Pilot Scoop: Supernatural Spin-Off Casts Duo (Including a Vampire Diaries Fan Fave)

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Supernatural Tribes CastSupernatural: Tribes is resurrecting The Vampire Diaries‘ Kol!

Nathaniel Buzolic, whose two-season run as the volatile Original ended last May, is joining The CW’s planted Supernatural spin-off as a series regular, TVLine has learned.

Additionally, Lucien Laviscount (Episodes, Skins) has also boarded the project as one of the leads.

RELATED | Supernatural: Tribes: Meet the Key Players

Tribes is being described as a sweeping drama about the various mafia-esque monster families that unknowingly-to-humans “run” the underbelly of Chicago and who are being tracked by a newly-minted Hunter who’s trying to stop them and rid Chicago of anything or anyone supernatural.

Buzolic will play David Hayden, a shapeshifter from one of the ruling monster families who’s been living as a human, having given up the monster life years ago.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Laviscount, meanwhile, will portray Ennis Roth, a resolute police academy trainee whose fiancée is killed in the crossfire of the monster war. The tragedy leads him to the truth about what lurks in the shadows and becomes a monster-hunter himself. (He’s the “newly-minted Hunter” referenced in the above logline.)

Both characters will appear in this season’s 20th episode of Supernatural — aka Tribes’ de-facto pilot — airing April 29.

Comments (66)

• I am liking the casting choices here. I had my reservations but now think this may be a show I need to check out.

Comment by Kara – February 20, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The casting is good, and Sam and Dean are guest star for Tribes, but what about CASS!! He is a AWOSOME character too.

Comment by Daisy – February 24, 2014 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, shocked about Lucien, I live in the same town he grew up, fun fact! – but I’ve never seen him as a good actor.

Comment by Kaycee – February 20, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… The proof will be in the pudding….

Comment by shuayb – February 20, 2014 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we do a slow clap for the CW casting most of their pilots with at least one person of color.

Comment by Mick – February 20, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Clap*

Comment by Win – February 20, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely. *clap*

Comment by Lena – February 20, 2014 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And CW pays price for that in means of not getting any awards from inside the entertainment industry, they only get awards that are voted by general public. They have open casting call (irrespective of race).All the inside people knows it but no one in saying it out loud.

Comment by Kalpita – February 20, 2014 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it has absolutely nothing to do with the material or the performances. must be industry payback for casting people if color in a few roles.

Comment by aar – February 21, 2014 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • PLEASE Tell me this comment you did here was being Sarcastic, in a reply back to the comment from “Kalpita!” above?? Other wise, if not, wow, I feel bad for you as a human being, being of such ignorant mind, and Bigotry!! Must say I am a bit Ashamed to be a member of the same (human) Race as you!!! Pathetic!!!

Comment by Lauren – March 22, 2014 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t be ridiculous. The CW is a haven for many beautiful people who do merely serviceable jobs at acting. It has nothing to do with the color of skin. You’ve taken your racism to another level entirely.

Comment by Michael Angelo – February 22, 2014 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Nathaniel Buzolic! I really wish his character had become a regular on The Originals.

Comment by alistaircrane – February 20, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Kol.

Comment by Gerald – February 20, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him!
    Can’t wait to see Nathaniel Buzolic and Nick Roux on PLL too!

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally some CW casting scoop. I like Nathaniel but I never watched SPN, I will tune into Tribes if they continue with the good casting choices.

Comment by spindae2 – February 20, 2014 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see the casting of Nathaniel. But surely can’t be a good thing that even as a Brit,the only thing I know Lucien for is Celebrity Big Brother. Lol

Comment by Katie T – February 20, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doesn’t mean he is not capable of doing a great job in his role.

Comment by Lena – February 20, 2014 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No it doesn’t. If anything it’s probably an indication that he may have improved his acting somehow. I’m hoping that’s the case anyway as it would be bizarre if he’s gone from playing relatively small parts in British shows and being known for cbb to getting cast in a spin off of a major US show

Comment by Katie T – February 21, 2014 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the concept behind Tribes, that there a number of monster families. I also like the absence of demons. I could never get into Supernatural but I will check this one out. But they need a new title. For the longest time, when I saw the name in a headline, I didn’t read the article because I thought it was another Survivor-style reality show.

Comment by Maryann – February 20, 2014 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they were trying to be like the spinoffs of CSI and NCIS which makes it even worse a title.

Comment by Ally Oop – February 20, 2014 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it’s demon-free. That’s why I avoided Supernatural. My guess is it probably is, since Nate is a very Christian man, and he probably wouldn’t be involved in a project that had a strong demonic/hellish spin to it. Just a guess.

Comment by Sarahliz – February 20, 2014 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re an idiot. He’s an actor and I doubt any right minded actor would turn down a role like this because of his religion. It’s not as if they glorify demons on Supernatural.

Comment by Skeptic – March 6, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kirk Cameron would. But then again you said right mind.

Comment by Dj – March 6, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was an Original Vampire in The Vampire Diaries. Nuff said.

Comment by sarcasticsalvatore – March 9, 2014 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Vampires on the Vampire Diaries are very very different from demons. For one, the vampires on TVD are not like the vampires on Buffy. They don’t lose their souls and become demons. Plus, Vampires are fictional. If you’re Christian, generally, you believe that demons are real. That’s all I’m saying. Christians tend to believe its dangerous to mess with that stuff. Although every Christian is different, Nate has been very outspoken about his Christianity. It would surprise me greatly for him to be involved in a project that had to do with demonic forces. Actors DO choose roles based on their moral fibers, they don’t just take any role that comes along. At least not if there might be something they find morally questionable involved in it.

Comment by Sarahliz – March 9, 2014 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad the CW was smart to snag Nate because Julie Plec made the worst decision EVER not to have him on The Originals when he was one of the actual Originals. Instead The Originals revolves around Hayley.

Comment by Maya – February 20, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well he couldn’t be on The Originals since he was killed off before the spin-off was in the works (or it could have been already; not entirely sure on that). But yeah, I enjoyed him and wish she didnt kill him off. I actually think they’ve done a good job on The Originals, as far as NOT making it all about Hayley. It sounds like it on the surface but I don’t see really see it being played out that way. To each their own though :)

Comment by Francine – February 20, 2014 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just rewatched the whole thing of the Originals, and Hayley is barely in it. I don’t get how people think it’s all about her. Her storyline isn’t even top 2.

Comment by Sarahliz – February 20, 2014 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never got into Supernatural but I loved Nathaniel as Kol on TVD. Now I think im gonna have to check this spinoff out.

Comment by Jared – February 20, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW always has one person of color and that person of color has to be half white too. all the 5 new shows have only person person with a bit of dark skin. It is ” Be asian , but not too yellow” , be black ” but not too black” , Be latino ” but make sure you look nothing like it “.

Comment by El Gato – February 20, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The upcoming The 100 has at least four people of color in the main cast: Kelly Hu, Isaiah Washington, Eli Goree, and Christopher Larkin. And I would say Isiah Washington has very dark skin.

Comment by Midnight – February 20, 2014 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maggie Q who was the lead in Nikita is of Vietnamese descent.

Comment by James – February 20, 2014 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maggie Q is half caucasian , yes and clearly she looks like it .

Kelly Hu is half caucasian also , no wait she is in fact 3/4 caucasian .

Isaiah is the only actual black person with the smallest role as the caucasian girl’s Bestie.He is invisible .

Please try again , next time.

Comment by El Gato – February 21, 2014 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arrow’s David Ramsey is black and The Flash has two black actors in its main cast so please..

Comment by Mi – February 21, 2014 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David Ramsey looks mixed to me, likely half caucasian.

Comment by Metro – February 22, 2014 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show would be a lot better if it was NOT a spinoff of Supernatural. I like the premise, but I really don’t see how all the angel mythology and other stuff Supernatural’s done since it jumped the shark can mesh with this plot. Maybe if it was a spinoff of Supernatural’s early seasons, but now I don’t see how it’d make any sense.

Comment by Mmm – February 20, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I don’t even think it is a spin off of the earlier seasons of supernatural because in the early seasons all monsters were bad and needed to be killed. It for sure is not a spin off of the later seasons because like you said, it has nothing to do with heaven/hell/angel mythology. I have seen every episode of Supernatural from the beginning and will not be tuning into this so called spin off.

Comment by Alecia – February 20, 2014 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The way I look at it, it’s really not jumping the shark if you never come back down.

Comment by Dj – February 20, 2014 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those are very nice looking men. I have to admit, I originally watched SPN when it first aired because all the ads showed nice looking men. Thankfully it also ended up being a damn good show!

Comment by Brooke – February 20, 2014 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So does this squash any hope that Kol will make an appearance in The Originals (or any other family members for that much)?

Comment by Ram510 – February 20, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Ennis a minor character? Just wondering because of the small picture. I’m very happy about Nate. I will check this show out. ;)

Comment by Lena – February 20, 2014 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just realized my mistake. Didn’t read the whole article until now. lol So Ennis is a lead character. Hmmm…

Comment by Lena – February 20, 2014 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this remind anyone else of Kindred the Embraced? C. Thomas Howell as a human cop who finds out that the city is secretly ruled by vampire clans, and even his partner is a vampire.

Comment by Kate M. – February 20, 2014 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that is immendiantly what I thought of!! I miss that show

Comment by Michelle s – February 20, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really hope they’ll film Tribes in Chicago, instead of Canada like they do with SPN. I know Vancouver gives awesome tax credits but it would be really authentic if they filmed in Chicago.

Comment by Kevin H. – February 20, 2014 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not that sure many of the viewers know or even care about authentic chicago scenery.xD But sure, why not.

Comment by Katja – February 20, 2014 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Having lived in Chicago, I would sure care.

Comment by Brooke – February 20, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here I am, hoping against hope that if the show gets picked up, they change the awful title.

Comment by Joey – February 20, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of doubt anything will ever live up to Supernatural, but I’ll give it a go, since Nathaniel is in it and Kripke will be involved.

Comment by Katja – February 20, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeremy Carver did a very good job playing the politics of the vampire underworld on Being Human (US) so I have hope that this won’t feel as plastic as The Originals.

Comment by Drew – February 20, 2014 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Buzolic will keep his accent the way he did on TVD…

Comment by Bella – February 20, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wasn’t he faking a Brit accent? he’s australian

Comment by woodyinho – February 20, 2014 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on aboutnici.

Comment by aboutnici – February 20, 2014 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they say not to judge beforehand, but I’ve never enjoyed any of Lucien Laviscount’s work.

Comment by MM9 – February 20, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like this will taint Supernatural’s legacy :(

Comment by Ella – February 20, 2014 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just not feeling it. If they really wanted to do the whole monsters running the mafia thing they should have just set it in the past and have Elliot Ness be the star. That I would watch.

Comment by Dj – February 20, 2014 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They just dont look like they would fit the role..I guess I am just 2 hooked on Dean and Sammy.

Comment by Vikki Murrell – February 20, 2014 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of Supernatural and have watched it from the first episode on. While this spin off
    does seem more like a spin of from the first few seasons more then the current one, I am looking forward to it. The growth in SPN (including eventually showing not all monsters are bad) I hope bleeds over into the spinoff. I commend CW for having lead characters of different races in their shows. My only problem with them is that in most of their shows that have a supernatural/paranormal/sci fi premise is that the main characters are always teens or twenty something’s. Fans of these genre’s come in all ages.

Comment by Dorie Ann Pope – February 20, 2014 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Fans like to be able to identify with characters. Would be nice to see someone older as a main character once in a while in these types of shows*

Comment by Dorie Ann Pope – February 20, 2014 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is a fine line. They have monsters as main characters, but if they make the monsters too sympathetic they could end up making Sam and Dean look wrong all this time.
      I hope that it is like The Chicago Code in that they have monsters as main characters but they’re still monsters.

Comment by Drew – February 21, 2014 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Supernatural has shown monsters to be sympathetic before and that they all aren’t evil. So I don’t see that being a problem.

Comment by Dj – February 21, 2014 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They’ve never been series regulars before. That is where the danger comes in, I think. It isn’t a definite bad thing, but it is a risk.

Comment by Drew – February 21, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never was a fan of Supernatural but I’ll definitely try this one out if it gets picked up.

Comment by Marcinho11 – February 21, 2014 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I been a fan of supernatural since day one no TV show be better than them if this other show looks dum its is drum

Comment by natk – February 27, 2014 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post