Ratings: Almost Human Ends on a Low Note; The Bachelor, Castle and The Blacklist Dip

Ratings Almost Human Castle Series LowsFox’s Almost Human wrapped its freshman run on Monday night with a total audience of 5.6 million viewers (up 6 percent week-to-week) and a 1.5 demo rating (per finals), ticking down a tenth to a series low.

Leading out of that, The Following did 5.2 mil and a 1.6, matching its week-ago demo low.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Over on ABC, Castle (8.4 mil/1.6) slipped a tenth to a series-low demo, leading out of a Mixology repeat (which mustered 3.6 mil/1.1). Opening ABC’s night, The Bachelor: The Women Bust Juan Pablo’s Balls drew 8.2 mil/2.3, down two tenths.

RELATED | Castle Post Mortem: In the Wake of Kate’s Discovery, ‘The Stakes Are Higher Than Ever’

CBS’ How I Met Your Mother (9.1 mil/3.3) lost a handful of eyeballs and fell three tenths in the demo, but 2 Broke Girls (8.4 mil/2.6), Mike & Molly (8.9 mil/2.2) and Mom (8.4 mil/2.0) all added viewers and ticked up a tenth in the demo. Intelligence held steady at 5.3 mil/1.2.

RELATED | HIMYM Recaplet: Here We Go Again With That Theory — Plus: Robin’s [Spoiler] Arrives!

NBC’s The Voice (15.6 mil/4.5) dipped two tenths in the demo from its week-ago premiere, while The Blacklist (11 mil/2.7) dropped 13 percent to its lowest aprés-Voice rating.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Land of the Losses

The CW’s Star-Crossed (1.12 mil/0.4) ticked up a tenth in the demo, and Beauty and the Beast (870K/0.3) added a few viewers.

RELATED | TV Calendar: 70+ March Premieres, Finales and Specials

1. GuessWhat says:

I quit THE FOLLOWING when the Olympics started. And not going back. Surprised it had a bit of a slight uptick. Still doesn’t deserve a 3rd season though. Hopefully they will wrap up the storyline for you folks still watching this year.

• Laura says:

I’m not surprised it had an uptick – this season is even better than the last one.

• Tenney says:

I almost quit The Following after last year, but for some strange reason I decided to try it again and I can tell you that this season is so much better than the first season. They’ve added some new characters and storylines that are just plain creepy and suck you in. Although at times they do still make it seem that the bad guys are smarter than the FBI, the FBI has actually had a few wins already this season. Even Joe Carroll hasn’t been in total control this season like he was last season.

I wish they would have put this product out there last year instead of what they did put out there, but things seem to be getting better on The Following – at least for this season.

• GS says:

If you’re not watching, you have no qualification to say it doesn’t deserve another season. It has been so much better this season! Adding in different people and layers. I love it and hope it does get another season. Great pacing and writing. I care about the characters (even Emma and I never thought I’d give a crap about her) and can’t wait to see where it goes.

• Alanna says:

Thank you! I never understand why people who have stopped watching feel they can have opinions about future episodes/further seasons.

• nate says:

so why are you worried about it

2. James D says:

Too bad for Almost Human. i think the only thing that can save it are it’s live+7 numbers which i believe are pretty good. I really hope Fox doesn’t make the mistake of canceling it. the show has a lot of potential. Castle dipped too huh? rough night for my shows :)

• justsaying says:

Almost Human didn’t get enough promotion, imo. It’s actually a really good series and it’s gotten no buzz. The leads are compelling (although Minka Kelly is the weak link here. Don’t know if it’s the writing or her acting, but she’s just… blah). The stories are intriguing. What’s on the other side of that wall?! It’s a solid sci fi story. I just wish it had not been on a network channel so it would be given more of a chance. I’m sure it’s got to be pretty expensive to produce since they do such a good job on their futuristic special effects. I’m still holding out hope, but from the ratings don’t expect too much. Shows like this need more than a season to grow and more buzz from fans.

• Marcel says:

Well said and I agree! Would really be a shame!

• James D says:

Completely agree with you. I do think their are ways to cut down on the production coast if that really is the issue. i get it being the case for Terra Nova because of the CGI involved, but Almost Human doesn’t need that sort abundance in CGI because their are ways to make it look futuristic with out tons of CGI IMO. great point about shows like this needing more than a season to grow (Fringe). i guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope Fox sees the potential and gives it another chance.

• Jenn Warrington says:

It’s an intellectual show and unfortunately that doesn’t sell nowadays…look at sleepy hollow…I mean…it’s ok…it showed a lot of promise the first show but I think it lacked in the long run…now here’s a show (almost human) that has consistently grown. I don’t know if it’s the time slot (al catraz also failed here) or if they don’t include the use of tevo and dvr (do they? because I know I work a lot and most of my shows I watch but not at the allotted time slot) I would like to see this one succeed…but I’ve seen enough good shows cancelled before their time to know they probably won’t make it. Here’s some food for thought….Supernatural was almost cancelled in the second and sixth season afterward. Someone gave them a chance and they have flourished since. Perhaps they should try at least carrying this for another season and putting it in a new time slot with more ads. I’m sure it’s building a cult following as we speak….

• Dylan says:

Fox is so frustrating! Excellent show, good cast. Hate that it aired out of order. Good growth on the “buddy” team. I want to know more. Another Firefly-esque mistake if they cancel the show.

• Boston2AZ says:

Almost Human is superior to Agents of SHIELD in just about every way. It’ll be a shame if it’s not renewed.

• prish says:

Maybe, Fox will give Almost Human another year, in the spirit of producing a quality program. We can only hope one of the top suits is a fan.

• Oliver says:

too bad the show had so much potential with the mystery of “The Wall”. With the use of some good writers could of made it a mini series like Lost but with a good conclusion.

3. Just one thing says:

Despite that being a series(!!) low for Castle, I’m not going to worry about it too much. I’d be curious to know how many people even realized it was a new episode. (If you go on FB, some fans don’t even intuitively know it’s on ABC.)
    Has ABC ever done a 90-minute episode of The Bachelor before? If not, were they experimenting or something? It’s a good thing they promoted Mixology during the Oscars. Also, I’m sure people will tune in for Mind Games thanks to those promos, too…
    Castle, you just keep doing you, boo-boo. You just keep doing you.

• RBA says:

Yes they have….I don’t think you can blame the lack of promotion or the schedule. The show has been on the same slot for six years and aired two new episodes in a row before last night, so the problem has to be elsewhere. IMO that elsewhere is with the lack of direction this season and lack luster storylines in the fall..

The show will be renewed, but it will probably be moving to a new night and will struggle to regain the casuals..

• Just one thing says:

Just replied to your comment below, but I’ll bite here, too. Yes, Castle has had a pretty cushy timeslot. In fact, it’s the only veteran show on the network that has never changed its time. However, its schedule has been something like two on, one off, one on, two off since its return from the holidays. Without promos telling viewers the episode is new, they’re not going to tune-in in the numbers we might expect. But I don’t think it has anything to do with the storylines.
        I have no doubt the show will be renewed. I’m on the fence as to whether it’ll ever move to another night. Does ABC have anything it’s willing or able to sacrifice at the altar of The Blacklist? It’s second-oldest show seems to be the only one able to hold its ground. Revenge, Nashville, OUAT, and any new show they have to offer would probably crumble.

• RBA says:

I really think ABC needs the Monday Slot to launch something new. Tuesday’s from 9-11 are dead for the network as is Thursday at 8. ABC’s attempts to launch anything in those slots have failed, so why not use the one slot that could help launch a new show.

4. RBA says:

I been warning about a Castle ratings collapse similar to the one OUAT and Revenge experience last year due to their lack of direction and questionable storylines in the fall. It seems Castle repeated the same mistakes those shows did last year, and the general viewers are tuning out.
    If a Marlowe and Bowman directed episode that highlight’s Stana doesn’t get fans to tune in, it means the show has last the casual viewers.
    The casuals don’t care about Bracken or the Johanna Beckett storylines. What they want to see is Castle and Beckett together solving cases, and they are not seeing that anymore so they are looking elsewhere.

• Just one thing says:

RBA, I get what you’re saying, but I think you’re assuming two things:
      1.) That casual viewers even saw a promo for Castle to know that it was new. Did a promo air during Greys or Scandal? We already know it didn’t air during the Oscars. That leaves daytime, their low-rated primetime, and… well, no time.
      2.) That casual viewers knew this was going to be about Bracken or Johanna Beckett. Like you say, casual viewers just tune in. So, they likely wouldn’t read all the screener previews or interviews beforehand. For all they knew from the promo, Beckett just landed in over her head. It’s also unlikely that casual viewers knew Rob Bowman directed it or that Marlowe wrote it.
      I don’t think Castle is lead-in dependent, since 5 million people came back after Mixology. And it really shouldn’t be. But the airing schedule hasn’t been consistent enough for casual viewers to know the episode was new WITHOUT a promo.

• RBA says:

If you watch Castle last week, you knew a new episode would be airing this week. In fact Castle has aired two new episodes in a row before last night, so the casuals would have to assume that a new episode would be airing this week as well.

A show in is sixth season and the same time slot shouldn’t depend on its leadin or promotion. If you are a Castle fan, you are going to watch. Casuals too if they watch the week before.

The loss, however, is deeper than that. Casuals are leaving and some of the core fans are as well.

• Just one thing says:

Meh, 8 mil & 1.6 is still on par with other ABC shows half Castle’s age. No, Castle shouldn’t be lead-in dependent, but I think that with all the media noise, promotion is still key. Why else would NBC continue to promote its mega-hit The Blacklist? Why else would ABC continue to promote its own hit Scandal?

• RBA says:

Blacklist is a new show, and NBC wants to establish it as a possible anchor for next season in another night. Scandal is the only real hit ABC has besides MF, and it still has potential for growth since it is only on its third season. If Scandal were six years in, I doubt that it would get the love it is getting now from ABC.

You are correct that judging by the rest of the network Castle is still an easily renewal, but I would think that if the ratings continue to slide it will not see an eight season.

• Just one thing says:

I’ve never thought it would see an eighth season. But that has nothing to do with ratings.
            I think Castle is one of just a couple ABC Studios shows in syndication right now. So, even when it’s not doing stellar work on ABC, it’s still making the studio money. As with any other show out there, they’d probably try to pump another 45 episodes out of the show if they could. I just don’t think it’s going to happen.

• Francine says:

I’m no ratings expert, but doesn’t this show typically have much lower ratings this time of the year?

• Va_Green says:

I thought Castle was new last night until I put ABC on at 10 sharp and saw Mixology. I changed channels.I figured they’d rescheduled. Bummer.

• Name This Tune says:

I don’t know what you are complaining about. The show was #2 in its time slot. A lot of the people watching CBS and NBC went somewhere since both networks lost viewers.
      We have not seen the live +DVR numbers. I am one of the DVR viewers.

5. spindae2 says:

Following was extremly good last night. Every time Mike and Ryan have their Bromance moments I’m thrilled. and the addition of Mikah and Julia worked really well. Glad that Star-crossed ticked up, hopefully the show gets more space and people start follow cause it is realyl captivating.

6. Miriam Maurer says:

ABC should have saved the last 3 Castle episodes for when Dancing with the Stars came back on!!

7. Eric7740 says:

The Following is on fire this season, the pace is excellent, the story it gripping. Season 1 was good, but Season 2 is much better!!!

8. christina says:

Disappointed in the Castle ratings for such a spectacular episode. Good job on the offensive Mixology lead in, ABC!

I really hope Almost Human gets a second season. It does better in the L+7 ratings, but I do’t know if that will be enough to sway FOX.

9. GuessWhat says:

Sorry for not paying attention — but what goes into ALMOST HUMAN’s time slot next week? Should be interesting to see how that audience affects THE FOLLOWING’s #s.

10. GS says:

The Following is freaking awesome this season! The addition of Lilly and her nutball ‘family’ and now Mikah’s cult is bringing more crazy and it’s so much fun! I love the addition of Max and I’m glad that Mike and Ryan are getting their bromance back. They have fixed some of the stuff that bugged me like the FBI always being 20 steps behind and it’s sooo much better this season. Can’t wait to see where they go with all these crazy killers vying for power! I can’t wait from one week to the next!

11. Mary says:

Man I don’t like the forecast for Almost Human. I really like that show! It seems all of my shows are seriously on the bubble and NOT looking good – Carrie Diaries, Hart of Dixie :-/

• justsaying says:

Well, Carrie Diaries was just not a good show from the beginning, so not a good example. It’s gone and shouldn’t even have bothered with a second season. (the original showrunner left after the first). Hart of Dixie tried really hard to be Gilmore Girls, but got caught up in trying to be TOO cutesy. Zoe’s over the top antics and the continual love triangle matchups were polarizing for fans. And some characters were just annoying that they kept around too long (Lindley, I’m looking at YOU and your awful southern valley girl accent/character). Almost Human, however, is above both of those in terms of quality of story, acting, and execution. I will be VERY sad to see it go, if it does.

• Mary says:

I disagree that the Carrie diaries isn’t a good show. I didn’t expect to like it but I have thoroughly enjoyed the first season. Still haven’t watched season 2 so I can’t speak for it. I know that it doesn’t get the ratings to “deserve” a renewal but I still think it was a good show. I wonder if it would have worked better as a “stand alone” show that’s separate from sex and the city since I know a lot of complaints were related to that. I do agree with you that Hart of Dixie hasn’t been that great this season. The first season – I was hooked but this season, the new characters (like Linley, who almost made me quit the show) and less than compelling storylines, it just hasn’t been that great.

• Ashbash says:

I still have faith in hart of Dixie since the Monday night problem is still proving to be beauty and the beast and their less than a million a week viewers. Even hart of Dixie could pull over a million viewers. If hart of Dixie could just get rid of the stupid Zoe/Joel storyline and get lemon, Zoe, wade, and George back to normal the show could have a chance. But these random new people w/no cast chemistry and relationships are killing this show. But I’m crossing my fingers for another season and for it to be paired with star-crossed

• Mary says:

Completely agree with you about the problems with HoD. They new characters have really not been compelling or interesting at. all. Grant it, I have somewhat grown more tolerant of Joel since the beginning but I really didn’t expect to him to be around for so long and I don’t know what the end game is supposed to be for them. And I HATE wade dating Zoe’s cousin – bleh. They need to bring lemon back stat now that she’s had her baby. She has been sorely missed.

• luvmypup says:

I absolutely want them to keep Star Crossed. To be placed in a terrible time slot without a good lead in, it has kept the number of viewers that HOD has and has done pretty well in repeats. I hope the CW will give it a chance.

• Abigale says:

Keeping the same numbers as HOD is not a good thing. Those numbers are terrible and the only thing keeping HOD around is the fact that it is close to syndication. Star Crossed is not.

• Brandy says:

HoD will most Likley be renewed for syndication.

12. demoniam says:

Really hope Almost Human gets a second season. Plot has some, ok, lots of holes to fill and questions to answer (what’s over the wall?), but the chemistry between Karl Urban and Michael Ealy is so great and fun to watch. It would really be a shame if FOX cancels their crime-fighting duo.

• justsaying says:

Yes! about the chemistry between Urban and Ealy. I wrote the same in a similar post before seeing yours. This would be one of the biggest shames of the season if it gets cancelled. And to compare to previous years, I thought the same about Human Target and Last Resort.

• Gwen says:

I totally agree…the chemistry between Urban and Ealy is absolutely the best part of the show.

• prish says:

Fox is nuts if it doesn’t keep with the two cuties, Urban and Ealy. They should do a whole year’s re-runs this summer, then the younger demo would take a look. I bet it would take off, then.

• Frankie707 says:

Agree! I know the ratings don’t look spectacular for renewal, but I am holding onto a bit a hope we’ll see a season 2. I love the relationship that has developed between Kennex and Dorian. They’re great together. While I’m happy it didn’t actually end on a cliff-hanger just in case we don’t get more, I do think there are many questions yet for them to answer…what is up with The Wall (and everything that would go along with that)?

• LynnH says:

Urban and Ealy are just wonderful. Ealy’s acting is so good I honestly believe he’s a DRN!

13. Hmm says:

BATB last night made me happy because it ended on a positive note for Vincent and Catherine. THIS is what I want to see! Next week’s spring finale looks like it’s going to be intense, and a decision is on the horizon for Catherine. Will be interesting to see what Gabe could/would do to keep Vincent and Catherine away from each other. CW PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!

• tp says:

I feel like the ratings are taking a big hit because of the direction they took the show. Breaking up Vincent/Kat. Maybe if they got another season they could bring it back around. I wish the CW would see that not every single show needs a love triangle.

• justsaying says:

I know. Is it a CW mandate? Must have love triangle? I get that you need to have conflict to make a story interesting, but there are plenty of other stories to tell other than love triangles.

• Hmm says:

I’ll admit the writers really fudged the season. But I think of all CW’s bubble shows, this one can turn around. And yes, CW must believe their shows need to be about triangles, because legit EVERY show I’ve watched this year has some sort of triangle, with the exception of Supernatural,.

• wrstlgirl says:

The problem with BATB is all the back and forth with Vincent and Catherine. Yeah, they ended on a high note, getting together after she tried to break it off (again) but, she will counter that with some crap like “it never should have happened, I’m with Gab now” It’s tiring and has been going on all season. I’ll be surprised if it gets renewed. To bad, s1 was so good.

14. Lisa says:

Castle will be renewed for hopefully one last season next year. Perfect time to end in season 7 at about 150 episodes. Go out strong, that is my hope.

15. Noel says:

I love Intelligence! Love the chemistry between Gabriel and Riley.

• Katherine215 says:

Me, too! Gabriel and Riley seem to just sizzle in their scenes together. Looking at the ratings, I’m sure it doesn’t have a prayer of renewal, but I really like the show. It’s done a good job of developing the supporting cast, so I’m really starting to enjoy their little unit. Much as I love it, I wish The Blacklist would do that a bit more with its supporting cast. I want to see Keene and Ressler and Meera and the tech guy (Amar?) bonding a bit more.

16. Diz says:

Almost Human is my favorite new show of the season. I hope it sticks around.

17. sarah says:

Blacklist still won the time slot even though it was down last night. It was a great episode and the reveal at the end OMG.
    I will watch Intelligence soon.

• Katherine215 says:

I think we all knew that reveal HAD to be coming at some point, but I still yelled at my tv when it happened. The 10pm shows were all really good last night. I hate how much I look forward to Mondays!

• Kim R says:

It is such a well written, well acted show. And Dianne Wiest to boot! The reveal at the end gave us a concrete piece of new info now. And on we go! :D

18. David4 says:

“Which Fox bubble drama will Batman vanquish? Stay tuned to this Matttime, this Mattchannel!”

None being that Fox has three houses to fill with The X Factor being canceled.

19. Ava says:

The Following is can’t miss this season. I am floored every week. The cast and writing is amazing. Also love Blacklist. Hope The Following gets another season.

20. Tracy says:

Do we have rarings on Bates Motel yet??? Fingers crossed they’re strong!!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Cable ratings always come in much later, and are typially reported under separate cover.

UPDATE: BATES did 3.07 million viewers and a 1.3 demo rating, on par with its Season 1 premiere. THOSE WHO KILL then tanked, with 1.44 mil/0.5.

21. LynnH says:

I look forward to every episode of Almost Human and would be very disappointed if it didn’t get another season.The show has a lot of heart. I believe the ratings were very good prior to The Voice so I really hope all factors are taken into consideration.

22. tkeller says:

I have loved Castle since the very first episode. I would continue to watch the show “come Hell or high water” as long as the show is being made. I find lots to like in each episode, whether it’s Caskett-oriented or not. It’s just excellent story writing and acting, and hey, who doesn’t want to see Nathan Fillion each week?
    While I may always watch, even the reruns, not everyone is the die-hard fan I am. So, why can’t ABC promote it more? No show can maintain strong ratings consistently without some promotion. Castle has been good for ABC, so you’d think they’d want to grow the audience, not take the audience for granted. Despite my desire to see the show go on forever, I remember several years ago reading that Nathan would like for the series to end still strong, and not be run into the ground. Also, while I’m sure the cast and crew all love being employed, I know that at least Nathan seems to have no shortage of other acting possibilities awaiting him, if he were more free to pursue them. I hope he continues to fit them in while still shooting Castle. But if not, I’d like to see a minimum of 1-2 more seasons to see Castle & Beckett’s married life, and maybe even long enough to have a child. That way all the longtime fans can get closure and be content. So, let’s hope ABC doesn’t do anything stupid to jeopardize my wishes!

• Lupe says:

@tkeller I agree with you, I love this show and hopefully it will last long enough for a happy ending. I follow it especially because of Stana, I think she’s great, but also Nathan and the rest of the cast are the best on tv right now. Really surprise and disappointed about the ratings, it was a great episode. Lets hope that ABC do something about it.

23. Luli says:

3 straight week losses for castle? what is going on?? the last episodes have been fantastic!

24. Phoebe says:

I’m sad about Castle’s ratings. That episode was one of my favorites for this season or the series in total. Stana Katic did such a great job! I love the Johanna/Bracken story line and I especially love the darker, more intense episodes. I hope we get more of them! I’m kind of tired of the silly episodes.

25. Pugmomx3 says:

Season 2 of the following is much better this season!! I’m loving it. Bones is awesome as always… Castle I love ya always a good show hope it stays strong. All in all this has been a good tv season and I hope theses shows all stay strong and return for many more seasons!! I use to watch new girl but it’s lost some of ors magic this time around.