New Girl Post-Super Bowl Recap: When Loves Try

New Girl Season 3 RecapDearly beloved, we have gathered here today to get through this thing called the post-Super Bowl-party Buffalo-wing coma. Whether you’re whooping your way through a victory lap or dabbing your tears with your team jersey – depending on how your team fared – let’s review Sunday’s special New Girl episode, dominated by recording star Prince.

ROYAL INVITE | While the guys are sitting at home debating who’ll move Jess’ undies from the dryer – and saying the word “panties” far too many times in a 90-second span – Ms. Day and Cece nearly get run over by a black SUV. But the almost-accident turns out to be a boon: The car is driven by one of Prince’s employees, who apologizes by inviting the ladies to the Purple One’s party that evening.

The boys are bummed that they can’t go; Nick, for one, was obsessed with Prince in high school (Jake Johnson, every second of that awesomely coiffed throwaway flashback was worth the time you sat in hair and makeup), and Schmidt thinks the fete might be a good place to find cooler friends. (Harsh even for him, no?)

Just before the limo pulls away, Nick bares his heart to Jess… who has a surprising reaction. “Did Nick just tell me he loved me for the first time?” Jess asks Cece as the car speeds toward the event. “And did I do ‘finger guns’ back?” To her chagrin, the answer to both questions is yes.

At the same time, Nick laments that he’s gotten too serious too soon, and he wants to take the sentiment back. So the male roomies take the natural next step: They crash the party so Nick can un-say he loves Jess.

RELATEDNew Girl Vs. Mindy Project’s Winter Finale: Which Romantic Twist Was More Aww-some?

NOTHING TO FEAR BUT PRINCE HIMSELF | Through various means that aren’t that funny, the men eke their way into the fiesta. But when Nick finds Jess – who’s very happy to see him – she has a panic attack and passes out before she can voice her feelings. They’re trying to work it out when Prince shows up, declares they need his help and then tells Nick to scram so he can inform Jess that she’s scared to voice her feelings. The Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince then realizes he’s got his work cut out for him.

That work includes, in this order: pancakes, various wardrobe changes, ping-pong, butterfly charming and aversion therapy. It’s exactly as odd as it sounds. Jess’ tutelage is capped with some Prince-whispering that’s straight out of a Saturday Night Live sketch, then she’s running back into the party and declaring her love for her very inebriated boyfriend. (Speaking of SNL, didn’t Nick’s anti-Victoria’s Secret-model rant smack of Bobby Moynihan’s Drunken Uncle?) The lovebirds’ relationship patched, Prince calls his student up to the stage, where she croons “Don’t you wanna fall in love tonight?” beside the pop star. Everyone, including a Schmidt newly recommitted to his pals, dances along.

RELATED | New Girl Scoop: Linda Cardellini Cast as Jess’ Sis

BUT DID IT REALLY HAPPEN? | Back at the loft, the gang sits in happy shock and wonders how Jess knew the words to the song. “I think Prince is magic,” is all she can offer. But wait, where’s Cece? Don’t worry – she’s back at the mansion, kicking Prince’s purple behind at ping-pong.

The installment is not New Girl‘s sharpest, though Prince’s willingness to poke fun at his eccentric image is a fun surprise. Still, I didn’t laugh out loud once during the half hour. Throughout, I wondered what The Mindy Project would’ve/could’ve done with such a powerful time slot at its disposal.

But now we want to hear what you thought. Grade the episode via the poll below, then explain yourself in the comments!

1. Guy says:

Would rather have watched The Mindy Project tbh.

2. catelyn says:

what i don’t quite understand is why they would give this slot to New Girl a show in its third season when they could have aired Brooklyn 99/Enlisted right after.

• Shaun says:

Enlisted isn’t very funny.

• catelyn says:

My argument isn’t about what’s funnier as that is a matter of opinion. I find all three shows funny. I just think the SB slot should have been given to new shows with a chance to build an audience not a show in its third season.

• Suzy Six says:

Ummmm….PRINCE! New Girl is his favorite show. If he had wanted to be on The Mindy Project, it would have gotten the slot. Havent ya heard? Prince is magic! :D

3. Molly says:

Should have been the Mindy Project. New Girl has not been as strong as it was last season, but Mindy Project is on fire. The Danny/Mindy makeout session was so worth a post-Superbowl episode.

• Patrick says:

TMP may have improved, but it is probably too late. The first season was just mediocre. At best. It was decent in parts, and horrible in parts. It took them too long to find their footing, kind of like Parks and Rec. Only Fox isn’t NBC, so it may not get a third season. Fox can’t afford to waste a highly viewed slot like post SB on a lame duck.

• Eric says:

TMP hasn’t officially been renewed, but wasn’t it hinted at by the head of the network (or whoever) that it is very likely that they will be renewing the show?

• SR says:

LOL the superbowl audience couldn’t care less about a Mindy/Danny makeout session. The Mindy Project would’ve been a terrible post-super bowl slot because it’s VERY female skewed and it doesn’t have a strong enough ensemble to appeal to a broader audience.

• pb says:

couldn’t agree more, Molly.

4. Hmmmm says:

I would have preferred that The Mindy Project have this slot as well. It has definitely been better than New Girl this season.

5. Jake says:

Jake Johnson’s reaction to prince was hilarious. I honestly have never heard more than two words from him. Zooeys voice is great!

6. Nkg says:

That song at the end was so autotuned and badly dubbed!

7. FL says:

Okay first of all. Mindy Project fans just need to get over the fact that New Girl has higher ratings than their show and need to stop coming on every New Girl article to claim its better. Secondly and most importantly, best episode of the season. Everyone was on point and who knew Prince was so great at comedy? It was great seeing the friendships back and Coach really felt like part of the group in this episode. And it was wonderful to finally see Nick and Jess tell each other they love each other. This season is getting better now and I hope they keep it up.

• Justin says:

Bless this comment so much. Thank you.

• tripoli says:

Totally agree. I love The Mindy Project but not at the expense of New Girl. Both shows have been great and not so great. New Girl was awesome tonight and earned the coveted post game spot. As a fan of The Mindy Project also, I hope it gets the chance to earn the spot as well.

• Lecholls says:

Yes. They are becoming extremely tiresome. Find another show to blame for your problems (and I actually like TMP).

8. Maria says:

What is with TMP fans?! Can’t we all just get along?! It’s not NG’s fault that TMP ratings are crap.

9. Colleen says:

New Girl is a MUCH better show than The Mindy Project. Sheesh.

I thought this was a really fun episode. I laughed a lot. The only thing I didn’t like was the Ford product placement.

• Leah says:

I will give them credit, though: I thought they played the Ford thing surprisingly well (for what it was).

• Lecholls says:

I agree that New Girl is better. In my opinion, New Girl has six great main characters that I care about. Mindy has two. The rest of the Mindy cast is interchangeable and not interesting.

And the Ford thing was done really, really well, I thought.

10. jerry says:

What’s with all the comments being about how The Mindy Project should have gotten the post-Superbowl slot? It has consistently done the worst out if FOX’s comedy block despite having the new girl lead-in, and I think it has been given a good chance. I personally didn’t watch The Mindy Project past the first few episodes, but it just didn’t catch on. FOX needs to give their Tuesday comedy line-up a boost, and New Girl is clearly the more iconic show, plus Brooklyn Nine Nine is clearly the only hope for FOX to actually improve ratings, so these two get it.

• Justin says:

Exactly. Mindy Project fan’s don’t get it. Oh well, it’ll most likely be canceled in May anyway.

• Jillian says:

Quality > Quantity.

• RP says:

It’s even doing worse than Dads now, which really says something. The hate is ridiculous, and just has more fans dropping off between NG and TMP each week. There might be a small pocket of fans consistently bashing NG in favor of TMP all over the internet, but the numbers speak for themselves.

11. eddie says:

i watched this show for the first time since the pilot….. this episode was not very funny, especially when considering its timeslot. brooklyn 9-9 was pretty funny and probably should have aired first.

• neha says:

I was just about to say – B99 was fantastic! New Girl was just lazy writing. The whole “I can’t say I love you back because I’m scared” thing has been done about a million times already, and it wasn’t even that different from when Justin Long’s character told her. They basically just relied on Prince’s presence to carry the episode.

12. Shelli says:

I was disappointed and very close to falling asleep during NG. Glad I didn’t because Brooklyn Nine Nine was awesome!

13. Jenny says:

I like both shows to be honest. and New Girl has lost it’s footing a bit, but I won’t give up on it. I think the mindy project has found its footing and I really hope it continues and doesn’t get cancelled. I was waiting for a nick/jess I love you moment, but I was hoping for something better. Something more real.

14. Diz says:

Enjoyed New Girl. It has not been that good this season but this was a fun episode.

15. Jillian says:

The lineup should have been B99 then Mindy Project. Fox wasted a golden opportunity to shine light on its two best comedies. Regardless, B99 should have immediately followed the game. It was more appealing to a “football audience” and it could have benefited more from that time slot by gaining new eyes which could help ratings in the long run. Wasted opportunity by Fox.

16. arggghhh says:

Missed the first five minutes because I wasn’t home. I understand if a show starts late so I set the news to tape after Brooklyn 9-9. I was so confused during the entire show. Way to screw over fans of the show who have no interest in football.

17. Teag says:

When did it start? I got a bunch of idiot fans partying and even extended it an hour late.

18. Bowtiesarecool says:

Mindy Project needs to die. If Kahling just wants to write something where she makes out with hot boys then do it in a blog or a diary. The show is average at best and irritating at it’s worst.
    Let. It. Die.

• Patrick says:

She just isn’t a lead. I disliked her on The Office. She was good when she made a throwaway joke or statement, but she just sucked when she was the focus. Same for TMP. I know that my opinion is based on her looks (body type, not ethnicity). I don’t watch TV to see a normal looking girl. I want to see good looking people do stuff. It is escapism.

And I don’t get her unwarranted ego. She seems to think she is gorgeous and super talented. She is neither.

19. leigh says:

This episode was very boring. As a first time viewer I had expected better, but it was boring and not very funny. The whole panty conversation turned me off and I couldn’t wait for the Episode to be over after that. B99 was hilarious, though.

20. RP says:

When will fans of TMP finally learn that putting down the show that is your lead-in and somehow takes half a million fans with it when it’s over every Tuesday, will only KILL your show in the process?!?! NG got this slot back in MAY, and B99 deserved the second one because it’s just that GOOD. They could have easily given it to TMP, but clearly they didn’t think it would deliver. I hope if TMP is renewed, it’s time slot is far, FAR away from NG next year so we can stop these ridiculous comparisons. You can’t like both? You can’t like one without putting down the other?

21. Phyllis Strickland says:

They both suck.

22. JessieB says:

If my Super Bowl buzz didn’t make me laugh throughout this episode, I would hate to have experienced it sober – though Nick’s reaction to seeing Prince had me cracking up well into the commercial break. Honestly, if it wasn’t for Nick/Jake Johnson, I’m not sure I would continue to watch, and even then I’m doing it out of habit.

I feel as though they could have done so much more with this story. Nick tells Jess he loves her. That’s huge in any relationship, tv or otherwise, and I had been looking forward to the moment when one of them inevitably blurted it out. Alas, Nick was the one who did it, but we were treated to less about Nick and Jess as a couple and more about Prince. And Coach. WHY WON’T HE LEAVE?

23. Matt says:

I’d hate to be one of “those” fans, especially since I love both shows to death, but I kinda get what people mean when they say they would’ve rather seen The Mindy Project in lieu of New Girl. NG is clearly far more buzzy and successful, which is why it doesn’t need that kind of promotion as far as said fans are concerned, at least not as much as TMP does. What I think a large part of them seems to be getting at is the fact that, after two and a half seasons on the air, there’s a good chance NG’s numbers are going to remain stagnant, while The Mindy Project just might still be new and fresh enough not to have missed its window completely.
    Now, as far as the quality of these two shows is concerned, New Girl hasn’t been quite as sharp this year, especially compared to what was pretty much a stellar second season. I haven’t really been able to put my finger on what’s causing this slump, but I’m still very fond of the show in general. The Mindy Project, on the other hand, has had a fantastic season so far, much like New Girl last year. But as it’s been pointed out, the problem here is that it had a somewhat shaky freshman run; whereas New Girl has been more or less consistently solid since day one, The Mindy Project was equal parts amazing and average in its first season. New Girl also benefited from a much stronger lead-in when it first premiered, which allowed it to build a larger audience from the start, and that in turn helped the show maintain solid numbers even when it began to shed viewers. The Mindy Project has pretty much been struggling since it premiered.
    Of course, Fox is is no way obligated to indulge the fans of any show, and clearly they’re going to go with the show that a) is superior ratings-wise and therefore more profitable, and b) is new and/or relevant enough to still have the ability to find an audience. New Girl, having already proved to have a certain amount of staying power and relevant in terms of critical reception, has become enough of a staple to be somewhat of an obvious choice for the post-Super Bowl slot. And then we have Brooklyn-Nine-Nine, a show with what I think have been generally positive reviews and, as of recently, two Golden Globes (even though it would have aired after New Girl regardless of its win). At the end of the day, Fox had a reason for airing the two shows it aired.
    So, the point I probably could have made without going on for so long is that while I understand people wanting to see The Mindy Project instead of New Girl, it’s also not exactly rocket science why the network aired what it did. But that’s just my view on things.

• Lecholls says:

I like The Mindy Project. It’s pretty funny, and it has improved since it began. That said, I disagree about comparing TMP this season to New Girl last season. I don’t think TMP even comes close.

• Matt says:

I see how it was a bit presumptuous of me to make that kind of comparison, especially since everyone is going to have their own opinion based on what they like or don’t like. So while I could easily compare The Mindy Project’s second season to New Girl’s second season in terms of quality, it’s going to be based on what appeals to me personally, and clearly that can’t apply to everyone, since every viewer has their own unique taste and set of standards. Which is great and perfectly understandable! So I definitely see your point.

24. Liz says:

My DVR picked it up about 5 minutes too late, and I watched the episode thinking that I had missed an entire previous episode. Very frustrating for fans of the show that have it set to a series recording. I couldn’t bring myself to continue watching the disaster of a football game that came on before. Oh well.

• murley says:

i had to wait and watch it today on hulu because of that exact same reason. i loved how bizarre and oddball the whole thing was. prince was great and coach is finally feeling like a seamless member of the group. the whole exchange about the car with the four guys was hilarious. product placement at its finest.

25. Brandon says:

As a fan of all the current Fox comedies (sorry but Dads hasn’t grown on me yet), I honestly love the pairing of NG and TMP… They compliment each other in style/tone, without being absolutely ridiculous…
    Fox’s Tuesday Night Comedy line up should be as follows: Raising Hope, Brooklyn 99, New Girl, The Mindy Project… or some version of this… Enlisted is ok and Raising Hope is a close (in my opinion to my favs: Parks and Rec, Community, NG, TMP), but Friday night is where comedies go to die… Friday nights haven’t been relavant since TGIF!