Performer of the Week: Castle's Stana Katic

Castle Beckett WaterboardedA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Stana Katic

THE SHOW | Castle

THE EPISODE | “In the Belly of the Beast”

THE AIRDATE | March 3, 2014

RELATED | Castle Post Mortem: In the Wake of Kate’s Huge Discovery, ‘The Stakes Are Higher Than Ever’

THE PERFORMANCE | It was an unusual yet seemingly manageable assignment for NYPD Detective Kate Beckett — to do the narcotics division a solid by posing as low-level drug dealer Elena Markov and thus hopefully get eyes on a big fish dubbed “Lazarus.” But no sooner did the undercover op get underway, it went horribly awry.

As Beckett was abducted and lobbed into the back of a van, Katic at first showed us a cop who kept relatively cool and collected, hoping that her oral narrative about where and how far she was being taken was being picked up by her wire. (No such luck.) When Beckett learned that “Elena” was not at all a courier but a stone-cold assassin, she improvised to alter the identity she had only recently assumed, and Katic met her alter ego every step of the way.

But once the jig was up — Lazurus’ go-between, Vulcan Simmons, recognized his onetime tormentor right away — Katic’s arduous on-screen journey truly began. Vulcan sought to wrest intel from Beckett, subjecting her to water torture her in a dark, dank anteroom. Yet Beckett somehow held her cards close to the vest, sometimes all but hissing with defiance at her adversary.

Katic also brought emotion to vastly different moments, first as Kate penned a “goodbye” letter to Rick (wearing her heart on her pen and paper like we’ve never observed before), and then after the lovers had reunited, expressing to her fiance how he, in spirit, was with her every step of the way, reinforcing her resolve to endure the nightmare.

Lastly, in a killer coda, Katic registered Kate’s disgust to learn who Lazarus really was, and to what despicable end — a reveal that reignited her zeal to one day take best her “Moby Dick,” the slippery, sinister Senator Bracken.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Spirited Away

HONORABLE MENTION | While Nina Dobrev is probably relieved to only have to play one character on The Vampire Diaries — for now, at least — we’re really going to miss Katherine Pierce. Fortunately, the centuries-old vampire doppelganger was given a hell (pun intended) of a sendoff in this week’s episode, thanks to some thoughtful writing and a gut-wrenching performance by Dobrev. As she prepared to finally face her death, Kat said her piece to everyone she’d wronged in Mystic Falls, leading up to two phenomenal interactions with Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley). Kat’s final words will likely always linger in the back of Damon’s mind — and Stefan will definitely never forget that kiss!

Which performances rocked your TV set this week? Sound off below and let us know!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. Allie says:

100% agree. Katic is a true actor in every regard. Whether it’s giddy over a day off, fighting for her life, or showing her love to Castle, she delivers the emotion perfectly. She could read the phone book and make it interesting.

• shirley says:

I so agree with the above staement.
      This was just perfect.
      We also saw another side of beckeet that we have not seen before.
      Her “heart (or pen) on her sleeve.

2. aurelie says:

Yay great performance by Stana !

3. Spencer says:

I also think that Shawn Ashmore from the Following was exceptional at showing his grief after watching his dad’s death.

4. Kelsey Tape says:

Reblogged this on Live. Laugh. Watch TV. and commented:
    This was, if not, the best episode of the season thus far. I’m a firm believer that you cannot judge a season by one episode. But this episode had me sitting with my hands covering my face. The writing was phenomenal. The cinematography was outstanding. And words cannot describe Stana Katic’s performance.

Spoiler alert: If you have not seen Castle’s “The Belly of the Beast,” then do not read this due to episode spoilers.

5. Mary says:

Totally agree with this choice! I´ve always tought Stana is capable of acting just with her eyes, without saying a word.

• DarkDefender says:

And as Nathan once said.. Stana can act chemistry with a wet paper bag.

• skrable2 says:

This season, she’s had to do just that

• gart says:

Stana is great but her fans should try to be nicer, IMO.

• LaLa says:

I like Nathan but he doesn’t seem like he’s really trying anymore. He hasn’t been quiet about the fact that he’s not happy doing Castle and the long hours. Stana seems really dedicated to her character and the show.

• gart says:

Of course you can have your opinion, and I like them both too. But I could’t help noticing that they have kinda different material to work with. I haven’t heard Fillion saying that he isn’t happy with Castle except wanting less hours, and as for that I’d think the quality of material written for him might have something to do with it. I’ve been noticing his character gradually having less to do and less to shine through the seasons, focus has been shifting from, like half-a-focus (as one of two leads) to may be 15 percent (not talking about screen time, just a focus and quality of the story). I doubt it makes an actor inspired to put in more hours.

Anyway, I just don’t think that a praise for Stana should automatically mean a chance for a dig at Fillion, and unfortunately I see that a lot on TV line. This article is praising Stana’s performance in this episode, let’s may be focus on that, not trying to kick her co-star along the way.

• Just one thing says:

I agree. There’s no reason to knock anyone else in this context. And I think most regular readers here know where I stand, so that goes without saying…

• CARBONA says:

I completely agree!! Seems to me that most of them are between 15 & 19 (or the intellect of) & just HAVE to bash Nathan for some reason. I also agree that he really doesn’t get a whole lot of good writing thrown his way. Basically only being used as comic relief now a days. He is good at it but I’d imagine he’s quite bored with that by now………by the way………CONGRATS Stana!!!

• Anon says:

Guess who fits the wet paper bag role. Nevertheless, Stana nailed this episode, totally and completely. Thank goodness she did not need that wet paper bag to put a drag on her performance. Emmy time.

• jee says:

Lol. I see Nathan Fillion’s self-deprecating joke made a comeback to bite him in the ass thanks to humourless one-track mind fanatics. It’s considered difficult to insult a self-deprecating person because they already joked about it themselves. But nothing is difficult if you are determined and dumb enough. Congrats.

6. lupe says:

Happy for Stana.Well deserve it.She’s the best!

7. Kate says:

PERFECT choice. She’s fantastic and so underrated!

8. DarkDefender says:

Good choice in Stana this week. Shawn Ashmore should get an honorable mention for the breakdown scene with Kevin Bacon. I also thought Clark Gregg was pretty good this week too, when he discovered T.A.H.I.T.i.

9. Karenka says:

Stana Katic? Really? I always watch Castle after watching an episode of House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, etc just to have a good laugh. Castle is just bad. No, it´s more than bad, it´s terrible. And Stana Katic can´t act. This episode had so much laugh out loud moments pretending to be dramatic. When they try to do drama you want to laugh and when they try to be funny you can just cry.

• Jake says:

I think you need professional help! You clearly are crazy.

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

then why watch? and comment? I’ll never understand why people have to rip on something that others like. Grown up.

• skrable2 says:

People who writes posts such as this are just trying to say that they’re “hipper” than others because they watch all the trendy shows. All they really accomplish is to come off sounding like immature sheep.

• Danyelle says:

what makes her look more ignorant is I’ve seen TVline give this award to actors from all her precious high brow shows. plus its not like its a competition, are any of those shows even on right now? its Performance for the Week not Ever of The Year. LMAO

• Anshuman says:

Truer words have never been spoken. If you don’t like the show, don’t watch. It’s a matter of personal choice

• Tarc says:

I don’t think there’s much of a doubt that you haven’t the foggiest notion about what you’re talking about. Let me guess – in your world, Oscars are given to the best actors in the movies that year.

• Maria says:

What on earth were you watching? Stana Katic is a phenomenal actor and portrayed herself amazingly in this episode of Castle. This show has so much depth to it and obviously you haven’t watched since the beginning to see that. You should really re-evaluate your comment here. Everyone deserves their own opinion but not all opinions are accurate and some are just stupid, as is yours.

• Sue says:

Go peddle your tripe somewhere else.

• TinLV says:

You are a TV snob.. you think just because those cable shows you mentioned have lots of gratuitous sex, bloody violence, extreme drug use and of course, the F word every minute and a half, that makes them better than network TV and makes you hipper for watching them. What makes Castle good is it doesn’t need all that stuff to make it watchable and entertaining. If you took that stuff out of some of those cable shows, there’d be nothing left to hold anyone’s interest. And Stana Katic is a good actress who could easily handle much weightier stuff, but glad she has stuck with Castle.

• arial2 says:

I think you really don’t get it. Castle doesn’t try to be hardcore crime; it’s meant to be more gentle with some humor thrown in. I think it’s much more difficult to do such a role. Any good trained actor can go all badass in a drama role, but she (even more than Nathan Fillion’s Rick, who is not expected to do the “serious detective” thing) must go to the edge, then pull back without making it a total comedy take on detectives. Good for Stana Katic!

• Carey says:

Couldn’t agree with you more! Stana is an AWFUL actress!! There are countless other actresses who FAR exceed her in talent, I’ve never understood the rabid obsession with her? I hate saying this because TVD is tripe, but Nina Dobrev can out act Stana any day of the week!!!

• Mary says:

And I couldn´t disagree with you more! I think Stana Katic is a very good actress – are there others better? Yes, of course – and there are a lot of them way worse!

• Rich Abey says:

Yes Karenka you are entitled to your opinion and we should respect it. But if you find Castle so terrible after watching all those first-class shows, why then do you continue to watch it? To enjoy the “terrible-ness” of the show or to gatecrash posts like this which commend some excellent performances by the actors in the show?

Plus you really can’t understand why people find joy in life by watching dark shows like House of Cards or Breaking Bad or The Wire, shows which for all their class & quality come to epitomize & celebrate the depravity of human kind where they continue to destroy each other & all that comes in between them & their goals. At least Castle is trying bit-by-bit to improve the world it is set in & bring at least a touch more joy to it, which is the reason why so many people (> 11 million live viewers per episode on average in the US alone) watch it. Besides, it has an impressive cast who deliver excellent performances week-in week-out, another reason why people watch it . So don’t tell me that all these people are wrong!

• Aditi says:

Then why would you even watch it! please keep your ignorant comments to yourself, you’re lowering the IQ of the internet!

• Manuel Schuster says:

Hello Aditi! I agree with you. I love watching the CASTLE – Show and I think that Stana Katic is a very good actress besides other ones who are also very good.I admire Stana Katic very much and enjoy watching her any times e. g.on Castle & interviews. She is such a cute and wonderful woman.

• Manuel Schuster says:

Why do you watch CASTLE, when you don´t like the show and Stana Katic. I am very content with her acting and the concept of the show. Stana Katic is an important reason for me to look the series because she is lovely and amazing in my eyes. It is not true that she isn´t a good actress Let enjoy me watching CASTLE and Stana Katic without your negative comment.

10. Really says:

Stana Katic knocked it out of the park with her interpretation of Kate Beckett in ‘In The Belly of the Beast’ as well as Rob Bowman with the direction and cinematography, Robert Duncan with the music and Andrew Marlowe and David Amann with the script. I think this week’s episode was one of the best episodes of the series.

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

I knew when I heard who wrote it & who would be directing it, it would be a fantastic episode & it was. Duncan’s music is the wonderful icing on the cake – the music as she was lead down the hall to the basement just underscored the suspense. He’s another unsung hero of Castle.

11. Tran 2.0 says:

What’s up with Beckett’s face?

• Really says:

You will have to watch the episode if you want to know :)

• Carey says:

@tran 2.0 That is Stana’s I’M TRYING SO HARD TO ACT LIKE A BAD ASS face and I find it utterly hysterical!!! Huh, and her fans wonder why no one in big films wants to hire her. Lol She is nowhere near the caliber of say a Jennifer Aniston even!

• S. says:

Wow you’re one of those people that gets off putting down other people on the internet huh? Saying you don’t get it once is an opinion. Continuing to post negative comments on a thread celebrating an actor’s work just indicates delusion. You know you’re not gonna convince other people so it must be just to see your opinions in print. It’d be one thing if this was a show and there were debatable points about it being good or bad (maybe about how a character arc is going), but this is pure subjectivity about an actor’s ability. Once the view disagreeing is expressed, it really doesn’t need elaboration. Keep on trollin’.

• Mary says:

And you are trying to be fun, but failing miserably! Jennifer Aniston, really?

• Carey says:

@Mary – No one outside the Castle fandom know or even want to know who the hell Stana is, whereas, with Jennifer Aniston even people who never watched Friends know who she is simply because she exudes a personality beyond the social awkwardness of Stana. God, how can you fans stand to watch that girl in interviews? It’s as if she’s on some serious drugs and we won’t even go there with her painfully awkward speech patterns. I’ve just had it with this fandom’s blind worship of this incredibly flawed individual you guys seem to consider “perfect.” It’s downright laughable! Not to mention the crazies who put her & Nathan together in real life, that’s absolutely delusional & disgusting! Way too many crazies in this fandom, no thank you. I’m out-mic drop.

• Anon says:

@Carey I agree with everything you say here! Stana’s acting is average to say the least. Anyone who has seen her minor parts in movies can attest to that. She comes off as very socially awkward in every interview, at every red carpet and don’t even get me started about her Paley behavior. My favorite is the Quantum Of Solace interview she did with an English accent, hilarious! Her fans have some serious blinders on when it comes to her, she’s far from perfect and I would not be surprised at all to see her simply disappear after Castle. Her fans are so caught up in her that they will retweet a pic. of a broken tree limb thousands of times, it’s like a mass delusion. I think the worst part is that her fans are so vicious to anyone that does not fall into the herd like a loyal sheep gets attacked.. well I for one am not boarding the unicorn express, that train can just keep on going.

• Jagger says:

@Carey – I have to say I have tried to stand clear of the hysterics generated by anything Stana Katic since her rabid fans tend to attack anyone who says anything less than stellar about her. I too feel that Katic is much like J. Aniston in that she will be forever known as Beckett just as JA is known for being Rachel. Kate Beckett is a role written for Stana Katic and she plays it as well as anyone who has had a role tailor made for them. Her performance in CBGB was uneven and her accent changed about five times in the eight minutes she was on screen. I too find her interviews hard to watch – she is obviously uncomfortable and nervous. In those interviews she seems more focused on Independent versus main stream projects, so maybe that is where she will head after Castle. I find it doubtful that the mainstream will continue to embrace her after Castle anymore than she appears to embrace the mainstream (beyond her fanatical Twitter base) . Evidence for that is the dramatic drop in ratings in the money demographic since the focus has shifted to the Beckett character versus the original premise of Castle and a team/couple dynamic. Excuses have been made for the series low ratings received by this episode (and the drops in weeks before)- no promotion by ABC, the lead-in was terrible, along with others, but the bottom line is… numbers don’t lie. Viewers show up when they are interested (Check the Walking Dead numbers smack dab in the middle of the Olympics). The show had great success when the chemistry between the two leads was a force on the screen. For whatever the reason, that has ceased to be the case. It does APPEAR that Nathan Fillion has at least mentally left the building. The writing for him has definitely been subpar this season, but his outward dare I say disdain for anything Castle is hard to miss. He is a TwitterAholic – yet he NEVER mentions Castle anymore – in fact seems to avoid it at all costs. I am afraid the cards are on the table and short of cancellation, Castle will be moved to a less lucrative day and time. They quite obviously cannot compete against Black List. One thing I can say for Stana Katic is that she is continuing to show up for Castle – mentally and physically – props for that. As for the performance itself – it wasn’t cringe worthy – but an Emmy? The Emmy’s are not the PCA’s where one person can vote 100,000 times for their favorite. Maybe just me – but I don’t see it happening.

• Anon says:

@Carey… Somehow I couldn’t agree with you more. Stana has all the acting chops of Pinnochio… before he came to life: utterly wooden, but able to dance a pretty tune occasionally if someone pulls the right strings. Marionettes don’t win awards, their puppeteers might; but that’s unlike here too, in light of a show that attracts zero interest form critics for good reason. People say she’s such a great actress (watch something other than Barney for comparison people!), just how many NYPD cops they think she spoke to about the ring to come up with her utterly ridiculous explanation for why it’s never seen? That would be an actress – researching her part. I’m going to guess zero – but hey puppet master Marlowe told her it was so! Perhaps her complete lack of range explains the dismal writing and recycling of old plot ideas this season – keep Stana in her comfort zone or the writers/producers risk pushing her into a CBGB like performance of previously unimaginatively bad proportions. Not that I’d let NF off the hook – he’s shown all the enthusiasm of a set of drapes this season but since his character has been turned into little more than ‘press here to solve the case’ window dressing that seems appropriate. He has little material to work with, not an excuse SK has with Detective ‘will handle the interviews alone now’ Beckett.

• Really says:

The truth is that I have yet to see a fan of Stana being rude to those who have a different opinion here. You two on the other hand, I hope you feel better with yourselves, you’ve shown your true colors.

• gg says:

@Really, you may want to actually read this thread, you’ll find plenty of rude fans and anti-fans of all kinds. I doubt there are any fandoms consisting of only polite and thoughtful people.

• Mary says:

I´ll just say you and your opinions don´t worth my time and the same goes to who think like you…because one thing is expressing an opinion and other, totally different, is being rude, harsh, disrespectful, etc – wich is what you and 2 or 3 behind you are!

• Janice W says:

Though I respect your opinion, I also have a right to my opinion. I love Stana Katic and really enjoy her beauty and her talents! I don’t understand anyone that finds it necessary to be rude and cruel. Stana and Nathan really do have a chemistry on Castle, as do the rest of the cast. I really enjoy this show!!!

• Bds says:

Let me tell u something about Jennifer Aniston( no disrespect to Jen btw) she only does Rom-com’s…I’ve seen her done anything different..stana on the other portrays so many characteristics for her character beckett and I think she is very much underrated..I think she’s an amazing, funny and talented person

• Janice W says:

I love Stana Katic! She is not only beautiful but talented. I also think she is underrated. I agree with Allie and Shirley. She is great!!

• lame says:

Wow, Jenifer Aniston?!!! Might try another actor if you’re trying to make a point!

12. STANA KATIC ‘s performance shows an incredible & powerful piece of work at her best
    No hype, she’s amazing, awesome with her great acting talent and is being recognized
    & noticed ….finally!!!I. I wish her the very best as she continues on with or without CASTLE.
    She’ll do really great and excellent work!!!!

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

I hope she stays with Castle for a little while longer. I hope they all do! I will miss it when it’s over.

13. Astrid says:

Great choice! Stana deserves the recognition.

14. Mel says:

Stana was amazing in this ep. She deserves all the awards. I would have given Michael Weatherly honorable mention for another layered performance this week, but he’s one of those under-rated actors that will always slip under the radar for all but his fans. Ecstatic about Stana though.

15. Marguerite Petrizzi says:

Totally agree with this – in fact, Stana Katic is this great just about every week. But this was a fantastic performance & she deserves the recognition.

16. Emma says:

Stana’s a wonderful actress and it’s exciting to see her getting recognition she deserves. Go Stana!

17. Lauren says:

Stana is just amazing!

18. CarlagUK says:

The writers could have enhanced her performance even further by making the episode a two parter storyline, The emotional tension had not built up enough to warrant her writing the letter when she did. Also the briefness of the episode highlighted the plot anomalies maybe more than if the storyline had been fleshed out more and not rushed through in the 40 odd minutes assigned to it.

Having said this however there is no doubt that Stana Katic really fourishes in the more dramatic episodes and these are a true testament to her acting skills. I just felt that she was a little let down on this occasion by the writing and plot limitations. Nevertheless I would wholeheartedly agree that she be your performer of the week.

• SapphiresNC says:

Agree with you that this could’ve been better as a two parter if they hadn’t started the season off with one. But given limitations of only 42 mins to get as much in as they did was a solid episode and outstanding performance from Stana. And want to especially give out kudos to Stana on doing her own stunt work in that water tourture scene and being thrown into back of the van, both were all her and not the professional stunt woman they brought in to do those scenes. Baffles me why she’s never once been nominated for an emmy.

• CarlaUK says:

I did not realise she did all her own stunt work in this episode. I thought there were great Health & Safety regulations which prevented this but if she did her own stunts then she was amazing. Still have a few issues but would agree that she is more than a worthy nominee for an EMMY at least.

• SapphiresNC says:

Stana has mentioned many times over the years she’d love to do more of her own stunts but those regulations prevent it. Those were the only 2 scenes where it wasn’t the hired stunt woman. From what the stunt woman posted on Twitter they both filmed the Beckett being thrown into the van but went with Stana’s take in the end.

• Lauren says:

I wouldn’t want to be on an Internet where the Fanions were subject to a Beckettcentric 2-parter, LOL. For a related question, does anyone remember if Nathan did any press at all for Target/Hunt?

19. kelly says:

Stana Katic was absolutely brilliant in this episode. This episode was the best of this season. Stana knocked it out of the park. Hats off. Definitely an emmy worth performance.

20. Rich Abey says:

Stana Katic was totally rocking & rolling this week. Performer of the month maybe?
    P.S. Probably one of Stana’s best performances on Castle…along with moments from episodes Kill Shot, Knockdown & After the Storm. PCA Favorite TV Drama Actress winner for no small reason. Deserves more award recognition in my mind though. All this talk about Kerry Washington not winning the Emmy this year…we should really start talking about why Stana Katic has not received even a single Emmy nomination!

• GPJ says:

ABC didn’t even bother to advertise this really important episode during its recent Oscar broadcast. You think they are going to spend one thin dime on promoting her for an Emmy? I feel sorry for her. She deserves better.

21. Patrick Maloney says:

Mads Mikkelsen was phenomenal in last night’s episode, his discussion with the killer was somehow both creepy and heartfelt.

22. Jennie says:

Completely agree with this, Stana is consistently delivering performances that can break your heart with the shedding of a single tear or have butterflies fluttering in your stomach whilst having a moment with Castle. She is, of course, only as good as the people around her, and Castle as a whole has been outstanding this season. I still wanna know one thing though – how has this woman not won an Emmy yet?!

• LL624 says:

She’s better than the people around her, imo. She was absolutely phenomenal in this episode. She really deserves much more recognition.

23. Laura says:

Well-deserved recognition after a fantastic episode. Playing a cop is often a pretty thankless job–especially in terms of awards and such–but Stana goes above and beyond. Incredible range and dedication. Apparently she did most of the stunts, including the torture scene, herself! Bravo.

24. dude says:

Nina Dobrev KILLED it this week! I honestly would rather have Elena gone forever and Katherine take over as the new lead but I’ll make my peace with her send-off.

• trainwreck says:

Nina Dobrev is the best! One minute she can gives you a goody goody two shoes Elena, then she gives you a conniving Katerina Petrova then she gives you a vulnerable Katherine Pierce! (not to forget another doppelganger crazypants Ammara). Good on TVline to acknowledge her performance!

25. Tati says:

Stana IS amazing, always.

26. K says:

This was such a great episode because of how Stana portrayed the story. Stana was amazing and really brought her A game. She really dove into the material that she was given. Stana’s dedication and commitment to the show is just amazing. I heard that she did all of the stunts that just proves her dedication. Stana’s emotional range in the episode was good too.

27. leigh says:

I second all the positive comments. This was a great performance and a well deserved recognition.

28. Dani says:

My number 1 for this week would have to be Emily Kinney on Walking Dead. The best thing they have ever done for Beth is sticking her with Daryl. She held her own against him this last week and, I think, it was one of the best performances ever on Walking Dead. I’m pretty much terrified that they will kill her off now.

29. Loly says:

Indeed, Stana deserves a round of applauds. Playing a cop on a procedural is often overlooked, but she has consistently given outstanding performances week after week. I totally felt the emotions going through Beckett in the episode, eventhough we all know Beckett won’t be killed off anytime soon. Glad that she was given the chance to shine and she definitely smashed it out of the park.

30. kirads09 says:

My Performer of the Week would be Shawn Ashmore – Mike – The Following. THAT heart crushing scene where he sees the pre-recording that Lily killed his parents. He stands helpless watching and then just completely loses it. All when he was just about to walk away because the whole thing wasn’t healthy for him.

31. christina says:

She absolutely killed it. Her stunt double for this episode said Stana did the water scenes herself for hours on end. I love that she’s so dedicated to her work and it 100% showed in this episode. Absolutely love when we get to see the more dramatic episodes that showcases Stana’s talent.

32. Teri says:

Stana shines onscreen with her stellar portrayal of Beckett. By far the best actress on TV!

33. GPJ says:

Week in and week out, Ms. Katic brings her “A” game. Even when the writing is weak and the concept is off. When it’s really good and all elements come together, like it did with this episode, Ms. Katic shines.
    She was really funny at the beginning, serious when it was warranted, and on occasion…heartbreaking. The water torture scene was pretty tough to watch, as was her face when she realized Harden could not be coaxed to let her live in the woods. The letter scene could have been written more dramatically, but she sold it anyway.
    When I see the old episodes on TNT, it’s clear how much Ms. Katic has grown as an actress through the years. No surprise that she was so good in this episode. I just wish ABC execs would take more notice and promote the entire show and cast more. It’s a real shame. The whole Castle team deserves more support.

34. really? this is probably the worse I have seen from her.
    wooden to say the least.
    I didnt care about her character a single moment. Especially during the famous “wet” scene. Awful, awful…

• Jus says:

yeah that “wet” scenes was pretty cringeworthy. But other than that, she was good.

• S. says:

Uh no, she was really dunked in that water for hours. That wasn’t a stunt person. Obviously they’re not gonna waterboard their lead actress but even pretend doing it has an impact. That was pretty method in terms of acting. Hate to break it to you, but that was talent on display. Stana’s never wooden. TV Line thought it was the best performance of the week but you guys didn’t? Wow guess we should all go with the experts here. What would professionals who watch insane hours of television and all kinds of performances from every genre know about how good a job Stana did?

35. frankie says:

Most all reviewers gave Stana credit for great acting. But one reviewer wrote that the audience should take note, ‘that we are witnessing a great actress in the making’. So true, so true. While I applaud Stana in this episode it should be noted that she gives her all time after time. A true and dedicated professional. Marlowe count yourself lucky for this find.

36. lilu says:

YES YES YES ! right choice for sure!

37. jeebus says:

OK, this choice sounds odd to me. Not knocking the acting, but the episode itself was so full of plot holes! More than usual. And dialogue sounded very trite to me. More than usual. Acting suffered accordingly imo. Some bits were good, some even Meryl Streep wouldn’t have been able to play without looking fake and wooden. Like that waterboarding scene pictured here. I read here she did her own stunts on that one. Well, good for her, but I thought it was dreadfully overacted especially that lunge/roar she did. I actually laughed.

I think Stana Katic had better episodes to recommend her. Killshot in season 4 wasn’t ideal too, but was definitely better. Target last season was a good one for Fillion (Hunt was too full of plot holes as well). Always had some good scenes for both of them. But this one? May be I just need a break from Castle, if this episode is considered good writing/acting now. I feel like I lost touch with reality, if this is an opinion of a majority.

38. D says:

Agree with this! Stana was absolutely fantastic in this episode and she brought to the audience a rollercoaster of emotions, of what her character felt. She made us feel what her character felt at the moment. The letter, the water torture scene, and the last scene showed us a great character development for Kate, and the choices she made (Seasons 1-3 Beckett would have died in this situation because she will just go head-on but now Beckett has something, someone to live for). Kudos to Marlowe and Amann for writing and Bowman for directing. There may have been weak points but this is a very, very awesome and terrifying episode for both Beckett and Castle.

This is a great Emmy submission and hopefully those at the Emmys will notice how great an actress Stana is.

39. bellbrook says:

Stana Katic did wonderful job in this episode, good choice for this week.

40. KC says:

There have been dramatic Castle episodes that have been better put together overall, but there were some wonderful scenes in this one and Ms. Katic was so much fun to watch as she navigated her way to the end. Great job!

41. Lynn says:

Ms. Katic’s range from light comedy to dark drama is amazing. She can do it all it seems. Her performance in this episode was excellent. I do think it would have been great to have this as a two parter, actually it was all done in 42 minutes! But I guess we have to be grateful for what we were given! That being said, on another note, I am so glad to see that most people here are smart enough to just ignore certain posters who are if you will excuse me..trolls! You know who they are and have not replied to their nonsense ..bravo!

42. candy says:

The episode itself has some plot holes, but it didn’t stop Stana from acting her socks off in this one. She took us on quite of an emotional ride, from beginning through end. Brava!

43. wicked says:

Wicked awesome. I’ve always felt Stana is an underrated actress. It’s easy for an actor on a crime procedural to be overlooked. Stana slid perfectly into her character’s skin that everything she does seem easy. And that letter narration? So much emotions in just her voice alone. Damn, it brought tears to my eyes even knowing she’ll somehow make it out alive at the end of the episode. Hopefully Stana will manage to grab a juicy role in the future that will further gain her the recognition she truly deserves.

44. Audra says:

Well deserved spot. This episode, along with many scattered scenes throughout the series are prime example why Stana is one of the most underrated actress.

45. Spence says:

Stana Katic definitely rocked my week. Woah.

46. Manuel Schuster says:

Stana Katic is, as usual, very awsome and exciting . Very good Performance. I always like watching her. She is really great!!

47. Chiara AKA Chandramas says:

Stana Katic was the most unexpected surprise I had from Castle. 10 minutes in the pilot and I was already amazed by her acting. Since then she kept getting better & better!!
    Honestly she was amazing in the pilot too, but I never saw an actress grow so much during a show!

48. Erin says:

Definitely agree, and I think this is fantastic news! Stana Katic is a glory to the world of acting (:

I do have a question as to why Aj Cook whose character on Criminal Minds was put in a similar situation in the 200th episode a few weeks ago, and the woman was phenomenal. She didn’t even get a mention, and I’m still not sure why.