, but who killed Mrs.D. so my theory is Jason was the one who tried to kill Ali and he is working with A and A killed Mrs.D I haven’t figure out why as yet. But I think A the leader is Mona. She freaking knew Ali was alive all that time.

4. A says:

Ezra has grossed me out since day 1. I wish they would just stop with him. I have also thought Melissa was behind everything since day 1 but now it almost seems too obvious. Melissa and Wren are up to no good.

• Leo says:

Yup Ezra in a boxer just grossed me out. They should just go ahead and kill him off.
      And the person killing Mrs. D, could it be Papa Hastings…I mean at the jail they keep saying “she” killed the other girl, they never said Spencer, now I wonder if Mama Hastings had something to do with the murder.

5. jade says:

EZRIA FOREVER!!!

• Dmav says:

Yes, please do cheer on the adult who is sleeping with a high schooler. That is soooo romantic

• Haleigh says:

I think aria shows how stupid teenage girls can be when they are in “love” and how easy it is to manipulate a teenage girl! so thumbs up on how realistic her decisions are!

• kat says:

actually, i don’t quiet i agree with you because yes aria is stupid and can be manipulated but not all the girls are stupid and could be manipulated. Ara is like one in a million. so there you go.

6. Dave says:

Check my comments from last night’s post. I called this lol. This show is ridiculous in my opinion not sure why I still follow it. At least I only read updates instead of watching the show

7. Rebecca says:

Glad it’s going to be a Christmas episode over a Halloween episode! Sounds fun! I’m happy Ezra isn’t dead! Love him so much. Also, hope this season is the last.

• Lambsilencer says:

It probably won’t be, as the producers said that they need at least half a season to bring things to a close. And since season five is already laid out, it means that they need at least half a sixth season to bring things to a close. I guess there will be a full sixth season, which might be the last.

8. kat says:

I can’t see how people want Aria to be with Ezra. Their whole relationship was him trying to find Ali. He has lied and betrayed her so many times. And he is a grown up and her teacher. It is wrong on so many levels. And he was STILL stalking her/Ali after everything happened. He is a super creep and pervert. He has no likable qualities and supporting the whole teacher, underage girl thing is pretty sick. Especially cheap from Marlene King to keep making it happen. Your show is already super popular, stop pandering to the least common denominator. He totally would have been arrested by now for rape, corruption of a minor, etc. moreso since he has more of a duty to protect minors as a teacher. I know it’s a show, but of everything, this is the worst.

9. Alyssa says:

So I guess we have the answer to the question. Yes, Ezra lives! [insert shocked face here].

Even though I am soooooooooo sick and tired of Ezra and Aria, I realize neither one of them is even remotely interesting without the other, so I will suffer along with everyone else.

As far as the couple taking the downwards spiral that could be any one of them because let’s face it, none of the girls really have their act together so any guy in a pairing would have to be ready for some type of drama. Now that I think about it, are there any couples still together? But, I’ll play along and if I have to name names, then I would say Hanna and Caleb because Ezra has been shot and the only farther down he could go is six feet under and I doubt if Aria would be willing to travel that far south with him. Spencer is already on a downward spiral. It started from birth when she was born a Hastings and had Melissa for a sister. She is now battling drug addiction and addiction is a nightmare in and of itself. Toby could try to help her, but she might turn away from him and instead turn to someone else, who knows.

The only thing I know for certain is that I enjoy this show and despite how frustrating the story lines are, I keep watching. I am apparently a masochist! :)

10. Jennifer says:

Basically I feel like they are doing everything they can possibly think of to stall actually answering the two big questions: Who is A and Who “murdered” Ali? This is getting so ridiculous, especially since they aren’t writing the 5th season as the final season. This show does not need to be 6+ seasons. They are dragging this all way too much and it’s getting way too convoluted. We have another “Lost” on our hands. They answer a few questions/mysteries and then they bring up 15 more. I’ll continue to watch, but at this point, the show is beyond stupid. The bad part is, Marlene and the writers actually think they are doing an amazing show… when in reality, this show is a hot mess. Whatever, though. I’m just ready for this show to be over so we can finally get some answers. But knowing Marlene, they won’t tell us who A is in the series and then follow up with a movie to formally answer that mystery. I’m not kidding, I wouldn’t put it past these idiot writers to leave us hanging on who A is just so they have a reason to make a movie.

11. hannah says:

Lucas finally! <3 its been forever

12. I hope Aria doesn’t get back together with Ezra. Getting shot doesn’t hide the fact that he was still stalking teenagers. I liked Jake. I’m not too thrilled about a Christmas episode but that’s probably because I hate the holiday. Santa is creepy so that would be a perfect time for Psycho A to show up. I just wish they’d resolve the A business along with whoever killed that girl and attempted to kill Ali and likely killed Jessica. It doesn’t always have to be about that. Would it kill them to have a season with just the girls getting used to having their not dead friend back? This is the show that drives me crazy. I swear I must be a sadist.

13. Dodi says:

So excited for a Christmas Episode and very happy to have Caleb back. Him and Hannah belong together. Travis is sweet though, maybe a love interest for one of the other girls? Last night’s episode was good, keep up the great writing and I love my PLL’s, you gals rock!

14. Dodi says:

Maybe bring rehab Dean back as a love interest for Ali because he is so cute!

15. kara says:

Paige bullied emily, Toby drove spencer crazy, and caleb was payed to spy on hanna. none of these relationships are perfect.

either way I LOVE Ezria!!!

16. Beth Ann says:

Ezra is gross. The man is a pedophile! So sick of all of these “Ezria!” people – would you cheer on your underaged daughter if she was boning her teacher?!

And I don’t want to see him in boxers, I don’t think he’s particularly attractive. There are plenty of other men on that show I’d rather see unclothed, starting with Noel.

• Jessie says:

They did not meet that way initially. Was it wrong to pursue it, yes of course. But this is a TV show romance… no need to get your knickers in a twist. And no one cares if you think he’s attractive or not. You will see Ezra in his boxer on Christmas and you will DEAL with it!

• Ashton says:

Aria and Ezria are actually in love! That’s what makes their relationship not gross like at all plus the age difference isn’t that much. So even when he hurts her she still wants to be with him because she can’t help that she’s in love with him and Ezria’s in love with her so he knows he messed up, but it’s not like he’s A he seems to really be wanting to help them out and getting Aria back.

17. Brandy says:

I love they’re doing a Christmas episodes.Cant wait to have Caleb back.Cant wait til June 10.

18. Jennifer says:

I was just on another sight and read that Ezra signed on for season 5. So i kinda figured he would live. I have so many different theories on this show its ridiculous. But watching the last episode and seeing how obsessed and insane mona is about alley made me think that maybe alley bullied her soo much and mona was looking for a way to get back at her and the other girls so maybe she set this all up. But who knows that may be what they want you to think, like everything else. Also, mrs. d worked at the hospital and Mona went there that could be how they are connected. I also wonder if Alley is going to stir up some relationship issues with the other girls and there relationships. Like maybe Ezra or Toby. Someone in a different post i think said that if Ezra lives they may make it so he looses his memory. I think thats a good theory because he claims to know who a is and if he lives of course he will tell, unless of course the the killer is not a, and a just hired someone to do that. I dont know i love this show but it makes me crazy. Very good writers though bc everytime you think a is this person or that person the story ends up changing. I just hope that when they finally do giveaway who a is that its a good answer and someone that makes sense. Not just some random person.

19. Carrie says:

I like that they’re doing a Christmas episode for a change, but I’m disappointed that Ezra is still alive. He is extremely creepy (always has been) and I just want him to go away.

20. Sara says:

I freaking love Aria and Ezra…how can you not?!

21. CHIQUITA says:

It’s a show for God sake… grow up ppl, for those who insist on talking about Ezra & Aria… they are one of the best couples besides Hanna & Caleb. So what Ezra’s a teacher dating a student. Like we haven’t seen it in real life…. & yes young girls do see PLL but if you have some education, then your kids should know these things although u see on t.v. they’re not allowed and it’s wrong, I think parents should instruct there kids at an early age what’s right and wrong, what’s tolerated and not at home and any where. It’s a t.v. show and I’m an adult and must say I LOVE IT!!!! love it… I also CANNOT understand why the new NBC executive discontinued the RAVENSWOOD show.. I think it worked well after PLL and was upset to hear it was gone after the 1st series compared to other dumb series goin on. I’m so ready for PRETTY LITTLE LIARS SEASON 6…. come on baby….

22. Matt C. says:

How is there going to be a Christmas episode? Aren’t seasons 3-5 supposed to take place over their entire senior year? If that’s the case, then that means that seasons 3-4 only took place over a 4 month period…which is just ridiculous.

23. Amy says:

Can we just not forget that there was an episode where Caleb saw a grave with his face and name on it with a dated picture back from the early 1900’s ! Whats that about?? Nobody seems to remember that but it was supposed to be a big deal, thats the reason he left hannah for the other girl because the same thing was happening with her!!!

24. mariaya says:

It’s a show…hahaha Jesus Christ

25. aw says:

I don’t get this- I thought Mrs. Delaurentis WAS A – with her being dead, who’s the roof -top jumper? Or were they just part of the A-Team?

And wasn’t Mona only PART of the first A-Game and being controlled by the person she told sth like “I did everything you asked me for” ?

… Gnnnnnhhh. This show hasn’t really made sense since the season 2 finale…

26. amber says:

Spoiler Alert if the show follows the books you guys are all in for a big surprise….I love this show so I wont ruin it!

• Nadine says:

I haven’t read the books but i’ve read that Marlene King said she wasn’t going the same path, I do know what that is (i wish I didn’t incase she decides to go there) and it would make sense why Mrs D covered for Ali’s killer. I would also like to know who she was on the phone with to on the night when she told Ali not to go out. It sounded like she was worried about someone not being where they should and wanting them found, again going the path of the books would make sense of that call

At the moment Jason is the only one who makes sense that she would cover for.

• patricia aragon says:

i seriously think you and i are the only ones that actually read all the books!!!!!!!!!!

• kat says:

what do you mean that you and i are the only ones who actually read all the books? i mean i want to, but haven’t. i love this show and i cant wait to see the next episode.

• Adriel says:

Marlene King has confirmed it over and over that the show does not follow the book. Like for example, Mona dies in the books after they figure out that she’s A but lives on the show. Maya dies on the show but she lives in the books, and vice versa for Toby (he dies in the books but lives on the show) etc. Besides, if the show followed the books, it wouldn’t be that good of a show because we wouldn’t have to try to figure out who A is, we would already know and that would take away the suspense.

• Ashton says:

I love the books!!!! I don’t really want the show to follow the same path they do through.

27. amber says:

Also the whole grave stone thing with caleb leads into the spin off show Ravenswood I really liked it but it got canceled after the first season

28. Aislin McGregor says:

To be honest I kind of was exited about a Halloween episode this season but I guess a Christmas episode would be cool I was wondering if u where doing the Christmas episode near Christmas I think that Hannah and travis’ relationship will go down hill because calendar is back

29. Rebecca says:

Yeah, I loved Buffy but not a good role model for what you need her for. Try again please.

30. chloe says:

well it’s nice for marlene to blab that ezra isn’t dead. but we all knew that anyway. hey marlene save some secrets for the premiere!

31. Angel says:

Exciting 4th season…i think the show is going to follow the books but their changing alot of thing around so if they are following the books A is going to shock pretty much everyone…can’t wait for season 5 :)

32. It’s pretty damn obvious that the writers don’t have the guts to kill Ezra. So, yeah, i’m sure that he will be ok in next season. I liked this finale, it was not my favorite finale of PLL, but it was good. Some anwers ok, but still more questions. All this thing with Mrs. D burying Ali alive just for protecting someone, just could have sense if was Ali’s twin, or Jason. Let’s see, because yes, i think it will be the twin theory in the end.

33. bosss says:

This show sucks. EVERYTHING Marlene says you have to take with a grain of salt. haha When she said that season 4 was “The season for answers” what she really meant was that there will be a episode at the end of the season that will “Answer” some of the questions.

34. Kris says:

I like Ezra and Aria. That is all

35. Brianna says:

Yes, a high-school teacher dating his student is wrong…but this is a TV SHOW! I know how Aria feels when you meet a man (Ezra) that loves books, poetry and old movies and who can hold an intelligent conversation with. Some girls are more mature than others and high school boys don’t make the cut. I know how badly Ezra hurt Aria, the lies for 4 years, the betrayals…it broke my heart when she found out…it made me cry so badly for a TV character. But I do know this, when you love someone and you’ve been through a lot of hard times together and how she loves books and poetry so much and so does he… they belong together. When Aria was dating Jake and they were watching that old black and white movie and she found Jake had fallen asleep and you could see in her eyes she was longing for Ezra, the one person who shared her love for old movies, books etc…it broke my heart too and made me cry. That whole relationship between them (Ezra and Aria) really touches close to home for myself as I miss my ex husband every day because of the passionate, romantic and soul mate connection we shared especially with poetry and the sky and books…. he betrayed me, lied to me for four years and even after I divorced him (because he was a heroin drug user) I still love and care for him. Some connections cannot be broken even after death of the relationship.

I found that people are so closed minded.

No, if I had children I would not want my daughter with an older man let alone her teacher….but it makes for a good story line.

But no one can deny the love between the two of them. I don’t think she will be able to get past all his lies and years of betrayal. Ezra broke Aria, he tore her heart apart. Watching her break the way she did… I don’t think she can forget but she may forgive because I cannot get over the hurt my ex did to me. But she will always love Ezra. But sometimes things are better left as is and just let go and live our lives.

When too much damage is done to a relationship, it is very hard to pick up the after pieces and put your relationship back together. Especially with what he did to her and all of the PLLs.

36. tiffaney witcher says:

I think A is the name
    on the list Hannah
    tried to steel.

37. Ray says:

hey when you go show more upset with Toby I think I’ll be the one to Chris character on there when the guy show more back to be in Spencer get in and get her possibly marriage or anything like thatalso I like to see more with Toby and Spencer living together have you slept great too but I really love Toby and Lucas I think Toby and look at some should be partners for find out who a is really is

38. Lucas is back ! Can’t wait <3

39. brenda says:

I love Ezra and Aria together. Long story short, they belong together! It would be great if it worked out between them. He definitely cares about Aria. I don’t see how someone can find Aria annoying? She is such a sweet person on the show. I can’t wait until Caleb comes back either.

40. Niklas says:

I can’t stop thinking about Ezra knowing about Arias age, which makes him a sex offender.

41. katherine says:

in one episode, Alison tells about a story with twin sisters . i think it she has a twin sister and this twin sister is ‘A’.

42. Morgan Brown says:

I think Mrs. D was protecting Melissa. It would only make sense. She said you can never turn your back on a Hastings. Also she obviously still loves Peter so that means she loves Melissa too. So yeah that’s what I think.

43. maria says:

I think A is Ali’s dad. I can’t wait for the next episode love the show.

44. holli says:

i don’t wanna wait to watch the next episodes

45. Jennifer says:

I am really anxious for the fifth season ! The whole season solved half of my questions but unrolled new ones ! I have read people’s theories on what could possibly occur in season 5 and I have got to say wow ! My mind has been filled with a ton of questions ever since the season finale ! I really can’t wait for season 5 and I am really excited for Tyler and Lucas to return ! Especially because I love Lucas and he’s such a sweet guy :) and for Tyler to return with Hanna maybe ? Well who knows , but hopefully we get answers to loads of stuff , and I know this upcoming season will be as great as the others or even better ! ❤️

46. Elyse says:

I don’t think all you guys should be hating on Ezra .like seriously grow up! He was trying to protect them . And what happened to true love?if you watched other interviews you would know the director says they love eacher.and a couple episodes back Ezra comfirms
    That half way threw the book he stopped writting about Ali and started developing real feelings for aria

And you guys shouldn’t say he should have gotten shot 15 more times -_-

• kat says:

what about all those other times? he was lying to her the whole time plus he slept with her and i think that he was on A’s side before he got real feelings for her. like seriously how did he knew that the pretty liars were in that shop?

47. james patter says:

Keep please or i may never watch the show again I love ezra and aria so much its cute how he gives up everything to be with her and ezra just wants to find ally to help her cause ezra is a sweet guy please never take him away and plus guys well who does not want him there wow just wow thats all I can say.

48. paige fountain says:

omg i think ali has a twi and that story she told on halloween about twins i think that was her i think the show is spot on with the book ugh cant wait till tommorow

49. Nikki woods says:

OMG I luv pretty little liars and it getting so intense….. I luv it!!!!💜💗💋 I just want to know who freaking a is…… I think that it is Alison’s twin and that she has her dad on her side!!!!!! What do u think?????💋💗💜👠😛🙉👙💄💋😍🔪😘

• kat says:

i think it is true, i think this A is the real Alison, see, when they tried to put the other Alison twin freak in the nut house this twin freak faked to be the real Alison and they unknowingly put the real Alison in the nuthouse, and the freak stayed with them. in the nuthouse this real Alison wanted to hurt the fake Alison for what she did to her and she wanted to hurt her friends too. so, she gathered some friends to do this. and this includes her dad i think he found about this and joined her side.

50. Shamira says:

I think Alison’s twin is “A”,,…

• Rae Cannon says:

I agree there is a arson her mom was protecting A I think it is her twin! You know they have books on this series it was a book before a TV show so if the show follows t book well then we will know who A is if we read the books! ;)

• raven kk says:

No the tv show said alison is not The one that is going to have a twin i think it is going to b cece