Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 13?

Get More: Sports

Figure Skating - Winter Olympics Day 13The Iceberg Skating Palace erupted in cheers and an array of all things red and white, as Russia’s own Adelina Sotnikova skated her way to an Olympic upset Thursday, beating out a field that included South Korean favorite Yuna Kim and American hopefuls Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner.

RELATED Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 12?

The crowd clapped along to the music as hometown favorite Sotnikova, in a sparkly gray dress, flawlessly leaped into the air and delivered a near-perfect routine. The Russian swiftly spun like a top, seeming like she would never stop and making us feel like we were watching the end of Inception. She capped her performance with some celebratory tears right there on the ice.

The new champion dethroned Kim, the 2010 reigning ice queen, forcing the South Korean athlete to settle for the silver medal. Kim came out on top in the ladies’ short program and was expected to nab the gold again but despite a magnificent series of Lutzes, loops and Salchows (or in ice-skating-for-dummies terms, twists, turns and leaps), she could not repeat her gold-grabbing past.

RELATED Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 11?

Italy’s Carolina Kostner delivered an artistic and elegant performance, leading her to the third place spot and also giving Italy its first-ever figure skating medal.

Americans had to put on their best Wagner faces when the USA failed to make it onto the podium, with Gold falling into fourth place and Wagner dancing into seventh. Gold’s extremely high jumps were not enough for a medal, and Wagner’s glitzy, gold costume and intense facial expressions left her with a “not bad” (but not good enough) performance, as she said when her score was posted.

womens-hockey-us-lose-300Meanwhile, not far away, Canada’s national women’s hockey team looked like it was going to lose the gold medal to its American adversaries. The U.S. team had a 2-0 advantage until late in the game, when their neighbors to the north staged a comeback that forced the match into overtime.

Ultimately, Canadian forward Marie-Philip Poulin scored a goal that brought the final score to 3-2, bringing home the gold and dashing the Americans’ hopes for the medal that has eluded them for years.

What was your favorite moment from Thursday’s coverage of the games? Whose figure skating routine blew you away? Did you catch Maddie Bowman nab the gold in women’s skiing half pipe? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (31)

• Okay, I’ll say it: Canada pulling off what could be considered a ‘miraculous’ win against Team USA. I’m Canadian but I honestly thought that the victory would be theirs. I really did.

Comment by Mandie – February 20, 2014 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the US was going to win, so I wasn’t paying much attention but as soon as they tied it up, my office was glued to the screen to see them win.

Comment by fiona – February 20, 2014 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am Canadian too. The women’s hockey win by Canada was phenomenal.
    Also Jennifer Jones Team Canada’s curling team winning gold.

As for figure skating I thought that Yuna Kim’s long program was much better. The Russian stumbled. I was shocked her score was so high. It was something like the 2nd highest mark in history. Um no. She was good. But she is not as artistically fluid as many of the other top skaters.

Comment by Jen – February 20, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree the Russian routine didn’t do it for me but you knew the home country would get the 5 point advantage.

Comment by Diz – February 20, 2014 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite moment was the tribute to Sarah Burke. I most definitely cried during that. She is so very much missed.

Comment by Sara – February 20, 2014 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The hockey game was fantastic. Everyone at my gym was glued to the screen, cheering like mad Canucks when they pulled out that win. Considering how the game started, I was expecting us to lose this one. The gold in curling was fabulous too. Super proud of our female athletes today

Comment by Liz – February 20, 2014 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The day Canada doesn’t win in curling is the day Canada isn’t a country.

Comment by David4 – February 20, 2014 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The lowest a Canadian team has ever finished at the Olympics is 3rd.

Comment by Louise – February 21, 2014 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA women’s hockey team was a complete embarassment. They should not even be allowed to come home after that performance.

Comment by Diz – February 20, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Diz, You’re nuts.

Comment by Art – February 20, 2014 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agree, the USA team had a phenomenal defense and it looked like they could have won it a minute into overtime. They were a strong team and played a great game but the canadian team somehow pulled it out in the end. Theres a reason they are 4 time olympic gold medalists

Comment by B – February 21, 2014 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to say that I agree. Not in the game, which was just great playing by both teams, but in the medals ceremony. If my team, Canada, had acted that sour and disrespectful to the officials giving out the medals and flowers, I would have been embarrassed and so disappointed. There were only a few of the girls that actually smiled and behaved graciously. I’m sure there were a lot of teams that would have been thrilled with a silver. The bronze team were great examples of how to act. :)

Comment by Kim R – February 21, 2014 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know, I think that’s a bit harsh. They played really hard and I can’t really imagine how frustrating it must be to have to pretend to be pleased mere moments after a loss. They don’t even get the chance to go back to the locker room and complain/cry/let their emotions out before they are posing for photos and the like.

Comment by liz – February 21, 2014 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • winning a bronze medal game is different than losing a gold medal game. You can’t expect them not to be upset

Comment by jen – February 21, 2014 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, even the Canadian olympians were saying most athletes would rather win in the Bronze game than lose in the Gold game. Silver is great when you’re competing for medals individually but when Gold is in your grasp and you lose it in the last three minutes, you can’t expect them not to be upset. It would have been nice if they put on a better game face and at least pretended that it wasn’t killing them but they are entitled to their emotions.

Comment by dude – February 21, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just want to clarify that I was in no way suggesting that the teams didn’t play a fantastic game. It was stellar. And after watching the game today between our men’s teams it just illustrated my point. Good sportsmanship in the face of winning or losing. The US men didn’t get to win the silver but the way they acted was like night and day to the women’s team. Well done.

Comment by Kim R – February 21, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • thats more or less a difference between mens league and womens league. Unfortunately the olympics are pretty much the only time people actually care about womens hockey. The men have the nhl to go back to, there isn’t even a national women’s hockey league anymore. I’d say their difference in reactions reflect that

Comment by J – February 21, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sure a lot of the other teams would have been happy with a silver however theres a big discrepancy in womens hockey, the canadian and american team are just SO much better than the other competing countries. With rumors of the IOC thinking about taking womens hockey out of the olympics because of the uneven competition. As someone else mentioned the olympics are the one time people actually watch women’s hockey and the canadian vs american game is the one a lot of people wait for

Comment by M – February 21, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you clearly know nothing about hockey

Comment by misha – February 21, 2014 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am Canadian and very proud of the win. But come on the American team played amazing. It came down to tired inexperienced youth versus a core group of veterans not wanting to get embarrassed.

Hockey is Canada’s game (we created it and are the best at it)

You should be proud of your fellow Americans they played an amazing game but came up short.

Comment by cdeno – February 21, 2014 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were great. I’m Canadian and I still think the USA played the superior game. They owned it for most of the game. Their problem was that they got cocky and assumed the medal was theirs and that is when Canada came back. As much as I love our hockey teams, Canada got extremely lucky. They were not playing as good a game as the USA.

Comment by dude – February 21, 2014 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Canadian women’s team’s come-from-behind victory was one of the most amazing hockey feats I’ve seen in a long time.

Comment by Sean C. – February 20, 2014 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched it. I avoided all forms of media all day so I could watch the game when I got home. So great to see Canada win another gold. I really thought the Americans would win this one but our Canuck ladies kept plugging away.

I also watched the ladies’ figure skating. I think there’s gotta be a judging review coming up. Yuna Kim should have won.

Comment by Ally Oop – February 20, 2014 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a great day for Canada getting 2 gold. Both teams should be proud. It was certainly a shocker with Canada down 2 0 and just over 3 minutes to play. USA must have thought it was all over. It made me proud to be Canadian, Now if we can pull it off in Men’s hockey. Okays play like a bunch of girls

Comment by kmayne – February 21, 2014 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol yup, if they play like girls we’re sure to win

Comment by liz – February 21, 2014 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adelina’s win was great. she was so lovely. I liked the first 55 minutes of the women’s hockey game… Little Polina’s free skate was also divine.

Comment by betsy – February 21, 2014 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carolina Kostner’s performance, she looked like a fairy. Amazing.

Comment by Kavanaugh – February 21, 2014 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. I felt really bad for the Americans because they wanted this really bad and this has been the 4th Olympics in a row they didn’t get gold. It would be do difficult to keep my emotions in check after such a big loss. For female hockey players the Olympic Gold medal is like the Stanley Cup for the men.

Comment by Ally Oop – February 21, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The American women’s hockey team has nothing to be ashamed about. They played their hearts out and were plagued by lousy officiating and done in by a goal post.

Comment by woodmeister – February 22, 2014 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I thought & I can’t put my finger on as to why, this was about the worse winter olympics ever! I just never could get into it. I watched a good bit but I could have cared less who won. I never had favorites. I think that all the hype in the beginning reg. the danger of even being there must have clicked in with me & I just kept waiting for the hammer to fall!!!

Comment by Rhonda Summerlin – February 22, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like it whenever people get together and share ideas.
    Great website, stick with it!

Comment by http://www.observatoriodacultura.org/ – February 23, 2014 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post