Ratings: Resurrection Digs Up Big Numbers, Once and Revenge Return Up, Good Wife Down

Once Upon a Time RatingsJust as with Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, a lonnnng absence made Once Upon a Time viewers’ hearts grow fonder.

ABC’s fantastical drama returned from its three-month, split-season hiatus to deliver 7.3 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, up 14 and 21 percent from its fall finale and posting its best numbers since Episode 6 (“Ariel”). Chart!
Once_S3Ep12

RELATED | Read TVLine’s Recaps for Once Upon a Time and Revenge

Leading out of that, the premiere of ABC’s Resurrection — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B” — drew 13.3 mil and a 3.6, up sharply from Revenge‘s most recent performance in the Sundays-at-9 spot (5.4/1.3) and marking TV’s best midseason drama debut since Smash and ABC’s best audience/demo in the time slot since January 2010/January 2011. Revenge meanwhile did 6.5 mil/1.9 in its hour-later home, up 20 and 46 percent from its last fresh outing and more than doubling the Betrayal finale.

Over on CBS, The Amazing Race (8.4 mil/1.8) surged 38 and 20 percent versus last week’s Oscars-impaired outing, The Good Wife (8.9 mil/1.3) was down 10 and 28 percent from its last fresh episode while The Mentalist (9.9 mil/1.6) added eyeballs and two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | The Good Wife Recap: Integrity Check

And lastly for the broadcast nets (since NBC took a knee this Sunday), Fox’s Bob’s Burgers (2.1 mil/0.9) was down sharply in its special time slot, the second of The Simpsons’ two episodes (2.6 mil/1.2, 3.7 mil/1.6) flirted with its most recent numbers and Family Guy (4.5 mil/2.2) added viewers plus two tenths in the demo. UPDATE: Cosmos premiered to 8.5 million total viewers across Fox and the nine other networks that aired it.

1. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Wow, really good numbers for Resurrection hopefully it’ll hold up decently.

2. Eric7740 says:

Yay OUAT!!!! The break was much TOOOO LONGGG!!! The episode was fantastic!!! OUAT is amazing!!! Very surprised about Resurrection’s numbers as the promos did not interest me at all, and I’m a huge ABC fan.

3. Eddie says:

What about ratings for more than three shows????? Ugh.

4. What says:

Bad news for REVENGE.

Stellar numbers for Resurrection proves that people will watch something they are interested in regardless of competition. Revenge sympathizers have continuously used the excuse that the show is up against too much competition on cable and broadcast television. Well, now look. ABC took away the competition and Revenge lost a huge chunk of what was the best lead-in it has had since the days OUAT was doing much better numbers. This proves that there are enough people out there willing to engage in watching more than one high rated show at a time. Resurrection posting that number despite The Walking Dead being on is a big deal. So yeah, things are not looking good for Revenge.

• Robert says:

Not sure how you can say that, not only was it an hour later but it did BETTER than it did at the 9pm timeslot, pretty sure that’s GOOD news rather than bad, at least for the time being.

• Andrew says:

Resurrection’s ratings might look good now, but once they start serializing the story – much like Revenge has done – the audience will likely dwindle (as most shows do). Revenge is doing fine, possibly well enough to stay on the air.

• dude says:

It’s up for syndication and is doing decent ratings so I think it has about a 99% chance for renewal. I think storyline-wise it would be in the show’s best interest if season four was its last though.

• iMember says:

ACTUALLY, you couldn’t be more WRONG. This is fantastic news for REVENGE in its new time slot. Go back to January where Revenge pulled mid 1’s, it’s average this year, with a lead in of 0.9. Revenge proved to ABC that it doesn’t depend on a lead in.

Then look at all the dramas they’ve tried and FAILED in the 10PM Sunday slot and now look at Revenge which improved immensely from the dismal numbers that BETRAYAL had there this season.

REVENGE is a lock for renewal and I haven’t even mentioned syndication money yet or ABC President recently stating how he can see many more seasons for Revenge [and Grey's] to come. Take your Revenge-hating, troll self elsewhere, please.

• What says:

Why must any educated post that uses facts and numbers automatically equate to the person posting being a troll and hater? I actually watch Revenge, have since the very start. Do I want it to continue? Of course. But am I realist? Absolutely. And the reality is that ABC has no shot at making bank on Revenge in syndication. Look at Desperate Housewives. Look at Grey’s Anatomy. Both shows, higher ratings than Revenge, failed miserably in syndication. So why would ABC think they are going to make so much cash once Revenge reaches syndication levels? The truth is the truth. The show earned a few more eyeballs and a higher demo because it had a massive lead-in. And yes, it did better than Betrayal because it has a built-in fanbase. But is it enough at this point, three seasons in, to keep it on the air? ABC could do better. If Resurrection continues to do well, ABC would be wise to try and use it to launch a new successful show in the fall, not to prop up one that is 3 years old.

• iMember says:

I called you a troll because every time you make a comment here that I’ve seen, it’s always you insisting Revenge is going to get cancelled. Just in the “What to Watch Article” you were ranting on about the same thing.

ABC has an easy way of earning some extra cash by Revenge going into syndication with a 4th season. Money is money to them and I highly doubt they’re going to pass off the chance of easy dollars. More so since it is an ABC-owned show.

And again, Revenge was pulling great numbers in Season 2, but did that help launch any successful shows afterward? No. Even shows that matched Revenge’s audience. Look at Wednesday post-Modern Family. Big ratings, but nothing new is successful after it.

ABC is smart to have moved Revenge to 10 (less competition), because it has a loyal fanbase that will follow it (proven here) which will therefore increase their ratings for the timeslot and save them from trying and failing to launch other shows there like has happened so many times since Brothers and Sisters.

They will keep Revenge because it is pulling in better numbers than a lot of their other failing new dramas, Nashville, and also because it is a good fix for a timeslot that they have had a hard time with. It’s commonsense.

• Meg says:

Last time I was stuck at home for a snow fat Grey’s Anatomy was still on Lifetime in syndication.

• Julie says:

It still is. M-F from 1-3pm. It’s been that way for years. I’m not sure why that’s not considered successful but I also think the original poster has no freaking clue what he’s/she’s talking about. For someone that really likes Revenge they’re sure spending a lot of time trying to convince someone to cancel it.

• Jerry says:

I think given the numbers now, Revenge doesn’t need syndication to get it into 4th season. It tied it’s second highest rated episode.

And on your syndication argument, as I have kept repeatedly replied to you that syndication saves low rated shows including Ugly Betty, Fringe and Chuck. They didn’t do well in syndication, but it did get syndicated, and as long as they get syndicated, that will be enough to cover the costs of productions. Unless you’re saying out of all the networks in America, not a single network wants to syndicate Revenge? I haven’t exactly seen syndication fail to save a show with 66 episodes, since Veronica Mars.

But you just kept insisting that Revenge is dead on any article that has Revenge written on it. Why? Its ratings are on ABC’s average, which guarantees a renewal without syndication. It is no wonder people see you as a troll, because you just go against conventional wisdom and posting predictions of doom on every Revenge article.

• Jerry says:

And of course, you totally ignored your predictions of a 0.9 rating for Revenge. Before the ratings came in it’s dead, now it got a 1.9, it’s still dead.

I think you hate Revenge subconsciously, because a 1.9 is actually on higher than the ratings at this time of the year last year.

• Ana says:

While Revenge returned up, it actually went down from 2.1 to 1.6 in the half hours (according to nielsen media research). That’s not really a good thing. Actually, I’m guessing Resurrection is probably a big part of why it returned up.

• greysfan says:

How can you say that about Revenge? Its up 0.6 from its last outing. That has to be a positive no?

Amazing results for Resurrection. A 3.6 is great and this show was amazing. I’ll be back again next week that is for sure. I was really impressed and lets hope ABC have finally found something to cheer about this year. I am sick of watching a new show on ABC only to have it cancelled.

5. Amy says:

Love the chart ;0) I think that’s great for OUAT, it’s certainly not a show that’s easy to pop into here and there and not feel a little lost like some other dramas and it seems to be staying consistent this season. I think a show like this to be still doing those numbers in year three is great, especially considering it’s about par with the end of season 2 and the dvr numbers are high!

I didn’t watch Resurrection last night but I did dvr it (and Revenge) and will give it a try today!

6. Boiler says:

Looks like ABC benefitted without football.

7. uh huh says:

I started to watch REVENGE, realized I really didn’t care, and turned it off. Bye bye, done with you.

COSMOS was really well done, though it saddened me to think that we live in a time when these very basic scientific facts need to be spoon-fed to the public again (or still). It was also proof that FOX Entertainment and FOX News are very separate beasts, because COSMOS was clearly made to rebut most of the nonsense that many FOX News viewers believe.

• iMember says:

You missed an exciting hour of television. Revenge was GREAT last night and really dropped a satisfying bombshell in the last minute. Can’t wait for next week! So glad the ratings are up. ABC might have just solved their 10PM Sunday night problem. YAY!

• J K says:

Actually, much of what was presented was scientific theory, not facts, and this is per the scientists themselves. But I can see how you might be confused seeing as to how shows like this love presenting the theories as established fact.

And regarding Revenge, so sorry you missed out. You can probably still catch the show on demand. And although you say you don’t, you must care a little because you took the time to come on here and make sure everyone knew that you turned it off.

• uh huh says:

Which part is just theory? The part about the billions of other solar systems and galaxies out there? The part about meteors striking planets and causing cataclysmic events? The part about recorded history being but a teeny tiny infinitesimally small bit of time? Did you even watch it? As Neil deGrasse Tyson himself once tweeted, “The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.”

8. wrstlgirl says:

Loved Resurrection. Once was okay, I think I’m just getting tired of the show, but I am curious about the Wizard of Oz story. I’m not a Regina fan though so…….I’m having the same problem with Revenge. I cannot stand Victoria and Emily is getting whiny. Yep, I’m tiring of the show/s.

9. kcc says:

Love the chart!

• Eric says:

Those Resurrection numbers are huge for Sunday nights on ABC. I missed the premiere but I really wanted to see it, so I’ll be sure to catch up before next week.

10. Rebecca says:

Ratings may be ‘up’ for OUAT but 7.3 million viewers is still DREADFUL.

• Paz says:

It is not dreadful. Between 6-7 million viewers is average and more than enough to keep a show running. Anywhere between 4-5 million viewers, the show runners can start to get a little worried that maybe the storyline is becoming tedious, but still be able to run through with it. Shows like Big Love aired with less than 1 million viewers. Trust me 7.3 is not dreadful, it is actually a 70-75/100.

• Rebecca says:

It’s dreadful when you compare it to the 10 million it had in S2…. Like it or not…. I don’t see the ratings going up. I actually think they might drop more. But that’s just my opinion. S3 of OUAT isn’t good anymore. I prefer S2. S3 is just…. A giant disappointment for me.

• Paz says:

Yes, but all shows have ups and downs in the ratings. I mean, if you saw Lost then you know that from 20 million viewers that they had, it dropped to an average 12 million viewers. Obviously the scale is higher than that of ONCE, but it’s not unusual to see a fluctuation.

• Boiler says:

Pretty typical of all network shows these days.

11. Kim R says:

I felt slightly let down by TGW last night. It is an excellent show but I think we were hoping for a spectacular episode because we’ve been waiting a bit for a new one. :)

12. Lily says:

What about cable? Anyone know yet how Looking and True Detective did in their finales?

13. connerc says:

I thought Resurrection would get about a 3, but when I was reading on the tv numbers site, they were saying I was grossly optimistic. But, turns out even I was low.

14. DavidSask says:

Revenge will be great wherever it is put as rabid fans and does well. Resurrection I bet will lose half its viewers and have same ratings as Once and Revenge.

15. So upset about The Good Wife’s ratings… Last night’s episode was brilliant, it was an awesome built-up for the next 2 episodes! I’m sorry many people missed it!

• abz says:

I agree. So sad to see these rating for The Good Wife. It’s honestly one of the best shows on television. I’d love to see it moved to a different night and see how well it does.

16. Doug H says:

I think TGW got hurt by Cosmos and the ending of True Detective which got a lot of buzz among “smart” TV viewers who otherwise would watch it.. Also smart viewers know how to time shift and I would guess many of those viewers wanted to see first hand how the other 2 shows started and ended.. I for one found Cosmos to simplistic but it was fun to see the throwback to Sagan

17. Yay for Once Upon A Time and Resurrection. Great shows out there ABC. Congrats.

18. Pat says:

Your darn right, that ” Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder” and I didn’t even need to have my heart taken from my chest, buried then dug back up and placed back inside me trying to make me forget all these weeks of no Once Upon A Time. I survived and I am so happy for the return of this show and also, my heart is happy and pumping just fine!

19. Boiler says:

Don’t know what current plans are for Ressurection but maybe ABC found a show that will fit well with the hiatus strategy…assuming Mr. lee still around to keep it going.

20. Forwarddad says:

CBS keeps screwing with it’s shows so TGW suffers.

21. Not A Stripper says:

Totally susrpised by the number TGW is putting up. This season has been one the best; exciting, riviting, mysterious…Well maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but it has been fantactic television. As for Resurrection and Revenge, good them for them! While I am stuck on the UK version of Resurrections aka The Returned, I did enjoy seeing Omar Epps on my screen the story thus far, is pretty good.

Revenge continues to keep my focus be party of my Must See on ABC. As for the Mentalist still surprised it has not kicked the bucket after the end of last season. The whole FBI thing doesn’t do it for me, despite Rockmond Dunbar being a friend. I miss the old CBU team together, but will take what I get so far this season.

22. herman1959 says:

Matt, I really liked Resurrection and I would like to see again. PLEASE don’t compare it to Smash!