Ratings: Survivor Returns Steady, Chicago P.D. Hits High, Arrow Dips, Mixology Opens Low

Hot Girl With a GrudgeNot many bellied up to the bar to imbibe in ABC’s Mixology.

The freshman sitcom — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “C” — premiered on Wednesday to 5.2 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating (per finals), well below the launches of time slot predecessors such as Super Fun Night (8.2 mil/3.2), How to Live With Your Parents… (8.4 mil/2.9), The Neighbors (9.2 mil/3.2) and Happy Endings (7.3 mil/2.8) and delivering the worst retention out of Modern Family (58 percent) since The Neighbors.

And mind you, Modern Family was the night’s highest-rated program, with a 3.1.

Wednesday’s other premiere, Survivor: BvsBvsB, drew 9.8 mil and a 2.4, on par with its year-ago opener (9 mil/2.4) and down just a bit in the demo from its fall launch (9.7 mil/2.6).

One more headline for now: Chicago P.D. surged 29 percent from its last fresh episode to score a season high 2.2 demo rating, while rising 33 percent in audience to 8 mil. Opening NBC’s night, Revolution (4.6 mil/1.3) dropped a few viewers while steady in the demo, and SVU (7.7 mil/2.0) rose 24 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere….

ABC | The Middle (7.1 mil/1.7) was down 17 percent, while Suburgatory (5.3 mil/1.4) and Modern Family (8.6 mil/3.1) both slipped about 11 percent. Nashville (4.7 mil/1.9) dipped 10 percent but was steady in the demo.

RELATED | Kim Roots’ Nashville Recap: OK, You Can Go Ahead and Put Dirt on My Grave Now

CBS | Airing at a special time, Criminal Minds (9.5 mil/2.4) dipped 5 percent and fell three tenths.

FOX | American Idol (10.6 mil/2.7) added some eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s American Idol Top 13 Recap: Beautiful? Disaster?

THE CW | Arrow (2.5 mil/0.9) ticked down a tenth, but Tomorrow People (1.5 mil/0.5) was steady.

Comments (50)

• Mixology was on last night? Huh. I hadn’t heard anything.

Comment by xav – February 27, 2014 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is ANYONE surprised that “Mixology” bombed? A horrible title, a horrible marketing campaign that made the show and characters vapid and shallow and a horrible SHOW with vapid and shallow characters. Repetitive? Maybe. But true? Yes.

ABC really shot itself in the foot by leaving its now-destined-for-cancellation “Trophy Wife” on Tuesdays to slowly die in the ratings while continuing to put lesser show after lesser show in the prime post “Modern Family” slot. Perhaps they thought that if every commenter online said something, it couldn’t possibly be true.

Comment by SUSO – February 27, 2014 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It still galls me that they didn’t move Trophy Wife after Modern Family.

Comment by Christina – February 27, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus, if you believe lead in theories, this poorly programmed slot killing Nashville. They are routinely one of the higher DVR’d shows.

Comment by Boiler – February 27, 2014 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order: SVU and Chicago PD had a cross over event last evening – It wasn’t so much as a cross from Chicago PD into SUV but more of one with SUV crashing the party at Chicago PD. Lindsay pops into SVU in the last segment, Benson gives her a compliment from Voigt and end credits. It was a one sided cross-over, one I am not sure actually gave either show anything except for more viewers because of the “promised” crossover.

Comment by H.Houston – February 27, 2014 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling that the surge in Chicago PD was due to the cross over, though again it probably didn’t have much effect on SVU.

Comment by Jake – February 27, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I constantly spent my half an hour to read this web site’s articles everyday along with a mug of coffee.

Comment by Elias – February 27, 2014 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah Mr Lee continues to kill ABC. Gives support to lousy shows and won’t support potentially good ones.

Comment by Boiler – February 27, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will ABC ever find a show to succeed after Modern Family??? They should have left Happy Endings!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – February 27, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given the affect on ratings, the networks must be glad the Olympics only occur every four years

Comment by cuius – February 27, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every 2 years

Comment by Robert – February 27, 2014 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, but programming is really only affected every 4 years. There’s not enough new programming in the summer to make it a factor.

Comment by Katherine215 – February 27, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Excellent Point, thanks

Comment by Robert – February 27, 2014 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well that depends on when they start, Bejing started the first week in August and some shows get an early start. I believe the summer games last longer as well, so that could make the network push a new show premiere back.

Comment by Beth – February 27, 2014 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago PD was great last night. Didn’t even bother to watch the SVU part because I knew the “cross-over” was only going to be a snippet at the end. Not really a cross-over if you ask me. Survivor was good, should be an interesting season with all new players…YAY no returnees!!!! Sad to see those ratings for Revolution. It’s really stepped up it’s game this season but NBC killed it with that time slot.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 27, 2014 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not agree more on the above (apart from Survivor which I don’t watch).

Comment by Lisa London – February 27, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I have to give it up to the Chicago PD team—I didnt think a major network (or one that USED to be a major network, LOL) would have the guts to put something that dark and violent in late primetime anymore.

Its not quite on the level of Vic Mackey style “unshackled cop squad” (YET!), but when Voight took the pervert into the cage and went after his ears, I couldnt help cheering that we finally have another cop show willing to possibly alienate a good portion of the audience for risky, exciting writing. IIRC, even Shawn Ryan’s own enjoyable “Chicago Code” wasn’t this intense.

Really liking this show so far.

Comment by Pat D. – February 28, 2014 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t watch Mixology but my 70-year-old mother accidentally did while waiting for her Nashville to start. Her comment, sad and disgusted, but mostly sad: “This show is terrible. Is that the way people talk to each other now?” I assured her that people only talk like that in terrible TV-land.

Comment by Ellen – February 27, 2014 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville was fantastic last night. I really hope ABC gives it a third season.

Comment by Ava – February 27, 2014 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say this every week (sorry), but I wish people were watching Revolution! It’s so good this season, and I’m so afraid it’s going to get cancelled with those ratings. My hope is they’ll move it to Friday with Grimm and let it go 4 seasons to get to syndication. The story lines are interesting and it’s chock full of dry humor.

Comment by Katherine215 – February 27, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am afraid because of its success NBC will move the Blacklist away from the Monday night time slot. I know it already has a renewal for next year, but if it tanks in year 2 we wont see a 3rd season

Comment by Robert – February 27, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah it is so much better this year, hopefully they won’t cancel it as they haven’t got much else, but chances aren’t great.

Comment by Pat – February 27, 2014 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Fam was down because people like me were lead to believe that we had to watch SVU as it was a crossover with Chicago PD but I did not see Lindsay in SVU at al! Waste of my time!

Comment by sarah – February 27, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you in Canada? I’m pretty sure CTV cut out Sophia Bush’s scene as I didn’t see it on the live airing either and had to find it online. Maybe because Chicago PD isn’t a CTV show? I don’t know, it was still dumb.

Comment by dude – February 27, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mixology – so very, very bad.

Comment by Ann VerWiebe – February 27, 2014 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds suffered because it was a pointless 2 hour premiere of Survivor. Was an extra hour of people who shouldn’t be wearing bikinis necessary?

Comment by Gina M (@BukaFanfiction) – February 27, 2014 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, my thoughts exactly. No doubt the time change threw people off. Hell, I remembered to watch “Criminal Minds” at the new time and the change was weird for me!

Comment by Angela – February 27, 2014 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 27, 2014 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just don’t understand why so many people are still watching Survivor. After all these years, it’s basically the same crap using different faces.

Comment by HAP – February 27, 2014 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes and CM is so different from week to week

Comment by bk – February 27, 2014 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds probably dipped because it aired an hour later than it’s normal time. Also, I agree with everyone else here that Chicago PD went up because of the “crossover” with SVU.

Comment by Jillian – February 27, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • College basketball aired in my part of the country last night from 8 until 10:30ish (went into overtime), on the CBS affiliate, which will effect the final ratings for Survivor and Criminal Minds (which means that those folks who DVR’d CM will miss more than half the show due to the over run). But bumping CM back an hour probably hurt (although for me it meant getting to watch “live” Psych – wish it wasn’t ending).

Comment by Claudia – February 27, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here in Canada, CTV dropped The Tomorrow People, to their other network, CTVTwo, so they could air Mixology and Super Fun Night. That was real smart of them. I could have predicted Mixology wouldn’t do well and CTV was better off leaving The Tomorrow People right where it was.

If any Canadians wanted to watch Mixology, they could have on ABC.

Comment by robinepowell – February 27, 2014 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CTVTwo is only a few channels higher and as you said, both owned by the same company so what does it matter which channel it’s on? It’s not like they would have benefitted more keeping The Tomorrow People on CTV.

Comment by dude – February 27, 2014 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope ChicagoPD keeps it’s momentum going. It might have done even better against CSI. I love the cast on CPD, which IMO makes or breaks a procedural.
    My favorite show last night was Psych. It was a typical fun episode, but really delivered on an emotional level, and I will be so sad to see it go.

Comment by Anna – February 27, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chicago PD is more of a serial dram than a procedural drama in my opinion. I know that I for one am most interested in the story arcs with the characters than I am anything else, and that is because of the great acting and stories given to the characters.

Comment by Chase – February 27, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed. it is off to a very strong start, stronger than Chicago Fire was when it started. Great characters, solid stories so far.

Comment by Lisa London – February 27, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really like these characters. Last night the writers gave a little glimpse of the future with Erin and Jay. I also loved when they said Voight doesn’t come to this bar, long story!

Comment by Beth – February 27, 2014 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Mixology, as soon as I saw the British Barney Stind

Comment by Erin – February 27, 2014 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, posted too early. As soon as I saw the British Barney Stinson on the commercial shaming the woman for only having two sex partners I was out.

Comment by Erin – February 27, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Modern Family which I really like but did not even think about giving this new show a look see. Glad I was right about it, because of all the reviews it is getting and it sure isn’t pretty, I predict it will be canceled fairly soon. They will probably allow a couple of more shows and when they realize that the viewership is just not there, Mixology will be a faded memory.

Comment by Pat – February 27, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of Felicity, whoever missed this episode missed a good one, and probably one of the BEST weekly villains this show has seen yet — that’s my opinion, but I LOVE the creep factor of Knepper’s voice calling on Felicity in her “hidey hole.” Great stuff!

Loved Emily — she did an outstanding job in showing Felicity’s insecurities and self doubt. I also loved that they made it about her and not petty jealousy. This makes me think I’m watching a mature adult show that knows how relationships and friendships can be above all of that like Felicity portrayed. But then they make me seriously question WHAT show I’m watching when they put off good development stories of Roy or Thea, or even more of Felicity and the CK and instead give us more of the Lance sister entanglement. I don’t care how you look at it, it just isn’t pretty, and it makes the shows lead character look completely unappealing. He calls Laurel about not coming to the party because she’s HER SISTER — REALLY OLIVER? — HE’S an IDIOT.

And then there is Sara who I started out liking when she first appeared, but I left this episode not so sure about her. What was with the jacket comment to Felicity? Was that necessary? What purpose did it serve other than to make her look rather unappealing? Maybe SHE was jealous because if we play the PEOPLE Magazine game of who looked better in what, Felicity wins HANDS DOWN! LOL Combine that comment with taking Oliver with her to the dinner? Ummm, yeah not her best move. Both of them really — this whole thing is a joke, a very sad one.

So at the end of the day Oliver and Laurel are officially OVER, so one half of this horrible storyline ENDS (now lets kick the other one out as soon as possible), the F/O story is sidelined for the moment so the O/S stuff can be taken care of, and quite frankly I am alright with that. For all the hullabaloo over “Olicity coming to an end”, I don’t think it is, these to characters have some great chemistry and are building a solid foundation — good grief, it’s the HEALTHIEST relationship Oliver has with ANY FEMALE on the show. But regardless, they need to grow and do so APART. And Lord knows, I do NOT want Felicity anywhere near that guy right now.

So getting back to Felicity, did I mention she ROCKED? She was great! Maybe Felicity and Diggle (he is the man—enough said!) can take over the show so we can start getting back to some awesome James Bamford action and leave Oliver and Sara tied up somewhere in the foundry.

Comment by Claire – February 27, 2014 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That. ALL of that.

Comment by Lisa London – February 27, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I liked Mixology. I watched it cause its on at 7:30 here in Canada when nothing else is on. It’s not a great series but it was mildly funny and I think Vanessa Lengies is delightful. I did love the cold harsh truth bomb of “Every girl wants to date a nice guy…they just also want to date a man.”

Comment by dude – February 27, 2014 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With those ratings I think Nashville shouldn’t get a third season and this is coming from someone who watches the show

Comment by Fernando – February 27, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not that it matters much but routinely one of highest DVR’d shows

Comment by Boiler – February 27, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best arrow ep thus far. LOVE Sara, tired of Laurel, Felicity, ok, feeling left out but geeks always do. and that ending…

Comment by DiverKlein – February 27, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy for Chicago PD.. my new fave show!

Comment by Liza – February 27, 2014 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS WILL NEVER CANCEL SURVIVOR NCIS CSI OR BIG BANG THEORY. SURVIVOR AND CSI ARE 14 YEARS TOO TOO OLD. NCIS AND 2HALF MEN ARE BOTH 11 YEARS TOO OLD. BIG BANG IS 7. CBS SHOWS ARE AGING AND SHEDDING VIEWERS YEAR TO YEAR AND NEW SHOWS ARE NOT BREAKOUT HITS. YET CBS HAS NO ALTERNATIVE HITS SO ITS FORCED TO RENEW GARBAGE LIKE CSI AND SURVIVOR; WHICH BOTH USED TO EACH DRAW UPWARDS OF 20 MILLION VIEWERS WEEKLY 10 YEARS AGO. SURVIVOR AND CSI NOW EACH AVERAGE 9 MILLION WEEKLY VIEWERS. NOT MUCH ADVERTISING PROFIT. ITS EASIER TO RENEW LOW RATED TRASH THAN CREATE NEW HITS. SURVIVOR IS CHEAP TO PRODUCE SINCE IT HAS NO STARS JUST WEIRDO HACKS EACH SEASON. CSI IS EXPENSIVE TO PRODUCE BUT DIFFICULT TO REPLACE. CBS HEDGED ITS BETS WITH 3 YEAR RENEWAL OF BIG BANG THEORY. STARS ARE CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED FOR 3 MORE YEARS WHILE 1 HOUR SHOWS LIKE NCIS ARE EXPENSIVE. BIG BANG IS ONLY HALF HOUR SO CHEAPER TO PRODUCE. CBS BUSINESS MODEL IS CREATE PROFITS FROM RENEWING STALE SERIES AND SPINOFFS WHILE NOT CREATING NEW HITS. MUCH LIKE NBC DID FOR 20 YEARS FROM 1984 TO 2004.FROM COSBY CHEERS SEINFELD FRIENDS ER WILL GRACE NBC REIGNED SUPREME IN RATINGS.NOW NBC IS IN TOILET. MUCH LIKE CBS WILL BE SOON.

Comment by GUSTAVO ALCALA – April 6, 2014 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post