Ratings: Glee Hits Series Low, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rises, The Voice Lowers

511GLEE_Ep511-Sc29_678Talk about hitting a low note.

Fox’s Glee this Tuesday night drew 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating (per finals), down 13 percent and a tenth to hit series lows for a non-holiday outing.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Continuing Fox’s night, New Girl (2.4 mil/1.3) dipped two tenths, while Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2.5 mil/1.2) slipped one tenth.

RELATED | Glee Recap: Nationals, Treasured

Over on ABC, Lady Sif (and an NCIS rerun) gave the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a lift this Tuesday. With 6 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, the freshman series ticked up 5 percent and three tenths week-to-week.

Leading out of that, The Goldbergs (4.3 mil/1.5) was steady and Trophy Wife (2.9 mil/0.9) added some eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo. Opposite a Person of Interest repeat, Mind Games (2.5 mil/0.8) rose 33 percent in the demo.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (13.1 mil/3.5) dropped 11 and 15 week-to-week. About a Boy (7.9 mil/2.0) fell 20 percent in the demo, while Growing Up Fisher (6.5 mil/1.7) ticked down two tenths. Chicago Fire (7.3 mil/1.9) was flat.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Battlefield Berths

THE CW | A game-changing, cast-altering episode of The Originals was flat at 1.72 mil and a 0.8.

1. Sam says:

Behold, what Chord Overstreet and Darren Criss have done to Glee.

• Gon says:

+1. Blam fans could deny it all they want but looking at the recent ratings, almost no one wants to watch glee to see them hogging all the spotlights. Harsh but sad truth

• Kaycee says:

Agreed! – I don’t even think setting the show in NYC will save it once Blam move in. Especially with the hints and rumours that Naya Rivera/Santana is leaving.

• Tai says:

I don’t get this hate for Chord or Darren. It’s hardly their characters’ fault that the show sucks. I used to love this show but it’s gone downhill rapidly since second season. Neither of them can be blamed for that. That’s purely the writing. There has been little substantial character growth since then. Characters do things that are so completely against the nature they’re presented. And let’s not forget the characters that seem to come and go without any explanation. No, I stopped watching Glee because it makes no sense anymore. All the people that I know that also stopped, did so for the same reasons.

There is one person I blame for this. And that’s Ryan Murphy.

• BenM says:

Completely agree. Now, the poor writing includes the characters of Blaine and Sam, but that still isn’t the actors faults.

• Joey says:

Actually it is partially Darren and Chord’s fault. Good actors can do a bit with poor writing. However, a mediocre/poor actor can barely do much with good writing, and Glee’s awful writing showcases exactly how poor some of the actors are.

• Mary says:

Couldn’t agree more. Honestly, Ryan Murphy’s attitude at the height of Glee’s popularity with artists that didn’t want their songs used on the show completely turned me off the show and anything Murphy does. Grant it, I got bored with the show during the second season and am surprised that the show is still on!

• Jase says:

WTF? Blaine was barely in that episode. If anything this is confirmation that when Rachel, Kurt or BLAINE aren’t the focus of an episode, people lose interest. They’re the stars of the show. This episode sucked because none of them were the main focus and instead we returned to Marley/Jake/Ryder who are just the WORST.

• Libby says:

When the show changes the night’s that it’s on and then takes break after break it’s hard for the average person to figure out when the heck the show is on.

2. Youn says:

Ugh really pissed about Brooklyn nine-nine ratings. It’s a really great show! I hope more people watch it. Glee’ ratings is tragic, I used to be a fan but RIB ruin the show in the worst way possible.

Overall not a great night for tv

• Mary says:

Agree about B99. It’s really a great show with a great cast so I don’t understand why people aren’t watching. Wonder if it’s not being properly being promoted. Don’t know.

3. mave says:

why is everything in italics?^^

4. Jared says:

Glee is getting killed on Tuesday nights.

• Marianne says:

Glee was also doing bad on Thursdays, which is why I think they went back to Tuesday nights. I think it was stupid on Fox’s behalf to renew it through season 6.

5. Kaycee says:

Oh how the mighty have fallen. It’s so sad for Glee. I watched “Rumours” from season 2 today and it was still made with so much quality especially compared to Season 5 episodes. Glee used to be a great show and the ratings are reflecting it’s quality. :(

• Jerry says:

Can you imagine at Glee’s peak of its ratings (except for the Superbowl episode of course), in the exact same Tuesday 8/7 spot, Glee got a 5.9 demographic rating, compared to today’s 0.9!

6. tv2day says:

Ncis in rerun so shield rose. I actually watched shield on dvr. Better ep than the usual kids stuff. ABC really sucked us in with the promos showing hulk and other superheroes at a distance. 15 episodes in and they finally show a real superhero. Second rate lady sif but much better than the usual EPs. Why can’t the bug forehead guy get nick fury on the phone?

7. Nancy says:

The network needs to stop moving Glee from different days, different times, long breaks, etc. I thought it was a great show last night. I really enjoyed it especially another episode centered around Finn. The only negative I noticed was that Marley didn’t get a solo. She has an awesome voice!

8. Iakovos says:

FOX needs a comedy strategy. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE and ENLISTED are good shows and need to be highlighted and given a smart scheduling strategy. Producers overall need to stop messing with their original concepts. NEW GIRL is not what it was Season 1 and THE MINDY PROJECT never seems focussed. As for GLEE, the wheels came off early in the run — Season 2 — when, flushed with initial success, we int he audience were inundated with so many new characters trhat cam and went, so many quicksilver plots and twists never built to climax or developed.referenced… well, it’s all been said.

9. ggny says:

Remember when Glee and New Girl used to be two of the highest rated shows on TV? Wow Fox needs to figure out wth happen

10. Andrew Hass says:

That is bad for Glee but maybe we should see how other shows in the same time slot did too.It’ll probably stay on Tuesdays for the rest o this season but maybe next season Fox will move back to Thursday or even to Wednesday.Plus maybe they could move it to 9pm eastern/8 central and have a good show be a lead in to it.Maybe Glee doesn’t work anymore been the first show of the night.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

DADS last did 2.7 mil and a 1.1 at 8 pm (opposite the Olympics). BROOKLYN NINE-NINE last did 4.6 mil/1.9 at 8:30 pm.

11. Boiler says:

Too bad people didn’t watch New Girl and Brooklyn 99 last night. I thought they were both good. I still watch Glee but I am not thrilled with the NYC direction and who will be there. Will miss some of the new people.

12. The Beach says:

Yikes! This is especially brutal since their “Nationals” episodes are usually some of their most popular.

13. Dani says:

FOX must be wishing for the moment when GLEE finally becomes TV history. These numbers are bad.

14. Christina says:

Trophy wife’s ratings make me sad. The show deserves more and I really wish ABC paired it with Modern Family on Wednesday nights.

• HeatherC says:

I agree. I love TW and The Goldbergs is really funny too. Hoping both of these shows get second seasons with better timeslots. =)

15. Riana says:

Fox is probably regretting that renewal now. Glee probably should have put Dani in Lima, because she’d be more appealing and would get some character development.

• Aries says:

I don’t think they are regretting anything. Most of the shows FOX is renewing have the same low ratings. There is a method to their madness!

16. Katherine215 says:

So annoyed that Glee with it’s 0.9 demo rating is renewed and Almost Human with its 1.5 is likely getting canceled. Good job, Fox!

17. Jamie says:

Glee is much better now, shame more people don’t watch live. Millions watch via DVR, ITunes, and other platforms though, so those numbers help. We all know how much Kevin Reilly lives DVR numbers. I can’t wait for the shift to NY, this shows just how tired the Lima stories and newbies are.

18. sarah says:

So happy for Chicago Fire and Originals.
    I love David Walton but was sure that About a Boy would be cancelled by NBC just like they cancelled Bent.

19. stevie says:

crazy how SHIELD is getting better and better.

20. Japp says:

For a while I was glad to see Glee´s numbers shrinking because I wanted Ryan Murphy and Co. to know how they were ruining the show by focusing on Lima and giving such little screen time to Lea Michele and NY – but now… well, those numbers are just embarrassing.

21. Ana says:

Of course glee’s rating’s are going to go down… its up against Pretty Little Liars…

22. glee also has to contend with ncis on tuesday nights
    and i liked the episode

23. Mikael says:

I’m so glad that SHIELD’s ratings went up. It was a superb episode that to me felt like the first time the show has felt connected to the MCU. Having Sif appear felt organic and not a forced cameo. Lorelei was awesome. I hope she can be in Thor 3 or something. And that ending! I hate that next week isn’t a new episode. They take too many breaks! Oh and would it be possible for Fox to take back their renewal of Glee, or is it written in stone? I rarely ever heard of shows getting multiple-season renewals, so I’m genuinely curious if a network can take it back.

24. Mitchell says:

For me Glee went downhill half way through the second season and has been going downhill since. I stopped watching back then but once in a while I do catch an episode or two during summer reruns, this show should have ended with season 3, it has become so ridiculous and unwatchable. .

25. Brunomobject says:

It’s true. I’m very disappointed with glee’s ratings. But probably it’s because many people watch it on the internet ( like me ). What channel does glee air? I have FOX and FOXLIFE and it’s not there, that’s why i see it on the internet.
    And i blame a little on the new cast in Lima.