Ratings: Voice Opener Dips But Boosts Blacklist, 3 CBS Sitcoms Fall, Following Slips to New Low

Ratings The BlacklistNBC’s The Voice opened Season 6 with 15.7 million total viewers and a 4.7 rating (per finals), dipping 8 percent in the demo from its Cycle 5 opener but up 15 percent and a tenth versus its year-ago premiere.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

The Blacklist in turn drew 11.3 mil and a 3.1 rating, up sharply from its last fresh, Voice-free outing and on par with its most recent performance leading out of the well-watched singing show (11.7 mil/3.2).

RELATED | The Voice Season 6 Premiere Recap: All the Singing Ladies (All the Singing Ladies)!

CBS’ sitcoms for the most part returned from their Winter Olympics-induced hiatus to a chilly reception. How I Met Your Mother, with 9.3 million viewers and a 3.6 rating, was only down 5 percent in the demo, but 2 Broke Girls (7.9 mil/2.5), Mike & Molly (8.1 mil/2.1) and Mom (7.2 mil/1.9) dropped 17, 22 and 21 percent in the demo, respectively. Intelligence (5.4 mil/1.2) shed some viewers but was steady in the demo.

ABC’s The Bachelor (8.1 mil/2.5) rose 5 percent and three tenths, while Castle (8.7 mil/1.7) gained 12 percent in audience but matched last week’s series-low demo.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Misconstrue Confessions

Fox’s Almost Human (5.7 mil/1.6) added some eyeballs but ticked down in the demo, while The Following (4.6/1.6) was down 12 percent and a tenth, hitting a new demo low.

The CW’s Star-Crossed (1.1 mil/0.3) was down 15 percent and a tenth from its debut.

Ratings for the season premiere of Dallas, which is what we call a “cable” series, won’t be in until much later, reported under separate cover.

Comments (40)

• I’m glad NBC learned something from last year with Revolution. They kept The Blacklist on without The Voice to test how it’d do.

Comment by Esaul – February 25, 2014 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a broken record but can someone of the 8 million people who watched the Bachelor say why. It is a waste of TV time as far as I’m concerned and at the expense of other good scripted shows

Comment by Boiler – February 25, 2014 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m honestly very surprised its ratings have stayed on par with previous seasons, especially considering his remarks about the homosexual community.

Comment by Eric7740 – February 25, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh thank God someone said it! I do not get it. I mean I’ve never really gotten the appeal (because nothing says true love like acting desperate and chasing someone who you know is also messing around with other people – and all on camera with hair, makeup & lighting) but this year I especially don’t get it. This guy has creepy jerk written all over him!

Comment by rumbleinthekitchen – February 25, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm.. That’s why people watch it. It’s funny to watch desperate women running towards the same man. Plus, JP might be creepy but he’s hot as hell and that accent… Also, he didn’t offend gay people so get over yourselves!

Comment by Dr. L – February 25, 2014 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes he did dummy! It was enough for ABC to condemn those remarks, yet bury it to make sure no one remembered them, and people are watching to see the women, not him. Plus, Juan Pablo is a creep. He makes my skin crawl. So don’t give us that “get over yourselves” crap. The Bachelor sucks! ABC prides itself on brainwashing women into watching garbage.

Comment by TV Lover – February 26, 2014 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Following is really entertaining this season, not that last season wasn’t, but this season has been much faster in the story telling. Hopefully when Bones returns, The Folllowing’s numbers will improve.

Comment by Eric7740 – February 25, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is really a strong season, the interactions are pretty strong and the introdution of Lily Gray was a nice move.

Comment by spindae2 – February 25, 2014 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This last episode was the best thus far.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 25, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was about done with The Following after last season, but on a lark decided to give this season a try. Greatly improved. Higher stakes, faster pace, better twists and turns. I’m back on board with this show.

Comment by DL – February 25, 2014 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, its kinda funny that one of the best episodes of the entire series (not saying a lot, I know) got such a low rating.

I disagree that this season has been better….it has been atrocious up until this week IMHO, falling into many of the pitfalls and implausibilities that made the majority of season 1 so laughable. But last night’s ep gave me hope—its almost like they hired a completely new team of writers for that episode. Here’s hoping they keep it up.

Comment by Pat D. – February 25, 2014 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones was moved to Friday…have you heard something new about it relocating to Mondays?

Comment by Lee – February 25, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Blacklist did so well!
    I am also happy that Intelligence is holding steady, I PVR’d it as Blacklist is my #1 as I am sure it is the same with others which is why is shed some eyeballs.

Comment by sarah – February 25, 2014 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know it’s not looking good for Intelligence, but I’m holding out hope it gets renewed. I’m really enjoying it, and I feel like the team is settling in nicely. I like the dynamic between Riley and Gabriel too. I hate so much that three of my favorite shows are on at the same time and hurting each others’ ratings! :(

Comment by Katherine215 – February 25, 2014 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Last night’s ep of Intelligence was really good. One of it’s best IMO. Riley and Gabriel are great together and last night I really enjoyed Chris Jameson (Michael Rady) getting some much deserved attention.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 25, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t actually know Jameson’s name until yesterday’s episode, and I’m glad they’ve filled in the background on the team a bit more. Like someone said below, I wish it was paired with something like NCIS or POI rather than against two strong shows. It never had a chance starting midseason either. Sigh.

Comment by Katherine215 – February 25, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t cancel Almost Human over awful The Following!

Comment by DavidSask – February 25, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see tons of ads for The Following and hardly nothing for Almost Human. Yet, Almost Human is right in the same area ratings wise with The Following. I hope they do not cancel the show.

Comment by Lena – February 25, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Same ratings and (not that it matters) Almost Human has more total viewers.

Comment by Elyse – February 25, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait was Almost Human new last night my TV had it as a repeat and it didn’t record the episode

Comment by Girl in MD – February 25, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s aired again on Saturday. Also, next Monday is the s1 finale.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 25, 2014 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Girl in MD – February 25, 2014 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Next Monday is the S1 finale?!?! ALREADY??

Comment by Elyse – February 25, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes. Fox did not order a back 9 for the series. Not ordering additional episodes is not a good sign for the show.

Comment by Luca – February 25, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Blacklist!!!

Comment by Luca – February 25, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Argh, again low ratings for Castle?
    Both episodes deserved so much more attention. Hopefully these bad numbers won’t be a trend.

Comment by M. – February 25, 2014 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, both last episodes deserved more, IMO! Well, the loss is for the ones who didn´t watch:) (again, just my opinion):)

Comment by Mary – February 25, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. But this Jan-Feb period has been uneven ratings wise for the past 4 yrs. So it’s not really about the quality of the episodes..

Comment by Rich Abey – February 25, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which is really too bad because some of my favorite eps aired during that time period and these last couple of episodes have just reinforced it for me because they were fantastic!

Comment by c-mo – February 25, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The big problem about Mon 10PM is that all three networks have very good shows on that are competing with each other for eyeballs. My PVR has only 2 tuners, so Castle and Blacklist get them, and I have to catch up with Intelligence online the next day. I think James Spader is just fantastic, and Castle is still quite funny (and I love Stana :) ). Intelligence started out very uneven, but its hitting its stride. I wonder why CBS put it in a tough spot like M 10PM when it could’ve done much better on another night, or even pair it with POI (which doesnt’ need the NCIS lead-in IMO) to keep it strong.

Comment by adg – February 25, 2014 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even though POI doesn’t need NCIS, the way they set it up is NCIS, NCIS:LA, then POI. The NCIS combo is one of the best one-two punches out there and they would not break them up. I think that the best thing to do with Intelligence would be to put it in Thursday at 9 or move it to Tuesday at 10 moving POI to Thursday at 9. The problem is that they have too many sitcoms which are taking up 8-10 on monday and thursday. I think that they should have an all-comedy monday and then just one hour of comedy on thursday. Just my two cents, though.

Comment by Michael Westen – February 25, 2014 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is happening with the castle ratings??? The last two episodes have been fantastic!

Comment by luli – February 25, 2014 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Bachelor and DwtS are faltering. Castle’s lead-ins used to be strong rating contenders but now they’re weak. As such Castle suffers along with them.

Comment by Badpenny – February 25, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not hurting so much in viewers but the dreaded demo again…. It does DVR real well too and there is competition in the time slot

Comment by Boiler – February 25, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone remember what Hart of Dixie did on it’s last fresh outing? I’m wondering how it is comparing to Star-Crossed? I’d hate to see HoD get cancelled, but I also hate hoping other shows do bad so it can stick around. I’d love to see HoD paired with Reign and see how it does, since they are more similar than most of the shows the CW is getting these days (i.e. Sci Fi-esque.)

Comment by Tamera – February 25, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s HIMYM outing (Rally) was a very solid episode, with [1] present wedding morning, [2] flashbacks and [3] flash forwards scenes all integrated into a really seamless episode.

HIMYM continues to hold the numbers very well as it heads towards the finale…

… Matt – just a check on the numbers – I believe HIMYM had a 9.3/3.3 in the prior Feb 3rd episode (Sunrise), and last night’s (Rally) was 9.3/3.6. You noted a drop in the demo of 5% from ‘Sunrise’; I’m assuming the ‘adusted [DVR+3] HIMYM demo numbers on ‘Sunrise’ bumped it up to 3.9 demo?

Comment by N tTVf – February 25, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooops, my miscalculation – actually, I think if the demo (for ‘Sunrise’) was bumped up to 3.78 [via DVR+3], then a 5% drop off that number would be 3.6 (for ‘Rally’). Maybe ‘Sunrise’ demo was indeed 3.78?

Comment by N tTVf – February 25, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post