Pilot Scoop: Supernatural Spin-Off Casts Duo (Including a Vampire Diaries Fan Fave)

Supernatural Tribes CastSupernatural: Tribes is resurrecting The Vampire Diaries‘ Kol!

Nathaniel Buzolic, whose two-season run as the volatile Original ended last May, is joining The CW’s planted Supernatural spin-off as a series regular, TVLine has learned.

Additionally, Lucien Laviscount (Episodes, Skins) has also boarded the project as one of the leads.

RELATED | Supernatural: Tribes: Meet the Key Players

Tribes is being described as a sweeping drama about the various mafia-esque monster families that unknowingly-to-humans “run” the underbelly of Chicago and who are being tracked by a newly-minted Hunter who’s trying to stop them and rid Chicago of anything or anyone supernatural.

Buzolic will play David Hayden, a shapeshifter from one of the ruling monster families who’s been living as a human, having given up the monster life years ago.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Laviscount, meanwhile, will portray Ennis Roth, a resolute police academy trainee whose fiancée is killed in the crossfire of the monster war. The tragedy leads him to the truth about what lurks in the shadows and becomes a monster-hunter himself. (He’s the “newly-minted Hunter” referenced in the above logline.)

Both characters will appear in this season’s 20th episode of Supernatural — aka Tribes’ de-facto pilot — airing April 29.

1. Kara says:

I am liking the casting choices here. I had my reservations but now think this may be a show I need to check out.

• Daisy says:

The casting is good, and Sam and Dean are guest star for Tribes, but what about CASS!! He is a AWOSOME character too.

• Lana says:

I’m loving this spinoff of my favorite Supernatural. I Love Sam and Dean’s characters but I’m really liking this new guy Lucien Laviscount. He’s really handsome and can really act, I really felt his emotions throughout the show not to mention he’s gorgeous. I don’t think it will replace Supernatural (Jensen) but I along with my friends will be watching. I also like Nathaniel on Vampire diaries and think he will be good for the spinoff also. Can’t say I felt the love connection btw him and the werewolf girl but will wait and see. Can’t wait!

2. Kaycee says:

Wow, shocked about Lucien, I live in the same town he grew up, fun fact! – but I’ve never seen him as a good actor.

• Paige says:

Wow you have to be excited to come from a town with such a hot guy. I watched supernatural tonight and was amazed by him. Luving the Brit! Eye candy is always a plus which is why I love Supernatural.

3. shuayb says:

Well… The proof will be in the pudding….

4. Mick says:

Can we do a slow clap for the CW casting most of their pilots with at least one person of color.

• Lena says:

Definitely. *clap*

• Kalpita says:

And CW pays price for that in means of not getting any awards from inside the entertainment industry, they only get awards that are voted by general public. They have open casting call (irrespective of race).All the inside people knows it but no one in saying it out loud.

• aar says:

it has absolutely nothing to do with the material or the performances. must be industry payback for casting people if color in a few roles.

• Lauren says:

PLEASE Tell me this comment you did here was being Sarcastic, in a reply back to the comment from “Kalpita!” above?? Other wise, if not, wow, I feel bad for you as a human being, being of such ignorant mind, and Bigotry!! Must say I am a bit Ashamed to be a member of the same (human) Race as you!!! Pathetic!!!

• Don’t be ridiculous. The CW is a haven for many beautiful people who do merely serviceable jobs at acting. It has nothing to do with the color of skin. You’ve taken your racism to another level entirely.

5. alistaircrane says:

I love Nathaniel Buzolic! I really wish his character had become a regular on The Originals.

6. Gerald says:

Yay Kol.

7. Elyse says:

Love him!
    Can’t wait to see Nathaniel Buzolic and Nick Roux on PLL too!

8. spindae2 says:

Finally some CW casting scoop. I like Nathaniel but I never watched SPN, I will tune into Tribes if they continue with the good casting choices.

9. Katie T says:

Good to see the casting of Nathaniel. But surely can’t be a good thing that even as a Brit,the only thing I know Lucien for is Celebrity Big Brother. Lol

• Lena says:

Doesn’t mean he is not capable of doing a great job in his role.

• Katie T says:

No it doesn’t. If anything it’s probably an indication that he may have improved his acting somehow. I’m hoping that’s the case anyway as it would be bizarre if he’s gone from playing relatively small parts in British shows and being known for cbb to getting cast in a spin off of a major US show

10. Maryann says:

I like the concept behind Tribes, that there a number of monster families. I also like the absence of demons. I could never get into Supernatural but I will check this one out. But they need a new title. For the longest time, when I saw the name in a headline, I didn’t read the article because I thought it was another Survivor-style reality show.

• Ally Oop says:

I think they were trying to be like the spinoffs of CSI and NCIS which makes it even worse a title.

• Sarahliz says:

I hope it’s demon-free. That’s why I avoided Supernatural. My guess is it probably is, since Nate is a very Christian man, and he probably wouldn’t be involved in a project that had a strong demonic/hellish spin to it. Just a guess.

• Skeptic says:

You’re an idiot. He’s an actor and I doubt any right minded actor would turn down a role like this because of his religion. It’s not as if they glorify demons on Supernatural.

• He was an Original Vampire in The Vampire Diaries. Nuff said.

• Sarahliz says:

The Vampires on the Vampire Diaries are very very different from demons. For one, the vampires on TVD are not like the vampires on Buffy. They don’t lose their souls and become demons. Plus, Vampires are fictional. If you’re Christian, generally, you believe that demons are real. That’s all I’m saying. Christians tend to believe its dangerous to mess with that stuff. Although every Christian is different, Nate has been very outspoken about his Christianity. It would surprise me greatly for him to be involved in a project that had to do with demonic forces. Actors DO choose roles based on their moral fibers, they don’t just take any role that comes along. At least not if there might be something they find morally questionable involved in it.

11. Maya says:

So glad the CW was smart to snag Nate because Julie Plec made the worst decision EVER not to have him on The Originals when he was one of the actual Originals. Instead The Originals revolves around Hayley.

• Francine says:

Well he couldn’t be on The Originals since he was killed off before the spin-off was in the works (or it could have been already; not entirely sure on that). But yeah, I enjoyed him and wish she didnt kill him off. I actually think they’ve done a good job on The Originals, as far as NOT making it all about Hayley. It sounds like it on the surface but I don’t see really see it being played out that way. To each their own though :)

• Sarahliz says:

I just rewatched the whole thing of the Originals, and Hayley is barely in it. I don’t get how people think it’s all about her. Her storyline isn’t even top 2.

12. Jared says:

I never got into Supernatural but I loved Nathaniel as Kol on TVD. Now I think im gonna have to check this spinoff out.

13. El Gato says:

The CW always has one person of color and that person of color has to be half white too. all the 5 new shows have only person person with a bit of dark skin. It is ” Be asian , but not too yellow” , be black ” but not too black” , Be latino ” but make sure you look nothing like it “.

• Midnight says:

The upcoming The 100 has at least four people of color in the main cast: Kelly Hu, Isaiah Washington, Eli Goree, and Christopher Larkin. And I would say Isiah Washington has very dark skin.

• James says:

Maggie Q who was the lead in Nikita is of Vietnamese descent.

• El Gato says:

Maggie Q is half caucasian , yes and clearly she looks like it .

Kelly Hu is half caucasian also , no wait she is in fact 3/4 caucasian .

Isaiah is the only actual black person with the smallest role as the caucasian girl’s Bestie.He is invisible .

Please try again , next time.

• Mi says:

Arrow’s David Ramsey is black and The Flash has two black actors in its main cast so please..

14. Mmm says:

This show would be a lot better if it was NOT a spinoff of Supernatural. I like the premise, but I really don’t see how all the angel mythology and other stuff Supernatural’s done since it jumped the shark can mesh with this plot. Maybe if it was a spinoff of Supernatural’s early seasons, but now I don’t see how it’d make any sense.

• Alecia says:

I totally agree! I don’t even think it is a spin off of the earlier seasons of supernatural because in the early seasons all monsters were bad and needed to be killed. It for sure is not a spin off of the later seasons because like you said, it has nothing to do with heaven/hell/angel mythology. I have seen every episode of Supernatural from the beginning and will not be tuning into this so called spin off.

• Dj says:

The way I look at it, it’s really not jumping the shark if you never come back down.

15. Brooke says:

Those are very nice looking men. I have to admit, I originally watched SPN when it first aired because all the ads showed nice looking men. Thankfully it also ended up being a damn good show!

16. Ram510 says:

So does this squash any hope that Kol will make an appearance in The Originals (or any other family members for that much)?

17. Lena says:

Is Ennis a minor character? Just wondering because of the small picture. I’m very happy about Nate. I will check this show out. ;)

18. Kate M. says:

Does this remind anyone else of Kindred the Embraced? C. Thomas Howell as a human cop who finds out that the city is secretly ruled by vampire clans, and even his partner is a vampire.

19. Kevin H. says:

I really, really hope they’ll film Tribes in Chicago, instead of Canada like they do with SPN. I know Vancouver gives awesome tax credits but it would be really authentic if they filmed in Chicago.

20. Joey says:

Here I am, hoping against hope that if the show gets picked up, they change the awful title.

21. Katja says:

I kind of doubt anything will ever live up to Supernatural, but I’ll give it a go, since Nathaniel is in it and Kripke will be involved.

• Drew says:

Jeremy Carver did a very good job playing the politics of the vampire underworld on Being Human (US) so I have hope that this won’t feel as plastic as The Originals.

22. Bella says:

I wonder if Buzolic will keep his accent the way he did on TVD…

23. MM9 says:

I know they say not to judge beforehand, but I’ve never enjoyed any of Lucien Laviscount’s work.

24. Ella says:

I feel like this will taint Supernatural’s legacy :(

25. Dj says:

I’m just not feeling it. If they really wanted to do the whole monsters running the mafia thing they should have just set it in the past and have Elliot Ness be the star. That I would watch.

26. They just dont look like they would fit the role..I guess I am just 2 hooked on Dean and Sammy.

27. I’m a fan of Supernatural and have watched it from the first episode on. While this spin off
    does seem more like a spin of from the first few seasons more then the current one, I am looking forward to it. The growth in SPN (including eventually showing not all monsters are bad) I hope bleeds over into the spinoff. I commend CW for having lead characters of different races in their shows. My only problem with them is that in most of their shows that have a supernatural/paranormal/sci fi premise is that the main characters are always teens or twenty something’s. Fans of these genre’s come in all ages.

• *Fans like to be able to identify with characters. Would be nice to see someone older as a main character once in a while in these types of shows*

• Drew says:

It is a fine line. They have monsters as main characters, but if they make the monsters too sympathetic they could end up making Sam and Dean look wrong all this time.
      I hope that it is like The Chicago Code in that they have monsters as main characters but they’re still monsters.

• Dj says:

Supernatural has shown monsters to be sympathetic before and that they all aren’t evil. So I don’t see that being a problem.

• Drew says:

They’ve never been series regulars before. That is where the danger comes in, I think. It isn’t a definite bad thing, but it is a risk.

28. Marcinho11 says:

Never was a fan of Supernatural but I’ll definitely try this one out if it gets picked up.

29. natk says:

I been a fan of supernatural since day one no TV show be better than them if this other show looks dum its is drum