Ratings: The Bachelor, Castle and Beast Tick Up, HIMYM and Almost Human Dip

Ratings HIMYM Final SeasonABC’s The Bachelor this Monday night drew 8.2 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating (per finals), ticking up a tenth to its best demo delivery since the season opener.

Castle led out of that with 10 mil/2.1, up 10 percent and a tenth. Fun fact: ABC notes that Castle is on pace to deliver its best season to date, currently up 10 percent in weekly audience and up 8 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Are Rick and Kate Still Heading for a Wedding?

Over on CBS, How I Met Your Mother (9.3 mil/3.3) was down 14 percent from Episode 200′s season highs, 2 Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.0) and Mom (9 mil/2.4) were flat, while Mike & Molly (10.2 mil/2.7) ticked up a tenth. Intelligence (7.5 mil/1.5) grew 10 percent in audience.

RELATED | Kim Roots’ The Following Recap: Ryan Hardy Has the Worst Poker Face Ever

Fox’s Almost Human (6.4 mil/1.9) and The Following (5.8 mil/1.9) each inched down one tenth.

At NBC, Hollywood Game Night’s winter finale (5.5 mil/1.5) was flat, while some Sports Illustrated swimsuit special (3.2 mil/0.9) failed to make a splash.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.21 mil/0.4) was flat, while Beauty and the Beast (930K/0.4) rose a tenth.

1. Lauren says:

Hooray for Castle’s best season yet!

2. Just one thing says:

I’m not a ratings expert, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. But is ABC spinning that Castle fact from the standpoint of rankings opposite other TV shows? Meaning, it’s higher-ranked than it was in seasons past, vs. actual viewers/demo?

• Lauren says:

Not a dumb question. I believe (though I am not a ratings expert, either) that ABC is measuring Castle’s performance against the performance of prior seasons of the show, ratings-wise. It’s hard to measure it just against the current performance of other shows, since overall viewership fluctuates from year to year, regardless of show. I think the network likely takes into account both parameters (that is, year-to-year performance of the show, and comparison against other shows in the same time slot for the current season).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It means that CASTLE is on pace to have its most-watched season ever, and currently is matching its all-time high demo rating (season-to-date). (How shows “rank” versus the competition makes for fun “A Beat C!” headlines but ultimately is irrelevant. A show’s success/failure is determined by how it fares relative to its network’s other programs. Low man on totem pole loses, typically.)

• Just one thing says:

Thanks for clarifying! ABC spins their ratings so well, I never know how seriously to take their claims in the grand scheme of things. :P

• Eridapo says:

Most watched in terms of overall viewers but not the most watched in terms of the demo….

• Rich Abey says:

- Though I got it first time round, thanks for the detailed explanation Matt.
        - Regarding how well Castle has done relative to ABC’s other dramas, I figure the ratings are a bit below that of Grey’s & Scandal but the fact that Castle is ABC’s most watched program (dramas & comedies included) & has been so for the past 3-4yrs, it should have nothing to worry about.
        - Furthermore, how well Castle has fared with competing shows from other networks at the same timeslot should be taken into account too right? I mean Revolution & Hawaii 50 to name a few actually started bleeding viewers when competing against Castle. Even against the on-fire Blacklist, Castle is holding it’s ground well..actually better than ever!

• Apples says:

Which I can only hope shuts up those who keep bleating about how Marlowe has “ruined” Castle/Beckett this season ffs.

3. Kida says:

YAY Castle!!!

4. Allie says:

Who are these 9.2M people watching 2 Broke Girls?! That show is plain awful. CBS paying people to watch it?

Yea for Castle!!

• John NYC says:

That’s a tiny fraction of the people who watch television: so that tiny fraction finds the humor entertaining. Much like other tiny fractions that find other stuff entertaining.

Shrug.

• KT says:

I’m one of them. I think it’s funny. To each his own, I guess.

5. SK says:

Yay for Intelligence! This show keeps getting better and better. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled. I know it’s “A long shot” per the Renewal Scorecard but I hope the ratings keep going up.

• Jason says:

pilot was ok, but it is up against fierce competition. i think CBS should move it, but where?

• cjeffery7 says:

agreed. although the demo’s ultimately more important, i’m glad to see an otherwise significant gain in viewership. in a different time slot or paired with different CBS programming, it could get better numbers i think.

6. wrstlgirl says:

HA! The Bachelor……everybody loves a train wreck and this guy is like watching a 50 car pile up. Sad for Almost Human, I really enjoy the show and good news for Intelligence. BATB is terrible this season. Love Vincent and JT other than them the show has nothing to offer. The “love affair” between Vincent and Cat is a complete bust. I don’t even care if they are together or not anymore.

7. GuessWhat says:

HIMYM was such a letdown after a great ep last week. This season is best described as UNEVEN. 2 BROKE GIRLS is a dumb show — but also funny. Everyone needs at least one gulity pleasure stupid show. THE FOLLOWING continues to fall off — but not by much.

• HAP says:

Totally agree about 2 Broke Girls. As silly as it is, it is probably the most consist laugh getter of all the comedies on TV.

• KT says:

Agreed. It’s not smart, intelligent humor, but it’s good mindless entertainment and it still makes me laugh. I’m not above some low-brow humor every now and then.

8. MagicThings says:

I’m happy about “Intelligence” and fervently hoping it gets renewed and hopefully moved to a better time slot! However, I’m bummed at “Almost Human” dipping. Yesterday’s episode was the best in a long time. Michael Ealy gave a great performance with his “maker” Dr. Vaughn. I’m really hoping it gets renewed so the show can continue to explore that angle, especially now with Dr. V having gone rogue and over this mysterious “wall”.

9. John NYC says:

Castle deserved the uptick. Now that it’s been revealed they’ll be wed before the season ends each episode should gain momentum.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Um, it’s been revealed they plan to wed before the season ends.

• John NYC says:

Point taken but hey even though it’s the eternally dower inter webs why not wait to borrow trouble to when it’s closer to arriving?

Meanwhile: saving the date?…

• Just one thing says:

Well, there’s a story there. If they ARE settings things up to go wrong, or at least not “right,” holding off on details like the dress would dull the effects when the tide changes. Having Castle/Beckett on the same page about dates and venues also sets viewer expectation for things to go off without a hitch.
          I’m sure they didn’t expect the rather widespread reaction to the dress. Just as they likely didn’t expect the reaction they got to Alexis/Pi. It’s been an interesting seasons of hits and misses.

• Stormy says:

IMO It is inadvisable to calculate the number of juvenile poultry until the incubation period is completed.

10. Mikael says:

It’s very telling that the best episodes of HIMYM this year are the ones with the Mother in them. She should have been brought in years ago and the show should’ve ended when she gave birth, becoming a “mother.” And it’s really annoying that Ted is still so in love with Robin that it seems like he’s just settling for the Mother.

• Kbex says:

Totally agree I have only watched the episodes with the mother this season, it’s after all what people are turning in for no one cares about the Ted Robin thing it has gotten old and I don’t know why it’s still an issue 9 years later not to mention I HATE this time frame they are working with I would have preferred a season to show how the mother and yes fell in love and how she fits with the group so seemlessly like they have been saying for 9 years

11. bj says:

I also enjoy Intelligence.. How great was that ending this week.!

And Castle continues to be one of my favourite shows. The writers have shown how they can have the leads in a relationship and not change the pace or the dynamics of the show.

12. Im loving the BatB ratings. mainly because the show has gone seriously downhill in writing. breaking up the leads pissed alot of the fans off, and sent it to the dead zone. the ratings, even for a CW show, are dangerously low.

• ... says:

It’s gotten a 0.3 nearly every week it’s aired new episodes this season. You’re giving fan backlash too much credit – the show was just really reliant on its lead-in last year and didn’t develop enough of its own audience to change nights without flatlining.

The fact that new episodes won’t be returning until May, though, means it’s absolutely done on The CW.

13. Drew says:

Is it me or has Kristen Kreuk managed to find herself on a show that is taking a lot of storylines from Smallville? The green rock that weakens her boyfriend. The mystery of Lana–I mean Cat’s ancestor. The storyline about her father not being her father.
    She left Smallville and moved on. I think she could have done so much better than this giant step back.

14. Jake says:

I love Intelligence and Almost Human. Lets hope they both get a season 2.

15. Rich Abey says:

Proud of Castle for maintaining it’s high standards..and even more proud of my fellow fans who remain faithful to the show! :)

16. Pat says:

I was a little disappointed in HIMYM, last night. Last week was fantastic, but I can see how this whole season will not be one of the best for this show. It is really ashame because I wanted to see this last season go out with a bang. Also, good news that Beckett will be getting married this season. AGAIN, I am sure, it will not be in that YIKES OF A DRESS!!!! Yes Matt, back to that dress and ABC hoping for high ratings for the wedding episode, just to see what she really ends up wearing.

17. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Here’s my take on last night’s HIMYM episode – ‘Sunrise’: I thought it was one of S9′s best, and much better than viewers may realize. The episode was as much about Robin’s reaction to Ted’s ‘Victoria/Chicago’ news, as it was about Ted and his difficulty with letting things go. Perhaps CT/CB’s primary intention for this episode was of letting viewers see a bit more of Robin and her state-of-mind [away from Barney] on the morning of her wedding.

Ted clearly miscalculated Robin’s response to his Victoria breakup, but frankly, so did Lily. He didn’t want to tell Robin because he thought she’d feel some guilt, and Lily thought Robin should know and would be touched by the decision. Instead, upon hearing the news, Robin is frustrated and angry to the point of challenging Ted to know precisely why he and Victoria broke things off. Almost like his mother scolding young Ted for letting the dog run off with his lunch while he looked at his red balloon.

At this point, we see another Ted miscalculation regarding Robin – he didn’t want to tell her about his moving to Chicago for fear that it would devastate her, particularly on her wedding weekend. But upon hearing that news (in a rapid-fire sequence of Q-A escalation), Robin is not devastated by the news, but almost disgusted by it, leaving Ted with the ‘Don’t tell me you’re leaving for Chicago because of me’ question. That’s when Ted begins to fall to the ground – it’s not Robin who is devastated by the news, it is Ted who is devastated by Robin’s reaction to the news.

And the reason? It is not because Ted is ‘still in love’ with Robin – that boat sailed. He holds onto ‘the red balloon’ because he’s trying to hold onto Robin any way he can – at this point, through friendship, a friendship that he believed Robin cherished as much as he did. A friendship that he (and she?) believed (mistakenly?) they owned and placed above all else. Now, that dual-dependence-pact comes into question.

To be fair to Ted, he has tried to let the red balloon go many times before, he tried to get away from Robin after ‘No Pressure’ in S7 {The Broath, Good Crazy, Magician’s Code1}, and in many ways he succeeded, but she pulled him back, letting him know she valued his friendship, needed it as much as he did. So, he built his life around that belief – Robin would remain in his life – Victoria couldn’t live with that. Now that co-dependent friendship is gone: Ted needs Robin more than she needs him. The dynamic has changed – she’s the grown-up now, getting married, he’s the sentimental little boy, left behind.

So, now what? Well, CT/CB may have another little surprise awaiting us – we do know that just prior to the ceremony, Lily tells Ted that ‘the bride would like to speak with you.” The Ted-Robin ‘chess-match’ will continue – but the next move will need to be Robin’s, Ted has played out his hand now – hit rock bottom – checkmate. It is up to Robin now. Until then, after seeing ‘Sunrise’, I know I’ll never look at another red balloon in the same way again. HIMYM lives on.

• N tTVf says:

for Ted [& Robin] and the ‘Sunrise’ episode …
      ————————————————————-
      I should laugh, but I cry,
      Because your love has passed me by.
      You took me by surprise,
      I didn’t realize, that I was waiting.

Time goes slowly, but carries on,
      And now the best years, have come and gone.
      You took me by surprise,
      I didn’t realize, that you were laughing.
      ‘Laughing’ The Guess Who

18. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Also, just for completeness, here’s what I’d like to know regarding last night’s ‘Sunrise’ episode. What happened to the German pastries that Victoria shipped over to Ted along with the locket that Jeanette stole?

Are you telling me crazy Jeanette not only stole Robin’s locket, but also ate all of Ted’s pastries? That’s just unacceptable, very bad manners. Come on Jeanette!

19. Boiler says:

So Hart of Dixie has one of its higher viewerships of the year and down in demo. Doesn’t seem to make sense to me but hope viewers continue to rise. Get back to the 1.5 mill+ when on Tuesday

20. Mary says:

I really hope HoD will get renewed. Also kind of bummed about the Carrie Diaries. It’s hard to get attached to CW shows when the ones I like don’t seem to last too long!

21. Emily says:

Come on, Fox! Give Almost Human a real chance with another season!