Ratings: Dancing With the Stars Opener Stumbles Vs. Voice, Castle Rises, People Beats Beast

SuperheroPitting a season opener against The Voice for the first time since fall 2012, ABC’s Dancing With the Stars on Monday night drew 15 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating (per finals), down sharply from both its previous premiere (16 mil/3.1) and its year-ago launch (17 mil/3.2) — neither of which vied with NBC’s singing show.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Leading out of Dancing, Castle got a lift — rising 18 percent and two tenths to 9.9 mil/1.8.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Castle and Dancing With the Stars

Elsewhere….

THE CW | Leading out of a steady Star-Crossed (1.05 mil/0.3), The Tomorrow People christened its new time slot with 1.15 mil and a 0.4, on par with its most recent Wednesday outing, improving greatly on Beauty and the Beast’s spring finale (800K/0.2) and giving The CW its best Mondays-at-9 numbers since the December 2012 Gossip Girl series finale. #Dair #Chair

CBS | How I Met Your Mother’s antepenultimate episode (7.9 mil/2.9) added a few eyeballs and rose two tenths in the demo, but 2 Broke Girls (7.1 mil/2.2) fell 15 and 16 percent, Mike & Molly (7.6 mil/1.8) was flat, Mom (7.1 mil/1.8) dropped 15 percent and two tenths and Intelligence (5.3 mil/1.1) was down 20 percent and two tenths.

FOX | Bones (5.6 mil/1.4) dropped 15 percent and three tenths, while The Following (4 mil/1.4) slipped 18 percent and tenth to its third consecutive series low.

RELATED | The Following Brings Back [Spoiler] – Did You Have a Feeling This Was Coming?

NBC | The Voice (13.3 mil/4.1) rose four tenths in the demo, while The Blacklist (11.1 mil/2.7) was flat.

RELATED | The Voice Battle Rounds Recap: I Know Forever They’ll Be Duettin’, Duettin’

1. Boiler says:

Not that it is a positive but would guess Bones DVRs well as Monday competition brutal. Not to suggest numbers wrong but seems odd 2 Broke Girls only down 10% in viewers from HIMYM but 25 to 30% in demo.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I have double-secret confirmed the CBS sitcom numbers. And like Shakira’s hips, they do not lie.

• Slowride says:

Blouh blouh?

• N tTVf says:

Younger viewers [demo] are switching channels in greater numbers than overall viewers from lead-in HIMYM to 2 Broke. That’s what these number appear to show. Perhaps the younger viewers DVR’ed 2 Broke and watched something else. Certainly possible – we’ll know more in a few days when DVR+3 numbers are included in the ratings/demo tallies.

Of course, we’re really going to find out about 2 Broke in a few weeks once the show moves into the 8pm slot (post HIMYM). It is show-time for 2 Broke at that point. The show has already been renewed, so perhaps it is a formality regarding what numbers 2 Broke will produce in that 8pm slot, but I would think CBS would like to see 2 Broke produce HIMYM-type numbers. Not sure if that is possible anymore with 2 Broke… 2 bad for CBS. If 2 Broke cannot hold up at 8pm, it could get really bad for the shows behind it – FWBL, M&M, Mom and Intelligence.

It could be a rough spring for CBS on Monday nights after HIMYM rides off into the sunset.

2. Eric7740 says:

Yay Tomorrow People!!! Actually building on its lead-in!!! Best Monday numbers in over a year???!!! Where’s our renewal CW???

• CBWBDK1 says:

I hope this will convince the cw to renew the tomorrow people.

• Gerald says:

I agree. I think this deserves a renewal. Curious to see it the 100 does better than Tomorrow People in the Wednesday timeslot.

• Television Scout says:

I think you both hit the nail on the head – anytime a show moves into a new day, and increases the numbers from the show it replaced, that is really good news. I think TP is a strong candidate for renewal. However, for the show it replaced (probably no surprise here), it is bad news – BATB cannot be renewed in this scenario.

• wordsmith says:

It also helped that it was maybe their best episode yet. Infused some much needed fun and lightness into the story.

3. shuayb says:

Bones is a cult classic. If anything Fox will give Bones a season 10 to wrap up like House.
    The Following is pathetic. I like Kevin Williamson but he takes his genius ideas and then messes it up along the way. Oh well.

4. Eric7740 says:

So Mom and Mike and Molly are essentially pulling in the same numbers as The Crazy Ones, and yet they were both renewed last week and The Crazy Ones is still “on the bubble”???!!! Someone please help me understand???

• Velocity says:

They renewed all Chuck Lorres sitcoms because they were getting much better ratings than TCO. Even though TCO has a much better lead in, it also was premiered after TBBT, its still the lowest rated sitcom. And unlike the Mondays comedies it doesnt have to go against a strong The Voice.
      I think the problem is the single cam sitcoms just dont work on CBS. Two and a half man improved the 9 PM slot as soon as it changed places with TCO.

• Ann says:

Plus Thursday nights are a heavy advertiser night because lots of companies use Thursdays for ads to promote things going on the weekend, like movie premieres, so higher ratings are expected. Plus, The Crazy Ones had an high expectations because of the star power of Sarah Michelle Gellar and Robin Williams. It was highly promoted, so the ratings, even though it’s about equal to the Monday night comedies, are considered low for Thursdays. CBS can choose to move the show to a new night, but that might not be justified if Sarah Michelle Gellar and Robin Williams are getting highly paid to bring in ratings…Money from ads just aren’t as pricey as ads on Thursday nights.

• Boiler says:

Don’t think TCO premiered after Big Bang

• Velocity says:

The Millers were delayed for one week so TCO could air after 2 episodes of TBBT. TCO aired after an TBBT episode that got a 6.1 demo rating and 20 mil viewers, and scored a 3.9 and 15 mil viewers.

• Butters says:

I believe more is expexted from the Crazy Ones given the high salaries for Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Geller.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Season-to-date average demo ratings….
      BROKE GIRLS…. 2.7 (3.6 with Live+7 DVR playback)
      CRAZY ONES…. 2.2 (3.0)
      MIKE & MOLLY… 2.4 (3.1)
      THE MILLERS… 2.8 (3.3)
      MOM………. 2.1 (2.8)
      2-1/2 MEN…. 2.2 (3.1)

• Eric7740 says:

Thank you Matt!!! Greatly appreciated!!!

• N tTVf says:

Good stuff Matt – thank you! :) I made mention of this up-thread – what type of DVR+3 numbers we are looking at with CBS comedies – particularly 2 Broke. Very impressive jump from 2.7 to 3.6. That tells me a whole lot of young people have a whole of choices on Monday nights, and their DVR’s are working in over-drive to keep up. That’s good. Demo watches ‘Voice’ “live”, and DVR’s 2 Broke.

That may help explain the renewals of all the Monday comedies for fall’14 (exception, or course being HIMYM) – a lot of DVR’ing taking place on Monday nights. I have to be honest here, however, I think ‘Mom’ is not doing as well as CBS (or Chuck Lorre) would like to see. The numbers are okay, but not world-beating. Mom *must* track M&M numbers very closely, or else one would ask, could another show in that 9:30 slot do better, and should CBS find out?

• N tTVf says:

Typo correction – I meant to type ‘DVR+7′, not DVR+3′. Also, with the ‘Mom’ numbers and the show’s early renewal for fall’14, my guess is that Mr. Lorre is planning to make some changes to ‘Mom’ to help give it a boost for fall’14. I can’t see ‘Mom’ standing pat – they are going to need to do something to energize this series for season 2.

• Patrick says:

Plus, M&M is on the verge of syndication, which means lots of money for everyone. Plus, its case is probably a lot cheaper than TCO.

• Chicago Dan says:

M&M will have 92 episodes at end of this season, so it already passed that number. It’s renewal over something like TCO was based on performance. TCO has really bombed at 930 even though 2.5M has spiked after it moved to 9.

• Television Scout says:

Yep, agreed. I think it may be over in May for TCO. We’ll see SMG back next spring pilot season. Too bad – I think TCO had promise, but it just didn’t happen, for whatever reason. I wish they had made the Robin Williams character a bit wilder – that is what I expected. Instead, he’s more of the worried father – not what I expected, and perhaps not in Williams wheel-house.

5. Mark says:

I watch ABC Family on Monday nights… I didn’t even know Bones was back on Mondays again. I wonder if my DVR got it…

6. wrstlgirl says:

The Tomorrow People has a pretty steady following and they are doing a big push for a renewal. I hope they get it. This season of The Following is horrible. I like Ryan & Mike working together but Joe Carroll and this new cult is beyond boring. I ff thru most of it.

7. kbr says:

Still can’t believe The Following’s already been renewed and Almost Human hasn’t.

• herman1959 says:

I tried watching The Following during the Scandal break, but I couldn’t get into it. It just reminded me of so many other shows, but without anything “special”, yet it was renewed so someone is watching. Please enlighten me, what am I missing, what is The Following’s appeal?

• jenna says:

THIS. I love almost human!

8. Jennifer says:

I know the Voice won in the demo, but was it down from last week in total viewers?

9. Name This Tune says:

Can I just say that I am thoroughly bored with the thought of another season of DWTS?

• chistosa says:

Of course you can. Every show does not appeal to every viewer. I am one of the enthusiastic viewers counted in the 15 million viewers for DWTS. I thoroughly enjoy it. But I don’t expect everyone else to do so. But I can’t stand any of the insipid Monday night comedies on CBS and the numbers show that others do like them. Variety is good, in that way there is something for everyone.

10. Andrew says:

People Beats Beast? Sometimes your titles are really bad.

11. mandy says:

So, I’m guessing Intelligence won’t be back next year. CBS hasn’t launched anything new that has been successful, comedy or drama. Still, I’m upset that CBS renewed every veteran drama except The Mentalist. Their set-in-their-ways/stuck-in-the-past attitude will bury them next year.

• Ann says:

I’m kind of glad Intelligence might not get renewed. The show wasn’t that good. Plus, I want Megan Ohry back on Once Upon a Time. It’s just not the same without Little Riding Hood/Ruby there. It was great to see her back there in Sunday’s episode.

• Chicago Dan says:

Yeah, cause a 1.3 in the demo is worthy. Maybe if it was ABC or NBC, but not CBS. If WB wants a S7, they will slash the license fee or ship to TNT. The only other choice would be for CBS to cancel TGW, which is the only female-led drama, gets critical acclaim and, of course, produced by CBS.

• Anna says:

TM suffers from its timeslot. Put CSI or Elementary or POI there and they would do the same. CBS protects its own. Period. And their trying to reproduce/spin-off their past successes will only delay the inevitable.

• N tTVf says:

My thoughts as well – I think CBS made a boo-boo by renewing so many shows so early for fall’14. How many pilots can/will CBS green-light if they have so few open slots to fill in fall? Note that CBS has Thursday night football as well in Sept-Oct. Not many open slots – why bother even fielding a full slate of pilots? They won’t need more than 3 or 4, tops.

CBS has always been good at cancelling series a year early, rather than a year late. I agree with you – I think CBS may be banking on too many older series for a year too long, and next season in May’15, this strategy could haunt them.

12. ... says:

I think Star-Crossed was a season late. It’s performing better than The Carrie Diaries was last season, but The CW is stronger now than it was then and it just doesn’t have room to carry these type of numbers. Which is a shame, because Star-Crossed is my favorite new CW show this season and I think it has quite a bit of potential.

• luvmypup says:

I agree. I think SC is getting better each week. They introduced it in a lousy timeslot and during the Olympics. Also it has not gotten nearly the promotion of The 100. It says something for SC that they have lost very few viewers since the premiere. I wish CW would consider having it as a summer show rather than cancel it entirely.

• Brandy says:

CD did better the first of half of season one than SC is.

13. Dark Defender says:

Happy for CAstle.. becuase #ninjas! it was a well rounded episode.. just hope we keep seeing an uptick until the end of the season…

14. Curtis James says:

Antepenultimate? (In your HIMYM report) Did you get a thesaurus for Christmas?

15. lupe says:

Happy for Castle! Hopefully it can reach 10m/2.0 by the end of the season

16. MP says:

I really like Intelligence, but there’s no way CBS will renew with those numbers. Maybe another network would, but not CBS.

17. lame says:

Good move by ABC moving Canadian Castle back to Mondays eliminating the slippage from avid fans in the U.S. live streaming and lowering their ratings. Streaming killed the ratings for 6.17 although it was the most streamed episode in years.

• Mary says:

Don´t know if I agree with you, tbh…in the fall, when Castle was airing in Canada on sundays, the ratings were better.

• Christina says:

Unless the American fans were Nielsen families, Castle Sundays in Canada wouldn’t affect the ratings. Castle’s ratings always take a hit after the winter holidays but usually rebound. This year, they took a hit after winter hiatus but also the Olympics (when most shows aired repeats), and it didn’t help that ABC aired a new episode, repeat for two weeks, new episode, etc.

I’m happy to see a ratings increase for last nights episode. If they can maintain those types of ratings and get back into 10 million for the remaining five episodes of the season, I’ll be happy.

18. Rex says:

Who is the guy in the pic?

19. Adele says:

Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People are a better pairing than Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast on Monday nights. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite CW show and was better paired with the Vampire Diaries on Thursday nights which is where they should have left it. I’m keeping my fingers and everything else crossed for the renewal of Beauty and the Beast which is a highly underrated show that deserves to be renewed and paired back with Vampire Diaries, these two are more suitable together.

• Boiler says:

Not sure how you say that for Star Crossed. HOD, In general, did better. That is just an awful position for CW due brutal Mondays. I hope HOD at least bounces back to what its Tues ratings were if not better when it goes to Friday this week.